Silly commuting racing

Comments

• Clever Pun wrote:

Sadly no SCR action for me today or for the next week as I need to get my mahusive laptop home today and it's rather uncomfortable to say the least to transport in my backpack and next week I'm on a training course near White City. Didn' want to take the bike there as I'm not familiar with the area enough yet and haven't been given the green light from the missus to do a reccy on the Sunday!

Under%20the%20thumb.jpg

:x very funny :-) In my defense I am staritng on a back foot as Saturday is taken up with a birthday party for the middle one and I worked all day last Saturday and did the Freewheel sans children I really need to spend some time with them :-)

Maybe if I wake up REALLY early Sunday I can make the 25 mile round trip before anyone realizes........
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Greg66 wrote:
    :D:D:D See - told you - a Cervelo will make you more attractive to members of the opposite sex. Tests have shown that it will also make you up to 1.75 inches taller, reduce grey hair and eliminate the signs of aging!

Ha! In my head this is true. I fear the reality maybe somewhat shabbier...
    The user previously known as Sea_Green_Incorruptible.

Soloist Team: http://tinyurl.com/3tjjcn
    Cycle Path Cruiser: http://tinyurl.com/4yvfrr
    Knobbly Action: http://tinyurl.com/44cofe
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    "poor man's rover"?
  • Saw the most ridiculously dangerous and irresponsible display of bike riding on my way in this morning...it happened here: http://www.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&ll=51.502238,-0.17767&spn=0.008882,0.018818&z=16

Waiting to cross Kensington Road from Queensgate, a woman on a hybrid suddenly wobbles round me at the lights, rljs and then suddenly turns sharp right across the southbound carriageway of Queensgate Terrace, narrowly avoiding traffic turning right into the road (including a bike). I note she is wearing a cap and earphones, although I'm too astounded to react by shouting a warning.

She then turns left and proceeds at speed across the westbound carriageway of Kensington Road, scattering pedestrians trying to cross - legitimately - at the lights.

I think that must be it for the horror show now she's on the island in the middle of kensington road, but no - this is a rider who clearly sees the road as some kind of obstacle course. She now incredibly sprints across the eastbound lane of kensington road, between fast-moving traffic, and again nearly wipes out a cyclist making his way legitimately along the road.

I see she's disappeared into Queensgate in Hyde Park - entering the cycle path on the right and forcing a cyclist making their way out, on the left, into evasive action. I'm going that way (past the Albert Memorial) so once the lights are green a short while later I give chase, intending to both give her a piece of my mind, and save her from hurting herself and/or others.

I reel her in as we approach the gates at the junction with The ring/Exhibition Road...but amazingly, she shoots straight through the gates and across the pavement/cycle path (luckily nobody coming either way), straight out into the road and across the junction into South Carriage Drive, forcing a car turning right into South Carriage Drive to swerve to avoid her....I turn left and hope I don't read more bad news on the forum this morning.

Anyway, on the slightest chance that you're reading this, or that someone on here knows or sees this person themselves - please stop endangering yourself and other road users!
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Must be the morning for it. From Chelsea to Blackfriars this morning I saw the most dangerous riding I've seen for ages. Blond woman, blue top, black leggings on an mtb. Obviously pretty cardiovascularly fit but didn't care much for the rules of the road (or the pavement when she was pelting along it)

Apart from that a lovely ride in. Loads of cyclists and most of them not RLJing :)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • I saw something very similar this morning on the other side of the park (Bayswater Road) heading east. A set of ped lights at red with a cyclist and a couple of kids in tow crossing. This woman on a hybrid wobbles in to them, makes a sudden swerve to the right as if her brakes have failed and she needs to ride round them, forces the guy to stop then wobbles back on to the road and heads on her way. Same woman? (Blonde, youngish, baggy red trousers) or is there an epidemic loons out there?
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    edited September 2008
    Eeek! The girls are getting a bad press this morning!

I, on the other hand, had a great ride in! Legs recovered from my training on Friday, had a coffee before I left, fab weather. Even remembered my 'sunny day' sunglasses rather than my 'cloudy day' ones.

And so I pootled off from my house, past the uni, through the park onto the uxbridge road. Ah bums, no-one's about. Never mind.

Along I go, into Acton and Aha! a little group of 4 cyclists! I was pretty well motoring along by that point, not sure how fast as I STILL haven't fitted the computer, but a fair RPM on a big gear, so shot past them behind a passing van. It was only then I realised the front two were men on roadies! Huzzah! Scalps!

One of them looked so shocked, and upped his RPM, I could hear the gears clicking on his Pearson, and caught up with me a few times at lights only for me to kick his @rse with my mad pedlin' skillz time and time again. Loooooooser!

That's the great thing about my commute, when I actually see worthwhile competition I generally get to scalp them a few times - we're usually all going the same way! :D

I'm in such a good mood today.

