Silly commuting racing

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Clever Pun wrote:
    In other news my raw power has moved the wheel from where the bike shop set it, I might just flip the wheel to fixed for the journey home... but after lunch beers is that smart?

er!!! YES - man up for god sake :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    itboffin wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    In other news my raw power has moved the wheel from where the bike shop set it, I might just flip the wheel to fixed for the journey home... but after lunch beers is that smart?

er!!! YES - man up for god sake :wink:

no problem with that, but first commute on a fixed with 3 pints in my belly... oh well could be a laugh
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Typical. Lots of players on my route today, but I had my young son sitting on the kids seat on the back. Any upping of pace and I would hear a small voice from the back 'too windy daddy!' Wee soul...

Anyway, tonight we will have a father son chat about 'scalp or be scalped' he's growing up so quick...
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
    Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
    Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Thunder in the legs once more this morning.

Got into the Park and spotted two roadies ahead going up the hill from Kingston Gate, one in Club kit. They're out training, not wellying it, but I like to hammer it up this hill anyway so use them as bait. They've got 100 yards on me, but I pass them as we reach the top. The legs feel good, and the road is dry, so I sweep down the steep hill and use the speed as a good start to the run to Roehampton Gate.

But there's no action until we turn off the NKR, and a big powerful looking roadie filters ahead at the lights, and an RLJing chap on a hybrid, who's got big legs and plenty of speed. And Snowman socks. WTF? Still, he's quick, and he's also an RLJer.

The roadie is a sprinter and leaves for dust me at the lights, but he's a sprinter and so he tires. I reel him in and pass him and Mr Snowman just before Albert Bridge. The lights ahead have been repaired and they're green, so I go for it. I'm doing 30mph and I'm still even breathing. But the lights at Chelsea Bridge are red and the bunch reforms.

The sprinter goes on green and, again, I'm soon 60 yards behind (these chicken legs of mine clearly ain't built for sprinting). But the lights ahead are red so I'm able to close a little, but I'm still 30 yards behind when they go green. I have to wait a little for traffic to clear, but I pass him before the bend and then stay ahead. There's no easing up though as I've done recently. The legs are feeling good and I need to put distance between me and him because of his sprint because I can't manage much more of this chasing, so I put in another 30mph effort as I pass the Morpeth Arms. I'm at the limit of what can credibly be described as "not trying"; any more and the funny faces will appear.

That's done the job though. Nothing further after that. I can breathe easy.

But a special mention for the annoying RLJing little oik on the Scott CR1 with the neon jacket along Embankment: you are an RLJing little oik. Do you wear a neon jacket so that peds and cars can see you when you RLJ? You berk.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    Well I wasnt actually commuting this morning as im off work getting ready to go on Holiday at the weekend, Decided to cycle from Hyde to Manchester Piccadilly at 9am, I managed to get a scalp, to be fair he was tootling and not paying much attention to anything, I gunned it went through the pain, Made the whole journey in 35 mins its about 8 and a half miles so im impressed, I did 48 miles last week and 47 this week, gonna clean and lube the bike and put it away for a week, Its been a good run these last 2 months, Dont wanna stop, Maybe I can commute in Spain lol (the wife would kill me)

See you all in about 10 days....

Gaz
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • Nothing of note this morning. I did think I might have spotted Biondino tho, I'm sure I saw someone passing along the Embankment heading East at around 8:35 ish on a Focus at the north end of Vauxhall Bridge.
    I was stopped at the lights and they where 6 lanes away so ID-ing was difficult - was it you BD???

Had some guy on an old skool Peugeot road bike have a go on the sprint from the lights - I put him firmly in his place tho as the next 2 sets of lights where very kind and changed to green as we approached. He must have turned off though as I didn't see him again after that!

Well one more commute left before 2 days off it next week - got 2 new sites to visit and I prefer to not arrive in a hot, sweaty mess on the first day!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Nothing of note this morning. I did think I might have spotted Biondino tho, I'm sure I saw someone passing along the Embankment heading East at around 8:35 ish on a Focus at the north end of Vauxhall Bridge.
    I was stopped at the lights and they where 6 lanes away so ID-ing was difficult - was it you BD???

