Silly commuting racing

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Mr_Ribble wrote:
    True, but like the oild fields on which we so rely, a man's fat deposit is a limited supply. Someone packing 20lbs of excess adipose, equates to 70,000 cal, which is just 100 days of cummiting assuming the same 700 cals daily usage riding in.

So increasing the numbers of cycling commuters, your just shift the problem away from petrol and onto krispy kreme donuts. Which then get taxed at 80% by the government, and donut rich nations become wealthy. A donut cartel is formed and the National Union of Donut Delivery Boys threaten to go on strike, which in turn causes panic buying. Cycling is no longer considered green.

and an upsurge in donut delivery couriers... what a vicious circle

I don't want my nice clear commuting roads clogged up with donut delivery boys. They should be restricted to only delivering donuts between 10pm and 5am. This wouldn't happen in the good ol' days of oil.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    Mr_Ribble wrote:
    okgo wrote:
    Those Rubinos I bought are dog slow, and when they're at about 60 psi they're even slower. 2 days off the bike for me after riding 100 miles at 20mph + pace on the Saturday, that really did my legs in.

As for diversion, I just chanced it, went up Great college St, then through an archyway into Westminster Abbey Presincts, then out onto Victoria St, its amazing that Square, like its in a rural town, yet in the middle of London, nobody about, cobbled, amazing. Will go Ribbles way tomorrow.

Funny you said that, but because I was daydreaming I took a wrong turn and ended up in this square. It is in fact amazing in there, I felt like Harry Potter. However I would advise on not taking the route as you cant cycle through the arch area really.

The porter was in an irrate debate with a nodder in high viz who had just cycled into a sandwich board that said no cycling.

My weekend was a complete write-off. Woken up 4am Saturday morning and started screaming at the toilet. Spent all of Saturday and Sunday in bed with a cold sweat, and Monday I was coming back to normality. The only positive was that I lost 2kgs in the process.

Yeah that was fun this morning - was following a bike in front of me at the diversion, we ended up going in a bit of a roundbaout, everyone was following everyone else - it was hilarious! Good number of cyclists though...

there was a lady cyclist (medium long, medium blonde) that had good pace leading up to there, before and and after VB- dark bike couldnt tell what it was though...lost her after getting lost near the presincts :P

just after PS, it turned in to one long line of cyclists down Victoria embankment and i managed to crank it up to 30 and blitzed them taking the primary :) hehehe
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    @Mr Ribble: no worries. I had a feeling you might leg it given that my turn off was coming up and it's better to have eyes peeled in that amount of traffic rather than chat.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    Here's a thing - when silly commuting walking, if you tense your stomach muscles, do you speed up, slow down or no effect and if you do it while cycling what happens? I speed up on both but more so when walking.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • richVSrich
    what would a donut delivery bike look like? donuts as wheels??
    or carrying them round the waist?
  • Mr Sharky
    Mr Sharky Posts: 172
    richVSrich wrote:
    Not sure, but you can guarantee it'd be right at home in a traffic jam.

IGMC. :oops:
    Hairy-legged roadie ( FCN 4 )
    Occasional fixed ( FCN 6 )
  • dhope
    Mr Sharky wrote:
    richVSrich wrote:

I doughn't dought it.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Annoyingly, one of the joints in my right foot has become pretty swollen and painful and is slowing me down on the bike. I believe the FCN modifier for being gout ridden is +10, so my scalp is safe for the time being.
  • MonkeyMonster
    notsoblue wrote:
    Annoyingly, one of the joints in my right foot has become pretty swollen and painful and is slowing me down on the bike. I believe the FCN modifier for being gout ridden is +10, so my scalp is safe for the time being.

Gout is entirely at the riders risk so no modifier, sorry. Stop eatin so much steak and red wine. G66 never asks for a modifier and he and boffin swap the gout award between them :D
  • richVSrich
    dhope wrote:
    Mr Sharky wrote:
    richVSrich wrote:

I doughn't dought it.

jam you!
  • MonkeyMonster
    richVSrich wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    Mr Sharky wrote:
    richVSrich wrote:
    I doughn't dought it.
    jam you!

he's running rings around you
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    Mr Sharky wrote:
    richVSrich wrote:
    I doughn't dought it.
    jam you!

he's running rings around you

yeah, a bit of a dunkin' me thinks....
  • tetm
    tetm Posts: 564
    I'm not going to sugar coat this, but that was terrible.
  • richVSrich
    tetm wrote:

fill your hole with dough?

(sorry tetm - not meaning to be rude.... :S)
  • tetm
    tetm Posts: 564
    richVSrich wrote:
    tetm wrote:

fill your hole with dough?

