Silly commuting racing

Comments

• kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847

This weather, either it is banging down with rain, or blowing a gale, or both. Getting properly fed up with headwinds now.

hail. You forgot the flipping hail.
    That's fair.
  • This weather, either it is banging down with rain, or blowing a gale, or both. Getting properly fed up with headwinds now.

Beginning to wonder if I dreamed that I wore shorts outdoors yesterday, like winter out there today!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • martinc
    martinc Posts: 422
    edited March 2020
    Glad of disc brakes this morn. Nearly left-hooked by a Mercedes GLC on Kings Road who suddenly decided he didn't fancy the traffic jam. Power slide alongside him and finish with a shoulder thump on his passenger window. He was very apologetic so we ambled on. Would never have stopped in time with rim brakes.
    Always in stealth mode
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    tgotb said:

These days it feels like heading West requires at least 250W, in the drops, or you're not going anywhere...

The struggle is real. :)

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    got an automated email this morning telling me my FTP has increased by 6W :D
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165

This weather, either it is banging down with rain, or blowing a gale, or both. Getting properly fed up with headwinds now.

This morning lovely and sunny was nearly into double digits, just passed Hounslow Heath though no dandy highwaymen! I had unwisely dressed down and I’ve been overheating last few days/week or so, hail arrives temp drops to 1C and due to wardrobe choices it’s bloody freezing!

• rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    Alternating WFH/WFO. On the commute days my legs feel sooo much fresher! Even into the headwinds we've had.
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • hopkinb
    My rear tyre spontaneously deflated with a load of weird shrieking last night - I was about to yell at the boy to stop making such a racket, when I realised what it was. Think I'm going to have to replace that nearly brand new cut tyre - it was fine all the way in, and all the way home. I couldn't find anything in the tyre this morning, and with a new tube, it lasted all the way to work again.

Lovely whooshy sunny ride in - I'm gonna buy me some new sunglasses as I was a bit squinty this morning, that should put paid to any more similar weather. Mornings have been great all week, unlike the homeward grind. Winds are much lighter this evening though according to the weather app. :)
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Speedy ride in this morning on the nice bike, which I resorted to a) because the roads were bone dry and b) because my usual commuter has developed a clunk when at max wattage. Typical bike noise, hard to lock down where it is coming from.

Last day in the office until 1st April, have taken the decision to encourage everyone to WFH (haven't mandated it but it is "highly recommended"). Will have to pop in a few training rides during the weekdays to keep mileage up, can't drift behind my yearly target now.......
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,254
    Commuting on Zwift today
  • mpdouglas
    mpdouglas Posts: 220
    It's a small world! There's me, doing my daily read of the Times quick cryptic crossword blog to check all my logic from the day before, and I find one of the posters commenting on his tough ride home into the wind!! It was none other than "hopkinb"! Who'd have thunk it?!
    "The Flying Scot"
    Commute - Boardman CXR 9.4 Di2
    Sunday Best - Canyon Ultimate SLX Disc w/ DuraAce Di2
  • hopkinb
    mpdouglas said:

It's a small world! There's me, doing my daily read of the Times quick cryptic crossword blog to check all my logic from the day before, and I find one of the posters commenting on his tough ride home into the wind!! It was none other than "hopkinb"! Who'd have thunk it?!

:#

That's me, don't tell anyone. Oh. Dammit. :D

I do like a cryptic crossword.
  • mpdouglas
    mpdouglas Posts: 220
    Me too. It’s my daily bit of mental wellbeing. Times Quick Cryptic plus whatever I can achieve on the full 15x15.
    "The Flying Scot"
    Commute - Boardman CXR 9.4 Di2
    Sunday Best - Canyon Ultimate SLX Disc w/ DuraAce Di2
  • itboffin
    Okay London peeps recommendations for eating around Richmond park for the family, Roebuck?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    The Ivy bar and grill on Richmond. Had a great time when I went.
  • itboffin
    That sounds familiar but now I’m a total bumpkin mind mind is mush all I can think about is beer burger and .....
  • itboffin
    Ah yes I know that place, have visited but hugely hungover

A few times
  • inbike
    inbike Posts: 264
    edited March 2020

Last day in the office until 1st April, have taken the decision to encourage everyone to WFH (haven't mandated it but it is "highly recommended").

Have done the same but they keep going in anyway, despite the fact that they mostly take the train or bus. Madness!

I was hoping they'd all work from home and I could carry on going into a lovely empty office, with its two key attractions:

- I get to cycle there, and
    - There aren't any small children in it.
  • parmos
    parmos Posts: 100
    currently working away but had a few days at home last week so took hybrid home with me came back this Wednesday brought MTB instead and forgot to put my helmet in arghhhhhhhhhhhhh so thought sack it not buying another as i've got three at home anyways but i've succumbed and another one will be here on Tuesday
  • silverstreak
    silverstreak Posts: 49
    edited March 2020
    Not sure what I’ll do if told to work from home. Cycle/run madly round the park for a few hours and log in from a cafe (if they’re still open). Being cooped up at home 24 hours a day for days on end does not appeal at all.
  • kingstongraham
    We're told to work from home now if we can. So no commuting for me for the foreseeable.
  • itboffin
    Does anyone know how ERG vs slope modes differ, surely both are designed to increase resistance to hit the target, is all down to rider weight?
  • kingstongraham
    Erg is designed to keep you at a specified power, so if you slow your cadence, resistance automatically increases. Slope mode is just a set resistance mimicking a gradient. So if you change down, or slow pedalling, you just put out less power.
  • azzurri78
    azzurri78 Posts: 104
    No commuting for me for the next two weeks at least.

To keep me sane think I will be doing occasional early morning RP laps if anyone fancies doing the same
  • martinc
    martinc Posts: 422
    Still at work.. blitz spirit or something. Lovely sunny ride in though.
    Always in stealth mode
  • Still commuting, later than usual given the sh1tshow of the Dorris trying to leave the house then a Robin flew in & cue pandemonium with 3 yr old in tears as she wanted to see the birdie. Seemed busy, top sunshine & bumped into that mug on a £3k Swerks with his dork disc on so stretched the legs.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • hopkinb
    They've shut the gym and therefore showers in my building. Hence SCR cancelled in favour of a sedate spin in to minimise sweatiness. Seemed to work OK, but it was quite brisk this morning. Will batter it home as per usual. Hopefully bosses will see sense soon and I can just do early laps as a stand-in commute as per azzurri above.
  • ^ Up for this if it happens.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    Was busier than expected, think alot of people are dusting down their bikes in favour of the tube. Trying to keep a normal routine going but when that comes to an end early laps of RP sounds like a great idea.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I'm WFH until further notice. Toyed with a couple of early morning RP laps, but decided to start work early and go for a couple of laps at lunchtime when it should be a bit warmer.
    Pannier, 120rpm.