Silly commuting racing

Comments

• This is it though, I arrived fresh as the proverbial daisy. Not even a sweat on. If you ever want to see people cycling slower than walking pace then head down to Clapham High St/Clapham Road/Kennington Road one evening. It's like watching turtles migrate.

there's this increibly old bloke who lives in the village next to mine. He must be in his 90s and he cycles EVERYWHERE. He also has a permanent drip hanging from the end of his nose, but that's another story....

He crawls along on his bike, but he cycles something like 10 miles every day to get to the shops in the Derby suburbs. He has this pre-war bike made out of cast iron and come rain or shine or hurricanes... there he is going so slow it looks like continental drift.

The most bizarre thing is that when he gets OFF the bike he maintains EXACTLY the same shape as when he is sat on it.

It really is the most incredible sight to see.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945

Mmmm, I blew past a couple of fellas (who seemed to be playing) on Millbank yesterday eve, turned of towards Victoria at Vauxhall bridge though. Was it me you saw I wonder - Blue Pearson SS, white tires, courier bag...

I saw a bloke on a Pearson fixie/SS in full Pearson lycras last night up ahead of me, no chance of catching him I don't think, but I briefly gave it a go, then he RLJ'd. Bad Pearson man!
    Categorically not me. But was on a Grey Pearson SS (standard tires) and also blasted past a few on millbank and after...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    This is it though, I arrived fresh as the proverbial daisy. Not even a sweat on. If you ever want to see people cycling slower than walking pace then head down to Clapham High St/Clapham Road/Kennington Road one evening. It's like watching turtles migrate.

there's this increibly old bloke who lives in the village next to mine. He must be in his 90s and he cycles EVERYWHERE. He also has a permanent drip hanging from the end of his nose, but that's another story....

He crawls along on his bike, but he cycles something like 10 miles every day to get to the shops in the Derby suburbs. He has this pre-war bike made out of cast iron and come rain or shine or hurricanes... there he is going so slow it looks like continental drift.

The most bizarre thing is that when he gets OFF the bike he maintains EXACTLY the same shape as when he is sat on it.

It really is the most incredible sight to see.

:lol::lol::lol:
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Wiggle expenditure on winter biking accessories in the last month now up to £380 :shock:
  • biondino
    And I haven't bought a rucksack yet.
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    biondino wrote:
    Wiggle expenditure on winter biking accessories in the last month now up to £380 :shock:

You really have GOT to stop buying Gucci bib shorts you old tart!
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • biondino
    Make that £425 (I went for the Deuter Bike 1 rucksack as it's the prettiest, though not in stock yet)...
  • biondino
    Haha! I have made a real effort to buy cheap or reduced stuff - lots of DHB gear, for a start. Hmm, I bought my Ultegra cassette on ebay so add another £27...
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    Well im back from Holiday, Back in work in the morning, A little scared, Just done 4.25 Miles in 23 Mins so not all bad and I feel fresh as a daisy, The morning will be the REAL test though.
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Littigator wrote:
    biondino wrote:

You really have GOT to stop buying Gucci bib shorts you old tart!
    But, but, but they've just added the new Castelli winter stuff... ooh my aching credit card ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    This has reminded me to sew up the hole in my winter tights...
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • biondino
    Do we rate Descente stuff? Just bought a windproof jacket on Wiggle for half price (£57) so I hope it's okay.
  • What blatant disregard to the economic crisis! It has affected the entire western world, apart from Biondino...
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
    Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
    Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0
  • cjcp
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Despite my fears the wind last night seemed to be on my back for once and I had an epic ride home, punctuated with several duals. The first was on Col de Soutwark Bridge. I got taken just before the cycle lane but reeled him back in before the top but had to back off due to the narrow lane. Honours even.

Next was just after Lambeth Bridge coming onto the Embankment. A fixie went past in full lycra just as I was turning left, providing me with my first opportunity of a real scalp. I swung around the RB and set of after his back wheel, eyes locked on to my prize. Just as I was feeling the benefits of the tow at 25+ another fixie blew past both of us! My target forgot about keeping me behind and set of after his prize. The 3 way battle raged past Millbank until the new player made some poor lane choices at the bridge and then must have turned off as we didn't see him again.

So, down to me and the fixie as the normal flotsam and jetsam in the Embankment peloton was brushed aside. Well, when I say down to I mean I spent the entire ride from Vauxhaul to Albert trying to hold his wheel. Every time he started to pull away I dug deeper and clung on like a rabid limpet. I was ashamed however as I knew that I was not destined to take the lead as despite the wind my present lack of fitness means that I can't cruise past 22 so holding 27-28 for more than a few hundred meters was not on the cards. My lungs had been replaced by two pain machines and my legs were being turned into jelly from the inside out. At Albert Bridge he pushed to the front leaving me behind so I couldn't even thank him/apologies to him for the tow.

A couple of roadies caught up at that point so I had to prove that it wasn't all the fixie's doing so by the time I hit Col de Wandsworth Bridge I was feeling wrecked. Only a RLJing roadie had to be put in his place on the climb and then I was free to stop trying to breath hard through my ears, gulp down some lungfuls of air and cruise home.

Arriving home, sweat pooring from my body, my wife opened the door in disgust. That wasn't going to get me down though as the Game helped me have the best ride home in a long time. This morning paled in comparison so I can only hope that tonight brings the rematch...

A true Gamer here, folks.

What time do get to Lambeth Bridge and what bike do you ride? :twisted: :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Despite my fears the wind last night seemed to be on my back for once and I had an epic ride home, punctuated with several duals. The first was on Col de Soutwark Bridge. I got taken just before the cycle lane but reeled him back in before the top but had to back off due to the narrow lane. Honours even.

Next was just after Lambeth Bridge coming onto the Embankment. A fixie went past in full lycra just as I was turning left, providing me with my first opportunity of a real scalp. I swung around the RB and set of after his back wheel, eyes locked on to my prize. Just as I was feeling the benefits of the tow at 25+ another fixie blew past both of us! My target forgot about keeping me behind and set of after his prize. The 3 way battle raged past Millbank until the new player made some poor lane choices at the bridge and then must have turned off as we didn't see him again.

So, down to me and the fixie as the normal flotsam and jetsam in the Embankment peloton was brushed aside. Well, when I say down to I mean I spent the entire ride from Vauxhaul to Albert trying to hold his wheel. Every time he started to pull away I dug deeper and clung on like a rabid limpet. I was ashamed however as I knew that I was not destined to take the lead as despite the wind my present lack of fitness means that I can't cruise past 22 so holding 27-28 for more than a few hundred meters was not on the cards. My lungs had been replaced by two pain machines and my legs were being turned into jelly from the inside out. At Albert Bridge he pushed to the front leaving me behind so I couldn't even thank him/apologies to him for the tow.

A couple of roadies caught up at that point so I had to prove that it wasn't all the fixie's doing so by the time I hit Col de Wandsworth Bridge I was feeling wrecked. Only a RLJing roadie had to be put in his place on the climb and then I was free to stop trying to breath hard through my ears, gulp down some lungfuls of air and cruise home.

Arriving home, sweat pooring from my body, my wife opened the door in disgust. That wasn't going to get me down though as the Game helped me have the best ride home in a long time. This morning paled in comparison so I can only hope that tonight brings the rematch...

A true Gamer here, folks.

What time do you get to Lambeth Bridge and what bike do you ride? :twisted: :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    And welcome back, GB. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    cjcp wrote:

Thanks very much :D I cant wait for the morning now, Im ready to kick it into the next level now
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • Littigator
    gb155 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Thanks very much :D I cant wait for the morning now, Im ready to kick it into the next level now

Jolly Good, that's the spirit eh what! One must always sock it to Johnny Drafters and Nicholas NoSpeeds whenever the oppo arises dontcherknow!

• Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I forgot my smiley so it should have read like below. No intention of side tracking into a haed attire debate intended :lol:
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Bless indeed, that he thinks a helmet will make a HGV see you and also prevent your body from being crushed by one. Personally, my helmet is there to hide my lack of hair and for no other reason at all. :wink:

I just thought it was nice that he cared.

