Fixed/Single Speed Commuting

Comments

• Cheers, I'm 68kg, these are freshly built 32H CXP33 rims, double butted spokes, Ambrosio hub on front and Goldtec on rear.

I've already ordered some GP4000Ss, so I'll see how it goes with those when they arrive. =) I reckon it's just that Gatorskins aren't great in the wet to be honest, I just wanted to check it wasn't a "fixed thing" before ordering really because like everything else fixed related I suspect cornering fixed is a completely different affair to cornering with a normal setup.. Ta all.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I use Gatorskins on my fixed with no (tyre-related) problems :)
  • These Gatorskins originally came off my main race bike and were replaced with GP4000Ss, reason being I just didn't feel comfortable cornering in the wet.

Again could have been in my head as at the time I'd just started riding the bike, but if it's not a fixed thing I'm leaning towards Gatorskins being a bit sh*t in the wet since it's twice now.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I rode all the way to work this morning without my chain snapping even once! ;):)

My LBS moved the chain ring inwards slightly to compensate for the longer axle length on my new bottom bracket. The slightly strange feeling I did have on my drive train has gone now. So hopefully this is the end of my problem!
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Chaps, your assistance please!

At the weekend I bought a vintage Raleigh frame for conversion to fixed wheel. Foolishly I forgot to take account of the Raleigh specific parts issue and having consulted Sheldon Brown I now realise my error in embarking on this venture.

HOWEVER, I shall laugh in the face of adversity and push on like the true fool I am.

So, firstly do any of you have any old Raleigh parts hanging about unwanted...and I do mean ANY, as I only have a frame at present. My main concern is getting a bottom bracket at present.

Secondly, can any of you recommend good sources for vintage parts.

I'll be posting a fuller request with my proposed rebuild specification for your input, thoughts and ridicule in the next few days, but in the meantime, any help on the above would be much appreciated.

Cheers all
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Litts,

I'd expect a Raleigh road frame from the last 20-30 years to have pretty standard parts. Are you sure the Bottom Bracket isn't a normal "British Thread" 68mm one?

..or is this an old 3-speed frame, rather than a "10-speed"?

Cheers,
    W.
  • Littigator
    Cheers Buns

I was hoping you or ITB would have some worthwhile input on this one. The frame is from mid 50s circa '54 from the frame number I've got so probably has the wider BB housing, either 71mm or 76mm.

I'm waiting on its delivery at the mo so haven't measured it yet.

I know I can probably get a Phil Woods hub to fit (but that's an expensive option. I could also get it rethreaded if the TPI is 26 rather than 24 so it would then fit most standard stuff, but again I'd rather avoid that, so any Raleigh parts pre 80s should offer a fit.

I'll let you know how I get on once I've measured it. I was going to post a full spec once it's arrvied but was keen to start getting some feedback if anyone had info.

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Littigator wrote:
    Chaps, your assistance please!

At the weekend I bought a vintage Raleigh frame for conversion to fixed wheel. Foolishly I forgot to take account of the Raleigh specific parts issue and having consulted Sheldon Brown I now realise my error in embarking on this venture.

HOWEVER, I shall laugh in the face of adversity and push on like the true fool I am.

So, firstly do any of you have any old Raleigh parts hanging about unwanted...and I do mean ANY, as I only have a frame at present. My main concern is getting a bottom bracket at present.

Secondly, can any of you recommend good sources for vintage parts.

I'll be posting a fuller request with my proposed rebuild specification for your input, thoughts and ridicule in the next few days, but in the meantime, any help on the above would be much appreciated.

Cheers all

Hey LITTs as Buns has pointed out Raleigh UK cycles use standard parts in fact you can buy genuine replacements direct on-line, however you need to watch out for frame clearance when selecting cranksets.

Any English thread 68mm BB should fit, BB length just depends on your choice of finishing kit. I totally lucked out by finding a local cycle shop that stocks Raleigh parts, very handy for the more simple & cheap replacement parts, stems, bolts, etc.

I tried to fit a Miche track BB to my 531 frame but the axle was far to short, so the hunt continues until I finally find the perfect BB match for my vintage Campagnolo cranks.

Shame I can't find anyone who imports Raleigh USA bikes, they look pretty cool.
    http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/road/rush-hour/

Good luck on your honourable quest.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Littigator wrote:
    Cheers Buns

I was hoping you or ITB would have some worthwhile input on this one. The frame is from mid 50s circa '54 from the frame number I've got so probably has the wider BB housing, either 71mm or 76mm.

I'm waiting on its delivery at the mo so haven't measured it yet.

I know I can probably get a Phil Woods hub to fit (but that's an expensive option. I could also get it rethreaded if the TPI is 26 rather than 24 so it would then fit most standard stuff, but again I'd rather avoid that, so any Raleigh parts pre 80s should offer a fit.

I'll let you know how I get on once I've measured it. I was going to post a full spec once it's arrvied but was keen to start getting some feedback if anyone had info.

Litts, I know this is entirely NOT specific to your Raleigh frame, but on my old commuter I used to have a total mare getting parts - I almost always ended up talking to BMX people to get the more 'old school' non-standard bits.

Also, I used to spend a lot of time on the phone to chain reaction cycles, they import a lot of bits from america, and can often help you out.

