Silly commuting racing

Comments

• Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    I gave my bike a special spring clean this weekend.

The rain is now lashing down, the mercury is plummeting and Tower Bridge has disappeared from view.

I am really very sorry.

:(:(

ps no commentary from Oz required thanks. :wink:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Having just been outside, the wind is also howling. Howling from the direction I need to go tonight. Bumski. :?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Spare a thought for the missus - her first day commuting after some lovely weather and now look at it!

:roll:
  • Christophe3967
    Spare a thought for the missus - her first day commuting after some lovely weather and now look at it!

:roll:

Meet her for a bottle of Pinot Grigio, get a late train home, and sod the bike might be the way to go. Don't want to put her off just as she's got started.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Wow it looks bad out there. here in bumpkinsville it's been blowing a gale all day and now the heavens have opened, did someone mention waterproofs :shock:

Glad my training plan insisted on a rest day today. :D
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    cjcp wrote:
    Having just been outside, the wind is also howling. Howling from the direction I need to go tonight. Bumski. :?

Ummm..... it's blazing sunshine at the moment, I better make sure i have shades ready for the ride to the station.

I'm not helping am I?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    ris wrote:
    can't say i'm too unhappy that folders are so far down the chain, that litle airnimal of mine doesn't half help in collecting points from the mtb and hybrid camp!

Yes indeed - got thoroughly stuffed by a guy on a Moulton in full lycra the other week :)
  • Greg T wrote:
    on a Monday as you are coming into someones bum bubble,

What, exactly, was at the back of your mind when you typed this?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Greg66 wrote:
    Greg T wrote:
    on a Monday as you are coming into someones bum bubble,

What, exactly, was at the back of your mind when you typed this?

The man has a gift for words :roll: :roll:
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Boy I had fun today! My training for today had been moved late last week, to the other side of town :-) So instead of a short blast to my parents house, ditching the bike and changing clothes and then taking a seat in one of the tallest buildings in Croydon I was laying down some serious awesome heading towards White City :-D

Had the usual amount of floatsam in the way out and a pill0ck on his scooter barging in front of me at the outset I was heading down past Tooting Bec Lido. Got an un-usual smile off a chap on a rather nice looking SS - chromed bull horn bars was about all I managed to pick up as I tried to avoid the cars slowing down ahead. At this point I'd just like to say bad luck to the little pr1ck in his new Mini who tried to kill me on the approach to the bus lane. If you get 2 mm further to the left next time you'll knock me off :evil:

The run down from Tooting to Wandsworth didn't really bring any serious competition and it wasn't until Kings Road that I found some decent looking riders. Ditched most of them as I came through the little chicane by the Tesco Express by taking a slighly wider line and then got stuck behind The Slowest Roade In The World. No room to go round due to the ejits in their cars (who *really* wants to drive into London.........) and as soon as a space does appear what should appear alongside me? Some chancer on his hybrid or MTB!!! He's managed to box me in between himself and the Slow Roadie ahead. Once he's lined up alongside chappie infront I pull out round the two of them and leave em both for dead! The cheek of some people..........

Nothing from the point where I turn off Kings Road (Gunter Groove) up to Holland Park Road, but as I'm getting ready to turn onto the penultimate road I see a roadie whip by. He's about 15 metres ahead by the time I turn on and feeling rather fresh I decide "what the hell" knowing I only have half a mile or so left. Apply a bit more power and chase him down. Blew past then had to start paying attention as I usually take the wrong road.........

Return journey was completely devoid of any scalps as I finished rather early! I did manage to get out shortly after it stopped raining AND more importantly whilst there was a tailwind! Got a nice helping hand on the south bound journey towards the river and the same again once I passed the roundabout on the south side of Wandsworth Bridge. I then had one of those rides where I was just simply enjoyed being on my bike and riding it! I wasn't chasing anyone or in a hurry, just pootling!

