Silly commuting racing

Comments

• edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    oooh vigorelli - nice !!!

yeah, you can lift the quill stem - slacken off the allen bolt and it will rise up with the stem still firm, get a hammer and a bit of wood and knock in the bolt and it will slacken off the expansion nut below - then you can set the height and tighten it up again
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Big tailwind on the commute home. However, was too distracted to enjoy it.
    I was flying for the first half. Victoria embankment and millbank were a blur and joy incarnate.
    Then, the grim realities of RTAs intruded into this cycling nirvana. DSC was closed off. The officer of the law told us to 'keep on the pavement'. The cute fast hybrider I'd just passed and I saw the funny side of this directive (man, could she spin). We weren't laughing for long. At the exit of the DSC there was a bike at the side of the road and a bit further on a crashed moped. Quite a bit further on was the mopedder still on the ground and looking in a bad way. Hope you're not too badly hurt, fella. Speedy recovery.
    The rest of the way home I was distracted and nauseous and my spidey-sense for suicide camo-peds was down several notches.

Be careful out there chaps and chappesses.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Absolutly flew home tonight.... didn't have the speedo rather annoyingly. got my new record levers on yesterday and it's now a beast, the power courses from the carbon levers and fuels my blood with the power of awesome

sorry came over all DDD then.... I suspect that I had yesterday off meant I was rested and raring to go.

there was a lovely moment on the roundabout near the rotherithe tunnel where there were 6 bikes all in a line going round I went past leaning in past dross, dross, dross fixed, roadie then fixed in one short burst of awesome 8)
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    JonGinge wrote:
    Big tailwind on the commute home. However, was too distracted to enjoy it.
    I was flying for the first half. Victoria embankment and millbank were a blur and joy incarnate.
    Then, the grim realities of RTAs intruded into this cycling nirvana. DSC was closed off. The officer of the law told us to 'keep on the pavement'. The cute fast hybrider I'd just passed and I saw the funny side of this directive (man, could she spin). We weren't laughing for long. At the exit of the DSC there was a bike at the side of the road and a bit further on a crashed moped. Quite a bit further on was the mopedder still on the ground and looking in a bad way. Hope you're not too badly hurt, fella. Speedy recovery.
    The rest of the way home I was distracted and nauseous and my spidey-sense for suicide camo-peds was down several notches.

Be careful out there chaps and chappesses.

By the time I got there they'd closed the pavement as well so I had no idea what had happened, and arrived home chuffed with a PB despite the diversion, and a top speed of 46 - inspired by the earlier deeds of G66, CJCP, BJUK. This really does takes the edge of it though - hope those guys are not too badly hurt.
  • Petromyzon
    Petromyzon Posts: 221
    biondino wrote:
    I should really post this on the fixed gear thread but I think you should all know - I just picked up the Vigorelli!

I cycled it back from London Bridge - 9 or 10 miles I guess? I have seldom if ever been so scared on a bike, and for once not because of traffic. My hands are stiff and sore, my bum feels tender in unusual places, and my mind is a whirr.

Initial thoughts, in no particular order:

- don't stop pedalling don't stop pedalling don't stop pedalling
    - I did stop pedalling, of course, 4 times I think, once as I was almost home and subconsciously easing up. No-one told me that as well as the upward thrust you also get what feels like speed wobble! Thank god I was gripping the bars so hard...
    - saddle needs to be slightly higher and pointing slightly further up, and if a quill stem's height can be adjusted - it can, can't it? - I'd like that slightly higher too. But no surprise as the bike wasn't set up for me
    - why do people ride fixed gear bikes without the world's best front brake? The Vigorelli has a brand new Tiagra caliper and some strange, small lever with sharp edges which may be the nuts in the world of track (yes, I know they don't use brakes on the track) but is really not very user friendly. My fingers are knackered!
    - man, I can go up hills quickly :)
    - I've never felt such smoothness in a bike
    - I miss hoods!
    - 48/18 is an excellent gearing combo for London, phew

Anyway, more later I'm sure, I have to go to choir practice. I have no idea if I've done the right thing buying this bike. I'm just thankful I made it home in one piece.

I was terrified the first time I tried riding my Langster fixed, so much so that I flipped it back round and rode free for the next 8 months. I turned it back when I really needed a shorter gear (fixed cog is 18t, free 16t) and haven't looked back since. Speedbumps were always the worst as my habit was always to stand and level the pedals as I went over them, but after the first few rides and a few times when it nearly bucked me over the bars I feel more confident now.

