Silly commuting racing

Comments

• I'm utterly hopeless at spinning. The next gear up is 52/20 or 70", and I find it insanely spinny, and don't like it one bit.

65 will kill me.
  • don_don wrote:
    DDD - you will kick my @rse all the way into next week in my current condition!

Just worked out the GI I've been recuperation riding around on - it's 52/18 or 78. Blast and damn. Must ride a shorter gear. :roll:

You scare me sometimes :shock:

Try 65ish (46x18, 48x20) and spin a bit more. It'll feel wrong at first but you can still do 20mph on the flat without spinning too silly.

What must your thighs look like?

Damn and blast I wish I hadn't said that out loud :oops: :oops: :oops:

Keyboard dribbly much? :D:D
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • biondino wrote:
    Jash, is there any chance that when you put the power down the frame is flexing in a way that effectively loosens the chain (by shortening the distance between BB and rear axle) or puts it out of alignment? Was it happening specifically when you pushed with your left or with your right foot?

Mmm I'd not considered this. It is an Alu frame and so this could be possible I suppose. Both times it's happened the chain has jammed with the left pedal at 6o'clock. If it is the frame then that's a right bugger, no easy fix and I want to do a fair bit of training on the SS over the next few months.

From what you've said, I'd point the finger at frame flex.

You stand on the left pedal, and the BB area moves to the right. As it does, your chain line comes offset, causing the chain to jump off the rear sprocket the right as you look down on it from behind - ie between the sprocket and the frame.

I used to have a steel Condor which was appallingly flexy around the BB.

Maybe you can adjust your chain line to be slightly off to the left at the front to compensate, although then you run the risk of a right foot push jumping the chain off between the sprocket and the wheel.

You left footed/handed or right?

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • I'm utterly hopeless at spinning. The next gear up is 52/20 or 70", and I find it insanely spinny, and don't like it one bit.

65 will kill me.

Best not to practise it then, eh? Might get better otherwise. :D:wink:

Remember: train to your weaknesses, race to your strengths...

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Liv, WTFD and learn to spin like a mere mortal!
  • I don't know if this is me talking utter blocks here, but if frame flex is the issue, could it be helped by slackening off the chain tension a bit, giving the chain room to twist?

Just a thought.
  • Greg and Blondie, I know you're right. I just don't like it.

*folds arms emphatically and sticks out bottom lip*
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I nearly became a bonnet mascot for mondeo man tonight :x Coming down a sideroad with a x-roads 100 yds away from where I joined I could see the traffic was stopped because of the juncion with a gap where the xroads were. When I was within 15yds of the xroads mondeoman decides to take advantage of the traffic stopped and go across the road into my path. He soon stops as I do and we stare at each other for a few seconds and arm waving from me and fo&k all from mondeo man, not even a mouthed apology through the windscreen. Wasted precious adrenaline on the tw@t.

Learned a new part of the highway code tonight also, scooters when ridden by the female of the human species don't need to turn on their lights after dark. Got home after the above incident dumped the bie in the hallway to get an evening paper, as I crossed on the lights there was a scooter stopping. As the rider stopped she raised her visor to hear me saying there was a light switch on the handlebars which she hadn't found when I came out of the newsagent :x
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Greg66 wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    Jash, is there any chance that when you put the power down the frame is flexing in a way that effectively loosens the chain (by shortening the distance between BB and rear axle) or puts it out of alignment? Was it happening specifically when you pushed with your left or with your right foot?

Mmm I'd not considered this. It is an Alu frame and so this could be possible I suppose. Both times it's happened the chain has jammed with the left pedal at 6o'clock. If it is the frame then that's a right bugger, no easy fix and I want to do a fair bit of training on the SS over the next few months.

From what you've said, I'd point the finger at frame flex.

You stand on the left pedal, and the BB area moves to the right. As it does, your chain line comes offset, causing the chain to jump off the rear sprocket the right as you look down on it from behind - ie between the sprocket and the frame.

I used to have a steel Condor which was appallingly flexy around the BB.

Maybe you can adjust your chain line to be slightly off to the left at the front to compensate, although then you run the risk of a right foot push jumping the chain off between the sprocket and the wheel.

You left footed/handed or right?

Right.

The Fcuking thing came off again this evening, just as I was winding up. Really starting to get on my t1ts now. Hoping a deeper toothed cog will help but if it is flex there's nothing I can do really.
  • Are you pulling up with the right foot?

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • il_principe
    Yep, I'm riding it like I'd ride the Prince in a sprint...

perhaps this is the issue.
  • Sounds like it might be. Full power, push down on the left and pull up with the right and off it pops. I reckon frame flex under load is screwing your chain line.

Try to offset it a bit and see if it helps. Obviously too far and you'll throw the chain off the other way.

Maybe you need a new frame. Once with a really strong BB area.

Hmmm. Wonder who makes such a frame. Hmmm. I'll get back to you on that one :wink::D

EDIT: seriously though, try this. Stand over the bike, and lean it 15 degrees to (say) the left. get the right pedal at 6 o'clock and stand on it - full force. How much lateral movement is there in the BB area of the frame?

And what are you training for? The sprint off against DDD?

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    don_don wrote:
    I cannot understand what is going wrong here, chain tension is fine and it would appear to take a huge amount of effort to jump the chain off the rear cog, i tried getting it back on without loosening the tracknuts and there was no way I could do it. So what is happening? Is the rear cog worn? It doesn't look worn. I think I'm going to invest in a White Industries 16T frewheel, rather than the el cheapo Shimano one. Perhaps that will help.

I thought that the combo of 50 and 16T plus balls out sprinting might be something to do with it, but lets face it, I'm no Chris Hoy and his chain doesn't bloody jump off.

It might well be the cheap sprocket. Good ones (White, Phil Wood, Euro-Asia etc) have deep, profiled teeth which help stop the chain skipping. You must be putting an enormous amount of force onto it from that 50T chain-ring. Even Hoy would be impressed!

Yeah I'm going to upgrade - that's usually my answer to everything anyway :D . As for the force, well I do try! Besides I have to practice my sprinting in prep for the great DDD Vs Jash challenge...

Also, have a really good check that a) your chain's not worn or stretched, b) the teeth on your sprocket are in good nick and, perhaps most importantly, c) that your chain, sprocket and chain ring are all perfectly in line.

c) was what caused my old commuter to drop its chain every time I rode it... and had the same trouble briefly with Gollum. Especially when you're pushing a big gear, a microscopic misalignment can cause the chain to make a sharp exit...

Wot she said - chainline or worn chain, I had the same problem due to a worn chain, now I have a worn axle and track nuts :shock: :?

Getting fed up with the amount of maint. my single speed needs, er! what????
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    biondino wrote:

ooooh please sir please! when I was out on the mercian yesterday it kept changing down a gear or two when I reached steep hills, at first I couldn't work out why but NOW I know why, the frame flexed and caused the friction shifters to loosen :shock:

It sucks when you auto change going up hill but now I know what to do, re route the rear gear cable if possible.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Jash wrote:
    I thought that the combo of 50 and 16T plus balls out sprinting might be something to do with it
    Jash wrote:
    Besides I have to practice my sprinting in prep for the great DDD Vs Jash challenge...
    Bass wrote:
    DDD - take this as a warning, you want to race a man that can rip the chain off his SS

Ah sh*t!

oh dear oh dear oh dear :shock:

The offer of a Wiltshire winter training camp is still there :lol:
  • Well, I WTFD'd and pedalled a fair bit of the way home in the smaller chainring. You happy now?

It wasn't actually that bad, but I really must find my computer to give me an indication of my speed so I can try to spin at a decent rate. Actually, I may be able to wrench the cadence computer from the mucky grip of the bowery...

I also (finally) followed the advice of the physio and pedalled home in trainers using the flat side of my SPD+flat combo, and it was great! Didn't hurt nearly as much... Note to self: listen to medical professionals. :roll:

Also got a decent saddle for the rubbish roadie, which may or may not have helped. Damn it Grace, change one thing at a time! One!

And I overtook 6 people, and was overtaken by 4. I'm counting this commute as a small victory. :)
  • itboffin
    Just a suggestion but why don't you stop worrying about who you've overtaken and who's overtaken you, lower your GI to 60-65 max and GET BETTER....!!!!!

DUH :P

[buns on]Plus learning to spin a low gear will pay HUGE DIVIDENDS when you're better [/buns off]
  • I'm in agreement with 'spen' here... I can't mash at the minute, it hurts after a while, so have to spin and I'm hoping that this will help me in the near future when I'm sorted out!!
  • itboffin
    I'm in agreement with 'spen' here... I can't mash at the minute, it hurts after a while, so have to spin and I'm hoping that this will help me in the near future when I'm sorted out!!

Yeh was it spen or buns I forget - when people tell me off I kinda switch off even though they both might have sometimes been right, perhaps

PS. I switched to spinning at HOTA after the first feed station and it was actually enjoyable for the rest of the ride, go figure :lol: oh and linsen company of course :lol::lol:
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    thank you for remembering the real reason for your enjoyment, ITB :wink:

I have just about recovered from HOTA now and realised today on the way to work that the things I used to think were "hills" on my commute are in actual fact pimples compared to what we faced that day.

I was frustrated today though - it was -1 on the way to work and 10 degrees on the way home - just how am I expected to dress for that all in one day?

Also, rode home from the LBS near work in my new shiny silver shoes and on my new shiny black pedals. Forgot myself a couple of times and missed the right point to clip in - I didn't fall off but sat down so hard on the saddle I tilted it downwards - weird cycling position that was!