Not me, BJ - I'm still asleep at 8.35! Also I don't do the Embankment run - I'm a Kings Road/Fulham Road chap.

Incidentally I'm still trying to figure out where I've met you before (I *know* I have). What football team do you support? Do you/have you worked in television? Have you been on the telly? Are you a member of any other online forums that have meetups? All very baffling.
  • A really, really quiet few weeks oop North.

Had the longest period I haven't ridden for a year or so when I went on holiday to Cyprus with the girlfriend. Should have done some more research and brought my driving license. Looks like there are some good hills there and plenty of bike hire places.

There has been a dearth of any bikes at all for the last week. I've been getting into work early, but there has been literally nothing. Guess the weather is putting people off.

Bike is sorely in need of a bit of fettle this weekend - skipping gears have limited me to the extremes of the ratios, but have tempted me to consider SSing the roadie commuter. Enjoy my ss mountain bike as an alternative to my full bouncy, geary bikes, but not entirely convinced about going down the SS route to ride everyday... especially as my commute is effectively all downhill on the way in, and all uphill on the way back.
    THE GAME FCN 4 usually. Hairy Roadie. Sometimes in baggies.

Le crapster commuter: http://photos-363.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v296/204/40/721556363/n721556363_1103653_5145.jpg
  • BD - Don't do football, haven't worked in TV (closest I've got is doing a couple of IT repair jobs at BBC (NW London) and Crysilis (LBC etc))
    Haven't been on the telly and this is the first online forum that I've joined that has meetups!

The only other option (and this is clutching at straws) is if you work in IT and have HP laptops where you work I *might* have repaired one about 2 years ago!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Got challenged by a chap wearing flip flops with toe straps - is he mad?!? Obviously the challenge didn't last too long, I had to turn off at a T Junction which he just careed through and he scared himself pooless by narrowly missing the cars and vans who were already on the road...nutter - it was freezing this morning!
    '07 Focus Izalco Expert - Hairy Baggy Shorts Roadie (FCN 5)
    '02 Marin Bear Valley - MTB on Nobblies (FCN 9)
    '04 Dawes Giro 200 - Fast Hybrid (FCN 7)
  • joew4ll wrote:
    Got challenged by a chap wearing flip flops with toe straps - is he mad?!? Obviously the challenge didn't last too long, I had to turn off at a T Junction which he just careed through and he scared himself pooless by narrowly missing the cars and vans who were already on the road...nutter - it was freezing this morning!

Flip flops with straps??

WTF

It does however open up the possibllity off a new niche shoe market.....SPD Flip Flops, or even SPD-SL's for those who do road racing :lol:
    I mean it's not such a crazy idea, after all they already do SPD Sandals for christ sake!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    joew4ll wrote:
    Got challenged by a chap wearing flip flops with toe straps - is he mad?!? Obviously the challenge didn't last too long, I had to turn off at a T Junction which he just careed through and he scared himself pooless by narrowly missing the cars and vans who were already on the road...nutter - it was freezing this morning!

Flip flops with straps??

WTF

It does however open up the possibllity off a new niche shoe market.....SPD Flip Flops, or even SPD-SL's for those who do road racing :lol:
    I mean it's not such a crazy idea, after all they already do SPD Sandals for christ sake!

sandals are attached to your feet, you'd never real unclip flip flops while keeping your big toe
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    joew4ll wrote:

Flip flops with straps??

WTF

sandals are attached to your feet, you'd never real unclip flip flops while keeping your big toe

OK I have to admit I didn't really think this through properly, but treat this as the R&D phase......
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12585906

LiT, Coriander are you out there? Would all of our other lady cyclists please let us know that you're alright
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • biondino
    Cori posted this morning and LiT may be in Finland, Turkey or London but either way I don't think she crosses the river.
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Hi, guys, I'm fine. But thanks for the concern. Poor girl, hope she's OK.

