Silly commuting racing

Comments

• MTB-Idle wrote:
    Norks74 wrote:

Weirdly, my track pump just gave up this week on the presta valve nozzle...but the big holed one for the kids bike is fine. What happened, is there an easy fix? No air is blowing out of that hole.

Or am I like you needing to buy a new one?

It will just be the 'rubber' (in reality a piece of plastic). depending on the brand you can get a service kit. Just unscrew the head, pop out the existing rubber and replace.

Alternatively you can get a whole new head that you just connect to the tube although a good quality hozeclip is a must to prevent it coming apart when under pressure.

Handy tips! Thank you.
  • MTB-Idle wrote:
    Anyone on here rocking the full Wyndy Milla team kit on CS7 heading south last night?

He (you?) looked like a player of the game and was much faster than me but I was able to give him a few challenges as I was generally quicker pulling away from the lights allowing him to chase then overtake me.

Thanks for the tow along Balham High road, I thanked you at the lights and you laughed.

Hang on..are you the chap that I thanked last night for the hand signal warning when that red car did its reverse parking thing on Balham High Street? Heading to Epsom? I was also attempting to follow the Wyndy Milla fellow best I could.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Yes, it was me. Did you have a scottish(?) accent? I must dig through my footage again from last night and pick an embarrassing, I mean good shot of you to post up... :evil: :lol:
    FCN = 4
  • MTB-Idle wrote:
    Yes, it was me. Did you have a scottish(?) accent? I must dig through my footage again from last night and pick an embarrassing, I mean good shot of you to post up... :evil: :lol:

Scottish, aye, that'll be me. Ha ha ha, not so sure there would be such a thing as a good shot where I am concerned.
  • Had a little bit of rural riding SCR yesterday evening - I was aware of a rider about 100m behind me as I joined another road in semi-pootle mode, and thought nothing off it, as there are a number of real pootlers in the area at the moment.

About 25 seconds later they overtook at speed, knocking me out of my problem solving, mindful, thought process, and into chase mode, caught up after a few seconds, and then held on to their wheel for a number of sprints over about 3.5km through lovely slightly undulating , winding roads; they'd pull away slightly at climbs and I'd catch the on the downhills , but due to poor visbility at bends etc never quite felt comfortable enough to pass them when my higher speed made it viable.

Slightly neutralised at one point by horses ahead; he moved fully over to give them as much space as he could, but didn't slow as much as I'd like, and I could see the horses hadn't detected us yet, so opportunistic use of my bell and a slight slow down by myself to keep comfortable had to be regained.

Eventually, I'd dropped in behind them approaching a T-junction, not knowing if they were travelling left or right, and didn't want to clash - for them to turn in the same direction I was going to do so, however they got ahead of a stream of traffic, and I got stuck unable to enter because of it.

Actually continued on the same route for the next 3km, could occasionally see them in the distance, but a large uphill stint just after the T-junction meant it was unrecoverable.

4 PB's, 1 on a section of road I've ridden over 500 times, beating my previous best time by 4 seconds, and my best time this year by 14.

What amazed me was I felt I still had more to give, despite the PBs, which was nice.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • WFH today, had a lovely dentist appointment at lunchtime.

My dentist told me off for not flossing between my teeth, told me I should do it every day. My response was to say that my physio has told me I should stretch my hamstrings every day but I don't get around to that either.........she clearly didn't understand what I was talking about and looked at me like I was an absolute weirdo.....
  • mtb-idle
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    I must dig through my footage again from last night and pick an embarrassing, I mean good shot of you to post up... :evil: :lol:

The one they call Norks

I must remember not to shout this out if I see you again.

You're welcome...
    FCN = 4
  • A tad damp this morning. Did chuckle at the growing crowds because of the northern line closure. Clearly some had run back to the pits to grab a bike from the shed and not thought about clothing....lots of see throughness going on.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    A tad damp this morning. Did chuckle at the growing crowds because of the northern line closure. Clearly some had run back to the pits to grab a bike from the shed and not thought about clothing....lots of see throughness going on.

