Silly commuting racing

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Anyway, seems a few people had their monday legs on today.

Bumped into Ed F this morning who looked very beat up after a racing crash yesterday. Ouchy.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • whitebait01
    whitebait01 Posts: 610
    Good ride in this morning, knees felt good and I think there may have been a tailwind... Saw a chap on a Boardman team with Castelli shorts at Clapham South and we left everyone else for dust until traffic at Borough separated us (or he turned off?). Either way, good pace, kept me honest! Snuck in just before the rain started, crossing my fingers for a nice dry commute home via Embankment.
    Ribble Audax - FCN 5
    Dedacciai Pista - FCN 3
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    How I miss an early morning tailwind. Straight into a headwind the whole way in. Can't get used of turning out the front door and going up a 5% climb for 1/2 a mile.
  • anonymousblackfg
    anonymousblackfg Posts: 2,029
    Good ride in, later than usual so more action, what time do most of the usual crowd head over Purney Bridge/NKR? I feel I never recognise anyone mentioned here!

I felt strong but suffered riding fixed against a couple of fast Roadies.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,054
    JonGinge wrote:
    Mr_Ribble wrote:
    Scalped JonG and CJCP on the Portsmouth Rd on Sunday lunchtime... ok admittedly I was on the back of a Wheelers train and the strong boys were on the front mashing it up :)
    CJ said you were in there. I upped the pace for all of, oh, 2 seconds and then gave up. We'd just done the May Flyer so were on our knees.

Lol. We had just done the "Jim" flyer. I was on my knees as well. Heard you also had a down. All ok? Lots of gravel on those hills after all this rain.
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    JonGinge wrote:
    Anyway, seems a few people had their monday legs on today.

Seems a lot of people were taking the advantage of teh weather and put in soem big rides! me on the otherhand, I had no excuse :lol:
  • jonginge
    Mr_Ribble wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    Mr_Ribble wrote:
    Scalped JonG and CJCP on the Portsmouth Rd on Sunday lunchtime... ok admittedly I was on the back of a Wheelers train and the strong boys were on the front mashing it up :)
    CJ said you were in there. I upped the pace for all of, oh, 2 seconds and then gave up. We'd just done the May Flyer so were on our knees.

Lol. We had just done the "Jim" flyer. I was on my knees as well. Heard you also had a down. All ok? Lots of gravel on those hills after all this rain.
    Yeah, first corner of the sportive and the junction was covered in gravel. I was at the back of the group so didn't see it coming (no gravel shout either). I turned through a massive patch of it and my front wheel washed out.

Injury-wise I got away with it: very, very light road rash and bruising. The bike was less fortunate: bent rear mech hanger and the RH STI is playing up. I spent the whole ride in the big ring and wondering if I was going to shift up when I meant to shift down...

It pales in comparison with Ed's weekend of fun, though
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • timmyflash
    timmyflash Posts: 526
    I felt strong but suffered riding fixed against a couple of fast Roadies.

We'll have less of that talk. It just makes you harder than them.
    Steel Blue Fixed - Orange Backpack Cover

How do i get a link to a photo in here?!

Fixeh
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    The 60-mile run out I had in Sussex yesterday has done my knee in. Not ideal when I'm off for a two-week cycling holiday in northern Spain on Wednesday.

Still, could be worse. Could be staying in the UK. :D
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    ketsbaia wrote:
    The 60-mile run out I had in Sussex yesterday has done my knee in. Not ideal when I'm off for a two-week cycling holiday in northern Spain on Wednesday.

Ooo where? I holiday'd around Northen Spain for a good number of years, brilliant area! 8)
  • domgears
    domgears Posts: 135
    Hi Guys & Gals,

Just a quick FCN question, does it still count as non cycling clothing if you wear bib shorts under normal running shorts and running top? Or is non cycling clothing reserved for those wearing work trousers and shirts?

Comments please.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    JonGinge wrote:
    Was it you I asked if they were OK? I assumed the thumbs up meant that you were but had second thoughts a few seconds later...

Yeah, it was, red/white Assos top pushing my bike, and it was a thumbs down, not a thumbs up :oops: Was pretty terminal anyway, don't know of anyone in their right mind who'd carry a cassette lockring tool on their commute.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • jonginge
    JonGinge wrote:
    Was it you I asked if they were OK? I assumed the thumbs up meant that you were but had second thoughts a few seconds later...

Yeah, it was, red/white Assos top pushing my bike, and it was a thumbs down, not a thumbs up :oops: Was pretty terminal anyway, don't know of anyone in their right mind who'd carry a cassette lockring tool on their commute.
    :oops: Think I need my eyes testing.

(I have had a lockring tool in my bag on occasion. Normally after I've swapped a cassette. Not on friday, though)
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • martinc
    martinc Posts: 422
    edited May 2012
    A sunny Surrey weekend ride at last. Exactly a year since I've done a Surrey hills ride but 90km of bliss on Sat morning (apart from the post chest-infection coughing and spluttering). Oh and they've tarmaced Box Hill now for the Olympics.. lurvely.
    This morning's Embankment competition was with a big guy on a blue Tifosi. He won. Ho hum.
    Always in stealth mode
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    okgo wrote:
    Saw Wrath Rob by p-sqaure, a nice little chit chat and then went our ways, not really any effort being put in today, just a shame that the weather is so shoot for nearly June!!!

Saw you shoot past just past lambeth Bridge, but never really had a chance to say hi - red raleigh, blue clothes?