Passed a couple of RLJers on the way down towards Streatham and then executed one of my finest trackstands to date to avoid unclipping whilst in the ASL, wobbling a bit but managed to balance the bike well through the whole light sequence but as I pulled off could I feel it! I hadn't realized how much all the wobbling and trying to keep upright means you use your upper body and legs :-) Need to work on my technique I think!

I then had a brain fart.........I thought it would be fun to go the slightly hiller way home - after all I hadn't ridden up the road beside Streatham Common to Crown Point before! Not overly steep or to long but a nice workout nonetheless! This also meant to got to come down one of my favourite roads at the end but the wet road and winds where putting me off a bit but I was happy in the knowledge that it wasn't as bad as the Marlborough Loop!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Christophe3967
    Glad you had a tailwind BJ. No such luck on the Embankment but at least the rain had stopped. Absolutely no competition tonight, found myself at the front of the VB posse and fully expected to find a few hangers on at the next of lights, but not a a sausage, which was fortunate as I was still trying to shake off mental images of bum bubbles, and fabric conditioner. Hopefully won't still be spooked out tomorrow. I'm easly rattled.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    ris wrote:
    can't say i'm too unhappy that folders are so far down the chain, that litle airnimal of mine doesn't half help in collecting points from the mtb and hybrid camp!

Yes indeed - got thoroughly stuffed by a guy on a Moulton in full lycra the other week :)

I have mixed feelings about the folder/small wheeled phobia (Moultons do not fold!!) that the FCNs and some people round here seem to have.

On the one hand, it's a bit ridiculous, if not downright silly. Many small-wheelers are damn fast, beautifully equipped for pretty much any type of road riding, and yet some people equate the little wheels with, well, clown bikes, only good for shopping, short commutes, chucking in the car boot...piffle. Not Race Across America (Moultons)? Or transcontinental tours (many small-wheelers)? And something like a Bike Friday Speeding tikit ( see http://bikefriday.com/node/7640?styleId=0 http://www.bikefriday.com/tikit/robspinkone and http://www.bikefriday.com/roundup08)...no, can't be a serious bike. It's got top notch components, it's really light...but those ickle wheels, it must be really slow, right? Er, no.
    And my Cadenza. Nice stiff frame. Slick tyres. Damn quick, even with me on it. But wait, it's got a couple of hinges, let's lower the FCN....Even this one I was just bidding on recently.... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0377886701 700C wheels? 105 mech? Drops? Yeah, but it folds, like a Brommie.....

On the other hand, I am of course happy to exploit this prejudice and turn it to my advantage. I don't get overtaken much anyway :)
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Christophe3967
    Bored with my summer commute already, so headed to the Embankment to see if anyone had come out to play. Zilch. And a flippin headwind to boot. :cry: Consolation drag race over London Br with a guy on a hybrid giving it some serious welly to get past a bus. Should look quite funny on the highlights tonight, when he checks over his left shoulder to move back in to the middle lane, doesn't see me as I'm on his outside. Probably got a bit of a shock when he looked round again. :)

They have resurfaced the bus lanes on the Uxbridge Road at Shepherds Bush. Again :)
  • cjcp
    Saw some classic SCR drafting fairy action between some roadies along Millbank last night, so, not wanting to have wheel huggers, hung back and bided my time until the start of DSC. Didn't see them after that. :D

Met up with JonGinge just after HoP this morning. Took my mind off the headwind :? . He put the hammer down going into Blackfriars Tunnel and, before I knew it, I was 20 yards behind. :shock:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Petromyzon
    Petromyzon Posts: 221
    Is JonGinge quite nails? I appreciate that these things are all relative, and that one person's nails are someone else's small tacks but...
  • cjcp
    Petromyzon wrote:
    Is JonGinge quite nails? I appreciate that these things are all relative, and that one person's nails are someone else's small tacks but...

Yes; he's proper fast.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    A miracle a cyclist going my way this morning. He was coming out of a side road just as I went past and was definitely higher up the food chain on his winter bike while I was on my nobby shod fixie crosser. Now the irony of having some competition on the day I had set myself the task of an easy ride in keeping to training zone 1 was not lost on me as the last cyclist I had seen on my route was 6 months ago! I therefore had the dilemma of should I stick to my training plan or should I up the speed and make sure I didn't get over taken?