(sorry tetm - not meaning to be rude.... :S)

Well, you know what they said about hybrid riders being dough hole fillers... :D
  • dhope
    Just wasn't feeling it tonight :(
    Far too overdressed, had to rechange a flat before leaving, traffic a bit heavy. Meh.
    Apologies sorta for having to drop anchor halfway down VB->Physic. Not sure if the muttering was aimed at me but people were at the crossing and if I can stop in plenty of time with just a front brake then everyone else can too.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Tall Aussie guy on a yellow road bike (all I could see was 'classic') on Queen's Ride, he was mental. Fast. 'Look Mum no Hands' lady on NKR, looked like she was hardly trying and keeping a good pace. Shame she RLJ. Another older guy in a jazzy jacket looked pleased with himself for keeping up, but I spotted him RLJ as well. Anyone ever caught the guy who wears a BMX style helmet heading west home before and looks like he doesn't have enough gears? He got lambasted by a few drafters on the Embankment! Ouch.

I was definitely lacking - I'm blaming it on the headwind, or the swim that Strava says I took - giggle. Time for a curry.
    Why? Because I'm guaranteed a seat all the way in.

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Not much on the way home, some tourists standing in the road admiring big ben got hit by some girl, was quite funny. They were fine, lets hope they don't stand in the road next time!

Went for a lap round the park, didn't really put any effort in just nice to be up there, gave it a little dig down Broomfield to shake two hero's on Cervelos :roll: to my surprise I did a sub 19 min lap! Got to get my arse up there on the Cervelo, legs felt great today.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Felt rubbish. Headwind hurt. Still managed my 2nd fastest lap of the year. Will have to give 3 laps a crack later in the week when I have my lungs back.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I'm really hoping there was a headwind in every direction tonight and for that matter this morning :(
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Felt OK, then got scalped by a short guy on something blue and white, with an orange ruck-sack cover. Managed to get a tow from a truck back up to him but then lost him through some slightly more risk averse filtering. Took myself off for some intervals as punishment.

Weather forecast looks poo for tomorrow :(
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,637
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Felt OK, then got scalped by a short guy on something blue and white, with an orange ruck-sack cover. Managed to get a tow from a truck back up to him but then lost him through some slightly more risk averse filtering. Took myself off for some intervals as punishment.

That it does. Noticed a bit of a headwind this evening too. Helped thin out the also-rans though :twisted:

Got a lovely tow from a grab lorry down Garratt Lane :mrgreen:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Trying a new route in tomorrow, avoids embankment totally, is 2 miles shorter, will be interesting.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    okgo wrote:
    Trying a new route in tomorrow, avoids embankment totally, is 2 miles shorter, will be interesting.
    Counted the number of TL's on each route? Unless its massively TL and junction free I would be surprised if its massively quicker.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • karlb
    karlb Posts: 42
    Wrath Rob wrote:

If it was some time after 6, and the short guy was wearing all black, that was probably me. Assuming you've got the same "icon" on strava anyway (just uploaded last nights commute this morning and noticed I was riding with you).
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    Drizzly rain this morning and really not in the mood for people in general. Some massive fat woman and her pre-pubescent trousers round ankles boyfriend pushing their pram along taking up the entire cycle path, see's me coming but still doesnt move. In the end I had to divert across the grass.

3 Road scalps last night on the way home however they were not really trying so it didnt really count :(
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    The one really nice night and had to go direct home, do not pass Regents park, do not collect some PRs :(

Ah well was on the beers last night so not all was lost! Decided to do some drunk fettling last night, so first ride in on the Ribble this morning, initial impressions are it's nice, not very quick off the mark, but I like it, just need to get the full guards on, which are sat on my desk in the office :lol:

No SCR this morning either, shame as I think now my FCN is higher I could scalp a few more people :D
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    Last night, 16degC, sunny, shorts and ss jersey home...

This morning, wet, wet, wet,... that nasty, gets into everything, drizzly, wet stuff, thats more like low cloud than rain. plus lots of greasy, mucky, spray.

If you're going to rain, do it properly and get it over with!
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,054
    Pootle in after last nights sufferfest on the turbo

Decided to go for shorts, no knee warmers, short sleeve base and then light gortex jacket. On the climb of the Col du Richmond Col I realised it was overkill. By priory lane I was perspiring profusely and so it was off with the jacket. So it was basically jusy shorts and tshirt for the rest of the ride.
  • woke up to this morning, with a visit from PF, debated wether to take PT or change, decided to change tube, and tyre as it is getting to many holes from a bloke called flint!!, so instead of a usual 20 mile ride in, had to do the full 38, its amazing the difference an hr in the city makes, it was noddersvile on the CS2.
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1