Morning Rob & Timmyflash. (I was the blue coppi with RLX shorts). You got a lovely tow there Rob down Millbank. I was pretty conscious of the 40psi in my rear tyre so wasn't hammering it this AM. Will pump it up on the way home and see what happens. I thought that was a good excuse to take it easy after getting a bit carried away at the ship last night. Thanks for keeping me honest!
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    willy b wrote:
    ketsbaia wrote:

Ooo where? I holiday'd around Northen Spain for a good number of years, brilliant area! 8)

Heading out to a place near Horta de San Juan, which is about an hour's drive from Barcelona Reus airport on the Catalan/Aragon border. Went last year without the bike and regretted it, as the roads are baby-arse smooth and there are hills/mountains aplenty. Nothing Alpine or Pyrenean in scale, but some decent climbs and descents all the same.

Couple of friends have just finished building a guest house, which they're hoping to let out to cyclists in future, so I'm doing a recce of the local roads. Will report back upon my return. :D
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    domgears wrote:
    Hi Guys & Gals,

Just a quick FCN question, does it still count as non cycling clothing if you wear bib shorts under normal running shorts and running top? Or is non cycling clothing reserved for those wearing work trousers and shirts?

Comments please.
    I'd group that with baggies, i.e. not road specific but not civvies.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    dhope wrote:
    domgears wrote:
    Hi Guys & Gals,

Comments please.

If you wear lycra but hide it, you're are still wearing lycra and thus adjust you food number - covering it up at this point is merely cosmetic.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    coriordan wrote:
    okgo wrote:
    Saw Wrath Rob by p-sqaure, a nice little chit chat and then went our ways, not really any effort being put in today, just a shame that the weather is so shoot for nearly June!!!

Saw you shoot past just past lambeth Bridge, but never really had a chance to say hi - red raleigh, blue clothes?

Morning Rob & Timmyflash. (I was the blue coppi with RLX shorts). You got a lovely tow there Rob down Millbank. I was pretty conscious of the 40psi in my rear tyre so wasn't hammering it this AM. Will pump it up on the way home and see what happens. I thought that was a good excuse to take it easy after getting a bit carried away at the ship last night. Thanks for keeping me honest!
    If anything that tow was a bit slow! I ended up on the right with a moped on my left so couldn't get back to CS8 for the undertake. Rob appeared as I went around P'Square and as we got chatting I was expecting you and Timmy to reappear at some point, though once we'd nipped through an amber (we were too close to stop) I realised that was the end of it.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    dhope wrote:
    domgears wrote:
    Hi Guys & Gals,

Comments please.

If you wear lycra but hide it, you're are still wearing lycra and thus adjust you food number - covering it up at this point is merely cosmetic.
    FCN *is* merely cosmetic :lol:
    Lycra covered by jeans should just invoke a sense of shame at the artificial lowering of an FCN
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Anonymous
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Rob appeared as I went around P'Square and as we got chatting I was expecting you and Timmy to reappear at some point, though once we'd nipped through an amber (we were too close to stop) I realised that was the end of it.

I turn off on Great Peter Street, so its all over before I even hit PS. On a good day I might head out to blackfriars, but it only means I have to come all the way back again!
  • timmyflash
    timmyflash Posts: 526
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    I was expecting you and Timmy to reappear at some point, though once we'd nipped through an amber (we were too close to stop) I realised that was the end of it.

I was pooped. Planned on taking it easy, but then was unhappy about how easily Coriordan breezed past, so had to put in a bit of effort. Kickboxing this eve - various exercises on Wednesday had me in pieces till Sunday.
    coriordan wrote:
    I turn off on Great Peter Street - and forgot to indicate
    ftfy :wink:
    Steel Blue Fixed - Orange Backpack Cover

How do i get a link to a photo in here?!

Fixeh
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Morning CJ :).

Like the jersey!

Morning.

Cheers, I like that jersey. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    cjcp wrote:

Like the jersey!

Morning.

De Ronde?
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,811
    JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Like the jersey!

Morning.

De Ronde?

Ja.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    coriordan wrote:
    okgo wrote:

If anything that tow was a bit slow! I ended up on the right with a moped on my left so couldn't get back to CS8 for the undertake. Rob appeared as I went around P'Square and as we got chatting I was expecting you and Timmy to reappear at some point, though once we'd nipped through an amber (we were too close to stop) I realised that was the end of it.

Yep that was me. Didn't notice anyone today really.

Trying to take it easy to recover from race yesterday.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Like the jersey!

Morning.

De Ronde?

Ja.
    Saw someone in a Cycles Goff jersey the other day :-)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Anonymous
    timmyflash wrote:
    coriordan wrote:
    I turn off on Great Peter Street - and forgot to indicate
    ftfy :wink:

yeah sorry about that - I've only been here a week and don't know where the turnoff is. While the works were going on, all traffic turned off there! I'll make sure I get in lane in future!!
  • mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,054
    @coriordan So you are no longer in the wharf then. Does explain

1. Why you said you saw me, when you were cycling out to the wharf in the evening
    2. I havent seen you, and then passed you in the tunnel.
    3. I havent seen you, and then passed you on the climb of the Col du Tower Col.
    4. I havent seen you, and then passed you on the Highway

:)
  • Flyingbogey
    Flyingbogey Posts: 352
    Was on the road about an hour later this am and didn't like it. Was going to head down to scr at tooting Bec but decided to keept to cs7 and chase the guy in the world champion colours. Need not have bothered, no one really up for it but at least strava says Merantum way is mine again!
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4