Fixed/Single Speed Commuting

Comments

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I dunno, I make one post pointing out that Giant bikes are boring and suddenly I'm public enemy number one! Go on, defend Giant's looks, see if you can think of anything positive to say at all!
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Looking at your Focus, I'd say that the frame is very similar to mine, just got bigger, more garish stickers on it,

Whoop de do!
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    biondino wrote:
    I dunno, I make one post pointing out that Giant bikes are boring and suddenly I'm public enemy number one! Go on, defend Giant's looks, see if you can think of anything positive to say at all!

I shall bring a nice shiny pic of my lurverly bike tomorrow...and I shall have satisfaction byGodSir!

As for pink bikes, with lots of shiny chrome that would be one hot set of wheels!
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Don't be mean! I like my bowery... It's black and silver and nice...

Mind you I'm comparing it to the Gollum bike... which wasn't so named due to its beauty... Erk.

But nonetheless, I like it... And that's what matters!

So shut it... baldy. :lol:
  • biondino
    Can I suggest you go back to calling me Moby, that got on my t!ts a bit ;)
  • biondino wrote:
    Can I suggest you go back to calling me Moby, that got on my t!ts a bit ;)

OK, ok...

So when are you getting the pink'n'chrome fixie?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    edited September 2008
    biondino wrote:
    So I decided to do my almost entirely flat West End --> West Putney commute in a single gear tonight, and it really makes so little difference! I started off in 50/19 (69 gear inches; 20mph at 98rpm) and it was all a bit easy - I decided not to try and replicate fixed as it just complicated things and in any case I kept forgetting and coasting.

Halfway through I moved to 50/17 (77 gear inches; 20mph at 87rpm) which is my neutral-to-good-conditions default gear, and it was slightly tougher with hills (e.g. Putney Bridge in a strong headwind!) more of a challenge. The biggest difference was the lack of respite - after a hill or a tough bit or into a strong wind, you couldn't change down and keep moving, you have to slog away. But I can see how it makes you stronger!

Am I missing something here since when did Putney bridge classify as a hill are you talking about the same place?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Putney_Bridge_723-5.JPG

Sorry not having a dig at you I'm just confused having lived and educated in Fulham I don't remember it being hilly but anyway well done for trying SS and remember the force of the Dark Side is very powerful.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • biondino
    Nah of course it's not a hill but it's just about the biggest incline on my commute home! The exclamation mark at the end of that sentence was meant to imply how ridiculous a thought it was :)
  • itboffin
    Being a SS noob myself can I ask if everyone else uses Sheldon Brown's site to measure their GI or some other method.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • FCN4: Langster Pro
    FCN8 Dawes Audax
    FCN13: Pompetamine dad and daughter bike

FCN5 Modded Dawes Hybrid R.I.P.
    FCN6 Fixed beater bike (on loan to brother in law)
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    itboffin wrote:
    Being a SS noob myself can I ask if everyone else uses Sheldon Brown's site to measure their GI or some other method.

front/back *27 for your normal wheel sizes is as near as damnit

In other news I've ordered my Phil Wood hubs and cogs along with a nitto stem and handle bars wooo
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Gah! The very pwitty half link chain i bought is too short! Blast and damn! I might be able to get it to fit by moving the hub all the way into the dropouts, but it does seem short...
  • Clever Pun
    Gah! The very pwitty half link chain i bought is too short! Blast and damn! I might be able to get it to fit by moving the hub all the way into the dropouts, but it does seem short...

use some string to tie it together :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Litts, I tried to use a 3/32 half link chain on my singlespeed but it was too short. They are designed for smaller chainrings and frames on BMXs.
    The LBS fitted a 1/8 version of the same brand chain and that was long enough.. I guess it's deisgned for track or something.
    You could always buy 2 of the chains and link them together to make up the extra distance.

HTH
    FCN4: Langster Pro
    FCN8 Dawes Audax
    FCN13: Pompetamine dad and daughter bike

FCN5 Modded Dawes Hybrid R.I.P.
    FCN6 Fixed beater bike (on loan to brother in law)
  • Yeah, that's a pretty good plan, better than some people's plans involving string... :D

it's a 1/8 already...

Furthermore, I might just ring up and see if they can send me (in exchange for shiny pounds) some extra links to lengthen it... I don't need a whole second chain... but yes as a last resort...

What does HTH mean?
  • biondino
    Hope this helps.

Why not get a smaller chainring? ;)
  • LiT - did you get a Gusset chain? If so drop .charliethebikemonger a line as he stocks half extra links for these - guess it's a known problem. http://www.charliethebikemonger.co.uk/userimages/procart3.htm
  • Alas, it was a KHE one - the place I like to use for my BMX bits only had KHE in stock. Not to worry, I have ordered another chain... and I will advertise that I have spare half-links!

However, if I ever need to buy another one I will use charlie... he's a lot cheaper!
    Why not get a smaller chainring?

Why not get a single speed?? :D
  • itboffin
    Clever Pun wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

In other news I've ordered my Phil Wood hubs and cogs along with a nitto stem and handle bars wooo

Very nice but aren't those tarty parts going to look a little odd on the Brompton :lol:
  • Littigator
    So I finally did it! I've flipped the flop and switched to fixed. I had an hilarious ride around my local streets last night before being called in for dinner as the light faded (Christ, it was like being 10 all over again)

So I set off this morning with my heart in my mouth and the taste of new adventure on my tongue.

Other than a couple of minor misshaps it all went pretty well. A car tried to pull left in traffic as I went down the inside and I forgot to keep pedalling as I looked back at him. This resulted in the normal glare I give, looking more like a panicked squirrel as my a*se was lifted into the air involuntarily before I remembered what I was supposed to be doing.

Otherwise, very very enjoyable. The legs felt it a bit at first as I hadn't realised how often I freewheeled, even for just a few seconds and the difference this makes.

I think it'll improve my clipping in technique as well as you have to be pretty accurate and quick as your pedal keeps pushing round.

• Clever Pun
    itboffin wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Very nice but aren't those tarty parts going to look a little odd on the Brompton :lol:

:x :lol: I picked up a baby blue A F Mills frame with reynolds 531 tubing for all said tartery

just need to decide on the right rims for the wheels... needs to be old school looking
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    planning a 12 mile (25 round trip) commute from Barnet to London Bridge, could it be done effectively on a fixed wheel. Ive never ridden one before but quite like the idea of little cleaning and a fun bike to ride.
  • Littigator
    Clever Pun wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

:x :lol: I picked up a baby blue A F Mills frame with reynolds 531 tubing for all said tartery

just need to decide on the right rims for the wheels... needs to be old school looking

Having bought my singlie all of 4 weeks ago, I am now an old hand at tarty wanted upgrades already (ahem)

Have you looked at Halo rims/wheels?

http://www.halorims.com/HaloNew/rims.html

• Clever Pun
    Littigator wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Having bought my singlie all of 4 weeks ago, I am now an old hand at tarty wanted upgrades already (ahem)

Have you looked at Halo rims/wheels?

http://www.halorims.com/HaloNew/rims.html

*ahem* read the above as classic, cheers though
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • itboffin
    classic yes old school def. I had to laugh when I took a pretty old campy crankset into my LBS for advise on why it doesn't fit so well on any of my square tapered BB and the owner of the store just looked at the kit and calmly exclaimed wow! that stuffs older than me, now that's old school :P so what the hell does that make me.

I fitted some nice smooth conti's ultra sports to my 27 x 1 1/4 (32 x 630) wheels today in the hope of riding tomorrow but alas it's not to be my short pull brake lever still has not arrived and those super smooth tyres don't stop rolling even with my heal pressed on the back tyre.

Although those white halos might just be enough to make me switch to 700c
  • Littigator wrote:
    So I finally did it! I've flipped the flop and switched to fixed. I had an hilarious ride around my local streets last night before being called in for dinner as the light faded (Christ, it was like being 10 all over again)

So I set off this morning with my heart in my mouth and the taste of new adventure on my tongue.

Other than a couple of minor misshaps it all went pretty well. A car tried to pull left in traffic as I went down the inside and I forgot to keep pedalling as I looked back at him. This resulted in the normal glare I give, looking more like a panicked squirrel as my a*se was lifted into the air involuntarily before I remembered what I was supposed to be doing.

Otherwise, very very enjoyable. The legs felt it a bit at first as I hadn't realised how often I freewheeled, even for just a few seconds and the difference this makes.

I think it'll improve my clipping in technique as well as you have to be pretty accurate and quick as your pedal keeps pushing round.

Well done! Finally you've taken your own advice, manned up and pedaled properly! :)

How's it going? Any more mishaps?

I saw a guy on a fixie clipping in by waiting for the pedal to come up and collide with his foot today, I was impressed for about 30 seconds then dropped him and jeffed off...

Fashion fixies versus function fixies... innit.
  • Littigator
    Littigator wrote:

Well done! Finally you've taken your own advice, manned up and pedaled properly! :)

How's it going? Any more mishaps?

I saw a guy on a fixie clipping in by waiting for the pedal to come up and collide with his foot today, I was impressed for about 30 seconds then dropped him and jeffed off...

Fashion fixies versus function fixies... innit.

yeah am still struggling a little with the clipping in as the cranks go round business and have had a few comedy forgetting to pedal moments etc but nothing too catastrphic yet

• Developed the pedal strike fear yet??
  • Flburgh..... shvagarabahah....

P3-TRACK_001.png
  • Littigator
    Flburgh..... shvagarabahah....

P3-TRACK_001.png

Stop sniggering at the back!

Besides, that costs waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than your normal budget of 50 pence bikes so forget it!