Silly commuting racing

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Clever Pun wrote:
    No scr'ing for me this week, I'm ill and the doc has signed me off for a week... given I can barely walk in astraight line and get damn near exhausted getting up a flight of stairs...I cycling would be the end of me :cry:

Sounds like some bad mojo :shock: get well soon.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    No SCR today thanks to an early meeting in the endless suburban depths of West London. First day off the bike in ages actually. Dreading the bus ride home already.

:x
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    No SCR today thanks to an early meeting in the endless suburban depths of West London. First day off the bike in ages actually. Dreading the bus ride home already.

:x

I feel truly sorry for you, of all the kinds of public transport I think buses are the worst. Not only are you crammed in amongst a bunch of miserable looking members of the general public, maybe in a seat if your one of the lucky few, you also have all the torment of being stuck in rush hour traffic and being able to see cyclist flying past.......

I pulled up alongside a bus yesterday and gave a cheeky smile to a lovely lady sitting on board. I was lined up alongside a motorbike with a car in front so knew I was going to have a fairly clear run, especially as there was a bus stop 100 yards ahead. Lights go green and I fumble the clip in - BUGGER! - still managed to catch up with the bus tho! I quite like the surprised look on peoples face as I roll up alongside them again so quickly :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    itboffin wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    No scr'ing for me this week, I'm ill and the doc has signed me off for a week... given I can barely walk in astraight line and get damn near exhausted getting up a flight of stairs...I cycling would be the end of me :cry:

cheers I managed a whole 5 hours without any sort of paracetamol or ibruprofen... I also managed 6 hours sleep double of all the previous 3 nights
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • il_principe
    Clever Pun wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

cheers I managed a whole 5 hours without any sort of paracetamol or ibruprofen... I also managed 6 hours sleep double of all the previous 3 nights

Erk, sounds nasty. HTFU fella.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    jedster wrote:
    Surely for a given type of bike a non-folder is going to be lighter than a folder. I take your point on size (although lots of cx racers seem quite happy running up hills with a bike on their shoulder!).

J
    True. The lightest folders (thinking here of the likes of the Airnimal Chameleon, Dahon Mu SL, Mu EX) are still a bit heavier than a carbon road bike (and usually pricier for the same level of kit, too). Boils down to where you want to compromise, and how much you've got to spend.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    Clever Pun wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

+1

Sounds like it might be almost as bad as manflu.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    it's a virus flu combo
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • itboffin
    Clever Pun wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

+1

Sounds like it might be almost as bad as manflu.

Careful with the M word :shock:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    I rearranged my ride home to head along the legendary Embankment.

Yeeehaaa!! I see what all the fuss is about - much more action than on my normal route home. :)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Roastiecp wrote:

Yeeehaaa!! I see what all the fuss is about - much more action than on my normal route home. :)

You have seen The Light, my friend!

Dossards were threatening to latch on to the back wheel all the way tonight, and had to dig especially deep on the second half of the stretch from Chelsea to Albert Bridges. Despatched a couple of roadies through Putney too. Was damn near fit to drop after it though! Then had a serial RLJer through Sheen. Grrrr. Summoned up the last of my reserves to drop him, but was b*uggered when I arrived home. Tomorrow morning might be a struggle.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • buggeroonies.

after this morning's heroics I have crashed back to earth bigtime.

I need that kudos remover... but I escape on a technicality.

basically one of those small wheel folders did me all ends up. we had a proper battle uphill over 2-3 miles. he pavement ran at one point and he RLJed so he is disqualified but he had the legs and lungs at the critical point.

this does not feel good but I am compelled to confess.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    I must have had my Touche magnet turned upto maximum today as I found another one on the way home coming down Borough High Street! It was another gun-metal grey (I think it's black..........) different pilot to the one in the morning and obviously not a fellow SCR (or at least I hope not!!) as he flew threw the red lights!!

