Silly commuting racing

Comments

• mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,054
    rjsterry wrote:
    Had fun chasing Mr Ribble this morning (I think). He came past near the Physic Garden* and I just about managed to keep up (i.e. not lose sight of him) until after the fun of weaving round the back of Westminster Abbey, where I lost him in the mayhem. On balance, I think I prefer the Lambeth Bridge option, although not much in it. V. sweaty on arrival.

* I was on a white steel framed Giant with Raceblades, blue Northwave jersey and navy Crumpler bag.

I had OLD SKOOL Wheelers shorts on today (Evans down the side). On a blue Ribble.

I was holding tempo down past the flower show, then I started to crank it up and there must have been a tail wind because holding 30 was possible. Did you chase me? Because between CB and VB I think I must have passed around 40-50 nodders and other assorted riff-raff. I kid you not.

I thought I filtered quite well round the back of the Abbey, obviously not. Did I ever catch up with you again? Because a girl on a moped was giving me the eye around PS, and so I hunted her down the whole way Viccy Embankment. I was killing myself in the tunnel trying to hold her wheel and then put the killer blow in on the Col du Tower Col. Quite quick for a burd.. on a moped!
  • mr_ribble
    JZed wrote:
    Traffic lights and dviersions are really mucking up my last week of SW commuting. Did have one moment of fun when a Trek took up pole position at VB lights. Bike and rider seemed familiar so I decided it was Tetm (I was wrong!)

Schoolboy. Look out for the non-steel Ribble, navy (not the colour, the seamen) jersey and the smile that says "now I attack"
  • mr_ribble
    JZed wrote:
    Nothing much else of mention. Was hoping a poorly Mr_Ribble would appear along the way so I could inflict some pain.

Its called "recovery" big boy :) I was back on form this am.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,697
    Mr_Ribble wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Had fun chasing Mr Ribble this morning (I think). He came past near the Physic Garden* and I just about managed to keep up (i.e. not lose sight of him) until after the fun of weaving round the back of Westminster Abbey, where I lost him in the mayhem. On balance, I think I prefer the Lambeth Bridge option, although not much in it. V. sweaty on arrival.

* I was on a white steel framed Giant with Raceblades, blue Northwave jersey and navy Crumpler bag.

I had OLD SKOOL Wheelers shorts on today (Evans down the side). On a blue Ribble.

I was holding tempo down past the flower show, then I started to crank it up and there must have been a tail wind because holding 30 was possible. Did you chase me? Because between CB and VB I think I must have passed around 40-50 nodders and other assorted riff-raff. I kid you not.

I thought I filtered quite well round the back of the Abbey, obviously not. Did I ever catch up with you again? Because a girl on a moped was giving me the eye around PS, and so I hunted her down the whole way Viccy Embankment. I was killing myself in the tunnel trying to hold her wheel and then put the killer blow in on the Col du Tower Col. Quite quick for a burd.. on a moped!

KW shorts: check. That fits: I thought it seemed to be getting harder to keep up past CB. Nodders galore indeed - ended up riding outside the CS most of the way up Millbank to keep clear of them. I was right behind you at the turn on to Gt Smith St, but then you went one side of a car, I went the other (wrong side), and that was the last I saw of you.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Green Brompton
    Green Brompton Posts: 972
    edited May 2012
    Strava is down because I went down yesterday and knocked my phone - whoops. I really miss having it - Strava, not the phone :roll:

This morning I lost the fast pack heading off NKR because a land rover decided to let a bus through the earlier set of lights keeping me behind. Then got stuck with a guy on a Pinacello who must have thought he was faster than he was, by trying to get ahead at the lights all the time. Left him nowhere to be seen at CB :)

The detour round PS is just so slow. Hmph. Bring on Monday, new iPhone (hopefully) and no detour.
    Why? Because I'm guaranteed a seat all the way in.