Look forward to seeing you on the KR/Col du Putney. 8) 8)
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Folks I feel slightly sheepish about this, I don't mean to keep dropping in and blowing my own trumpet but this one is a classic, if perhaps not quite a scalp:

I was pootling behind a chap on a tourer through the Cumberland Basin this evening (a 40mph multi-laned nightmare of a section) I was easily faster but didn't want to pop out into the flow of myopic speed merchants in tin boxes to get past him, besides I had my laptop in my courier bag on my back and I was feeling far from comfortable with the extra weight.
    Then BAM, two roadies came past me, one on a Trek, one on a Litespeed, both wearing Assos tights and tops, those four items of clothing alone would buy me another Paddywagon. I jumped on the back of their train with two swift pedal strokes out of the saddle, maybe BAM was overstating it a bit, we dropped down heading for LA (Long Ashton) and had a brief chat at the lights, I established that I had about 3 miles of duelling with these two before our paths diverged, they really weren't pushing that much so after the about half a mile I took the lead (never one to be a drafting fairy when I can do some work) I pulled them right through LA and got to some temporary traffic lights at red just before the last little rise (massive hill in Londonese) out of LA and then the nice long mile straight before we were due to spilt.

Another brief natter before I led them away from the lights again. On clearing the town I looked back and was shocked to see them about 20 or 30 yards back, working their way back onto my tail, I eased up thinking they'd like the draft. Cheeky buggers rode straight over the top telling me I'd run out of gears, red rag to a bull I'm afraid, I pulled out and only had time to nose ahead before the roundabouts and adieu.

Now I'm not sure I can claim a scalp as I didn't run them ragged but two guys out on a training ride accepting a draft from a commuter on a single speed with something from Bletchley Park strapped to his back must have been quite a sight to behold.

I got home, dumped the laptop in the garage and went straight back out, loving this weather. Wish I'd thought to take a water bottle with me though.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"

• By the time I got there they'd closed the pavement as well so I had no idea what had happened, and arrived home chuffed with a PB despite the diversion, and a top speed of 46 - inspired by the earlier deeds of G66, CJCP, BJUK. This really does takes the edge of it though - hope those guys are not too badly hurt.

Tell me that's kmh.

Please?

If it's mph, on the flat, I'm getting the train in the morning.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Greg66 wrote:

By the time I got there they'd closed the pavement as well so I had no idea what had happened, and arrived home chuffed with a PB despite the diversion, and a top speed of 46 - inspired by the earlier deeds of G66, CJCP, BJUK. This really does takes the edge of it though - hope those guys are not too badly hurt.

Tell me that's kmh.

Please?

If it's mph, on the flat, I'm getting the train in the morning.

I can't believe I just read that...........MTFU! The train isn't an option!!!!

But indeed if that is MPH on the flat well done sir! My 40mph was attained just after the steeper downhill section, but I still needed to pound the pedals, I looked down quickly as I was coming off the ramp knowing I can hit 38 down there and saw 39! I just wasn't going to be happy if I'd got 39.8!

BD - Excellent work for the first time on a FG! All you need now is the rolled up leg on your jeans and you'll fit in great with the numerous couriers that frequent the soho area ;-)

Attica - I'd say you can at least claim a moral scalping, a SS rider keeping pace, pacing and catching roadies is certainly a feat! Chapeau!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Christophe3967
    Guys, its OK. KPH - but on the Pearson, on drag just after VB, so not too shabby. :)

This morning was quiet with only a couple of roadies for sport, first a Bianchi along Birdcage Walk, he fought back after we stopped for lights but I had his scalp by the time we hit HOP. Later a pretty Cannondale Synapse with red tyres - the guy put the hammer down at the lights and had a 100 metres by the time I'd wound up some revs. He was out of the saddle and I think he was suprised to see me cruise by about 50 metres before the Waterloo Bridge junction.. :)
  • Bassjunkieuk
    C3967 - I think it was the morning for all the shiny bikes to come out! I can just about trump the Synapse tho :-) As I go onto the second roundabout at E&C just by the choob station to head round towards Borough High Road I saw a couple of roadies coming round into the bus lane. I was already feeling pretty good having timed my entry to the previous rounabout to perfection and getting a rather good line round it!

As I got closed I could see in rather large letters on the closer of the 2 bikes "Focus" - Aha! I thought, a proper challenger :-) Imagine my delight then as I get a bit closer and spot that the roadie guy in fronts fork appears to be melting..........it isn't...........IT BL00DY IS!!!! I don't think it was a Prince, maybe an FP3 but it certainly was a Pinarello (on a side note EVANS are now stocking these..........)
    Having spotted this second higher class foe I was expecting to get a nice drag race down towards "The Moon" - those who traverse Borough High Road will know what I mean there!