Caught up and with him just as we got to the bus lane towards E & C. Chased him and another SS (courier judging by wildly slopping top tube) onto the first roundabout, we all had a clear run and the poor excuse for a bus lane opposite (actually looks wider then it is long!) is empty so we all barrel into that and onto the second section, demolishing a hyrbid and folder in the process. Unfortunately they both peel off the next exit round leaving me to face Camberwell solo.

Wind seemed to pick up a bit and was blowing all over the place, at some times I had it behind me leading to some nice 25mph+ overtakes of buses that seemed a bit to easy!
    Found some doddering old RLJer who was rather irritating in his persistance. Usual story of rolling along at a snails pace, through the junction and then gets scalped 10 seconds after the lights change! I could hardly say scalp tho as his hybrid bike and high-vis outfit meant he was about a million miles below me in the food chain!

Snuck a quick look at my phone at one of the sets of lights I knew was going to take a while to change, seems Sportstracker was playing ball as it had recorded some time and distance so I might finally get a reading for my "climb" at the end!

Speaking of the climb I had a rather odd incident on the way up. As I'm coming to one of the many side roads a rather old Citreon 2CV pulled out and there was an almighty bang. My first thought was that the driver had hit a pothole or something as he pulled over just by the traffic island next to the cycle lane. As I got closer I saw what the car had lost...........it's boot cover :shock: The cover promptly got run over by the car that followed him out of the road and I'm sure the guy was expecting it to come off as the hinges looked well rusted on the back of the car and he had one of those stretchy bungee cords holding it on............ :lol:

Saw a poor cyclist at the top of the hill, just as it ramps up a bit who was moving at a glacial pace, I'm not to sure if my "Nearly there!" comment came across as a bit rude as I danced towards the roundabout! Thankfully the old lady replied with a semi-cheery "Indeed!"

Scored a massive amount of smug points as I approached my final descent. Roadworks at the top of the road mean that it's on 3 way temporary traffic light control. This would all be well and good IF the lights where working :-) Being Croydon no one was giving any allowances so it was GRIDLOCKED for all those in tin cans and fairly easy to navigate for me and the gent on the motorbike! I followed him onto the downhill section but had to reign it all in as the wind was rather blowy and I quite wanted to arrive home on my bike rather then at A & E, going balls out with a heavy backpack on and a bike that I'm not quite sure is running right (rear end feels "off" think it's the tyre I put in the other day.........) would have been rather silly. Still nudged just north of 30 so not bad but had to hold my line down the road to discourage cars from taking liberties.

If anyone's interested the route is here:

https://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/wor ... ?id=787729

Looks like the climb up from Dulwich to Crystal Palace is a not to shabby 250 ft, based on my cheapo GPS solution......... IIRC I think it's about a mile or so for the whole road. Will have to try and get a few more rides done up and down some of the other hills around it to see how they stack up!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Get well soon CP, sounds nasty
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Christophe3967
    cjcp wrote:
    Roastiecp wrote:

You have seen The Light, my friend!

Dossards were threatening to latch on to the back wheel all the way tonight, and had to dig especially deep on the second half of the stretch from Chelsea to Albert Bridges. Despatched a couple of roadies through Putney too. Was damn near fit to drop after it though! Then had a serial RLJer through Sheen. Grrrr. Summoned up the last of my reserves to drop him, but was b*uggered when I arrived home. Tomorrow morning might be a struggle.

I fear I may be the dossard you refer to - pretty sure it was you. Dark green and balck rucksack, red bike, legs out, around 7ish?? I think you're being a trifle harsh :wink: Two things in my defence - 1) I was filming and thought that footage of CJCP sur l'embankement could be worth a bob or two in a few years. 2) I wasn't actually drafting, although I notice on replaying the video that you did at one point give me a little wave as if to say, " ffs do some work, there's a bit of a headwind" 3) I was starting to suffer from my decision to order another bottle of Merlot and sticky toffee pudding at lunch with a client 4) I was conscious that you had plenty in reserve and had I taken the liberty of passing, the consequences would have been too awful to contemplate - you would have switched to warp drive and left me a dribbling wreck :cry:

Tried to download the video - failed again. I really, really hate computers :twisted:

Oh, and welcome to the embankment Roastiecp - I thinks it's the spiritual home of SCR .
  • Christophe3967
    I must have had my Touche magnet turned upto maximum today as I found another one on the way home coming down Borough High Street! It was another gun-metal grey (I think it's black..........) different pilot to the one in the morning and obviously not a fellow SCR (or at least I hope not!!) as he flew threw the red lights!!

