Silly commuting racing

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    cjcp wrote:
    I've twice nearly been taken out on Embankment by drafting fairies when their line of sight has been obscured and they've only just stopped in time at lights or for traffic, so I really don't feel very comfortable anymore with someone on my wheel in traffic unless they do as JonGinge does (and you also) and move out to the side. I've begun to feel a tad more at ease recently, but I had to explain this to a chap who very politely thanked me for a tow along the NKR earlier this week. Sorry. :oops:
    Can't be too careful when riding close to others. Once got taken out by a richochet crash near parliament. MTB*er did an emergency stop at the ped crossing a hundred yards after lambeth roundabout. The roadie behind him went straight into him. I was riding primary but my front wheel was taken by the roadie's bike which ended up at 90degrees to the direction of travel..

* no aspersions are being made with regard to this bike choice
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I miss this thread!

I haven't had one proper battle for a while now.

Come on people!!!

I'm so bored out there I've resorted to setting myself personal challenges...

I'm bored.

I miss reporting my stories to this thread.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    You were ahead of me I think at the VB lights or I may have been penned in, but I followed you down to KR and I did indeed ease up alongside just before the lights, where I go straight on to Fulham Broadway.

Good to know that I was keeping you honest :) A steady 40kph into a headwind was hard work.

I think the video will show that although many people talk about souplesse, few attain that state of nirvana. But you do need work on your tan if you're getting your legs out this early in the season :wink:

:lol:

Re the tan. You're quite right, they're a bit pale. :oops:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Greg T wrote:
    I'll tell you what why don't I work on my balance by shoving some mountain bike forks up you, grabbing your ears and riding you like a pogo stick?

How are you going to catch me if you need stabilisers?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    cjcp wrote:
    Greg T wrote:
    I'll tell you what why don't I work on my balance by shoving some mountain bike forks up you, grabbing your ears and riding you like a pogo stick?

I may be slow and wobbly but I am both tenacious and cunning - I shall craft a plan of such ruthless inevitablity that you will gasp in wonder and extreme discomfort, as I insert the aforesaid forks.

It's either that or I wait round the corner at the big Vauxhall junction and push you over whilst stationary in the green box before running off and giggling like a schoolgirl (for I will be dressed as such)
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    Greg T wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Greg T wrote:

I may be slow and wobbly but I am both tenacious and cunning - I shall craft a plan of such ruthless inevitablity that you will gasp in wonder and extreme discomfort, as I insert the aforesaid forks.

It's either that or I wait round the corner at the big Vauxhall junction and push you over whilst stationary in the green box before running off and giggling like a schoolgirl (for I will be dressed as such)

CJCP - Its not drafting fairies you need to watch out for at VB. :shock: This could seriously impair your souplesse. :o
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    On the bright side: Nice bit of SCR this morning - Flatbar vs me in high head wind.....I won and dissapeared.....over the horizon!

Not so bright side: One of my carbon bottle holders broke.....

Very wet and windswept when I finally got into work, very annoyed to find I am the only one in today too.......(I don't count one of my colleagues as being in, because he is hopeless!).
  • cjcp
    CJCP - Its not drafting fairies you need to watch out for at VB. :shock: This could seriously impair your souplesse. :o

I have visions of a hairy, hobbit-like creature jumping out from behind one of the traffic lights, clutching a set of Rock Shox.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    cjcp wrote:

I have visions of a hairy, hobbit-like creature jumping out from behind one of the traffic lights, clutching a set of Rock Shox.

Don't forget the "dressed like a schoolgirl" bit, if I have to suffer that mental image I don't see why you shouldn't, I'm traumatised, thanks GT.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I almost was involved in an almighty pileup in France on the way to Paris. I was in the second group of riders, about 7 of us - the first group was 200-300 yards ahead and we were going at a fair lick as we wanted to catch them (we were pretty much the quickest bunch of riders). As we approach a traffic light, about 30 feet away, it goes amber. All of us have one intention, to legally maintain our speed and cycle through before it goes red. All except the guy at the front, that is. Thank god we were all paying attention!

I also want to see hot CJCP video action! Make it work, Christophe!

(though isn't it a bit, well, pervy to be filming another man in this way? Especially as you talk about him with almost erotic admiration?)
  • I think the cycling gods decided to punish me for my pitiful display yesterday evening. About 3 miles into my commute I had that sinking feeling and sure enough, p*ncture!

I had to walk about a mile and a half or so to Edwardes on Walworth Road and when I got there I discovered I had left my wallet behind and only had £2.85 in cash. The guy just gave me back my change and said "drop the fiver in whenever you get the chance".

Chapeau to you mate. You saved my bacon as I had an important meeting to get to, which I just managed, no time for a shower so a bit smelly, but I made it. Next bike upgrade is coming from Edwardes for sure.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    cjcp wrote:

You forget in your chillingly accurate description of my planned fork wielding ambush that I will be dressed in the manner of Britney Spears (who is a fierce embankment peletoner when in town) in that seminal piece of postmodern feminist iconoclasm the "Baby hit me one more time" video....

As for Soup-Lease is see no point in renting soup.