HTH!! (see how I learn and employ interweb-speak.. I'm thinking of addin git to my CV).
  • TBH, buy a lathe and make a whole load of bespoke bits and shimmy things!
  • Littigator
    Cheers LiT, that was my fear and it does seem that a lot of BMX stuff has weird and wonderful sizings, but I've found this rather marvellous website

http://www.cyclesofyesteryear.com

I can get a Heron embossed chainset for just a tenner! Yeehah! Expect to see me riding a bespoke fixed gear vintage Raleigh wearing plus fours and a leather elbow-padded jacket whilst smoking a pipe next time you see me!

Ride-whenever, I'll lathe you ya cheeky &%^^$$£& :wink:

• Littigator wrote:
    Cheers LiT, that was my fear and it does seem that a lot of BMX stuff has weird and wonderful sizings, but I've found this rather marvellous website

I can get a Heron embossed chainset for just a tenner! Yeehah! Expect to see me riding a bespoke fixed gear vintage Raleigh wearing plus fours and a leather elbow-padded jacket whilst smoking a pipe next time you see me!

Nice site!

I just nearly exploded when I saw the old-school-tourer-style horizontal and drop combined levers... downgrade the Bowery to rod brakes? Hmmmmmmm maybe not. I do want those levers though.

Litts in a few weeks:

cyclistgentS.jpg
  • itboffin
    edited November 2008
    Unless you encounter any hills then we'd expect to see you pushing your 4 ton bike :P
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • apparently rod brakes work fine when combined with hub brakes... either pashley or gazelle do them and they look gorgeous with all the chrome parts. I want one of these badboys, that i'd run fixed for round town madness. There is one hanging up in my lbs, and it is totally droolworthy...

main_47.jpeg
  • Littigator
    Yeah I saw one of those in CycleSurgery in Selfridges...completely OTT but beautiful nonetheless.

I was toying with putting rod brakes on my restore project but think I will settle for a single front side pull for now.

• In what way is it OTT (other than having 3 gears?)
  • Littigator
    DUDE!!!! Just look at the damn thing, those swooshed back handlebars, a double sprung saddle and that LIGHT on the front....it is so obviously a "modern interpretation of a timeless classic" spoken in soft hollywood voice

• Littigator
    Littigator wrote:

Nice site!

I just nearly exploded when I saw the old-school-tourer-style horizontal and drop combined levers... downgrade the Bowery to rod brakes? Hmmmmmmm maybe not. I do want those levers though.

Litts in a few weeks:

cyclistgentS.jpg

That's me that's me (bouncing up and down)

O oh, do I really have to grow a beard :?

• Littigator wrote:
    DUDE!!!! Just look at the damn thing, those swooshed back handlebars, a double sprung saddle and that LIGHT on the front....it is so obviously a "modern interpretation of a timeless classic" spoken in soft hollywood voice

Actually it's a triple spring saddle, and you've neglected the hand stiched leather grips... There is nothing modern about it, it is a timeless classic...
  • Littigator
    Dammit I missed a spring!

Actually, it's not too unlike the look I'm aiming for with the Raleigh, lots of chrome and brown leather saddle, bar tape, except, I'll have bullhorn bars and a single front brake and the frame is British racing green.

what make is it?

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    GregT, Itboffin... where'd you pick up your miche ring from?

I've got an outter piece (with the curved indents) to go on the bike but I don't have the inner screw on piece... where would I get that from?

thanks guys

PS the lockring spanner worked a charm greg... you have yourself a pint
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • itboffin
    Clever Pun wrote:

I've got an outter piece (with the curved indents) to go on the bike but I don't have the inner screw on piece... where would I get that from?

thanks guys

I bought mine from totalcycling.com if you can wait I have a spare.
  • Littigator wrote:
    Dammit I missed a spring!

Actually, it's not too unlike the look I'm aiming for with the Raleigh, lots of chrome and brown leather saddle, bar tape, except, I'll have bullhorn bars and a single front brake and the frame is British racing green.

what make is it?

Pashley Phantom, walton street cycles have one, as they're not being made in the chrome any more...

On a separate note, who has seen the new dia compe stuff, all anodised in funky colours, awesome hubs, calipers, cx levers, bars and the most gorgeous cranks...

I can't wait for them to become available...
  • Littigator
    Not yet, what's the new line called, do you have a link for it?

• itboffin
    Another interesting parts site
    http://www.campyoldy.co.uk/stocklist.htm
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    itboffin wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

thanks guys

I bought mine from totalcycling.com if you can wait I have a spare.

http://www.totalcycling.com/index.php/product/track_sprocket_carrier.html
    ?

I need to get a crank puller as well so I'll get both
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Littigator wrote:

Litts in a few weeks:

cyclistgentS.jpg

Yep, if you're on an old Raleigh i don't think you erally have a choice...

Let me consult the rulebook......

Nope, it clearly states here that you have to grow a beard.
  • itboffin
    Pipe is optional :P
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    Littigator wrote:

Litts in a few weeks:

cyclistgentS.jpg

Yep, if you're on an old Raleigh i don't think you erally have a choice...

Let me consult the rulebook......

Nope, it clearly states here that you have to grow a beard.

Now I'm wondering where I stand with my new(ish) Touche. I certainly don't have any old Raleighs knocking about. Does that mean I have to shave my beard off?

Adjudication please..
  • Littigator
    I seem to remember from your pic posted previously, that you have a semi-trendy beard (if there is such a thing) i.e. it is neat and clipped in length (n'est pas?) if so you are fully fitted and kitted for the touche as you are although the pipe would not work on such a modern looking bike.