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS
  • aeon
    aeon Posts: 167
    encountered a small peloton of wheelers as i pulled into the park last night, they were definitely taking it easy and i was close to missing my little one's bedtime so i cruised past.

managed to hold them off most of the way to robin hood... so about half a mile. and they weren't trying. but in my mind i was steaming away from the pack on a doomed and desparate quixotian solo attack in the foothills of the pyrenees. yeah.
    FCN 10 - Crosstrail
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    willy b wrote:
    richVSrich wrote:
    wilyb!

think i saw you last night - you were on a ribble tho? you managed to filter ahead at PS...and u were off...i was feeling rubbish yesterday (hence no riding in today)...then saw you doubling back on embankment (so thought it must be you drawing your squiggly lines again....)

Yup, that was me :) Very nearly finished building the Ribble, just need to put guards on and then it's done! What were you on again? Edit: Just read your sig, i'll keep an eye out!

Also saw TETM again last night at the start of Embankment, but then obviously given the mess around PS lost you! As I was doubling back along Grosvenor Rd, I saw you again. Infact RichVSrich you were probably close to him!

Did a lap of regents this morning a bumped into a chap on a SS I often see close to home, he always gives it the beans and spins very quick. Seems that I did him around Regents Park though, no where to be seen 8)

Just remembered what seemed a very quick chap on a white Condor fixie, with Rapha/Condor/Sharp bibs, and deep section wheels, Made the break as we pulled off from the junction before Blackfriars on Embankment, but tbh don't think it really counts as I turn off there.

i was gonna say hi, but i never got close enough :S

yep - that is my bike :) also accompanied by orange hump bag cover...

tetm - what does he ride? only remember two bikes last night - red langster / no helmet, and a red and black ribble (gran fondo?) the ribble made the jump at vb lights and i got cut off :(

im taking a couple of days break, gonna be doing my first triathlon on sunday ...fingers crossed :)
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    richVSrich wrote:
    tetm - what does he ride? only remember two bikes last night - red langster / no helmet, and a red and black ribble (gran fondo?) the ribble made the jump at vb lights and i got cut off :(

im taking a couple of days break, gonna be doing my first triathlon on sunday ...fingers crossed :)

TETM Rides the Ribble. Watch out though, he'll make you work :lol:
  • mr_ribble
    willy b wrote:
    richVSrich wrote:

Our just sit on his wheel and then go round him in the tunnel :)
  • mr_ribble
    aeon wrote:
    encountered a small peloton of wheelers as i pulled into the park last night, they were definitely taking it easy and i was close to missing my little one's bedtime so i cruised past.

managed to hold them off most of the way to robin hood... so about half a mile. and they weren't trying. but in my mind i was steaming away from the pack on a doomed and desparate quixotian solo attack in the foothills of the pyrenees. yeah.

Impressed :) Shame that most of them were women!

There was a couple of guys in the group, including the now infamous "Gate" and also another guy who won at Hillingdon a couple of weeks back. Buy yes, he was taking it very easy when I passed them in the opposite direction.
  • the other me
    the other me Posts: 114
    was 30 mins later than usual today due to an overnight visit from the pf, and MAN was it busy out there.

saw no-one i recognised at this new strange time, and little SCR of note, a chap on a blue and white bob jackson travelling at a similar pace to me, and a black condor with bright orange rucksack cover between VB and LBR the only exceptions
  • richVSrich
    Mr_Ribble wrote:
    willy b wrote:
    richVSrich wrote:

tetm - was that you last night?? we were playing in traffic round the ps diversion , i got in front just leading up to vb, then i started feeling sick (plus the massive wall of wind near the tate britain), and you made the lights before i did...
  • aeon
    edited May 2012
    Mr_Ribble wrote:
    aeon wrote:

There was a couple of guys in the group, including the now infamous "Gate" and also another guy who won at Hillingdon a couple of weeks back. Buy yes, he was taking it very easy when I passed them in the opposite direction.

when you're as treacle-fast as me, gender is irrelevant ;) i nearly caught them up Broomfield...
    FCN 10 - Crosstrail
  • karlb
    karlb Posts: 42
    JZed wrote:
    Traffic lights and dviersions are really mucking up my last week of SW commuting. Did have one moment of fun when a Trek took up pole position at VB lights. Bike and rider seemed familiar so I decided it was Tetm (I was wrong!) and let the Trek hang out front until the Tate when I decided he'd suffered enough and span it up to 31mph and away.

