Silly commuting racing

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    njee20 said:

Could almost tempt me back south of the river that - the bit through Cheam etc was always awful!

Saw a guy this morning on through RP/Priory Lane head to toe in Wiggins/Le Col kit, who I'm guessing had a prosthetic leg, judging by the skinny calf and very unnatural angle of the foot in the shoe, he had good pace though! I certainly wasn't competing in my vastly unfit and overweight state!

If it's the fella I'm thinking of, he's got some serious speed. I spoke to him briefly through the middle of RP earlier this year, and he mentioned he'd done some touring in Europe.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    ... in fact I've just sent them this email:

"Someone is going to get killed riding in to Kingston over Kingston Bridge with the new cycle lane arrangements.

The old “blend-in” gap being replaced by a kerb is a horrifying accident just waiting to happen.

The new kerb will simply flip them over into any traffic that might be there. They won’t notice the kerb because they’ll be looking over their right shoulder to check for traffic behind on the main carriageway.

There is nothing to warn anyone entering the cycle lane from Hampton Wick that anything’s changed: a cyclist using it for the first time in, say, a month, will see exactly the same entrance ramp as before the new works, and will see exactly the same lane until the last moment when they try to blend back into the traffic just before the underpass.

I just hope it hasn’t happened even as soon as I write this email…
    "
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,546
    Thanks @mtb-idle - I was trying to plan a route using google maps but the new housing estate was mid construction when the satelite & streetviews were last updated so it was tricky working out the route.

And yes, I really should have tried this out when I was commuting in daylight...

• Was this at the traffic light T junction, I came off there a year or two ago on slippery gritted roads, horrible junction, bike just went from under me.

Yeah the very same. He said that the bike just went from under him too. I'm always super cautious through there but even that may not be enough!
  • mtb-idle said:

sorry to hear that mate. I always use the alternative route to NKR for that very reason.

Turn off Embankment earlier just after that zebra crossing and then head down towards Lots road and then left through Chelsea Harbour. Check out my Strava for last night (Wednesday) for the route. I can ping you a GPX if it helps.

Brings you out by that cafe under the bridge where me, you, Cas & Greg had a coffee back in sunnier times.

Thanks! I did try it once as I remember you telling me about it on that ride. I got one puncture just past the building site then mega traffic all the way to Putney which put me off slightly. I think i'll revisit it tonight though!
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    the traffic has got busier around there since Hammersmith bridge closed but strangely last night it was empty all the way like it used to be.
    FCN = 4
  • cjcp
    rower63 said:

asprilla said:

So, I've spoken to Kingston Go Cycle about Horse Fair. Apparently TFL demanded the changes at the last minute as they felt the design that let cyclists back into the carriageway was unsafe. Go Cycle actually agree with me that the original design was better and safer but as TFL are the project sponsor it's their decision.

Anyway, Go Cycle are going back to TFL with counter arguments but it's going to be January at the earliest before that can happen.

I can see someone getting killed with the current design. You just need someone to not notice it's changed, try using that little exit way not clocking the new low-contrast kerb, and they'll simply flip over into the traffic...
    So there's a curb across the section which allowed you to merge with traffic?

FML.

Won't be riding that with the kids, then.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    To be honest, I thought the old design was a nightmare too. It is ok for the likes of us that ride a lot, are well in control of a bike, and used to blending in and out of traffic, but the casual non-SCR afficionado doesn't tend to have a clue how to seamlessly blend into traffic and the old design didn't really help them to do that.

Not saying the new design is any better, it clearly isn't, but both have a high propensity to put a casual cyclist under the wheels of a truck
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    mtb-idle said:

what happened to you man, you used to be a racing snake?

(I think we rode MTB together in an STW group once many years ago in the Surrey hills)

Indeed we did! Life happened, sadly! Lost interest in racing and drifted away from it, job in London didn't help, got married, had a son, all the usual stuff! Still try and keep my hand in, but carrying at least 10kg 'timber' these days!

FWIW I often go the non-NKR way too, left onto Lots Road as you turn away from the river, then left through Imperial Wharf, and then just across all the junctions until you pop out on Hurlingham Road by the lights before Putney Bridge. It's definitely further than NKR - but at this time of year there are so many people crossing NKR or diving into side roads (or opening van doors) that it's probably better. Can be really busy between Imperial Wharf and Wandsworth Bridge Road, but generally alright. Think I'll go that way later in fact! Watch out for slightly tubby guy in green Vulpine softshell on stealthy Chinese carbon bike, puffing at every stop!
  • mtb-idle
    yup. that's my route too. recently refined by turning left after the park and shortly before the tube bridge which helps me avoid the lights at the end of the NKR and pop out the side road where the buses join Putney bridge
    FCN = 4
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    edited November 2019
    Ooo, top tip, will do that, those lights are a pain!
    cjcp said:

If it's the fella I'm thinking of, he's got some serious speed. I spoke to him briefly through the middle of RP earlier this year, and he mentioned he'd done some touring in Europe.