Caught up and with him just as we got to the bus lane towards E & C. Chased him and another SS (courier judging by wildly slopping top tube) onto the first roundabout, we all had a clear run and the poor excuse for a bus lane opposite (actually looks wider then it is long!) is empty so we all barrel into that and onto the second section, demolishing a hyrbid and folder in the process. Unfortunately they both peel off the next exit round leaving me to face Camberwell solo.

Wind seemed to pick up a bit and was blowing all over the place, at some times I had it behind me leading to some nice 25mph+ overtakes of buses that seemed a bit to easy!
    Found some doddering old RLJer who was rather irritating in his persistance. Usual story of rolling along at a snails pace, through the junction and then gets scalped 10 seconds after the lights change! I could hardly say scalp tho as his hybrid bike and high-vis outfit meant he was about a million miles below me in the food chain!

Snuck a quick look at my phone at one of the sets of lights I knew was going to take a while to change, seems Sportstracker was playing ball as it had recorded some time and distance so I might finally get a reading for my "climb" at the end!

Speaking of the climb I had a rather odd incident on the way up. As I'm coming to one of the many side roads a rather old Citreon 2CV pulled out and there was an almighty bang. My first thought was that the driver had hit a pothole or something as he pulled over just by the traffic island next to the cycle lane. As I got closer I saw what the car had lost...........it's boot cover :shock: The cover promptly got run over by the car that followed him out of the road and I'm sure the guy was expecting it to come off as the hinges looked well rusted on the back of the car and he had one of those stretchy bungee cords holding it on............ :lol:

Saw a poor cyclist at the top of the hill, just as it ramps up a bit who was moving at a glacial pace, I'm not to sure if my "Nearly there!" comment came across as a bit rude as I danced towards the roundabout! Thankfully the old lady replied with a semi-cheery "Indeed!"

Scored a massive amount of smug points as I approached my final descent. Roadworks at the top of the road mean that it's on 3 way temporary traffic light control. This would all be well and good IF the lights where working :-) Being Croydon no one was giving any allowances so it was GRIDLOCKED for all those in tin cans and fairly easy to navigate for me and the gent on the motorbike! I followed him onto the downhill section but had to reign it all in as the wind was rather blowy and I quite wanted to arrive home on my bike rather then at A & E, going balls out with a heavy backpack on and a bike that I'm not quite sure is running right (rear end feels "off" think it's the tyre I put in the other day.........) would have been rather silly. Still nudged just north of 30 so not bad but had to hold my line down the road to discourage cars from taking liberties.

If anyone's interested the route is here:

https://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/wor ... ?id=787729

Looks like the climb up from Dulwich to Crystal Palace is a not to shabby 250 ft, based on my cheapo GPS solution......... IIRC I think it's about a mile or so for the whole road. Will have to try and get a few more rides done up and down some of the other hills around it to see how they stack up!

You have a good ride home by the looks of it. I rather like the sports tracker thingy - it even shows what music you've listened too. How geeky is that??? :lol:
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Cheers C3967! That is my hilliest ride home, but I do have some scope for tweaking on most of my routes! I'm hoping to actually map out each one eventually!
    All I have to do now is persuade the wife that a helmet cam is a good idea - but then she'll be able to see how I ride which might not be such a grand idea as she doesn't even like hearing about how some drivers try to kill me and seeing it might be a little too much :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itboffin
    Nice one Christophe3967

Video footage of cjcp in 'SCR' action that's got to be made public, let us know when you get the technical magic sorted.

Booze + headwind is a bad bad combination, well done for even attempting.
  • Christophe3967
    itboffin wrote:
    Nice one Christophe3967

Video footage of cjcp in 'SCR' action that's got to be made public, let us know when you get the technical magic sorted.

