Silly commuting racing

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440

asprilla said:

asprilla said:

Bit fresh out this morning, but nice and sunny. Shame that seems to have gone out the window. No competition on my route for the last week or so. Brief glimpse of CJ and someone else this morning but as I was chatting to the scouse roofers of Kingston I couldn't see properly for the large blue van between us.
    I'm not sure how the Kingston bridge reworking is going to be, it was ok before so I'm unconvinced it will be an improvement. I guess they are trying to link the new foot/cycle bridge over the underpass to the river, hopefully it will work out as something useable. Having seen the state of the paths over the hill I have my doubts.

My concern is that it's designed solely for getting into Kingston town centre or the station rather than people for whom Kingston is just a speed bump on the way to somewhere else.
    It's as I suspected. They've moved the cones so I could get a better look.

Direct access to the carriageway has been blocked so the segregated lane eastbound is now only useful if you want to cross over the road, go through the bus station and then cross back over the road 100m further on. So that's a 300m diversion with four sets of lights. Nice.

I liked that cycle track, it meant you weren't hold up traffic coming up the bridge.
    What's stopping you joining the traffic under the tunnel from the crossing ?
    Nothing really. Just it's a bit of a chicane and you may have to negotiate those waiting at the crossing. Absolutely a first world problem but the old design was fine.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • asprilla said:

asprilla said:

asprilla said:

Bit fresh out this morning, but nice and sunny. Shame that seems to have gone out the window. No competition on my route for the last week or so. Brief glimpse of CJ and someone else this morning but as I was chatting to the scouse roofers of Kingston I couldn't see properly for the large blue van between us.
    I'm not sure how the Kingston bridge reworking is going to be, it was ok before so I'm unconvinced it will be an improvement. I guess they are trying to link the new foot/cycle bridge over the underpass to the river, hopefully it will work out as something useable. Having seen the state of the paths over the hill I have my doubts.

My concern is that it's designed solely for getting into Kingston town centre or the station rather than people for whom Kingston is just a speed bump on the way to somewhere else.

Direct access to the carriageway has been blocked so the segregated lane eastbound is now only useful if you want to cross over the road, go through the bus station and then cross back over the road 100m further on. So that's a 300m diversion with four sets of lights. Nice.

I liked that cycle track, it meant you weren't hold up traffic coming up the bridge.
    Nothing really. Just it's a bit of a chicane and you may have to negotiate those waiting at the crossing. Absolutely a first world problem but the old design was fine.
    Yes, I understand it's a downgrade for no reason, was just wondering if it is really a 300m detour and four sets of lights or a 2m detour and a wait for the crossing when you actually don't want to cross.
  • stn5
    stn5 Posts: 44
    edited November 2019
    asprilla said:

Were you really holding up traffic considering there's a whole second lane the drivers can use?

I don't ride it at commute times but I've been beeped a few times on weekends by driver seemingly oblivious to the lane next to them. I chose not to use the cycle lane because it's full of wandering pedestrians more focused on taking photos of the river.
  • asprilla
    stn5 said:

asprilla said:

Were you really holding up traffic considering there's a whole second lane the drivers can use?

I don't ride it at commute times but I've been beeped a few times on weekends by driver seemingly oblivious to the lane next to them. I chose not to use the cycle lane because it's full of wandering pedestrians more focused on taking photos of the river.
    It's quite busy in a morning. Both lanes of traffic coming from Hampton Court tend to turn right over the bridge (those aiming for Teddington go via Bushy Park), as does most of the traffic in both lanes from Hampton Wick. At the moment, I'm coming over at around 7 so it's not that bad, and most drivers know one lane is closed.

I've always preferred using the cycle lane in both directions to the road. It's safer eastbound and it's quicker westbound (even with the detour via Clarence St).
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Have also preferred using the cycle lane over the bridge since we started riding with the kids down to Hampton Court or to Bushy Park, particularly westbound, where the ironworks in the road on the approach to Hampton Wick roundabout are pretty unpleasant, especially if you're braking.

Have been wondering what they're doing, and hopefully there'll be more space or a change to the timing of the lights if you're crossing over to the bus station / town area.

I understand that they're also looking at bike lane upgrades towards Hampton Court, and Broom Road in Hampton Wick/Teddington.

At the end of the day, though, they need to combine this with measures to reduce the volume of motorised traffic through Kingston, but this requires working with TFL. However, it doesn't send a great message when you have the likes of Zac Goldsmith arguing for a temporary bridge to relieve the congestion (caused by... the.... number... of... cars etc, not a bridge closure) rather than encourage people to get out of their cars and into alternative means of transport. And he's the Environment Minister.

We're screwed.

Anyway, morning, all! :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Yep, god forbid anyone suggests we actually try to reduce car use.