Anyone up for friday beerz (I am like totally gangsta) this week?
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    snooks wrote:
    OK I got my Felt today!....still a bit wobbly, and it will take me a bit of time to get used to it...but Oh My GOD! how fast is it??? :D.

I took last week off to play with Bianchi so missed Snookster's elevation and revelation to roadie hood.

Now just so we are clear I defo TOLD YOU SO.

There - I was right - again.

We should launch a London MTB amnesty.

Take your over engineered / under geared MTB to any designated pick up point and it will be recycled as train tracks / scaffolding tubes / reactor shielding.

In return you can get a 250 Quid Evans Roadie voucher, bigger legs and ten minutes off your PB.

I think this has got legs.

Friends don't let friends ride Mountain Bikes*

(*On the road - spare me the mud splattered I'm so "off road" I shit fence posts posturing)
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Morning all. I need a little help for Fridays ride home on 2 counts. First is to decide the FCN of a fellow rider. He was on what looked like a tourer, including a panier, metal chain guard and mud guards but it was a SS! And no, it definitely didn't have hub-centric gears. He was pretty quick (in lycra) and we had a quick chat at one of the bridges, though I managed to drop him along Embankment before the traffic got bad. So, what FCN was he? Did I get a scalp?

Secondly, on the sprint away from Battersea Bridge, heading west, I lead away from the lights up to about 30m from Lotts road (a left turning I take). I was easing up to give me space to safely make the turn when 3 or 4 riders came past me. They were probably going faster than I was so it could have been me scalped but as I was easing and turning off (none of them took the same turn) I had no chance to respond. So, was I done or was I safe?

Today was quiet, one SS and one roadie with aero bars (he wasn't using them) handed over their scalps. I almost took out a MTB rider though, my life-saver look saved the both of us as he shot past me. I ran out of road before I could come back but he was shifting! And thanks to the lycra hybrid rider who pushed past me at the lights on Baylis Road, sat in front of me (ingnoring my musings) and then ably demonstrated his lack of power away from the lights by getting in my way. Idiot.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Rob - no idea. I've lost the thread for the FCN calculator. BJUK - do you have it to hand?

I'm measuring my efforts this week. I've got the opportunity to do some laps of the Park before and after work so don't want to be spent before I reach the Park. Which is a bit of a problem, because I'm wearing club kit and a nice new Assos cap and one feels a certain responsibility not to be scapled when wearing this combo.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Eeek! The girls are getting a bad press this morning!
    It may seem that way but the riding like a (k)nob scales are still firmly weighted to the blokes side. ;)

Don't let my posts fool you. I'm also very happy with the ride in: lovely crisp, sunny morning; no 'moments', car-rider respect quotient was high. The only disappontment was traffic through blackfriars tunnel so I couldn't do my normal sprint
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • how many times a week do you think 'if that car had been going juuuust a little faster, i would be very much part of the hedge'. It happens a good twice a week to me. eg overtaken on a blind bend: if the driver had been going only a couple of mph faster - multi car pile up - and sheptastic strawberry jam.
    What does go through some people minds while driving?

Rant over. proberbly the wrong place for it but....i was commuting..
  • cjcp wrote:
    Rob - no idea. I've lost the thread for the FCN calculator. BJUK - do you have it to hand?

I'm measuring my efforts this week. I've got the opportunity to do some laps of the Park before and after work so don't want to be spent before I reach the Park. Which is a bit of a problem, because I'm wearing club kit and a nice new Assos cap and one feels a certain responsibility not to be scapled when wearing this combo.

CJ - Did I spy you in RP Sat am, it was hard to tell in the fog, but I defo passed a fella who looked like you and was going round clockwise to my anti.
  • cjcp
    cjcp wrote:

CJ - Did I spy you in RP Sat am, it was hard to tell in the fog, but I defo passed a fella who looked like you and was going round clockwise to my anti.

I wish! I was in Bushey Park doing a 5k run. In the fog.

Hoping to get out there a couple of mornings this week if you're around.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Depends on the weather, if it stays nice I should be out. Need to get the winter bike fettled up I think. God knows what I've done with the lights over the summer though.
  • cjcp
    Ok. I'm hoping to do three laps. I need to be heading off to work by 8am, so I'll be starting at 7am at the latest.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • erk, bit early for me but I'll keep my eyes peeled if I get out. I'll prob be on the Focus if I get it fettled up this week.

Apologies for the gratuitous thread hijack by the way folks!
  • BEER?

This friday?

Nobody responded to my earlier question... :cry:
  • Greg T
    BEER?

This friday?

How is the OCD LiT? Are you feeling very needy today?

I'd suggest a group ride round Richmond Park this weekend but fear that I wouldn't be able to attend as I'll be baby wrestling / asleep / sectioned at the time we should be doing it.

I won't suggest it either in case it happens and I can't play out.

Did I type that out loud?

• Greg T wrote:

I'd suggest a group ride round Richmond Park this weekend but fear that I wouldn't be able to attend

:shock: :shock: :shock:

You're suggesting that a group of uber-competitive psycho nutter riders go for a ride *together* - I repeat - *together* around Richmond Park.