MIssed some of the action (not sure why) but at the Kings Road lights I have a good shot of him showing no signs of exertion at all, whilst I'm struggling to hold the bike straight. I have saved it on the hard drive, so watch this space. :)
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I have caught the Yips.

If any of you are sad enough to play golf (I'm looking at you here Jash - i see you in pringle) and just so we are clear from the outset - I do not play golf - I am too busy watching Sci-Fi in my y-fronts drinking super strength own brand lager from the can for that.

Sorry - back on topic - The yips is when a golfer (Jash) loses his mojo and his game goes to pot.

Well I seem to have the clip in yips

I changed from the standard SPDs at some point in the past (I have an aboriginal relationship to time and calendars leave me confused and wanting to eat grubs)

shimano-spd-m520-399-75.jpg

The old double sided jobies that had served me so well were consigned to the bin as the missionaries in the bike shop (peace be upon their shiny toys) told me "civilised" people used SPD-SLs

6620-399-75.jpg

The transition was not smooth....

I had a number of eye watering - I think that's clipped in I'll put some weight on it - BANG - saddle meets bits - Ouch moments before turning down the tension setting and getting more comfortable with them.....

All was fine and the connection was defo better - the God's had smiled on my new "oneness" with the bike

However.

I have relapsed and am now all over the place again - I don't know what's changed and can only put it down to a case of "performance anxiety" and the yips. Just as a golfer falls off his game, loses his confidence and then spirals downwards so it it with me and my shagging cleats...

Arrrggghhhh.

What should I do to get back on my A game?
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • cjcp
    Greg T wrote:

These are pedals we're talking about, not learning to fly the Space Shuttle. Does Bianchi look at you with that "Oh Father, I'm so ashamed" look?

I have those bad boys you've just bought. They're great. I have the solution. Do not fret. Attach some stabilisers to your bike and just ride up and down your tree-lined Twickenham road before while you practice clipping in and unclipping.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • il_principe
    Greg T wrote:
    I have caught the Yips.

If any of you are sad enough to play golf (I'm looking at you here Jash - i see you in pringle) and just so we are clear from the outset - I do not play golf - I am too busy watching Sci-Fi in my y-fronts drinking super strength own brand lager from the can for that.

Sorry - back on topic - The yips is when a golfer (Jash) loses his mojo and his game goes to pot.

:shock:
    Oi! I am not a golfist, I hate golf! Ridiculous activity. Shouldn't be played by anyone young/fit enough to do a proper sport. Neither do I own any Pringle.

*mutters
  • il_principe
    Greg T wrote:

Get some Speedplays?
  • Greg T
    cjcp wrote:
    Greg T wrote:

Do not fret. Attach some stabilisers to your bike and just ride up and down your tree-lined Twickenham road before while you practice clipping in and unclipping.

You see that's just not helpful now is it.....

I'll tell you what why don't I work on my balance by shoving some mountain bike forks up you, grabbing your ears and riding you like a pogo stick?

• itboffin
    You should throw your bike with pedals & shoes away clearly it is them that's at fault. :P
  • cjcp
    edited March 2009
    I fear I may be the dossard you refer to - pretty sure it was you. Dark green and balck rucksack, red bike, legs out, around 7ish??

CLASSIC! :lol: Yep, that was me! Were you the chap I passed in or at the start of DSC dressed in dark clothing? Or did you come up behind me? It was that chap which I thought was behind me later on.
    I think you're being a trifle harsh :wink: Two things in my defence - 1) I was filming and thought that footage of CJCP sur l'embankement could be worth a bob or two in a few years. 2) I wasn't actually drafting, although I notice on replaying the video that you did at one point give me a little wave as if to say, " ffs do some work, there's a bit of a headwind"

Yes! I did give someone a little wave. :lol: I spotted a shadow out of the corner of my left eye. I have to confess here that I waved because I'm a grumpy, miserable sod, not because I wanted you to do some work :oops:. I've twice nearly been taken out on Embankment by drafting fairies when their line of sight has been obscured and they've only just stopped in time at lights or for traffic, so I really don't feel very comfortable anymore with someone on my wheel in traffic unless they do as JonGinge does (and you also) and move out to the side. I've begun to feel a tad more at ease recently, but I had to explain this to a chap who very politely thanked me for a tow along the NKR earlier this week. Sorry. :oops:
    3) I was starting to suffer from my decision to order another bottle of Merlot and sticky toffee pudding at lunch with a client

4) I was conscious that you had plenty in reserve

Not so. It was dark, so you didn't see the snot that was beginning to fly. When I next stopped at Battersea Bridge lights, orange squash had never tasted better.
    you would have switched to warp drive and left me a dribbling wreck :cry:

See above. :)
    Tried to download the video - failed again. I really, really hate computers :twisted:

Result! But, seriously, don't download it! :lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    itboffin wrote:
    Nice one Christophe3967

MIssed some of the action (not sure why) but at the Kings Road lights I have a good shot of him showing no signs of exertion at all, whilst I'm struggling to hold the bike straight. I have saved it on the hard drive, so watch this space. :)

Hold the 'phone! Did you go straight on at the lights or left onto the NKR? A chap eased up alongside me on the approach to the lights but went straight on. I think he was wearing yellow.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Christophe3967
    Just don't get the point of not using SPDs for commuting (OK you need two pairs of shoes but they wear out more slowly) - if I'm ever in town on the road bike I'll have at least two false starts, which you really don't need with a posse of Porsches revving their engines behind you. But as you've consigned the SPDs to the bin, you just need to take yourself in hand and remain calm. And look at it as an opportunity to perfect your trackstand. Nothing impresses a girl more :)
  • Greg T
    Look at it as an opportunity to perfect your trackstand. Nothing impresses a girl more :)

That's not true, getting battered and leering at her whilst threatening her husband at her Dad's funeral is a sure fire hit with the burds.

• Christophe3967
    cjcp wrote:
    I fear I may be the dossard you refer to - pretty sure it was you. Dark green and balck rucksack, red bike, legs out, around 7ish??

CLASSIC! :lol: Yep, that was me! Were you the chap I passed in or at the start of DSC dressed in dark clothing? Or did you come up behind me? It was that chap which I thought was behind me later on.
    I think you're being a trifle harsh :wink: Two things in my defence - 1) I was filming and thought that footage of CJCP sur l'embankement could be worth a bob or two in a few years. 2) I wasn't actually drafting, although I notice on replaying the video that you did at one point give me a little wave as if to say, " ffs do some work, there's a bit of a headwind"

Yes! I did give someone a little wave. :lol: I spotted a shadow out of the corner of my left eye. I have to confess here that I waved because I'm a grumpy, miserable sod, not because I wanted you to do some work :oops:. I've twice nearly been taken out on Embankment by drafting fairies when their line of sight has been obscured and they've only just stopped in time at lights or for traffic, so I really don't feel very comfortable anymore with someone on my wheel in traffic unless they do as JonGinge does (and you also) and move out to the side. I've begun to feel a tad more at ease recently, but I had to explain this to a chap who very politely thanked me for a tow along the NKR earlier this week. Sorry. :oops:
    3) I was starting to suffer from my decision to order another bottle of Merlot and sticky toffee pudding at lunch with a client

4) I was conscious that you had plenty in reserve

Not so. It was dark, so you didn't see the snot that was beginning to fly. When I next stopped at Battersea Bridge lights, orange squash had never tasted better.
    you would have switched to warp drive and left me a dribbling wreck :cry:

See above. :)

Result! But, seriously, don't download it! :lol:

You were ahead of me I think at the VB lights or I may have been penned in, but I followed you down to KR and I did indeed ease up alongside just before the lights, where I go straight on to Fulham Broadway.

Good to know that I was keeping you honest :) A steady 40kph into a headwind was hard work.

I think the video will show that although many people talk about souplesse, few attain that state of nirvana. But you do need work on your tan if you're getting your legs out this early in the season :wink: