Silly commuting racing

Comments

• ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Bit windy out there, wasn't it? Not helped by the fact my recent fettling meant I couldn't get any lower than the 17-tooth sprocket. Runs smoothly, mind, but it's now in the bike shop having the rear mech hanger straightened and the gears re-indexed.
  • @Green Brompton

Always worth considering Twickenham CC as well :) - it isn't much further on from Sheen, slightly smaller ladies side although we do still race National Team Series, Surrey League, London Women's League, WLC TT, team time trials, track (although not sure when the next sessions will be) and even cyclocross (plus lots of other things). Small, friendly club (about 120 members) where everyone gets to know each other and we have nice flattering kit ;)

Ha, I did think Twickenham CC but thought it would be a tad too far for the evening rides etc... Can you tell I'm a little vain :?
    Why? Because I'm guaranteed a seat all the way in.

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS
  • @Green Brompton

Always worth considering Twickenham CC as well :) - it isn't much further on from Sheen, slightly smaller ladies side although we do still race National Team Series, Surrey League, London Women's League, WLC TT, team time trials, track (although not sure when the next sessions will be) and even cyclocross (plus lots of other things). Small, friendly club (about 120 members) where everyone gets to know each other and we have nice flattering kit ;)

Ha, I did think Twickenham CC but thought it would be a tad too far for the evening rides etc... Can you tell I'm a little vain :?

Ha ha - nice kit was something I was definitely thinking about when I joined a cycle club (I've had some hideous kit at other sports clubs)! It's not too bad to be honest, I go straight from work on a Tuesday night, you can leave your bag in the club room (although I take my valuables with me still) and then it's normally less than 25 minutes back to Putney afterwards (there is cake and tea after the ride, and the option of the pub as well so you aren't riding straight back unless you want to).
    Nice weather bike: Fondriest TF2 (white/ black)
    Training Bike: Giant Avail (white/ blue/ green)
    Track bikes: Planet X Franko Bianco (white) and 7VRN (white/ black)
    CX: Kinesis Pro6 (sick green)
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    The question is, will all the roads be reopened by home time, given todays march?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • @Green Brompton

Ha ha - nice kit was something I was definitely thinking about when I joined a cycle club (I've had some hideous kit at other sports clubs)! It's not too bad to be honest, I go straight from work on a Tuesday night, you can leave your bag in the club room (although I take my valuables with me still) and then it's normally less than 25 minutes back to Putney afterwards (there is cake and tea after the ride, and the option of the pub as well so you aren't riding straight back unless you want to).

It's certainly a priority :lol: ... I'm heading off to a Pearson's RP session next Thurs, and can see how I get on as I could be awful. I'll also keep an eye on your (non commuting) routes on Strava to see where you head and compare :-)

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    The question is, will all the roads be reopened by home time, given todays march?

Given the rozzers are marching this time, I doubt they'll be kettling themselves, so I expect it should be clear by then.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Millbank's now clear of protestors, but the coaches remain, presumably to pick them all up at home-time. Some of the roads off Horseferry Rd are still closed.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Just came back through and they were re-opening stuff as I was coming through. Sadly a bit too late, as I had to go over westminster bridge and back over vauxhall.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Please be gone. Please be gone... a detour is fine, but not this heavy-slow-traffic kind of one!

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    okgo wrote:
    Just came back through and they were re-opening stuff

Half day? ;)
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,054
    okgo wrote:

Half day? ;)

SL Handicap tonight... he's going to see if he can eat up some 4th cats... nomnomnom
  • mr_ribble
    Well done at the w/e @Keyser as well. Tough race by the looks of things
  • okgo
    Mr_Ribble wrote:
    okgo wrote:

Half day? ;)

SL Handicap tonight... he's going to see if he can eat up some 4th cats... nomnomnom

Ha, its hard work getting to these Surrey races, don't they know I work in LAAAAAANDAN? Its either take some holiday, or work from home, but seeing as I have a football tournament all day tomorrow I thought I shouldn't take the piss :P
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    okgo wrote:
    ... seeing as I have a football tournament all day tomorrow ...

Blasphemy.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • okgo
    Its tough being decent at everything, people want you in their team. :lol:
  • mr_ribble
    Not sure if they make cycle helmets in XXXL though :)
  • okgo
    If anyone would know it'd be you ;)
  • mr_ribble
    I've never claimed to be good at everything though. Just SCR. Which I am the bestest in the Universe...

Apart from last night when JZed did me like a kipper. And then I got overtaken by someguy on a mountain bike with fat nobblies on the NKR. And then, to rub it in, a lady who appeared wasn't shy at asking for a second portion in the work's canteen tried to have a go. A do have limits though... and just sat back and watched those wonderful Laws of Physics kick in, to regain the honour.
  • keyser__soze
    Mr_Ribble wrote:

Yeah, I tried to get there myself, either to marshal (Pearson were organizing) or to race if they had enough people, but got caught up at work then a combination of headwind, traffic and having to detour meant i got back home too late to contemplate driving out there :( Hope it went well.

Thanks Ribble, race at the weekend could've gone better, but wasn't prepared, was only planning on supporting the missus and team. I get spat out the back after the first lap, she goes toe-to-toe with world champs Sarah Storey and Lucy Garner for 8 of the 9 laps in her race. I'm claiming weather was worse for mine, plus I had a few more bacon butties in the morning than she had. :oops: Think I caught Ed F up at one point, only cos he dropped his chain, then he disappeared up the hill leaving our group of stragglers in his wake.
  • mr_ribble
    Mr_Ribble wrote:

Yeah, I tried to get there myself, either to marshal (Pearson were organizing) or to race if they had enough people, but got caught up at work then a combination of headwind, traffic and having to detour meant i got back home too late to contemplate driving out there :( Hope it went well.

Thanks Ribble, race at the weekend could've gone better, but wasn't prepared, was only planning on supporting the missus and team. I get spat out the back after the first lap, she goes toe-to-toe with world champs Sarah Storey and Lucy Garner for 8 of the 9 laps in her race. I'm claiming weather was worse for mine, plus I had a few more bacon butties in the morning than she had. :oops: Think I caught Ed F up at one point, only cos he dropped his chain, then he disappeared up the hill leaving our group of stragglers in his wake.

When I was up in the Ribble Valley in 2010 riding the Penldle Pedal / Predator, Sarah Storey was staying in the house next door. She was up there for the National Champs. Really nice lady, and her husband was also incredibley friendly. Think from memory his name was Barney and he pilot's tandems in the Paralympics

I thought Ed was a DNF too, and that you did more laps. If Ed DNF'ed it must have been proper shite weather..
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    So windy on the way home this evening that I actually went slower on the descent and flat than climbing :(

after my water bottle (bidon) was blown out of my hand I gave up engaged defeated mode and pootled home with my tail between my legs :cry:

This relentless wind and rain plus hard climbs twice a day had better pay off in the end. :evil:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • keyser__soze
    Yeah, he DNFed, tho can't blame him, had I not had the potential ribbing from the girls to face plus a bacon buttie and coffee waiting for me at the car park I'd have sprinted up that hill and straight to the catering van! Got caught just before the line on what should've been my penultimate lap by the breakaway winner, having struck out from my little group to stay away, bit embarrassing but it did mean I didn't have to do that hill one more time. Great circuit tho, will have to race there when I'm in decent condition.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    What the hell was that headwind for, absolutely punishing even with a dose of MTFU. According to my usually fairly accurate weather app it was 22 gusting to 48! :shock:

Bloody felt like it, managed to put in a good show along embankment and caught a reasonable pack of roadies idling along past the shell garage. Thought i'd earned a break having come from the wharf but the shame of drafting was too much. Found a smidge more in the legs and wound it up past them, had 2 from the mid pack jump on the wheel but they'd given up by the time we cleared the power station. That pretty much did it for me and I shoved off at a leisurely pace into the wind past the flower show expecting to be passed. Nothing, nobody, i was hardly moving and i still had clear air except...the bloke on the SS that was so close he probably could tell you how many moles i have on my left buttock. Gave him the nod to take the front, tried again, nope he's not going to help. :roll:

Not much else, dreadful traffic along NKR which gave some respite. Got destroyed by 2 roadies riding side by side up priory lane and could tell the tanks were empty. Got into the park heading for the ballet school and Bonked :cry: big time. Ashamed to say I dropped it onto the granny ring and crawled up the hill past the school, as if to rub it in a chap on a chromed SS stormed past out of the saddle (impressive legs!) may as well have walked to ham cross. Got home and ate everything in my fridge plus a bottle of chocolate milk. Early to bed.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Saw Mr Ribble heading the other way just taking the Victoria Street exit at PS as I was heading out towards the Wharf for a hockey match. Was still closed around 10.30 when I came back the other way.

Headwind was brutal, but managed to maintain some pace on, just keep on suffering! Someone was drafting me, but couldn't even hold my measly 20. White Fuji, orange jacket, green shorts.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Pootling along this morning enjoying the sun and my last embankment commute when I look over my shoulder and see Karlb storming up on me. Pootle aborted.

Had a crack at Millbank getting up to 34mph, was looking good until Millbank Tower when my legs gave up. Can see someone smashing that today.

EDIT: last night there was a chap on a red and black trek down at the crossing at LBR. Looked like he'd been hit by a car. Unmarked Police Range Rover on scene and few oher helpers so motored on.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    Still coughing up half my lungs on the way in, so was taking it easy. As a result, chelsea embankment was embarrassing.

On the other hand, not blowing hard & seeing stars everytime I get to the lights meant my filtering was top notch. That and the parliament square fiasco meant no-one actually got way from me.

Some guy on a pinerello and normal t-shirt & another roadie in blue decided to filter past a queue of roadies on the left hand side in the turn left lane on vicky embankment. They get half way along and the lights go green so everyone sets off - blue roadie has to stop since there's no room for him between the island and the roadies setting off - pinerello guy ends up stacking behind him since he doesn't want to take his feet out and doesn't realise he'll have to stop.

Nodders eh?
  • karlb
    karlb Posts: 42
    JZed wrote:
    Pootling along this morning enjoying the sun and my last embankment commute when I look over my shoulder and see Karlb storming up on me. Pootle aborted.

Had a crack at Millbank getting up to 34mph, was looking good until Millbank Tower when my legs gave up. Can see someone smashing that today.

Even though I was feeling better today, you're still much quicker. That said, I did touch 31mph on Millbank, and PRed the section before that (Chealsea Bridge to VB) while I was chasing you.

Do you find that turn off down Whitehall -> Horse Guards Ave is usually quicker? I was gaining once you got back onto embankment, but I got red at the temple lights .
  • karlb wrote:
    JZed wrote:

Do you find that turn off down Whitehall -> Horse Guards Ave is usually quicker? I was gaining once you got back onto embankment, but I got red at the temple lights .

I wouldn't think so... JZed's only a second in front of a girl on a Brompton on that segment according to Strava ;-)

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    Ran into TETM again last night, well I say that, As I hit Milbank S I saw you, and then you pulled in before the lights, thankfully! Didn't fancy a race into that Headwind :lol:

What a brilliant morning today though! Windy, but such nice weather, made me thankful I don't get the tube/train into work!
  • what was up with the traffic last night, left work at 4 and i think every a hole driver and pedestrian decided to come out, only gone 20 yards from work when a clark coach decided that he would try and take me out at PS, then embankment was chokka charlie!, just goto past the tower hill lights filtering through traffic luckily going slowly when a chap appears in front of me behind a bus stuck in traffic, luckily managed to stay on as i clipped his back leg, he came over shook my hand and apologised so that was that, then next lights go green and three pedestrians decided to cross, they got a mouthful from me, as i had had it by then, taxi's deciding at the last minute to turn off with no brakes because of the rain is not a good idea either. This morning it was just a dreadful headwind all the way in no-one even matching my pace for a cheeky draft, hopefully tailwind home tonight.
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1