I decided to hedge and upped it a little but kept it comfortable. I know, Mr indecisive.

Naturally not being allowed to look back and check where he was in case I was seen as trying I just had to keep pedalling and hope that I was distancing myself from him. It was only as I got to the first roundabout after 2 miles that I could shoulder check and YES! I had dropped him like a hot potato.

A scalp at last! It's only taken 6 months.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • Petromyzon
    edited March 2009
    Just looked up last year's 3LC thread, some proper fast times by some smaller guys like JG there :shock: :shock: :shock: Inspirational stuff. Do you think you will break 55 again this year CJ?
    Mega chapeaus to Mark_d who I think I've met, top bloke, there really is not much of the chap but that is a freaking rapid-ass time (tm, all rights reserved).
  • god it was milkmans this morning.

I switched to my summer gear last week and saw the sun shining at around 7 when I left the house, spent the first six or seven miles hammering it in a vain attempt to get a sweat on. My hands were freezing, as well as all of my lower body. That sunshine was deceptive.

Not much SCR action although I did overtake a soldier in full combat uniform, which was good for the rarity value.

I also had a minor road rage incident with another cyclist, I went past him and then he had to brake sharply because I had taken the best line into the junction. He was on a MTB on nobbies and swore at me, then RLJed at the junction. I think he was peeved because I stopped in his route through the red light.

I am remarkably zen now and rarely allow the anger to rise in me when out on the road. Not unless somebody has been really really stupid and threatened my life...
  • Wow, you guys post a LOT! May have to adjust my casual "check back in a few days a approach"

Greg66: so Totalnewbie... that's good... he he... perhaps the sneakybear (note to self, never refer to ones self in the third person less you risk being compared to 'The Rock') and her should meet. Anyway, I have an incling that my fair maiden is not of these parts (hopefully?). I shall quiz and report.

C3967: Thanks for the tips on the dark and mysterious world of male leg tanning - I must say you're quite the expert. With such a wealth of experience afforded to you I can only appreciate the tip on L'Oréal Plenitude Sublime Bronze Self-Tanning Spray... I had no idea such products existed. May I ask if it smells funny?

Shoulder: ah, yes... counting and capacity have normally not got the better of me but in this case I fear I've been a little over zealous. 50cc is plenty.

So which one of you was making me work on Monday morning along the highway? Flat bar hybrid on slicks easily trotting along at 40 - 45kph on my wheel. Would have shaken him like I did the fixie through millwall (well single speed actually, but the hips WILL go eventually either way) earlier but I had no legs left. I blame the 100km on Sunday but that's just an excuse really - genuinely worried for my FCN status, glad I haven't yet committed razor to flesh.

Also I must extend my apologies, cleaned my bike on Monday pm hence the rain. I'll endeavor never to do so again...

Finally, perhaps you could clear up an issue I have. I own a major energy company sponsored lycra top from when I used to ride for their 'team'. Does this count as team kit?
  • cjcp
    Petromyzon wrote:
    Just looked up last year's 3LC thread, some proper fast times by some smaller guys like JG there :shock: :shock: :shock: Inspirational stuff.
    Mega chapeaus to Mark_d who I think I've met, top bloke, there really is not much of the chap but that is a freaking rapid-ass time (tm, all rights reserved).

They're very handy targets to have when you're trying to improve. :D

I went out with JG on Saturday and have never been up Broomfield Hill as many times at the speed we did. I, ahem, gave it a miss on last night's commute home and went the long way round the Park. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Petromyzon
    cjcp wrote:
    Petromyzon wrote:
    Just looked up last year's 3LC thread, some proper fast times by some smaller guys like JG there :shock: :shock: :shock: Inspirational stuff.