Are you mad?

And then, by way of a sneaky footnote, you add "I wouldn't be able to attend".

Do you think we're mad? :shock:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    LiT I may be around for beerz so pencil me in.
  • Greg T wrote:
    BEER?

This friday?

How is the OCD LiT? Are you feeling very needy today?

I'd suggest a group ride round Richmond Park this weekend but fear that I wouldn't be able to attend as I'll be baby wrestling / asleep / sectioned at the time we should be doing it.

I won't suggest it either in case it happens and I can't play out.

Did I type that out loud?

Lol!

Actually just bored so trying to arrange my social calendar this week!
  • Greg T
    Greg66 wrote:

I'm hoping that you all arrange to meet at let's say 0900hrs at Richmond gate.

I will be hidden behind a Krispy Kreme Doughnut box by the Star and Garter, I'll be "carbo laoding" via the medium of classic glazed ring doughnuts (the ONLY doughnut - all other poncy non ringy / "filled" and flavoured so called doughnuts should be banned)..

Anyhoo.

I'll start my stopwatch counting down for 55 mins as you push off (or start counting One potatoe, two potatoe etc etc I might need a paper and pencil to keep track).

As you crest the hill three laps later I'll just be coming through the gate....
    Guys! Brilliant - I thought I'd miss you - shall we do a couple?

Hoping beyond hope that you are all spent from your exertions and my deep fried confectionary training plan has doubled my power output and halved my weight.

I'll skin the lot of you ragged.

Don't tell JB or CJCP.

• My god. That is pure evil.

You'll probably be sick... :shock:
  • Greg T
    My god. That is pure evil.

You'll probably be sick... :shock:

Who do you think I am Victoria Beckham?

I promise you every calorie I pour down my wobbly neck stays down and adds to the great mass of power.

Game Lab scientists have estimated that if I ever burst into flame I would burn for two and a half years with enough heat to melt five London Buses.

Any of you big timers want to go mano a mano with me in Pizza Hut / Jabba the Hut stakes then take a number and wait in line.

• Greg T wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

I'm hoping that you all arrange to meet at let's say 0900hrs at Richmond gate.

I will be hidden behind a Krispy Kreme Doughnut box by the Star and Garter, I'll be "carbo laoding" via the medium of classic glazed ring doughnuts (the ONLY doughnut - all other poncy non ringy / "filled" and flavoured so called doughnuts should be banned)..

Anyhoo.

I'll start my stopwatch counting down for 55 mins as you push off (or start counting One potatoe, two potatoe etc etc I might need a paper and pencil to keep track).

As you crest the hill three laps later I'll just be coming through the gate....

oozing through the gate more like. I'd give you half a lap before the vomit appears!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    edited September 2008
    Greg66 wrote:
    Greg T wrote:

I'd suggest a group ride round Richmond Park this weekend but fear that I wouldn't be able to attend

:shock: :shock: :shock:

You're suggesting that a group of uber-competitive psycho nutter riders go for a ride *together* - I repeat - *together* around Richmond Park.

Are you mad?

And then, by way of a sneaky footnote, you add "I wouldn't be able to attend".

So how many of you use the Park for training runs?

Who would be interested in a "friendly" Embankment Peloton sportive perhaps with food and drinks afterwards?

Edit: Suggested programme

lap 1 all together warm up
    lap 2 - 3.5 split into groups such as casual fun riders, single/fixed, club nutters, etc.
    lap 3.5 - 4 free style, cough! cough! group scalpfest

Retire to a safe distance i.e. a nearby local tavern to discuss nail cleaning tips :twisted:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:

So how many of you use the Park for training runs?

Who would be interested in a "friendly" Embankment Peloton sportive perhaps with food and drinks afterwards?

Read 'a bunch of people cycling at threshhold trying to breathe through their skin'!! :lol:
  • HELLO!

Can't remember who asked earlier about the FCN calc on that UFO but you can work it out from here: http://www.citrusskies.co.uk/fcn/

Bit annoying that, you put "citrus skies fcn" into the almighty google and it directs you to that thread on the cake stop as opposed to this! For jeebus heck sake I'm sure we mention FCN far more on here!!!

Anyhow back OT (for a change!) not sure about Friday, might be able to do it but I'll probably be sans bike again as I haven't yet figured out my route to the training place I'm at this week (up near White City and round the corner from the Heart/Galaxy/LBC building!)
    Would have to give Richmond a miss tho as I'm hoping to do a local fun ride with the eldest SCRer in training......
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    First scalp in a long time today, 1. because there really are not that many people out when im out and 2. at my size its hard to overtake anyone lol, It felt great though, However upon hitting a set of traffic lights he over took me by RLJ'ing, Still a scalp ?

The wind of the way home was a killer, Im am on 262 Miles now (9 weeks)

Hope we all had a safe one today.
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.