Fixed/Single Speed Commuting

Comments

• wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    vorsprung wrote:

> am not going to try fixed because ...
    < list of excellent reasons deleted for brevity >

That's fine. It's OK to be a wuss. Honestly....

BTW. Fixies have passed their fashion peak... Already been listed (months ago) in the Sunday Times Style section as "Going Down" in the style stakes :-)

Cheers,
    W.
  • vorsprung wrote:

> am not going to try fixed because ...
    < list of excellent reasons deleted for brevity >

That's fine. It's OK to be a wuss. Honestly....

:lol::lol:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    BTW. Fixies have passed their fashion peak... Already been listed (months ago) in the Sunday Times Style section as "Going Down" in the style stakes :-)

Good that means they'll start popping up cheap on ebay shortly :)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780

Cheers,
    W.

Good !! I wasn't trendy in school when i rode one, and in a year or so I'll be back to being the odd one out again ! good news..

what's the next big thing then ??? recumbents ? trike conversion axles ?
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    The main issues are that I have discovered I have a habit of standing up to 'readjust' my seat, and I stop pedalling while I do so. I'm sure that habit will quickly be dropped. The other problem is pedal position when stopping.

Jen; Trying to adjust the saddle whilst cycling is at best extremely dangerous. Not to mention the possible risks to other road-users of dropping your multi-tool into a busy carriageway.

I strongly suggest you dismount before attempting this in future.

:wink:
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    ITboffer, Gregt you guys got a link for a miche/campag lock ring spanner... this is open to others

It's not entirly clear what's what and since you guys have picked one up that can save me a lot of grief

the link that provides me with a purchase wins a beer

go
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • edhornby
    er parktools ?
    --Jens Voight
  • itboffin
    Clever Pun wrote:
    ITboffer, Gregt you guys got a link for a miche/campag lock ring spanner... this is open to others

It's not entirly clear what's what and since you guys have picked one up that can save me a lot of grief

go

I do indeed in fact I just bought a park tools BBT-5 last week after trying to use my FR-5 BB tool and almost killing myself.

1 Park Tool BB - Cassette Lockring Tool - BBT5 Fits Campagnolo
    ID: 41525 Unit Price: 8.99 GBP

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/

I suspect there's plenty of places cheaper out there but these guys always seem to have stock and deliver on time - oh no what have I done ....
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    So tell me good & bad people of the FGSS thread what is the deal with Miche track BB's as I just mentioned I tried installing my English thread 68mm Miche BB in three different frames all English thread 68mm, initially without the right tool but even with the tool I still could not get the ***king thing screwed all the way in, I've tried brute force, copper grease + force and bashing with heavy objects :shock: yet still it doesn't quite fit, surely that's not right?

As you will see from the picture I'm about to post the thread on the BB is twice the size of the old BB or any other BB for that matter, could that be the problem?

Help meeeee!!!!!!
  • itboffin
    86039c8a5a4144d4b6ce580103ec95de.jpg

See threads are twice the size also notice crack in old BB - :shock:
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    itboffin wrote:
    86039c8a5a4144d4b6ce580103ec95de.jpg

See threads are twice the size also notice crack in old BB - :shock:

I see.
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • itboffin
    Do not mock me 'lady' I am a man on the edge, after two days of eating seeds for lunch and dinner and nothing to drink but water my sense of humour is all that's holding me together right now.

See SCR Xmas Party thread for proof of my fragile state :shock: :? :shock:
  • Jen J
    itboffin wrote:
    Do not mock me 'lady' I am a man on the edge, after two days of eating seeds for lunch and dinner and nothing to drink but water my sense of humour is all that's holding me together right now.

Sorry, but there is only one suitable response to that...MTFU :D
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Clever Pun
    itboffin wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

go

I do indeed in fact I just bought a park tools BBT-5 last week after trying to use my FR-5 BB tool and almost killing myself.

1 Park Tool BB - Cassette Lockring Tool - BBT5 Fits Campagnolo
    ID: 41525 Unit Price: 8.99 GBP

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/

I suspect there's plenty of places cheaper out there but these guys always seem to have stock and deliver on time - oh no what have I done ....

cheers... I'll look into that

edhornby... thanks. no, really

Edit: I was expecting more of a spanner as the miche lockring looks inverted from that or does that fit inside to take it off?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Edit: I was expecting more of a spanner as the miche lockring looks inverted from that or does that fit inside to take it off?

I think this is the jobby

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17920

17920.jpg

Do I get that beer?
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    From Bike Snob-NYC:

New Fixed-Gear Bicycle Owner's Manual
    For the most part I like off-the-rack track bikes. More inexpensive entry-level anything is a good thing. It's what a lot of people are doing with these bikes that's infuriating. And manufacturers have followed suit by blithely dismissing brakes on their websites, festooning their bikes with graffiti, and naming models after trendy neighborhoods. Look to find something like this hanging off the bars at your LBS soon:

Contratulations on the purchase of your Bianchi Pista/Specialized Langster/Cannondale Capo/Jamis Sputnik or similar. Your new bicycle should give you many days of enjoyment until you tire of it for aesthetic reasons and list it on Craigslist for the full retail price in order to help fund the purchase of an NJS-certified keirin bike, a vintage Fender Telecaster, or your move to another, trendier city.

Until that moment arrives, here are some things you need to know in order to get the most enjoyment out of your new toy:

A Note on the Fixed Gear Drivetrain

Your bicycle is equipped with a fixed gear drivetrain. For this reason you may want to alter your riding style accordingly. Firstly, ride slowly. Very slowly. This is the best way to avoid obstacles. When riding with friends on city streets, in bike lanes, or in parks, it is acceptable to disregard the flow of car or bicycle traffic and ride in whichever direction you choose. Slowly. If you find yourself traveling in the same direction as traffic and encounter an intersection with a red light or turning vehicle and are unable to stop, simply turn right. Riding around the block will eventually put you back on course and save you embarrassment and injury. In fact, did you know it's possible to get to any point on an urban street grid using only right turns? Well, it is. And it's safe and fun! Remember this acronym: AAL (Always Avoid Lefts).

Furthermore, your drivetrain enables you to enjoy your bicycle without having to actually ride it more than a few feet at a time. Fun things to try include: skidding, skip-stopping, trackstanding, and putting stickers and colorful parts on it.

Upgrading

It is important to begin the process of upgrading your bicycle’s appearance immediately. This can occasionally have the side-effect of improving your bicycle’s performance as well. Fortunately there are increasing numbers of track bicycle boutique shops. These shops dispense with the selection, service, and expertise of old-fashioned bike shops and instead focus on catering to your every candy-colored whim. They can also offer you sound and practical advice. Best of all, they carry lots of cool t-shirts.

Proper Usage

Though the model name or advertising copy for your bicycle may include words like “pista,” “track,” or “entry-level racing,” in no circumstances should you attempt to use your bicycle on or for any of the above. Doing so shall void your warranty.

“Proper Usage” includes: riding slowly to the bike boutique to purchase accessories and clothing; photographing your bike for submission to on-line galleries; participation in ad-hoc skidding contests; and doing track stands for hours outside of the residence of a person you would like to impress.

Handlebars

Your handlebars are wrapped in tape made of synthetic cork. Please note that the purpose of this tape is to protect your bars during shipping. This tape should be removed immediately.

You should be aware that once the tape is removed the bars may be slippery and difficult to grip. If this is the case, remove bars from stem, invert, and re-install. Then, using a hacksaw, cut in the middle of the curved portion until the excess length is removed. Your hands will now be slightly less likely to slip from the bars due to the limited hand position. This is called “flop n’ chop,” and your bicycle is now a gelding.

Brakes

Depending on make and model, your bicycle may have been shipped with a brake or a pair of brakes pre-installed. These brakes should only be used in emergencies. Once you are comfortable bringing the bicycle to a safe and complete stop without using the brakes, they should be removed and discarded.

The term “safe and complete stop” means bringing the bicycle from 5mph to 0mph in a distance of no more than 50 feet.