I presume you feel the future soup market will fall leaving you in negative soup equity. I can understand this. I've got a can of Campbells cream of chicken from the 2002 chill in the markets - I'll never see that 74p again.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • cjcp
    Oh, and welcome to the embankment Roastiecp - I thinks it's the spiritual home of SCR .

There's a case for saying that Chris LS's stomping ground is the spiritual home - what Hawaii is to surfing, if you like. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Greg T wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Greg T wrote:
    What should I do to get back on my A game?

Do not fret. Attach some stabilisers to your bike and just ride up and down your tree-lined Twickenham road before while you practice clipping in and unclipping.

You see that's just not helpful now is it.....

What you need are some of these

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/DMR_V ... 360030591/

See - they come in a wide range of colours 8)
  • cjcp
    biondino wrote:
    Especially as you talk about him with almost erotic admiration?)

Remember though: he was following me, not drafting, and he was on a SS. So he's probably the one who deserves the chapeau. 8)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    S.O.R - They guys at Edwardes are very nice, I made a call in there last week after a PF visit. I'd rather stupidly left the pump at home but flagged another cyclist down to borrow a pump. Not wanting to keep him long I only got a small amount of air in and had to borrow their trackpump (shops) to get it up to full pressure!

Very much appreciated as I was don't think I could have got any further along Camberwell or Walworth Road with 700*25C tyres at about 45PSI! I'd have pinch flatted in no time!!!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    cjcp wrote:
    biondino wrote:

Remember though: he was following me, not drafting, and he was on a SS. So he's probably the one who deserves the chapeau. 8)

Should I be suggesting you two get a room at this point? Christophe can bring his camera.
  • Christophe3967
    biondino wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    biondino wrote:

Should I be suggesting you two get a room at this point? Christophe can bring his camera.

It's not that sort of camera :roll:
  • See the second post in this thread.

A FCN is "a sort of commuter-induced snobbery to seperate casual cyclists from more serious ones and to encourage some very pointless commuter racing".

Snobbery? Pointless?

"It's a sort of fascist cycling class system... "

Fascist?

I think some people in the Cake Stop need putting right about a few things. :evil:

Pointless? It's the game!

Snobbery? Shurely shome mishtake? A handicapping system would be a better description. Isn't it inverse snobbery? Having a lower FCN doesn't make you better, it makes you a target. :lol:

Fascist? We wear lycra not jackboots! Admittedly, some of use wear peaked caps.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362

Really? One designed to upload movies quicly(ish) and easily(ish) to the internet.

Are you sure?
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Descend the baying masses....

When you've finished with Ash_ please leave condolences with his immediate family and friends :P :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Christophe3967
    Attica wrote:

Really? One designed to upload movies quicly(ish) and easily(ish) to the internet.

Are you sure?

They assured me it was OK. And it has to go on a bicycle.
  • Christophe3967
    See the second post in this thread.

A FCN is "a sort of commuter-induced snobbery to seperate casual cyclists from more serious ones and to encourage some very pointless commuter racing".

Snobbery? Pointless?

Fascist?

I think some people in the Cake Stop need putting right about a few things. :evil:

Snobbery? Shurely shome mishtake? A handicapping system would be a better description. Isn't it inverse snobbery? Having a lower FCN doesn't make you better, it makes you a target. :lol:

Blimey. Next thing we'll be accused of is being elitist.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    See the second post in this thread.

Snobbery? Pointless?

Fascist?

Either that post is tongue in cheek or they simply haven't realised that the whole notion of SCR is a light-hearted one.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Yes did someone call...?

I distinctly heard someone mentioned the elite fascist or was it fascist elite.... wanders off back to the garage.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Either that post is tongue in cheek or they simply haven't realised that the whole notion of SCR is a deadly serious life choice.

Fixed that for you :wink:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    You would think that the word SILLY in the name would in fact serve as a hint.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Ash_ wrote:
    As I understand it, and I'm happy to be corrected on this, it's a sort of commuter-induced snobbery to seperate casual cyclists from more serious ones and to encourage some very pointless commuter racing (trying to catch / pass people with a better Food Chain Number).

It's a sort of fascist cycling class system...

Hey did you guys see the Cakestop protest outside the Morpeth last friday? :shock:

3386890807_e208ac273a_o.jpg

:lol:
  • itboffin
    *** BEHOLD ***

THE BEAST II - SON OF THE BEAST

it's safe to scroll right honest :D

3387683940_0ff11c7e46_b.jpg

coming to a school run near you soon :D
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    @JA - :lol:

I think the word Silly in the title is mis-understood. It's not the act of commuter racing that is silly, but that we race silly commuters ;-) Sorta like that new movie Lesbian Vampire Killers.....are we to assume those killing the vampires shy away from the sausage or are we killing vampires that are more likely to bite between a fellow womens legs then into her neck???

All very confusing ;-)

I just think Cake Stop are jealous that we have such a MASSIVELY successful thread.........

Edit to add: Post 9960 :-) 40 to go guys and gals until the biggie!! Now we just have to figure out away to knock out GregT's internet access :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5