It's bizarre, but I was really rattled by the time I got home on my last two evening commutes - really felt threatened and that the journeys were just accidents waiting to happen.
  • cjcp
    Coriander wrote:
    Hi, guys, I'm fine. But thanks for the concern. Poor girl, hope she's OK.

It's bizarre, but I was really rattled by the time I got home on my last two evening commutes - really felt threatened and that the journeys were just accidents waiting to happen.

Cori - I share your views. The nights are closing in and we're less visible to cars, scooters, peds and other cyclists :? . This is one of the reasons for my rant about drafting. We all need more space when it gets dusky.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Well I hope the woman in question is ok. Be careful out there!

On a lighter note, my legs were the strength of ten tigers today and I smashed all PB records. My cateye nearly melted. I scalped a guy on a fixie with courier bag and cycling clothes on the Mall. His cadence was really high so I think i truthfully scalped him and he was going full speed. I zoomed past him in my 6th gear. Twas a great feeling. :twisted:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Just popping back to the shoe / flip-flop debate I popped out this afternoon in my Guinness slippers :shock:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Sewinman wrote:
    Well I hope the woman in question is ok. Be careful out there!

On a lighter note, my legs were the strength of ten tigers today and I smashed all PB records. My cateye nearly melted. I scalped a guy on a fixie with courier bag and cycling clothes on the Mall. His cadence was really high so I think i truthfully scalped him and he was going full speed. I zoomed past him in my 6th gear. Twas a great feeling. :twisted:

Excellent work! Also was it you we spotted as we left Millbank Spice last week or was it Sihughes....
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131

Excellent work! Also was it you we spotted as we left Millbank Spice last week or was it Sihughes....

Yes, that was me. One of you did a black power fist type salute as I rode past, gave the game away so to speak.
  • cjcp
    gb155 wrote:
    Well I wasnt actually commuting this morning as im off work getting ready to go on Holiday at the weekend, Decided to cycle from Hyde to Manchester Piccadilly at 9am, I managed to get a scalp, to be fair he was tootling and not paying much attention to anything, I gunned it went through the pain, Made the whole journey in 35 mins its about 8 and a half miles so im impressed, I did 48 miles last week and 47 this week, gonna clean and lube the bike and put it away for a week, Its been a good run these last 2 months, Dont wanna stop, Maybe I can commute in Spain lol (the wife would kill me)

See you all in about 10 days....

Gaz

Good work, Gaz. Keep it up. Enjoy the break.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Sewinman wrote:

Yes, that was me. One of you did a black power fist type salute as I rode past, gave the game away so to speak.

I think most of us where just amazed to actually bump into another game player! I mean what are the chances :-)
    Another late finish today?
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Coriander
    Well done, young man, for posting on something other than helmets. :D:wink:
  • dafruk
    dafruk Posts: 125
    Coriander wrote:
    On which, where do people stand on the helmet/no helmet thing? I've always felt they are.... [ducks and runs away to avoid the barrage!]
    FCN 7- Tourer, panniers, Lycra and clipless

What is this game you speak of? Of course I'm not playing...
  • Coriander
    dafruk wrote:
    Coriander wrote:
    On which, where do people stand on the helmet/no helmet thing? I've always felt they are.... [ducks and runs away to avoid the barrage!]

Bad man. I just snorted chocolate muffin up my nose. It hurt. :wink:
  • Coriander wrote:
    dafruk wrote:
    Coriander wrote:

Bad man. I just snorted chocolate muffin up my nose. It hurt. :wink:

Good Lord! That's a single entendre if ever I heard one. :D

I
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • biondino
    I want a bite of Cori's chocolate muffin.
  • biondino wrote:
    I want a bite of Cori's chocolate muffin.

You sir need a cold shower!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    dafruk wrote:
    Coriander wrote:

If you wear a helmet it'll protect you from said barrage ;)
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"