Fixed/Single Speed Commuting

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    cjcp wrote:
    BoardinBob wrote:
    Disaster this morning :lol:

Sprinting past a bus this morning and the chain suddenly fell off, feet shot off the pedals and the bools and dagger battered off the top tube! I was level with the front wheels of the bus when it happened but i just managed to stop my self going under them. I put the chain back on and took it east for the rest of the ride and it was fine.

Possible causes??

a) My heel hitting the chain and lifting it off the front ring?

or

b) Lateral movement as I was sprinting helped the chain jump off the front ring?

or

c) There's not enough tension in the chain and I need to remove another link?

I reckon it's C so I'll take another link out the chain tonight

How old is your chain and is it well lubed? Mine came off twice last night when/just after I'd changed gear and I have a feeling that it's because the links are a bit stiff, so when the travels round the chainring when I'm changing gear, it lifts off the chainring. I've decided that it's time for a new chain and cassette.
    Defo check for stiff links. I'm re-lubing every other day and still having problems. The salt on the roads is bunging everything up
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    ANyone getting probs with freewheels becoming clogged up with road grime? Any solutions for this? I was gonna grease the thing up (so to speak)......

Ta

G
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    gtvlusso wrote:
    ANyone getting probs with freewheels becoming clogged up with road grime? Any solutions for this? I was gonna grease the thing up (so to speak)......

Ta

G

Yep mine was full of brown grimy water and sounded like i'd used sand as lube, I've replaced it with a new one, flushed the old one through then socked it in 3 in 1 it's seems to be pretty smooth now but not sure for how long or if it was worth the time and effort given how cheap replacements are.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    cjcp wrote:
    BoardinBob wrote:

Sprinting past a bus this morning and the chain suddenly fell off, feet shot off the pedals and the bools and dagger battered off the top tube! I was level with the front wheels of the bus when it happened but i just managed to stop my self going under them. I put the chain back on and took it east for the rest of the ride and it was fine.

Possible causes??

or

b) Lateral movement as I was sprinting helped the chain jump off the front ring?

or

How old is your chain and is it well lubed? Mine came off twice last night when/just after I'd changed gear and I have a feeling that it's because the links are a bit stiff, so when the travels round the chainring when I'm changing gear, it lifts off the chainring. I've decided that it's time for a new chain and cassette.

Not much call for cassettes and gear changing while 'Fixed / SS commuting' though :roll: :wink:
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    My chain has been falling off a lot in the last month.
    If I hit a bump whilst I'm pedalling fast off it would jump
    The reason for this was quite epic chain stretch..it was over 2 links longer. Chain was quite rusty too

I put another chain on but I think I will need a new spocket too...it is looking nasty...and maybe a chainring...it is looking spikey. The chain isn't falling off now however, just the odd bit of slipping

unshipping the chain on a single speed isn't a death dealing issue
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    vorsprung wrote:
    The reason for this was quite epic chain stretch..it was over 2 links longer. Chain was quite rusty too

I put another chain on but I think I will need a new spocket too...it is looking nasty...and maybe a chainring...it is looking spikey. The chain isn't falling off now however, just the odd bit of slipping

Can be if your riding fixed and the chain jams between the dropouts and the cog...
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    vorsprung wrote:

Can be if your riding fixed and the chain jams between the dropouts and the cog...

Jash... you manned up yet?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Clever Pun wrote:
    vorsprung wrote:

No; fixed is clearly for tweed toting freaks... :lol:

I'll think about it but i do love my freewheel.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    edited January 2009
    Clever Pun wrote:
    vorsprung wrote:

Yeah, Jash... come on! :wink:

EDIT:

Boooooooooooooooooooooooo MTFU.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung wrote:

Yet another reason to ride single speed freewheel instead
  • Clever Pun
    vorsprung wrote:
    vorsprung wrote:

seems people lack the gumption required...poor show
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • vorsprung
    Clever Pun wrote:
    vorsprung wrote:
    vorsprung wrote:

Nah, you are just riding the fixie as you saw it in iD magazine and liked the shiney chainrings
    Whereas my single speed conversion bike is made from old junk and gumption
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    itboffin wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

Ta

G

Yep mine was full of brown grimy water and sounded like i'd used sand as lube, I've replaced it with a new one, flushed the old one through then socked it in 3 in 1 it's seems to be pretty smooth now but not sure for how long or if it was worth the time and effort given how cheap replacements are.

3 in 1 eww it's like vegetable oil, any dirt or grime is positively attracted to it, I won't have the stuff in the house.

Oh and +1 for freewheel use, I don't want to start learning fixed in rush hour traffic and frankly I enjoy descending hills without the pain and panic, must admit that I rarely hear the click of my freewheel though, always thought it odd that people like the sound of their freewheels when the should generally be MTFUing and pedalling.

I ride my SS like it's fixed 99 % of the time
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Clever Pun
    vorsprung wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    vorsprung wrote:
    vorsprung wrote:

Nah, you are just riding the fixie as you saw it in iD magazine and liked the shiney chainrings
    Whereas my single speed conversion bike is made from old junk and gumption

don't assume dear boy...

it's a flip flop... I bought it for commuting in cr@ppy weather and does the job a treat
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • itboffin
    Just completed 43 miles on the single speed 8) (HOTA training) and my chain popped off 2 miles from home on a rapid downhill, inspection revealed a sloppy chain and I know it was just right when i set out, now I don't think for one minute that I'm a powerful or even good rider but is it possible that the axle or nut are worn?

Both the chain & freewheel are new.

www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=3679
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    don_don wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    BoardinBob wrote:

Possible causes??

or

or

Not much call for cassettes and gear changing while 'Fixed / SS commuting' though :roll: :wink:

:lol: Fair point - when I posted this morning, I just "commuting" and thought it was the SCR thread.

Just for you boys and girls, and the hypothetical martian who's just landed, stumbled upon this thread and wondering what a "cassette" is, it's one of these...

CS6600.jpeg

:wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • don_don
    itboffin wrote:
    Just completed 43 miles on the single speed 8) (HOTA training) and my chain popped off 2 miles from home on a rapid downhill, inspection revealed a sloppy chain and I know it was just right when i set out, now I don't think for one minute that I'm a powerful or even good rider but is it possible that the axle or nut are worn?

Has your rear wheel slipped a little? Maybe a bit of excess grease on the face of the nut or something like that. I find I need to crank my nuts up pretty tight (ooer..) to stop any slippage.
  • don_don wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Has your rear wheel slipped a little? Maybe a bit of excess grease on the face of the nut or something like that. I find I need to crank my nuts up pretty tight (ooer..) to stop any slippage.

What he said... Also, chain tugs!
  • itboffin
    Will tugs fit on my non horizontal drop outs?
  • itboffin wrote:

Hmmmmm.... no! They pull the axle towards the end of the dropout, but you might be able to sit them on the back of the fork, depending on how they're designed. Wouldn't work with my ones though.

Maybe a chain tensioner instead?
  • cjcp
    Saw one of these (but in silver) on the commute through Richmond Park yetserday morning. Even I had to admit that the chap had a lovely bike.

CJ-lg.jpg
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:

Hmmmmm.... no! They pull the axle towards the end of the dropout, but you might be able to sit them on the back of the fork, depending on how they're designed. Wouldn't work with my ones though.

I have one of those but it look bugly :lol:

I think I need a new frame after all the SS is my main bike these days and yet my cheapest.
  • cjcp wrote:
    Saw one of these (but in silver) on the commute through Richmond Park yetserday morning. Even I had to admit that the chap had a lovely bike.

CJ-lg.jpg

For a gear-lover you sure do post a lot on this thread...

Join ussssssss.... :wink::D
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:

CJ-lg.jpg

That's how it starts, you covert thy neighbours ox and next thing you know .... :wink:
  • cjcp
    cjcp wrote:

CJ-lg.jpg

For a gear-lover you sure do post a lot on this thread...

Join ussssssss.... :wink::D

Not going to happen, chaps. :lol: Giving the occasional admiring glance as I pass your kind is as far as I'll ever go. :twisted:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • don_don
    itboffin wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

I think I need a new frame after all the SS is my main bike these days and yet my cheapest.

I take it then, that your frame has old-style forward facing drop-outs? You're not using a quick release by any chance?
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    itboffin writes:

> .....my chain popped off 2 miles from home on a rapid downhill, inspection revealed a sloppy chain and I know it was just right when i set out...

You could try BMX-style 'tugs (sometimes called star nuts). I'm led to believe they work with dropouts. If you try this, let me know how you get on... I've been meaning to experiment but not managed to get round to it, yet...! Otherwise good track nuts and clean dropouts are supposed to help a lot.

If this is a conversion of an old frame and the problem persists then have a long hard look at your drive-side chainstay. I've had two winter hacks die on me as a result of rust at the dimple in the chainstay that provides clearance for the chainring- in both cases the first symptom was repeated chain-throws (as a result of the chainstay flexing under load). I doubt this is your problem, though, because you lost yours when spinning, not grinding: so don't panic!

Cheers,
    W.
  • itboffin
    don_don wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

I take it then, that your frame has old-style forward facing drop-outs? You're not using a quick release by any chance?

Wash your mouth out :P
  • itboffin
    itboffin writes:

> .....my chain popped off 2 miles from home on a rapid downhill, inspection revealed a sloppy chain and I know it was just right when i set out...

You could try BMX-style 'tugs (sometimes called star nuts). I'm led to believe they work with dropouts. If you try this, let me know how you get on... I've been meaning to experiment but not managed to get round to it, yet...! Otherwise good track nuts and clean dropouts are supposed to help a lot.

If this is a conversion of an old frame and the problem persists then have a long hard look at your drive-side chainstay. I've had two winter hacks die on me as a result of rust at the dimple in the chainstay that provides clearance for the chainring- in both cases the first symptom was repeated chain-throws (as a result of the chainstay flexing under load). I doubt this is your problem, though, because you lost yours when spinning, not grinding: so don't panic!

Cheers,
    W.

It's a truely terrifying noise hearing your chain come off at speed and knowing it could stick in a spoke or wedge against the tyres and there's nothing you can do but gingerly apply the brakes, this is the third time now.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi again,
    Yeah, not nice, especially in traffic....

How's the boffinry going, BTW? I havn't been on here much recently 'cos I've recently started a new and much more demanding contract.... Are you on linkedin?

Cheers,
    W.