That was me this morning. I was going to pursue but I felt rubbish*.

* My excuse is 5 1/2 hours sleep, and too much breakfast (I felt sick).
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Mr_Ribble wrote:
    aeon wrote:

I was in that KW group. We were taking it very easy with only a couple of light weight attacks to Robin Hood gate. I put in a big dig off of the RB but realised fairly soon that it was a bit of a mistake as I was then puffing before the steepest part of the hill :( Got passed by one of the others about 50m from the top. Dag nam it! The rest of the lap was attack, soft peddle, attack, soft peddle. Still, set some PBs for some of the RP segments so wasn't all bad.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • aeon
    We were taking it very easy with only a couple of light weight attacks to Robin Hood gate

yeah, i figured. but for my get-home-faster motivational purposes you were team TTing in the Giro ;)

i saw you set off on that solo push... it did look ambitious but figured you were tired of hanging back with the others!

tbh whenever i see some KW branding i try to give chase, because i want to join but not until i'm at a reasonable level of fitness :)
    FCN 10 - Crosstrail
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Come along, you'll be fine. The Sunday rides always have a slower, beginners ride that's 36 miles from Kingston to Kingston via Box Hill. The pace is pretty mild (~16mph average) so if you're putting out a decent moving average on the commute you won't have any issues with that as part of a group with minimal stop-start.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    its a club with 500 members, some of which ride a bike once a week, you'll be more than fit enough to join at some level.

Its very much a pyramid of ability, and most of the rides that go out are towards the middle, so its good for most people. There's really only 5-10 people that go on the fast runs and probably only a handful that are able to do turns on the front at that level.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • aeon
    that's encouraging! i do about 35 miles @ 15.5mph commuting, so hopefully should be ok. once i get marital sign-off for a sunday ride* i'll definitely pop along :) thanks!

*if sign-off is not forthcoming then i'll just have to ride really fast.
    FCN 10 - Crosstrail
  • http://www.totallysporty.com/sport_of_t ... .php?ID=68

Judging by an earlier comment above, I'm assuming there are plenty of women cyclists in KW? I'd like to join a SW London cycling club :-)
    Pearson's do have a nice club kit (priorities)... Although, not read much about them. Perhaps I should start a new thread?

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Yes there are 4 or 5 I can think of off the top of my head and probably loads more that I don't know.

I can't see why (unless you live far away) you'd look past KW really, massive club, nice people, rides for all standards, good active forum, and plenty of rides going out at all times of the week!
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Nice ride in this morning, felt a lot better than I have for a while (please don't suggest tailwind...). Managed to push a bit harder and get my heart rate up, also my "jump" when sprinting a couple of times felt pretty damn good. No quick time though because Fenchurch Street closed :(

I also bumped into Condor man in Dulwich village (now on a nice carbon Bianchi), had a bit of a tussle between there and the Elephant, managed to hold my own without digging too deep so all good.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    aeon wrote:
    that's encouraging! i do about 35 miles @ 15.5mph commuting, so hopefully should be ok. once i get marital sign-off for a sunday ride* i'll definitely pop along :) thanks!

*if sign-off is not forthcoming then i'll just have to ride really fast.
    You'll be fine. I turned up a few months ago (haven't been there in a couple of months though, need to have a word with myself) and was able to keep up with the normal rides. This from a normal 15mi a day and a bit on weekends but nothing too strenuous.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Judging by an earlier comment above, I'm assuming there are plenty of women cyclists in KW? I'd like to join a SW London cycling club :-)
    Pearson's do have a nice club kit (priorities)... Although, not read much about them. Perhaps I should start a new thread?