Should be the last rain we see for a while, provided I actually get round to fitting my mudguards as I plan to tonight.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    I'd forgotten that summer holiday is a blissful time for cycle commuting, and had got used to the relatively empty roads.

Dunno what it's called, but that school on Nightingale lane approaching Clapham South went back today, and the road was full of massive cars driven by tiny people with low to zero spatial awareness, and swarming with children in straw boaters (literally!) squawking at each other. New route required to avoid, there are certainly no straw boaters on Tooting High Street, so might revert to that.

Honking brakes provided punctuation to a chat about the impending chaos in the abfg household. Traffic and wet roads meant no real opportunity to open up.
  • hopkinb
    Asprilla wrote:
    A tad damp this morning. Did chuckle at the growing crowds because of the northern line closure. Clearly some had run back to the pits to grab a bike from the shed and not thought about clothing....lots of see throughness going on.

Should be the last rain we see for a while, provided I actually get round to fitting my mudguards as I plan to tonight.
    Good man - I looked for mine this morning, couldn't find them (probably under tons of bricks on my building site), so I was worried that might mean an uninterrupted deluge until November, hopefully you fitting your guards should cancel that out. :)
  • Happy in my full mudguard smugness (never removed for summer), heightened by riding past all the tube w4nkers stood at bus stops. Sadly pace was ok, but no stamina as shown by trying to keep up with Hopkins post Clapham.

To answer Hopkins, Burntwood, there have been thoughts of closing the road outside at school time but given the quantum of douchebags both in 4x4s and in the council, that'll never happen.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    question to everyone that uses a gopro in particular MTB-Idle what's the best way to reduce the file size of GoPro videos but keep the quality?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    itboffin wrote:
    question to everyone that uses a gopro in particular MTB-Idle what's the best way to reduce the file size of GoPro videos but keep the quality?
    Either ride faster, or (probably useful for you) pick a shorter route.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    TGOTB wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

:lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • MTB-Idle wrote:
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    I must dig through my footage again from last night and pick an embarrassing, I mean good shot of you to post up... :evil: :lol:

The one they call Norks

I must remember not to shout this out if I see you again.

You're welcome...

Ha ha, nice one chief.
  • mtb-idle
    itboffin wrote:

TBH I don't bother. My usual process is to download all videos shot off the GoPro and onto a 1 TB external drive. I then use the footage to do whatever e.g. grab a few screenshots or to edit one of my little feature films and then after a month or so I delete the original footage off the external hard drive as I don't need it anymore.

I've been shooting GoPro footage for almost ten years now so would require a mahoosive storage facility if I kept everything I ever shot.

In addition experience tells me that I rarely if ever go back and look at the original footage because frankly, it's boring. I only ever watch the edited highlights video I have created.

Obvs if I captured something like an accident that I wanted to keep I would keep that specific file but that's unlikely to cause storage issues.

You can also amend the GoPro settings to shoot lower quality footage in the first place but I find 1080HD is fine for me. I don't need 4k footage.
    FCN = 4
  • TGOTB wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

:shock: :lol::lol:
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • asprilla
    Came the closest I ever have been to being taken out by a deer today. On my way up from Robin Hood gate to Roehampton and there are three deer running parallel to me on the grass but in the opposite direction. The look a little spooked and two of them look a little young so I move right to give them plenty of room.

Of course, I failed to notice the fourth deer coming to join them from the right. Fortunately I managed to throw out some anchors and he changed direction at the last minute. He must have had some target fixation as I was the only thing on the road for 100m in either direction.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Chilly start today, arm warmers may well be required soon if this keeps up.

Fast lady on a De Rosa with a BMC musette over her shoulder between Downham and Lewisham this morning. I followed (and availed myself of the odd tow) up to Catford then, feeling guilty, led out on the stretch up to Lewisham. Given the size difference between us should hopefully have been an armchair ride for her, not that she needed it.

Met up with a pal at Lewisham for a pootle the rest of the way so no further action
  • Nice discussion between two fellow riders, the guy who had cut in on me didn't like being cut in on by the other guy.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • hopkinb
    Brrrr.

Went via Earlsfield, Battersea rise, alongside Clapham Common, and then quietway 5 via Waterloo, the cut & Tate Modern to southwark bridge. V nice route as it's quiet, but it's a bit slow.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    JFC... Priory Lane was rammed, the traffic along the Lower Richmond Road is back, Embankment isn't exactly quiet, roadworks on Cheyne Walk, along Millbank and whatever that fresh hell in Parliament Square is, and suicidal peds walking out into the segregated bike lane.

Really can't enjoy the commute at the moment.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Asprilla wrote:
    Came the closest I ever have been to being taken out by a deer today. On my way up from Robin Hood gate to Roehampton and there are three deer running parallel to me on the grass but in the opposite direction. The look a little spooked and two of them look a little young so I move right to give them plenty of room.

Of course, I failed to notice the fourth deer coming to join them from the right. Fortunately I managed to throw out some anchors and he changed direction at the last minute. He must have had some target fixation as I was the only thing on the road for 100m in either direction.

Yeah they were playing silly buggers all the way from Dark Hill to Roehampton Gate when I went through, including sauntering into the road on the decent from Broomfield. But id rather random deer than the close pass I got off a bus on Kingston Hill, I got about 6 inches room while he was doing at least 30. Scared the bejesus out of me. The idiot then nearly ploughed into a car at the Albert pub lights.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    Asprilla wrote:

Yeah they were playing silly buggers all the way from Dark Hill to Roehampton Gate when I went through, including sauntering into the road on the decent from Broomfield. But id rather random deer than the close pass I got off a bus on Kingston Hill, I got about 6 inches room while he was doing at least 30. Scared the bejesus out of me. The idiot then nearly ploughed into a car at the Albert pub lights.

Male deer? It's almost that time of the year...
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    cjcp wrote:
    Really can't enjoy the commute at the moment.
    I've started WFHing for an hour or so, and then leaving at 8.30ish; while the traffic's still not great, it's a lot better. Also gave me the opportunity to miss the rain yesterday morning :-)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • asprilla
    DrHaggis wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

I think it was a male, but it was all a bit quick to be honest. It was a Fallow so if I had come a cropper I wouldn't even have been able to claim it was a big one.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • DrHaggis wrote:

Yes, they are swaggering around at the moment. A group were just hanging around on the road on Broomfield hill last night.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Asprilla wrote:

someone last night wasn't quite as lucky last night (possibly deer related, though maybe not). looks like he misjudged the apex of the broomfield right hander and was in a right state. could see his chin had been scraped raw and had multiple contusions on his face. looked in a bad way. was going at a fair rate of knots over the rise before that and was in a bit of a rush.

the big old deer that resides near the base of broomfield was present.... that one that's the size of a small car. had a few deer related moments yesterday, and was reminded these 3-4 weeks are when more people get hit by deer in the park more than most. stay frosty folks.
  • cruff
    cruff Posts: 1,518
    philbar72 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

someone last night wasn't quite as lucky last night (possibly deer related, though maybe not). looks like he misjudged the apex of the broomfield right hander and was in a right state. could see his chin had been scraped raw and had multiple contusions on his face. looked in a bad way. was going at a fair rate of knots over the rise before that and was in a bit of a rush.

the big old deer that resides near the base of broomfield was present.... that one that's the size of a small car. had a few deer related moments yesterday, and was reminded these 3-4 weeks are when more people get hit by deer in the park more than most. stay frosty folks.
    That boy is truly magnificent. I think anyone who does Broomfield in either direction has a story about an encounter with him. I came through there once on the way in during rutting season (think it was late October, cos it was still not fully light). I was taking it relatively easy down Broomfield cos I was aware of the threat of random males getting aggressive - when I encountered this fella at the bottom of the last swooping bend, looming out of the mist like a f***ing rhino. He was stood a foot from the road, staring me out. Up until then I'd never really seen him from that close up - I absolutely sh*t meself as I slowed even more to pass him - on the other side of the road - and he snorted at me. What a specimen (and I'm not talking about what nearly ended up in my pants)
    Fat chopper. Some racing. Some testing. Some crashing.
    Specialising in Git Daaahns and Cafs. Norvern Munkey/Transplanted Laaandoner.