He was on something old and steel I think, certainly had one of those old school sculpted seat posts. He certainly went well. Wasn't that good at clipping in though! Turned left towards Barns.
  • mtb-idle
    edited November 2019
    yip, as you are heading along Hurlingham Road turn left into Napier Avenue (helpfully pointed out by the blue cycle signpost pointing down there), to the end, right turn and you end up riding under the tube line where its blocked to cars but open for foot/bike.
    FCN = 4
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440

To be honest, I thought the old design was a nightmare too. It is ok for the likes of us that ride a lot, are well in control of a bike, and used to blending in and out of traffic, but the casual non-SCR afficionado doesn't tend to have a clue how to seamlessly blend into traffic and the old design didn't really help them to do that.

Not saying the new design is any better, it clearly isn't, but both have a high propensity to put a casual cyclist under the wheels of a truck

Or you could do what the fella I followed this morning did and just continue down the footpath to Vicarage Road without shedding any speed and then launch yourself into the road at that point.

I was impressed by his lack of care for himself or anyone else. Nihlist cyclists are the worst.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • mtb-idle said:

Pair of eventful commutes. Last night nearly got doored by some guy in a Van as I was riding down the bike lane on NKR towards Putney bridge. Lucky my spidey senses and reactions were up to scratch. If the van had been half a foot more to the left I wouldn't like to think what would have happened.
    snip...

sorry to hear that mate. I always use the alternative route to NKR for that very reason.

Turn off Embankment earlier just after that zebra crossing and then head down towards Lots road and then left through Chelsea Harbour. Check out my Strava for last night (Wednesday) for the route. I can ping you a GPX if it helps.

Brings you out by that cafe under the bridge where me, you, Cas & Greg had a coffee back in sunnier times.

That’s what I’ve done (not stopped at the cafe though been temped!) but cut out NKR as it’s just frankly horrible, for the last few years as and when I come into central.

As aside I had someone attempt to race me between the Heathrow Villages, a guy on a unloaded hybrid in Lycra overtook on the nice flat quiet (ish) road didn’t think much about it, after all my bike weights a ton, it’s a old MTB with panniers and such. But slowly but surely he was coming back to me, I caught him as we climbed the M4 spur bridge he did get out of the saddle at this point etc, but at that point I was riding the torque wave, so a vain effort though bonus points for attempting.

I was A) amused see photo I’m hardly the target for SCR

B) did feel a bit guilty as I do a fair bit of miles, am a Club cyclist etc. So I suspect he rather misjudged it, my speed barely altered, steady 15 ish MPH

• rower63
    ... when I went past this morning that cycle lane is closed again and the errant section all bollarded off and it looks as though more work is about to commence. Perhaps we activists have had an effect...
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
  • asprilla
    rower63 said:

... when I went past this morning that cycle lane is closed again and the errant section all bollarded off and it looks as though more work is about to commence. Perhaps we activists have had an effect...

My mate who live round the corner is one of TFLs programme managers for surface transport. He's going to find out who is covering this from a TFL perspective and get me their details.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Hopefully only a short cold given my nose is streaming but near zero energy on the latter half of the ride. Roll on home time.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • cjcp
    njee20 said:

Ooo, top tip, will do that, those lights are a pain!

cjcp said:

He was on something old and steel I think, certainly had one of those old school sculpted seat posts. He certainly went well. Wasn't that good at clipping in though! Turned left towards Barns.
    Yep, that's the fella.

As for the route via Imperial Wharf and Wandsworth Bridge, the pinch-points near the Hurlingham and the 90° turns have always put me off in the winter/when it's dark, but I like the section before that.

Not that the NKR is a thing of beauty to ride along, mind.

Might try it again next week given the current state of traffic along the NKR.

We're truly spoilt for choice in that part of town, aren't we...?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • kingstonian
    Yeah, I might try that route too, the closer you get to Putney Bridge along NKR is shocking at the moment.
  • asprilla
    I've found NKR ok recently, but then I've only recently returned to it after a while away.