The only problem was that I didn't really see them after that......I'm sure they where either alongside or behind me as we pulled from the next set of lights just before M.O.S but with the bus lane ahead I can't see how I got that far ahead.....lights stayed clear at next junction then traffic backed up. A quick shoulder check confirmed I didn't have a tail.
    WOOHOO! I love the smell of Focus and Pinarello scalp in the morning, I'm thinking of getting them mounted and hung above the fireplace :-D

Had some numpty MTB try jostling for position as we pulled away near London Bridge, not quite sure what made him think we was going to make a quicker get away from the lights then me but I didn't appreciate him trying to get in front at a pinch point with traffic :evil: Once I got clipped back in (bl;00dy new shoes!) I was soon rid of him.

When I did arrive at the north side of London Bridge tho I really did wish I was in the LH lane as a black guy, in fairly casual clothing pulled up on a SS/FG, with one of the biggest front cogs I've ever seen! The rear also looked about the size of a 2p piece so christ knows what gearing he was running! I really wanted go over and chat but we where headed in different directions :-(
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Please! Stop this talk of PBs and top speeds! (Chapeau, chaps :) )

After starting to feel low on energy last night, I had absolutely nothing in the tank this morning. And I, mean, nothin'. (I had a shocking night's sleep.)

I lost two fixers on the NKR after they filtered quickly and I just couldn't be a@rsed to give chase. I was then barely scraping 20 on Chelsea Embankment. It was just as well that there was nobody around because I was a sitting duck.

Not good to hear about the RTA. :( Hope they're ok.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    *Public service annoucement*

It's ok everyone, I'm not commuting today.

I have a day off, so that means that the roads and the Scalps of the Clapham to Wimbledon are once again safe.

*Public service annoucement*

I am off to Luciano Cycles to drool over a Kuota Kharma!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Christophe3967
    BJUK - no doubting that yours are superior scalps. A Prince being used for commuting - people have some funny notions :wink: . I should mention that I also overtook a rather smart Ridley X Fire this morning, with Racing 3s; the owner had two bidons with PSP22 powder ready to fill - I've never thought of doing that - however it was strapped to the back of a van at the time. :wink:
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Attica wrote:

Now I'm not sure I can claim a scalp as I didn't run them ragged but two guys out on a training ride accepting a draft from a commuter on a single speed with something from Bletchley Park strapped to his back must have been quite a sight to behold.

It's a scalp. What a couple of pu$$ies: "two guys out on a training ride accepting a draft from a commuter on a single speed"

Chapeau.

I cannot wait to get out to Surrey tomorrow morning!
  • Bassjunkieuk
    BJUK - no doubting that yours are superior scalps. A Prince being used for commuting - people have some funny notions :wink: . I should mention that I also overtook a rather smart Ridley X Fire this morning, with Racing 3s; the owner had two bidons with PSP22 powder ready to fill - I've never thought of doing that - however it was strapped to the back of a van at the time. :wink:

I don't actually thing the Pinarello rider was on a Prince.........certainly had the wavy forks and a nice set of wheels! I'd love to go completely OTT for a commuting machine but I'd need something rather extreme.........like a Cervelo P4 TT bike! Heck I think with a bike like that I'd never make it to work and just spend the whole day powering up and down the embankment in an aero tuck :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    @ Bass - was it one of these:

pinarello_fp3_duraace_red_2009.jpg

I'm tempted by an FP, ideally my bike garage would consist of the Prince, an FP3 and one of these:

xtrack_304_minio.jpg

Drool.

Just seen the new FP7 actually:

fp7_433_minio.jpg

and the FP6:

fp6_365_minio.jpg

slobber.

[/list]
  • Guys, its OK. KPH - but on the Pearson, on drag just after VB, so not too shabby. :)

This morning was quiet with only a couple of roadies for sport, first a Bianchi along Birdcage Walk, he fought back after we stopped for lights but I had his scalp by the time we hit HOP. Later a pretty Cannondale Synapse with red tyres - the guy put the hammer down at the lights and had a 100 metres by the time I'd wound up some revs. He was out of the saddle and I think he was suprised to see me cruise by about 50 metres before the Waterloo Bridge junction.. :)

Phew.

Cannondale man let himself down badly. If you're going to play hare for the hounds, once you get out front you've got to ride like your life depends on it. Having a target makes it easy for the hounds - the hare can never let up until he's safe.

In the event, I did ride in this morning. I'm getting a bit of tenderness in the ol' lower back at the mo,and some IT band tightness on the left. All a bit unpleasantly reminiscent. Switched to Bike 2 and took it easy. Fortunately didn't have to go to battle stations.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Attica wrote:

It's a scalp. What a couple of pu$$ies: "two guys out on a training ride accepting a draft from a commuter on a single speed"

Chapeau.