Annoying ride in with a poundshop rapha douchebag on his new Canyon, keen to press on but his dork disk still being on showed he'd be there for the taking. Sadly, greasy wet roads and crap traffic meant there was never a sniff of a chance to really put the hammer down.

Else i'm still annoyed about not going apoplectic at the WVM driver who almost his me last night.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • asprilla
    edited November 2019
    Westbound is great because you avoid the roundabout and get to take that little chute just before the crossing. If they get rid of that chute I will cry.

Would be nice to make the westbound lane to Hampton Court wider and segregated; the number of cars that pull into it without checking their mirrors or indicating when they decide to do a u-turn because they don't want to queue to Hampton Court Bridge is horrific.

In other news, where was the frickin' rain? I didn't dress up like a frogman for no reason.

I need to sort out some kit storage in the utility room because currently I have to get it out of the wardrobe the night before so as not to wake the Mrs at 5:30. Consequently, if the weather changes I'm stuck with whatever I planned 8 hours previously.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Yeah, I was fully anticipating getting wet. Normally the weather gods love hitting me with a huge downpour 5 minutes after I've left home.
  • Encountered an ever so serious SCR type this morning, all grimace and elbows and eyeballs out who latched on to my wheel. Waved him through and got a shower of roadshite for my troubles as he pulled in 6 inches in front of me without mudguards. Thanked him for the shower later down the road and got a perplexed i never do anything wrong look.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252

asprilla said:

asprilla said:

I think rather than being able to merge with the traffic at matching speeds you will now have to slow down and manoeuvre round something. Just a bit of a pain in the aris'.
  • veronese68

asprilla said:

asprilla said:

I think rather than being able to merge with the traffic at matching speeds you will now have to slow down and manoeuvre round something. Just a bit of a pain in the aris'.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    edited November 2019
    Got winged by a Luton type van last night, who decided to turn left on a whim while slowing for traffic at the lights approaching Clapham Common. I was accelerating up his inside (on the blue paint), half thinking that he might pull a d!ck move like turn left across the cycle lane without indicating, and so I wanted to be clear of him. Good job I was, and that I'm as "solid" as I am, as all I got was a whack on the upper arm from the wing mirror when he stuck his indicator on and turned left at the same time just as I was alongside the passenger side window. The glancing impact made him stop at least, and consider the remainder of the stream of cyclists using the cycle lane. As I had been accelerating, I was well clear as he stopped, so there was no point turning round. Must have looked worse than it was, as 2 people asked if I was OK.

I'm normally very careful, and if someone is indicating left, even to cross the cycle lane, I hang back and let them go, I also hang back if someone is slowing for what looks like no reason, as they're often about to do something dim.

However, no indication, red light and a line stationary traffic ahead to explain his slowing down, clear cycle lane ahead of me. You can't hang back all the bl00dy time, you'd never get anywhere.

Oh well, I got away with it. :#

• Lucky escape but I am with you on the hanging back, you can't believe that everyone in the right hand lane isn't going to do something stupid all the time. Good you held up. In my WVM encounter last night, the driver fully knew what he was doing and that he would almost hit me (relying on me to drop the anchors) really boils my piss.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Saw a chap this morning with 3 kids on his bike. 1 ion the bars in a proper bike seat and 2 appeared to be just sitting on the rear rack (could have been a carrier, not sure).

It was an e-bike though which should have helped with the weight.

Any, what's the FCN for this?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    edited November 2019
    cjcp said:

Have also preferred using the cycle lane over the bridge ...

I almost never use the bike lanes in either direction. On the way into Kingston, it's far too narrow and that small lip is a hazard. If there's someone coming in the opposite direction, you both have to stop.
    I had a close look this morning, and yes they've built a raised kerb where the "blend-in to traffic" section used to be, forcing you to turn right 90 degs, stop dead and turn left 90 degs, as though people cycling never go more than 5mph.
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • asprilla
    rower63 said:

cjcp said:

Have also preferred using the cycle lane over the bridge ...

I almost never use the bike lanes in either direction. On the way into Kingston, it's far too narrow and that small lip is a hazard. If there's someone coming in the opposite direction, you both have to stop.
    I had a close look this morning, and yes they've built a raised kerb where the "blend-in to traffic" section used to be, forcing you to turn right 90 degs, stop dead and turn left 90 degs, as though people cycling never go more than 5mph.
    I asked the question of the Go Cycle team and this is the plan they sent back:

It doesn't show the raised kerb. I've scribbled on it and sent it back so we'll see what their response is.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • veronese68

asprilla said:

asprilla said:

WTF? I wrote that yesterday. I read Asprilla's response to KG and thought maybe I hadn't posted after all.
  • asprilla

asprilla said:

asprilla said:

WTF? I wrote that yesterday. I read Asprilla's response to KG and thought maybe I hadn't posted after all.
    Maybe you are being moderated.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • asprilla
    Go Cycle Kingston emailed me back yesterday (I assume someone who doesn't normally go to site took a stroll to Kingston Bridge on a Sunday to see what I was talking about). Upshot is that what has been built isn't what was designed.