Also I am sad to say that lovely shiny new shoes are now coated with mud splatters - as is my bike, after having been so lovingly cleaned after that stupid bike ride :roll:

Obviously I need a winter bike - negotiations have started. And probably finished. I tried pointing out that I have probably sacrificed around £100-£200k at least in salary to raise the children and therefore deserved as many bikes as I wanted, until it was rightly pointed out that we therefore don't have that money.

Damn you men and your bl00dy logic :evil:
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • il_principe
    Sell a child! :shock:

:D
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    d'you know they don't let you list them on Ebay? I have wondered about giving them free with some of their toys, but on balance.............
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    You got a schoolfull to sell so one or two won't be missed :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • After all the action this morning this evenings ride home was even more fun!
    I found a suicidal roadie up at Vauxhall Cross. A rather strange find in that he was riding a road bike with a rather high rise/short stem and was in what appeared to be casual shorts, flat shoes and a long sleeved top. No helmet or other gear to suggest a "serious" cyclist but he was really going some.

He squeezed up the inside of traffic that even I won't have chanced! He got through a set of lights before they changed and I was left standing :-( Thankfully the light sequence changed quickly and I set about reducing his lead.........once I'd past him I then had a few cyclist ahead to navigate round, I was clearly keeping a wide berth of the parked cars but one van driver still didn't see why he should allow me this luxury and passed within a hairs breadth, despite me travelling about the same speed as him :evil: Needless to say he found a cyclist right in between his headlights in the ASL at the next set of lights :-D Roadie guy yelled "What the 'ell he doin' tryin' to race us!" I did think "Sorry who was racing?" but kept it to myself!

Me and fast roadie then kept each other company past Stockwell and down towards Clapham, where he must have turned off as I didn't see him after that, he was rather quick! We both also narrowly avoided a myopic driver who pulled out in front of us - resulting in the two of us turning the air blue and getting the attention of a few peds!

I ended up having to make an emergency stop in Balham as I realized my bag cover had blown off again, thankfully it is attached inside the pocket it comes from so I can't lose it and decided that rather then try to put it back on it would be easier to stuff it back into the pocket and just let my bag get a bit wetter.........note to self, SLOW DOWN when I have the cover on!

No other scalps (except the roadie I chased down after my stop) but I can whole heartedly recommend the Aksiums as rather strong wheels and the Gator Skins as decent tyres after hitting a massive crater that had opened up on one of the residential roads I use towards the end of my commute. I only noticed the hole when it was too late to take evasive action and got a rather nasty jolt. I was fully expecting a puncture at the very least and a buckled wheel at worst, but I can happily report both tyre and wheel seem fine :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itboffin
    linsen wrote:
    d'you know they don't let you list them on Ebay? I have wondered about giving them free with some of their toys, but on balance.............

Great idea but I think you'd get more for "parts" :roll:

Oh and wrapping one up as a present for friends doesn't go down very well :D

Edit: Chapeau BJ for your never ending struggle to stay ON topic, keep up the good work :wink:
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Very quiet coming in this am - still a lot of ice about - had slightly hairy moment when I tried to accelerate up hill on black ice and the back wheel decided it wanted to overtake - did my famous imitation of a speedway rider and managed to stop without dropping me or the bike - bike shed empty when I got to work - MTFU
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Decided to take the route over the weir and lock and through the back lanes to my house last night which got exciting. Normally this is a relaxing ride but the lane from the lock was flooded for 50 meters up to the level of the bottom of the chainset. My lights kept dancing about on the water surface and the noise was a loud sucking slurp like the noise of the whirlpool just as your bath is about to empty. There was so much cross flow it felt like riding in a gale. I was quite happy to make it out the other side as falling in the ditches at the edge of the road would have been seriously bad for my health.

Bottled the ride in this morning due to ice being everywhere. All the puddles had frozen over night and then cars had turned them into a weird slush which had spread across the roads and re-frozen. Lethal.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    After yesterday's failed attempt to get up early to beat the traffic - success! Had no option really, had to be in early cos I'm the only one in today and tomorrow. And tomorrow's my last day in this job. According to office tradition I have to bring cakes in for all my colleagues on my last day. I suppose I'll have to eat them all myself then!

So back ON topic then... I've become so lazy this winter I'd forgotten the bliss of charging down uncongested roads and charging for the lights before they go red. It's amazing. I left the house half an hour earlier than yesterday and got in 45 minutes earlier!
  • itboffin
    Feltup wrote:
    Bottled the ride in this morning due to ice being everywhere. All the puddles had frozen over night and then cars had turned them into a weird slush which had spread across the roads and re-frozen. Lethal.

MTFU

see pic below?

My 4 yr old daughter rode to school this morning, of course I forced her but then that's what good parenting is all about :P

3273313373_c176a03986.jpg
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    My 4 yr old daughter rode to school this morning, of course I forced her but then that's what good parenting is all about :P

3273313373_c176a03986.jpg[/quote]

She'll thank you for it in later life :D