Safety

Whenever operating your bicycle, safety should be your primary concern. Be sure to have a qualified mechanic install a top-tube pad immediately.
    Thanks very much for your purchase, and welcome to the exciting world of track cycling!
  • Jen J
    From Bike Snob-NYC:

For the most part I like off-the-rack track bikes. More inexpensive entry-level anything is a good thing. It's what a lot of people are doing with these bikes that's infuriating. And manufacturers have followed suit by blithely dismissing brakes on their websites, festooning their bikes with graffiti, and naming models after trendy neighborhoods. Look to find something like this hanging off the bars at your LBS soon:

Contratulations on the purchase of your Bianchi Pista/Specialized Langster/Cannondale Capo/Jamis Sputnik or similar. Your new bicycle should give you many days of enjoyment until you tire of it for aesthetic reasons and list it on Craigslist for the full retail price in order to help fund the purchase of an NJS-certified keirin bike, a vintage Fender Telecaster, or your move to another, trendier city.

Until that moment arrives, here are some things you need to know in order to get the most enjoyment out of your new toy:

A Note on the Fixed Gear Drivetrain

Your bicycle is equipped with a fixed gear drivetrain. For this reason you may want to alter your riding style accordingly. Firstly, ride slowly. Very slowly. This is the best way to avoid obstacles. When riding with friends on city streets, in bike lanes, or in parks, it is acceptable to disregard the flow of car or bicycle traffic and ride in whichever direction you choose. Slowly. If you find yourself traveling in the same direction as traffic and encounter an intersection with a red light or turning vehicle and are unable to stop, simply turn right. Riding around the block will eventually put you back on course and save you embarrassment and injury. In fact, did you know it's possible to get to any point on an urban street grid using only right turns? Well, it is. And it's safe and fun! Remember this acronym: AAL (Always Avoid Lefts).

Furthermore, your drivetrain enables you to enjoy your bicycle without having to actually ride it more than a few feet at a time. Fun things to try include: skidding, skip-stopping, trackstanding, and putting stickers and colorful parts on it.

Upgrading

It is important to begin the process of upgrading your bicycle’s appearance immediately. This can occasionally have the side-effect of improving your bicycle’s performance as well. Fortunately there are increasing numbers of track bicycle boutique shops. These shops dispense with the selection, service, and expertise of old-fashioned bike shops and instead focus on catering to your every candy-colored whim. They can also offer you sound and practical advice. Best of all, they carry lots of cool t-shirts.

Proper Usage

Though the model name or advertising copy for your bicycle may include words like “pista,” “track,” or “entry-level racing,” in no circumstances should you attempt to use your bicycle on or for any of the above. Doing so shall void your warranty.

“Proper Usage” includes: riding slowly to the bike boutique to purchase accessories and clothing; photographing your bike for submission to on-line galleries; participation in ad-hoc skidding contests; and doing track stands for hours outside of the residence of a person you would like to impress.

Handlebars

Your handlebars are wrapped in tape made of synthetic cork. Please note that the purpose of this tape is to protect your bars during shipping. This tape should be removed immediately.

You should be aware that once the tape is removed the bars may be slippery and difficult to grip. If this is the case, remove bars from stem, invert, and re-install. Then, using a hacksaw, cut in the middle of the curved portion until the excess length is removed. Your hands will now be slightly less likely to slip from the bars due to the limited hand position. This is called “flop n’ chop,” and your bicycle is now a gelding.

Brakes

Depending on make and model, your bicycle may have been shipped with a brake or a pair of brakes pre-installed. These brakes should only be used in emergencies. Once you are comfortable bringing the bicycle to a safe and complete stop without using the brakes, they should be removed and discarded.

The term “safe and complete stop” means bringing the bicycle from 5mph to 0mph in a distance of no more than 50 feet.

Safety

Whenever operating your bicycle, safety should be your primary concern. Be sure to have a qualified mechanic install a top-tube pad immediately.
    Thanks very much for your purchase, and welcome to the exciting world of track cycling!

Yay! I knew I was doing something right!
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Brilliant - you're on form today Jash.
  • Clever Pun
    Greg T wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

I think this is the jobby

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17920

17920.jpg

Do I get that beer?

if it works... yes

is it the one you're using? that's why I asked you two
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • itboffin
    Oops my bad, yes that fellow, I have one of those as well and it is possible to over tighten your RING!
  • Jen J
    Anyone do this? I'm thinking if I ever go straight off the back, it'll be accidental rather than planned...