Let's not have a h****t debate on this thread.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Mmmm, I blew past a couple of fellas (who seemed to be playing) on Millbank yesterday eve, turned of towards Victoria at Vauxhall bridge though. Was it me you saw I wonder - Blue Pearson SS, white tires, courier bag...

I can't remember much about the bike but it had no tape on the bars and the guy riding it was in dark clothes (I think). I had a day-glo rucksack on, riding a black Boardman Road Comp and the fixie in front was in black lycra long-sleeved top and leggings. In September, the big jessie! It would have been at around 6.15-6.20. Maybe it was you?
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Does anyone else have substantially less sprightly legs in the morning than in the evening?

I seem to at the minute, makes no sense though as I go to the gym at lunchtime and still feel stronger on the way home...

Very suspect.

Any thoughts?
  • cjcp
    Wrath Rob wrote:

I can't remember much about the bike but it had no tape on the bars and the guy riding it was in dark clothes (I think). I had a day-glo rucksack on, riding a black Boardman Road Comp and the fixie in front was in black lycra long-sleeved top and leggings. In September, the big jessie! It would have been at around 6.15-6.20. Maybe it was you?

So, after 6, Black Boardman Road Comp.

:D
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • biondino
    What blatant disregard to the economic crisis! It has affected the entire western world, apart from Biondino...

Basically I had no winter gear at all, and also needed to bring the winter bike up to spec, so it's about half and half in cost terms. Considering what I got it's not actually that extravagant!!
  • cjcp
    Does anyone else have substantially less sprightly legs in the morning than in the evening?

I seem to at the minute, makes no sense though as I go to the gym at lunchtime and still feel stronger on the way home...

Very suspect.

Any thoughts?

The muscles stretch naturally during the course of the day as they warm up. I've read that the best time to train/work out is 5-7pm. This explains why I run like a knacker at Bushey Park at 9am.

Whenever I do a triathlon, I circumvent the problem with Red Bull.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • biondino
    LiT, I have a suspicion this may be the very first sign of ageing in your otherwise youthful form. I'm so stiff in the morning it takes half my commute to loosen up...
  • cjcp
    biondino wrote:
    LiT, I have a suspicion this may be the very first sign of ageing in your otherwise youthful form. I'm so stiff in the morning it takes half my commute to loosen up...

:shock:

Ooo, guess who's a dead man?!
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Littigator
    biondino wrote:
    coooooooouuuugh ahem I really don't think there's any need for potty mouth chat like that thankyouverymuch!

• cjcp wrote:
    biondino wrote:

:shock:

Ooo, guess who's a dead man?!

@biondino

*SLAP*

I refuse to believe I'm ageing... I'm only 25 damn it! :x :wink::D

OK, I'm going to start stretching before I leave in the morning. And maybe having coffee. I do remember reading somewhere a while ago that caffeine trickes your brain into thinking you're not working as hard - is there any truth in that? Or, CJ, why the red bull?

Furthermore:
    biondino wrote:

Littigator wrote:
    coooooooouuuugh ahem I really don't think there's any need for potty mouth chat like that thankyouverymuch!

*helpless resigned giggling*

:lol::lol:
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    First post on here so please excuse me if I am talking out of turn.

So I pull out of a side road and low and behold there is bait 200m up ahead. He looks about the same level on the food chain as myself but he is wearing tights so could be a girly legged fella. I start reeling him in when a car comes past indicating left, "strange" I thought, usually cars indicate right to overtake. The car carries on past me still indicating and the passes the lad on the bike at which point he swings left into a drive amid tyre squealing and brakes smoking. We carry on up the road shaking our heads and then when the traffic allowed it I cruised past looking nonchalent (quads burning but that is between you and me OK?). Then just as we approach where I turn off he comes past again. Evens I guess on this one.

So the first question is can I get a ruling on whether tights are classed the same as shaven legs due to the fact that there is no way in hell I am going to say to someone "oi show us your legs!"

The second question is if the car had wiped him off the road would I have collected the points seeing as I was catching him up until his demise?
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • cjcp
    LiT - Red Bull gives me that va va voom for the race - it kicks in quicker than a sports drink.

Feltup - welcome! any pix of the Tourmalet to hand?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."