However, given that today is supposed to be the last day of roadworks in Kingston before the Xmas moratorium and they have finished I'm willing to put money on the designs being adjusted to fit the build rather than the other way round.

Also see there are temp traffic lights on NKR this morning. Was blocking traffic in both directions it the lights just providing a bit of colour to the scene. If that's there all week then it should prove interesting.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Was so nearly wiped out this morning, just before entering RP. Woman in a Mini turned right out of Liverpool Road and in doing so drove straight at me - I managed to get within an inch of the kerb and finally she saw me and stopped about 2 inches before hitting my right leg. Her response to me yelling "And what the f*** are you doing?" I got the classic "I didn't see you" response......

Hopefully the shock of being yelled at will make her think twice next time.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    That's good news although unclear what changes will be made. Someone called Friends of Kingston gate* is Tweeting about the various rat runs outside of but adjoining the park

*I suspect that's not his/her real name
    FCN = 4
  • mtb-idle said:

That's good news although unclear what changes will be made. Someone called Friends of Kingston gate* is Tweeting about the various rat runs outside of but adjoining the park

Pretty much every road in that area should be blocked off at one end or the other. I lived around there for 8 months this year and the traffic that goes down those streets doesn't need to be there.
  • And I go down Kings Road every day. It's not normally as bad as that, but it's pretty much always got stationary traffic, and people acting like idiots.
  • veronese68
    Had someone drive at me head on this evening, I was riding along a road and they swerved at me. Considering I was going the right way along a one way street I was a little miffed. I almost certainly could have caught them in the traffic on the one way but I thought better of it as I think I would have struggled to remain calm. Reported it for what it’s worth.
  • cjcp

Had someone drive at me head on this evening, I was riding along a road and they swerved at me. Considering I was going the right way along a one way street I was a little miffed. I almost certainly could have caught them in the traffic on the one way but I thought better of it as I think I would have struggled to remain calm. Reported it for what it’s worth.

EH?! Where was this?!

FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    asprilla said:

Go Cycle Kingston emailed me back yesterday (I assume someone who doesn't normally go to site took a stroll to Kingston Bridge on a Sunday to see what I was talking about). Upshot is that what has been built isn't what was designed.

However, given that today is supposed to be the last day of roadworks in Kingston before the Xmas moratorium and they have finished I'm willing to put money on the designs being adjusted to fit the build rather than the other way round.

Also see there are temp traffic lights on NKR this morning. Was blocking traffic in both directions it the lights just providing a bit of colour to the scene. If that's there all week then it should prove interesting.

The bit about Kingston Bridge doesn't surprise me. But I can't wait to see what's planned alongside this to get people out of their cars. Oh, wait, I suspect nothing.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp

mtb-idle said:

Pretty much every road in that area should be blocked off at one end or the other. I lived around there for 8 months this year and the traffic that goes down those streets doesn't need to be there.
    The cut-through traffic down Liverpool Road and into King's Road or New Road is ridiculous, and people are content to sit in it every weekday.

I don't think it helps matters that routing services on Google Maps etc seem to direct even largest vehicles off Kingston Hill, down Crescent Road, into Liverpool Road, and then down King's Road.

Possible restrictions or closures have, somewhat unpredictably, provoked some unfavourable reactions from The I Must Drive Everywhere, All The Time community. Somehow, they will cause gridlock. Forgive me, but I thought it was already gridlocked.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Started the new commute to Canary Wharf yesterday.

Initial thoughts are that CS3 is a bit sketchy in parts. It was a bit better coming home; I don't know whether that was due to people trying to overtake less because they could see less in the dark, but it's a nice cool-down or warm-up, as mentioned above (page doesn't scroll up far enough for me to acknowledge who was spot on on that, sorry :) ).

Took between 12-15 mins more each way.

I shouldn't use this as a reason to eat more pastries.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp

cjcp wrote:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Walton and Chertsey Bridges offer quite enough excitement for me; no way I'm riding over/under any of the under/overpasses mentioned above!

I think I used the Limehouse Tunnel when I last rode out that way, back in 2010 or so.

I think I'll start with the bike lane, but I can't see myself liking it much.

Cheers, all.

I use the bike lane. If you can hit it early - before 8am at the very least it's not so bad. When busy you need to go with the flow, slow down and not do anything stupid (there are others that will do that). Use it as a warm up or chill out zone, there'll be other places you can put the hammer down ;)

Found 'em :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."