From Sheldon Brown

Dismount Technique
    You can dismount in the normal manner from a fixed-gear bicycle, but advanced fixed-gear riders might enjoy learning a special, very cool-looking dismount that can only be done from a fixed gear:

Instead of getting off to the side of the bicycle, the fixed-gear rider can go straight off the back. This technique works best if you ride with clips & straps, but if you are really proficient in disengaging from clipless pedals, try it at your own risk.

As the bicycle slows to near walking speed, disengage your left foot, then wait for the right pedal to get to the bottom of its circle. As the right pedal starts to rise, straighten your right leg and let the motion of the pedal lift you up. Let go of the handlebars, let the saddle move forward between your legs, and put your left foot on the ground. As the bike goes ahead, grab it by the saddle.

It takes a bit of courage to try this, but it is actually very easy to do. It is also extremely impressive to watch. When executed properly, it is very smooth, and you can go from riding to walking in a single fluid motion, without ever coming to a stop.
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • itboffin
    tut tut next thing you know you'll be trying to mount your bike by swinging your legs over the handlebars.

Yes some people really DO
  • Jen J
    itboffin wrote:
    tut tut next thing you know you'll be trying to mount your bike by swinging your legs over the handlebars.

I'll be sure to add that to the list of 'Things to practice this weekend'
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • itboffin
    I have just finished fettling with my SS chain line only to find my original set-up was already spot on give or take 1mm, I'd simply miscalculated my rear axle measurements, what a fcuk-nut :?
  • itboffin
    Whilst breaking then fixing my SS yesterday I came across the following website www.velobase.com whilst it doesn't contain every cycling component it does have a pretty extensive dB, really helpful if like me you're trying to restore or rebuild old bikes.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Clever Pun wrote:
    17920.jpg

if it works... yes

is it the one you're using? that's why I asked you two

I've got this one.

I've got a dura ace lockring on the back, not a miche one.

like this

duraring.jpg

I use the single tooth end in one of the slots and lever through the bent bit. I do of course spend five minutes sucking my teeth trying to work out which way the thread runs (answer = the other way to that which you try first)
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Jash that post was hilarious, I always love his stuff when I happen across it but forget to read his blog regularly.

ITB that is one very very serious looking website my friend. But having just completely renovated a BSA and hoping to get my hands on a vintage Claude Butler to which I'll do the same shortly,.it could come in VERRRRY handy...cheers!
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • edhornby
    itboffin wrote:

he he - the other one is leave the leg straight on the fixie and let it flick you over the top of the saddle

however there is a sensible reason for foot over the bars to dismount - as the pilot on a tandem, because sometimes the stoker gets kicked in the face
    --Jens Voight
  • itboffin
    edhornby wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

he he - the other one is leave the leg straight on the fixie and let it flick you over the top of the saddle

however there is a sensible reason for foot over the bars to dismount - as the pilot on a tandem, because sometimes the stoker gets kicked in the face

:lol: that made me laugh out loud I could just picture a couple out there on a tandem having one of those crappy days, cold & wet and lost then arriving when everything is shut, the pilot dismounting with a swift kick to the face "Oh sorry did it kick you?" :twisted:

:lol:
  • mcmullej
    mcmullej Posts: 136
    Hello.... I'm a noob and I have a stupid question....

I've been commuting on my Bowery for 2 months now and I love it. It's served me well. No major problems.

But I'm thinking about getting some new wheels for it. It'd be nice to get some that are better than the Alex ones it came with - ie lighter, stronger etc.

But the main reason is to have a spare set just in case I ever need them. When I commuted on my old Marin MTB I needed a second set of wheels because one set were always in the LBS getting re-trued.

So the front wheel is just a front wheel right? I can stick anything on there including quick-release right? (see I did say it was a stupid question).

But my LBS says I need to buy a set of dedicated track wheels and the cheapest are around £350 - ie £125 more than I paid for the bike!

Is there somewhere I can buy decent wheels that are all ready set to go onto my Bowery? Do I need to look into conversion kits for road wheels? (what do these do? is it just a single cog freewheel thingie to go where the casette goes??).

What's the difference between a road wheel and a track-wheel?

Thx.

BTW, loads of people on here have Bowerys, am I the only one thinking about upgrading the wheels?