The Lots Rd lights are a total fudgecluster but I find the temporary lights at Parsons Green are completely blocking traffic and so you get a free run from there to The Temperance. I've found I've also been able to put the hammer down (toffee variety) along Eel Brook Common.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • cjcp said:

As for the route via Imperial Wharf and Wandsworth Bridge, the pinch-points near the Hurlingham and the 90° turns have always put me off in the winter/when it's dark, but I like the section before that.

Did the detour last night. Much more pleasant than NKR and you can keep up a decent speed more or less all the way around to Putney Bridge. Going to test it going the other way next week. Yeah the variety of routes in general going west is great!
  • kingstonian
    asprilla said:

I've found NKR ok recently, but then I've only recently returned to it after a while away.

The Lots Rd lights are a total fudgecluster but I find the temporary lights at Parsons Green are completely blocking traffic and so you get a free run from there to The Temperance. I've found I've also been able to put the hammer down (toffee variety) along Eel Brook Common.

I find it massively depends on the time I'm going through there. Anything before 7pm tends to be rammed with traffic, after 7.30pm can be completely clear. It has definitely gotten much worse in recent months since Hammersmith Bridge was closed.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    South of that river guys. Go to Clapham common on CS7. Turn right, drop down into wandsworth, choose either of two routes to Putney, one will take you alongside the river and on to LRR, the other past East Putney onto URR . One of these days we should arrange a "race" from Southwark bridge to Roehampton gate. Loser buys the muffins at the cafe.
  • https://road.cc/content/news/268991-live-blog-cyclist-nearly-knocked-shocking-punishment-pass-another-cyclist

Perhaps its my low opinion of standards but I think this is pretty standard stuff for choppers in London. Also briefly featuring Rower right at the end!
  • rower63
    edited November 2019
    trying to work out when that was, I seem to be wearing leggings that I almost never wear

I also had to do a bit of last-minute course-correction to avoid a guy descending Broomfield whom I was rapidly catching. As I approached the right-hander at the bottom at 33mph, about to pass him, he decided to cut the corner racing-style in full tuck and suddenly swerved across taking the whole road, brushing the apex in the opposite lane. Had I committed to passing him, I would've been forced into the grass. I left him to his own devices on the other side of the road and cruised past on his left.
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
  • mtb-idle
    edited November 2019

https://road.cc/content/news/268991-live-blog-cyclist-nearly-knocked-shocking-punishment-pass-another-cyclist

Perhaps its my low opinion of standards but I think this is pretty standard stuff for choppers in London. Also briefly featuring Rower right at the end!

yeah, pretty standard TBH but matey boy in red broke life's rule number 1/ Don't be a d i c k*.

Fair enough for the others to call him out about it.

Yup, I spotted @rower63 's errr...helmet at the end too. :*

*C'mon bikeradar forum, 'dick' is a swearword now is it?
    FCN = 4
  • mtb-idle

cjcp said:

Did the detour last night. Much more pleasant than NKR and you can keep up a decent speed more or less all the way around to Putney Bridge. Going to test it going the other way next week. Yeah the variety of routes in general going west is great!
    Glad you enjoyed it. Traffic can be a bit hit and miss along there but in general is far better than NKR
    FCN = 4
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    edited November 2019
    Almost door to door SCR with someone today - poor sod got a slow puncture half way along, but didn't want to stop and fix it as was running late.

despite this, they kept me fairly honest, which considering I was in full lyrca mode, and they were in jeans, jumper and waterproof jacket put me to shame!
    (I'd like to say I wasn't trying "much", but that's probably not true)

Strava says it was my third fastest time since I started this commute - well, it definitely didn't feel that fast!
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • cjcp

asprilla said:

I find it massively depends on the time I'm going through there. Anything before 7pm tends to be rammed with traffic, after 7.30pm can be completely clear. It has definitely gotten much worse in recent months since Hammersmith Bridge was closed.
    Completely forgot to turn left down Lots Rd tonight; force of habit took me straight on. Will try again tomorrow, but the NKR was ok by NKR standards.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    hopkinb said:

South of that river guys. Go to Clapham common on CS7. Turn right, drop down into wandsworth, choose either of two routes to Putney, one will take you alongside the river and on to LRR, the other past East Putney onto URR . One of these days we should arrange a "race" from Southwark bridge to Roehampton gate. Loser buys the muffins at the cafe.

Can't. Just... can't... go... south.

I used to take the river route and wiggle onto the LRR when Putney Bridge was closed a few years ago. And then used to do the URR route when I first started commuting from SW, but via Armoury Way rather than Clapham.

I think I'd come out in hives if I tried going through Clapham again.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."