Fixed/Single Speed Commuting

Comments

• That is upsetting! You didn't order it from Evans did you? I've ordered the clips for my lights and a pannier rack from those sods, none of which have arrived... :x
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    That is upsetting! You didn't order it from Evans did you? I've ordered the clips for my lights and a pannier rack from those sods, none of which have arrived... :x

I wouldn't use Evans if they paid me to order from them - useless useless bunch. I'm ordering from the rather excellent http://www.charliethebikemonger.com unfortunately it's simply a case of waiting on the supplier.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    which KMC?

I'm personally a big fan of the connex wipperman Z1 star stainless chains, they're properly beefy!

KMC 1/8 track chain on the SS and the KMC X10-SL Silver on the Pinarello.
  • That is upsetting! You didn't order it from Evans did you? I've ordered the clips for my lights and a pannier rack from those sods, none of which have arrived... :x

I wouldn't use Evans if they paid me to order from them - useless useless bunch. I'm ordering from the rather excellent http://www.charliethebikemonger.com unfortunately it's simply a case of waiting on the supplier.

My sole experience of ordering something from Evans was totally painless. I ordered something on standard delivery it first thing in the morning one day, and it arrived the next.

Chain Reaction have been rubbish on the two occasions I've used them.

Wiggle are generally alright though.
    Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride.
    (John F Kennedy)

Hairy Roadie (new scoring) FCN 1/2
  • Well it all arrived eventually, now I just need to find some p-clips and mount the pannier rack to the bowery (I can hear the wincing) and I'll be off.

I don't know how you guys do it, cycling around with rucksacks and especially the messenger bags. Don't they put you off-balance?

Mind you, I used to do it as well..
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    The only time I get probs with my 'courier' bag is when I wear my hi-viz jacket and both the jacketand bag are the same material so slide against each other too easy.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    My rucksack gives me a bit of lower back discomfort when it's full and heavy, and leaves a big sweat patch, but otherwise there are no balance issues at all that I'm aware of. I prefer cycling without it but it doesn't feel like much of a sacrifice. It's also a lot more portable off-bike than (most) panniers.
  • Yeah, exactly, the reason why I switched to panniers in the end was that I was carrying books and a laptop in my rucksack and it weighed a ton.

Also with rather a lot of broken/cracked ribs earlier this year the rucksack was not a good plan.

The courier bags just look so much like they'd be pushing you to one side - all the weight seems to be on one shoulder...

I heart my panniers...
  • biondino
    My laptop has its own gravity so I'm very glad I don't have to carry that to work! I wonder, does anyone know how the 2005 Trek 1200 fares when it comes to attaching mudguards, panniers etc? I need to transform it into a fully functional winter bike - I've already attached a patio heater to the headset so I'll be toasty on even the coldest rides.
  • You can attach panniers to just about anything with the wonderful p-clips... I heart them too...

On the subject of patio heaters, I saw a guy the other day with a bottle cage mounted to his handlebars- coffee cup holder! Blinding! :D
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Yay, yay. My Pearson Touche arrived today :)
    It's built up and currently against the wall behind me in the office. Now, the conundrum is do I ride it home in jeans and trainers or wait until I bring in proper kit tomorrow?
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • biondino
    I can't believe you need to ask!
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I know, I know. The reason I'm not biking today is because of the large amount of stuff I need to transport from work back to my abode in mortlake (some of it arrived with the Pearson). But the touche is there looking all lovely.

... still I do have some rollers snuck away here at work and everyone else has gone home....
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • biondino
    So I decided to do my almost entirely flat West End --> West Putney commute in a single gear tonight, and it really makes so little difference! I started off in 50/19 (69 gear inches; 20mph at 98rpm) and it was all a bit easy - I decided not to try and replicate fixed as it just complicated things and in any case I kept forgetting and coasting.

Halfway through I moved to 50/17 (77 gear inches; 20mph at 87rpm) which is my neutral-to-good-conditions default gear, and it was slightly tougher with hills (e.g. Putney Bridge in a strong headwind!) more of a challenge. The biggest difference was the lack of respite - after a hill or a tough bit or into a strong wind, you couldn't change down and keep moving, you have to slog away. But I can see how it makes you stronger!
  • Yeah, actually hold on a minute Biodino, what are you doing in this thread?? :D

Only kidding...

Single speed is good you say? There are no hills big enough to warrant gears in London you say? Bigger gears are better you say?

Join us......... joooooiiiiinnnnnnnn usssssssss....... :twisted:
  • JonGinge wrote:
    It's built up and currently against the wall behind me in the office. Now, the conundrum is do I ride it home in jeans and trainers or wait until I bring in proper kit tomorrow?