They're very handy targets to have when you're trying to improve. :D

I went out with JG on Saturday and have never been up Broomfield Hill as many times at the speed we did. I, ahem, gave it a miss on last night's commute home and went the long way round the Park. :)

:lol::lol:
    Are you aiming to break 55 min again this year?
  • cjcp
    Want to break 54 min, but there's a certain amount of wishful thinking in that! :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • il_principe
    Ch1st last night was depressing. The missus was sloooooooooooow especially with the wind, I think we were overtaken by every cyclist in London. I got very cold as well - I'm used to moving at pace and was not wearing the right kit for our pootling speeds. Think it took about an hour to do a ride I can nail in 30 mins or so. Still chapeau to her for completing her first day. She's taking the rest of the week off as it's getting cold again and the forecast is bad.

I experimented with a different route in from hers today, avoiding edgware and then heading into the city via Oxford st and Holborn. Much slower I think and far more fiddly. Little action to report although I did bag a couple of roadies and a Bowery.

@CJ - How many reps of Broomfield did you and JG get in? I imagine RP was busy last weekend? Aside from Box hill, my Surrey loop was quieter than expected. Pity this weekend is looking miserable, it was great being able to get out for a decent ride in the sun.
  • She's taking the rest of the week off as I told her that I'm not interested in riding that slowly ever again.

Fixed that for ya! :D
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Ch1st last night was depressing. The missus was sloooooooooooow especially with the wind, I think we were overtaken by every cyclist in London.

Did any one go NNNNEEEEEOOOOOWWWW!!!! as they went past? :wink::D
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • il_principe
    Greg66 wrote:
    She's taking the rest of the week off as I told her that I'm not interested in riding that slowly ever again.

Fixed that for ya! :D

It was painfully slow. Getting passed by so many people was torture, we got scalped by a woman on a Chanel style shopper in a red overcoat and heels FFS! I need LiT or Linsen to give her WTFU lessons really. :twisted:

What really amazed me though is how slow some people are, you don't really notice pootlers at normal speed, but when one is inching past you, (spinning madly in what looks like 32/34) it does draw the attention somewhat. :shock:

I'm not cpmplaining though, as I kept telling her last night, she'll get fitter and faster very quickly and without even realising it. I'm just glad she's giving it a go. :D
  • il_principe
    Ch1st last night was depressing. The missus was sloooooooooooow especially with the wind, I think we were overtaken by every cyclist in London.

Did any one go NNNNEEEEEOOOOOWWWW!!!! as they went past? :wink::D

No, thank fcuk :o . A lot went creeeak creeeak, rattle rattle, rasp rasp, ping - though.
  • cjcp
    Ch1st last night was depressing. The missus was sloooooooooooow especially with the wind, I think we were overtaken by every cyclist in London. I got very cold as well - I'm used to moving at pace and was not wearing the right kit for our pootling speeds. Think it took about an hour to do a ride I can nail in 30 mins or so. Still chapeau to her for completing her first day. She's taking the rest of the week off as it's getting cold again and the forecast is bad.

I experimented with a different route in from hers today, avoiding edgware and then heading into the city via Oxford st and Holborn. Much slower I think and far more fiddly. Little action to report although I did bag a couple of roadies and a Bowery.

@CJ - How many reps of Broomfield did you and JG get in? I imagine RP was busy last weekend? Aside from Box hill, my Surrey loop was quieter than expected. Pity this weekend is looking miserable, it was great being able to get out for a decent ride in the sun.

I hate the Oxford St/Holborn area full stop. Good skills though that she's on the bike.

Went up it five times (five c'wise laps). Was gripping the handlebars with my teeth the final time. Plus a detour to Prologue on the way home (it's actually in the completely opposite direction to my house and didn't even get what I went in there for I was so distracted by other goodies :roll: ). There were a some hold ups on the downhill stretch from Richmond to Sheen Gates because some people have never seen deer before and don't realise that you can just stop in the road, and some up to Pembroke Lodge. There were more bikes going a/c'wise though.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Aside from Box hill, my Surrey loop was quieter than expected. Pity this weekend is looking miserable, it was great being able to get out for a decent ride in the sun.

Did you try the Box Hill Challenge? :D
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."