Pearson have a great women's team and often put out 15+ women riders of varying abilities on their chaingangs and race the National Team Series, London Womens Cycle League and Surrey League. There's usually a team of at least five or six girls ranging from 2nd Cat with 20 years of experience to first season 4th Cat entered in the local races (Hillingdon, Hog Hill, Cyclopark), and the shop serves a pretty good espresso post-rides. PM me and I can put you in touch with the women's captain or take a look at the blog here: http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/store/co ... Club-Blog/
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • Judging by an earlier comment above, I'm assuming there are plenty of women cyclists in KW? I'd like to join a SW London cycling club :-)

Pearson have a great women's team and often put out 15+ women riders of varying abilities on their chaingangs and race the National Team Series and Surrey League. There's usually a team of at least five or six girls ranging from 2nd Cat with 20 years of experience to first season 4th Cat entered in the local races (Hillingdon, Hog Hill, Cyclopark), and the shop serves a pretty good espresso post-rides. PM me and I can put you in touch with the women's captain or take a look at the blog here: http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/store/co ... Club-Blog/

Think I'm sold. Will PM you. I just got my first road bike from Pearson's a couple of weeks ago - brilliant people, and lovely shop in East Sheen.

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS
  • KateF
    KateF Posts: 86
    @Green Brompton, I've PM'ed you about Pearson also
    Winter bike - Verenti Kilmeston
    Fair weather bike - Ribble Stealth
  • tetm
    tetm Posts: 564
    richVSrich wrote:
    Mr_Ribble wrote:
    willy b wrote:
    richVSrich wrote:

tetm - was that you last night?? we were playing in traffic round the ps diversion , i got in front just leading up to vb, then i started feeling sick (plus the massive wall of wind near the tate britain), and you made the lights before i did...

Losing Willy b in the shitefest that is the Parliament Square diversion, check, white/red/black Ribble check, chap on hybrid, check, looking back to see he's missed the VB lights, check. Sounds very much like me then.

Was taking it easy (excuse) as have been, against my will, signed up to boot camp on Clapham Common and last night was the first go. You could tell out of the people there which ones were cyclists as they seemed to be the only guys who understood what "everything you've got" meant. Evidently no rowers either. Couldn't even walk down the stairs this morning, still decided against PT and rode in at sub 20mph keeping HR below 120.

Easy pickings into the headwind on the way home, I'll be leaving EC3 at 1730, line up.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    plodding along this morning without a care in the world when out of nowhere a mountain bike over takes me, the guy is standing up mashing the cranks...shaking the bike side to side to build speed up

"its on" i think to my self, so start to spin up, the other guy is 200 meters ahead an get further ahead

i catch him up an stay behind, he speeds up, so do i...we are now speeding along around 23mph so i open the taps an fly right by, he has nothing...he doesn't fight back.

Game Set & Match
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • richVSrich
    tetm wrote:
    Losing Willy b in the shitefest that is the Parliament Square diversion, check, white/red/black Ribble check, chap on hybrid, check, looking back to see he's missed the VB lights, check. Sounds very much like me then.

ah nice to pick out another BR member :) hi!
    thanks for letting me in at the lights round that diversion...

btw what is going on round parliament square? its a bloomin mess...
  • @Green Brompton

Always worth considering Twickenham CC as well :) - it isn't much further on from Sheen, slightly smaller ladies side although we do still race National Team Series, Surrey League, London Women's League, WLC TT, team time trials, track (although not sure when the next sessions will be) and even cyclocross (plus lots of other things). Small, friendly club (about 120 members) where everyone gets to know each other and we have nice flattering kit ;)
    Nice weather bike: Fondriest TF2 (white/ black)
    Training Bike: Giant Avail (white/ blue/ green)
    Track bikes: Planet X Franko Bianco (white) and 7VRN (white/ black)
    CX: Kinesis Pro6 (sick green)