Did you manage not to ride it home?

I wouldn't have done...
  • JonGinge wrote:

ooh congratulations! Enjoy it; great bike!
  • Ginge, we need pics. it's pointless having a bike like that and not riding it or showing off gloating with a huge fat grin!
    You've got incredible (and stupid) self control :wink::lol:

Biondino, you are also nuts. So join us! :lol:

I rode my 80 inch ss last night and today instead of the shiny sprinter (74), and honestly, it doesn't make that much difference once you're used to it.
    In fact not trying hard last night and I got close to my pb.. must be the 3 weeks on the fixed that have done that.
    but swapping once having got used to fixed is dead odd.. anyone else find their legs don't want to stop rotating and move even when you're slowing down?!
    FCN4: Langster Pro
    FCN8 Dawes Audax
    FCN13: Pompetamine dad and daughter bike

FCN5 Modded Dawes Hybrid R.I.P.
    FCN6 Fixed beater bike (on loan to brother in law)
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    biondino wrote:
    I started off in 50/19 (69 gear inches; 20mph at 98rpm) and it was all a bit easy !

Yeah but what are you riding with those ratios?

pink_tricycle-big.jpg

:wink:
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • biondino
    It was kinda enjoyable, though I can't figure out whether a SS or a fixie would be more fun. I have a horrible feeling I might be tempted to, like, buy one at some point if I can find something pretty and unusual enough. And while Litt's bike is certainly pretty and unusual, I think the ratio is a bit soft even for me.
  • Littigator
    biondino wrote:
    It was kinda enjoyable, though I can't figure out whether a SS or a fixie would be more fun. I have a horrible feeling I might be tempted to, like, buy one at some point if I can find something pretty and unusual enough. And while Litt's bike is certainly pretty and unusual, I think the ratio is a bit soft even for me.

Now hang on their a cotton picking second pardner!

There's LiT (girl) and me (boy). There's her GR (91inches...oof!), and there's mine (a still not too shabby 82).

There's both of us however, riding Giant Bowerys and given your comments on the forum this morning regarding Giants, we're gonna duff you up give you a chinese burn and steal your dinner money at this Friday's drinks if you don't watch out.

On a more serious note ( yes I do serious sometimes) get a flip flop hub, now the weather is turning crappy I am even more glad I don't have mechie bits on my bike.

• biondino
    Litt's bike - from Litt's post - it was only a few minutes ago fella!
    Littigator wrote:
    pink_tricycle-big.jpg
  • Littigator
    biondino wrote:
    Litt's bike - from Litt's post - it was only a few minutes ago fella!
    Littigator wrote:
    pink_tricycle-big.jpg

Damn you Sir, do you mock me? I shall have satisfaction I tell you.

Pistols at dawn an' all that what!

• biondino
    In all seriousness I do really want a pink bike. A pink SS/fixie with the thinnest steel tubes and bullhorn bars. Yum.
  • There's both of us however, riding Giant Bowerys and given your comments on the forum this morning regarding Giants, we're gonna duff you up give you a chinese burn and steal your dinner money at this Friday's drinks if you don't watch out.

Yeah! So there!

*sticks tongue out*

:D
  • biondino
    You know that the Bowery in New York is the street famous for all the junkies and tramps who litter its pavements, right? Just saying ;)
  • biondino wrote:
    You know that the Bowery in New York is the street famous for all the junkies and tramps who litter its pavements, right? Just saying ;)

Yeah, that just makes us even more well'ard... innit...

*does 'gangsta' pose*

:D
  • biondino wrote:
    In all seriousness I do really want a pink bike. A pink SS/fixie with the thinnest steel tubes and bullhorn bars. Yum.
    I think Chris had to get his Brooklyn powder-coated especially. However, it is unusual (tick) being the only track biek these dirtjumper guys (madness) make.
    Pink tyres can be bought from BLB or tokyo fixed gear (in London) I think and so on..

http://www.new.facebook.com/photo.php?p ... =737410034
    n737410034_3642782_4503.jpg
    FCN4: Langster Pro
    FCN8 Dawes Audax
    FCN13: Pompetamine dad and daughter bike

FCN5 Modded Dawes Hybrid R.I.P.
    FCN6 Fixed beater bike (on loan to brother in law)
  • Littigator wrote:

Shouldn't that be Pistas at dawn... that way old baldy locks would have no chance with all his silly gears... :lol:
  • Littigator wrote:

Shouldn't that be Pistas at dawn... that way old baldy locks would have no chance with all his silly gears... :lol:

Arrrrgh! That pun hurt my soul...

:lol: