Fixed/Single Speed Commuting

Comments

• I just find that if I spin really fast (on the roadie/spinning class) my knees overextend. My knees bend backwards, not much, but enough to put pressure on the meniscus and the cartilage in the wrong places, so it hurts if I overextend them too regularly.

Practice makes perfect I suppose!

And the law of moments means that I'm pushing harder than someone on a longer crank... interesting!

The Gollum bike had longer ones, I think, as I had more trouble with pedal strike on it, but a higher gear. Maybe that's why I noticed less of a difference.

Or maybe I'm spouting rubbish. :D
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I just find that if I spin really fast (on the roadie/spinning class) my knees overextend. My knees bend backwards, not much, but enough to put pressure on the meniscus and the cartilage in the wrong places, so it hurts if I overextend them too regularly.

your seat is too high then surely?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I dropped my seat down from my previous road bike position when I found my high rpm steady state had me bouncing too much.

If your legs are straightening you are defo too high

It felt a bit weird to have more bend in my knee at the bottom of the stroke and I'm not sure I've over dropped the level but my bouncing has decreased.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Interesting... Maybe that's the issue. I don't spin fast enough on the fixie for it to be an issue, but I will drop the seat on the roadie/spinning bike and see!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Pah! This is what happens when they stop teaching science at school! :-)

You don't have to understand it, anyway- just plug in your numbers.

Using the Halfrauds 5f- set up as per the instructions and instead of entering your wheel size to read speed, enter:

1670*(46/14)=5490 (for LiT's 46/14)
    or
    1670*( 48/18 )=4450 (GregT's current 48/18 )

Easy- the work's done for you. You don't even need to faff around with longer wires or extra magnets.

A different computer may have a different adjustment (eg cm instead of mm or radius instead of circumference). Just ask.

Cheers,
    W.

It all makes perfect sense to me Bun's but do you/we have to round up are whole numbers needed?

PS. I bought a cycle computer from Tchibo for £6 today.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    edited October 2008
    Does anyone have any knowledge of Charge bikes? My work has finally sorted out the cycle to work scheme, but we have to go through Evans.

I'm more-or-less certain that I want a single speed (I'm only going to be commuting in the flattest parts of London, never left the highest gear on my old mountain bike, been enjoying the battered old fixi I acquired recently) and Charge seem to be the range they carry. There's a review of the Plug on here - http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/plug-07-20542 - but I'm after a cheaper one, I reckon...

Before you splash out on the Charge which is a good bike take a look at the Fuji track http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fuji/track-2008-single-speed-road-bike-ec016010 not sure where you're based but The Cut Evans store has most of the current off the peg SS/Fixed side by side, with me being a bit of a SS tart I did notice that the Fuji had a much nicer spec, generally speaking. At the end of the day you should go for a test ride on a couple of different bikes, that will make the choice for you.

Better yet why not go to the Cycle 2008 should this weekend and see them all in the flesh.

Happy shopping.

Edit - I fear I may be too late
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Crank length test, subject 5'10" inside leg 32" course 1 mile mostly flat SS gearing 44/14T @ 10-12 MPH (only due to recent injuries I can assure you all) :oops:

The results are in :-

It might just be me but I could not tell the difference with any of the following crank arm lengths 165mm, 170mm, 172.5mm

The 175mm were a different story I could feel the strain on the back of my knee and even after 1 mile would not want to travel much further, which is odd because my Trek road bike has 175mm cranks and feels fine even after 50+ miles.

From this I can only conclude that either the differences a too slight to really notice or my trial distance was far to short and perhaps the geometry of the SS lends it's self to easy pedalling. Should I try a 10 mile varying course for each length, which would have to be on different days otherwise lap tiredness and boredom will set in or pour myself another large glass of wine and shrug my shoulders.

Could be a perfect project for an unemployed IT cyclist, now If I could just get 4 days in a row with no rain and slightly less than gale force wind that would be super.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    itboffin writes:

> It all makes perfect sense to me Bun's but do you/we have to round up are whole numbers needed?

No, there just doesn't seem much point in using more digits than necessary. In practice you'll be reckoning cadence in increments of five, anyway, so whilst it's worth being reasonably accurate, there isn't much to be gained by being very precise.

I'm an IT boffin too, BTW: Been doing UNIX admin for a looong time. Anyone else on the board ever submitted an essay using nroff?

Cheers,
    W.
  • Clever Pun
    I'm an IT boffin too, BTW: Been doing UNIX admin for a looong time. Anyone else on the board ever submitted an essay using nroff?

Cheers,
    W.

:lol: no oh dear god no. I've used sed, awk and groff if it's any consolation
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • itboffin

LOL :D very sad :D
  • groff? nroff? sed? awk?

Stop it! :D
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    groff? nroff? sed? awk?

Have you got something stuck in your throat Livs?
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    groff? nroff? sed? awk?

Been grep-ing and vim-ing all day. May do some sudo-ing later.

@Buns: Have used latex in the (dim and distant) past
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • JonGinge wrote:
    groff? nroff? sed? awk?

@Buns: Have used latex in the (dim and distant) past

TMI, jonginge.... TMI...
  • biondino wrote:
    groff? nroff? sed? awk?

Have you got something stuck in your throat Livs?

Kinda sounds like it eh? :D
  • Clever Pun
    groff? nroff? sed? awk?

you're a girl you wouldn't understand, it's can't be related to handbags, make up or puppies

:lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Reading a book on the plane called 'Heroes Villains and Velodromes' written about british track cycling and chris hoy by a friend of his, with his endorsement and storytelling

A quote...

Hoy on the track, had to avoid an obstacle, I'll spare you the detail.

'Hoy - on his track bike, with a fixed wheel instead of brakes - pushed back hard on the pedals. At slow speed that can be as effective as braking - you stop immediately. But on this occasion he pushed too hard: his effort stripped the rear sprocket'

:shock: :shock:
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    I'll try and remember not to do that then...
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Yeah, really... I could totally RIP ALL THE TEETH OFF A SPROCKET if I wasn't careful....

:shock: :shock: :shock:

:lol:
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    I'd guess he stripped the threads on the hub, rather than the teeth on the sprocket.

I've had hub threads strip on me before (not through my own strength, though :-) ). It's a really wierd feeling on a fixie when you crank the pedals and nothing happens, especially since there's still a bit of drag from the trashed threads...
    A thin sprocket doesn't have a lot of engagement with the threading on the hub, which is only aluminium, after all.

Cheers,
    W.
  • itboffin
    :shock: I just rode fixed for the first time :shock:
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    WAAAHHEEEYY welcome to the game!
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Jen J
    Well done :D

I rode clipless for the first time on Monday. On a freewheel. That doesn't really count does it? :(

Give me time... :D
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Jen J
    itboffin wrote:
    :shock: I just rode fixed for the first time :shock:

How did it go? Any pedal strike/jumping around/other scary moments? Did you repeat 'must keep pedalling' out loud?
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    one step at a time o neophyte...one must learn to clip in before one can fix out...zen man!
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • itboffin
    The distance was very short just around the village - I had no idea I could cycle that slowly, it just felt wrong :?
  • Jen J
    You cycled really slowly? I may be good at this fixie lark after all...;)
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • My first ride on a singlepeed today - I finished building up my £99 Pearson Langster last night and came in on it today.

Bit brave doing my commute as first ride on a new build but it all hung together well (not exactly much to go wrong!).

I am now able to join in and recycle the jokes about my big ring.....

But I am not a tart.
  • I am now able to join in and recycle the jokes about my big ring.....

But I am not a tart.

In that case you can always make jokes about your small ring :P

£99 for a bike sounds dman good!
  • itboffin
    Well done W2B do you have any pictures of said bicycle?