+1

Not a doubt.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • SiHughes wrote:

Lots of good duelling down the drag strip this morning...@DDD, still haven't seen you yet mate!

So perhaps the SCR gods were looking down on the thread yesterday and lo and behold who should I spot ahead of me on my way home but none other than Mr DDD. He was sandwiched in a 3 man line pushing away from the Clapham South junction. As I passed, I shouted a cheery "Laurence!" and dop of the old helmet.

The next traffic lights turned red which allowed us to exchange plesantries and a handshake. Sod's law that our paths should cross when I had an equipment malfunction - my rear laptop pannier was catching on my spokes which is infuriating.

However, didn't stop us having an enjoyable blast down to The Broadway!

Until next time DDD....!

Unfortunately got taught a slight lesson by a chap in team kit on a Willier Escape this morning....He came along side at Stockwell tube and I just about managed to keep up with him at non-drafting distance until VB where we parted but I'm sure he had plenty in the tank. I guess I have to come to terms with the fact that I'm never going to challenge the top of the food chain while I'm on a fully loaded hybrid....I will keep on valiantly trying though! :D

Also, saw a fantastic suited old chap on a Pashley this morning wearing a bowler hat....suits you and CHAPEAU SIR!
    "Come at the king, you best not miss." - Omar, The Wire

FCN 4: Willier Izoard XP
    FCN 7: GT Legato 4.0

*GAME* competitor
  • Bassjunkieuk
    JA - I'm fairly sure it was an FP3 - in those colors!
    I saw the SS Pina down at GB Cycles the other day..........good damn did it look nice!
    Unfortunately I think putting a new bike on the credit card would be the quickest and most direct route to a divorce ;-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Hey BJ, you probably don't want to blow your own trumpet, but isn't it worth telling people about the sponsored ride in your sig? I was very happy to donate to a very worthy cause and I'm sure there'll be others too.

(this way you hopefully get more donations without actually being pushy yourself - clever huh :) )
  • Bassjunkieuk
    biondino wrote:
    Hey BJ, you probably don't want to blow your own trumpet, but isn't it worth telling people about the sponsored ride in your sig? I was very happy to donate to a very worthy cause and I'm sure there'll be others too.

(this way you hopefully get more donations without actually being pushy yourself - clever huh :) )

Indeed! Thank you for mentioning that BD and your donation was very kind!
    I was thinking of starting a thread on the forum but it seemed a bit OT for "Commuting"
    Might pop one out as every little helps! My wife has also suggested another cause I could get sponsored for if I take part in any other "challenge" bike rides, which I was all up for as it means I have an excuse to tackle the long sportives!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Hello there from the land down under!

Blondie: yaaaaaaay fixie-wixie!

Well, me and my £95 K-Mart Triax Crimson (check me out) have been putting in a few miles. Man is the air dry out here. I wouldn't even consider bringing water for a 20mile essex spin on flat-ish ground, but strewth (bruce) you need it here. And it's at 2300' above sea level. If that counts.

Joined up with the local cycle club today for a 'sprint climb' up to the war memorial, a decent sized hill for a london/essex girl like me. And yeah, the seasoned hot weather cyclists left me for dead, but I was among the middle group, and 'not bad for a pommie'. Leg = improving.

Much fun! If you think the weather's nice there.... well.
  • Hello there from the land down under!

Well, me and my £95 K-Mart Triax Crimson (check me out) have been putting in a few miles. Man is the air dry out here. I wouldn't even consider bringing water for a 20mile essex spin on flat-ish ground, but strewth (bruce) you need it here. And it's at 2300' above sea level. If that counts.

Joined up with the local cycle club today for a 'sprint climb' up to the war memorial, a decent sized hill for a london/essex girl like me. And yeah, the seasoned hot weather cyclists left me for dead, but I was among the middle group, and 'not bad for a pommie'. Leg = improving.

Why aren't the letters in your post upside down?

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • biondino
    K-Mart pix plz!
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Greg66 wrote:

I was surprised she managed to find an internet connection ;-)
    Good to hear from ya anyway LiT!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Greg66 wrote:

Because I'm holding the laptop upside-down. Like, derrrrrrrrrrr. :lol:
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945

No fair. Lit's altitude training.

Not at all jealous, nosirree. :(
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Greg66 wrote:

Because I'm holding the laptop upside-down. Like, derrrrrrrrrrr. :lol:

and have VERY long arms! :wink: Laptop still in London? :P
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • biondino
    Here's the Triax Crimson:

triax.jpg

And yes, I think if I got to ride with that view I wouldn't mind how crap it was either :shock: