Marmotte

1234568»

Comments

• ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    Bronzie wrote:
    I think Christine Muller Seiller was first woman - no 92 - 7:12:10 - 170th overall. Carol Rasmussen was actually 3rd woman. Your right about the smile though :wink:

1299884_Screen.jpg

I remember Rasmussen from the Vaujany a few years ago. Small but very powerful rider. I had dropped her on the climb up to Villard-Reculas (at about halfway) and got into a good group to descend the Col Sarenne and the road toward the finish. But she caught us on the final climb to Vaujany: I looked down from a hairpin corner to another one below and saw her charging up the climb with a line of guys trying (and mostly failing) to hang on to her wheel. By the time she caught me there was nobody with her and I wasn't really able to follow her speed at first (she got 50 metres on me and I clawed back 40 by the finish line).
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    Vertigo! it was only 700+feet :shock:
    I wonder if a quick whisky would help?? :idea:
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    APIII wrote:
    I remember a Marmotte event a few years ago, and watching a cyclist from Belgium jump in a car with about five kilometres to the Galiiber, and then seeing him get dropped off near the top of the Col. And another time, a guy hanging onto a car on the Alpe d'Huez to get a free ride for a few hundred metres.

It's kind of like playing golf and telling everybody that you took five when you know you took six on a hole.

I may not have been first, but I have the satisfaction that I made it around a course like that and it was my body that got me around with water, energy drink and a few bananas.

Russell
    www.grenoblecycling.com

Quite right. I saw someone hanging onto a Renault Espace near the top of the Galib. What's the point? :?

Their egos have got the better of them - they're only cheating themselves. Sad people.
  • agnello
    agnello Posts: 239
    vermooten wrote:
    I don't get vertigo, just start to get a mini-panic attack when I see the whole world below me. Even descending from Alpe D'Huez sh*ts me up at that point when you suddenly see Bourg - something is telling me I can fall all that way down if I'm not careful even though the evidence does not support that. Mozart eh.

I have no confidence problems descending.

My front tyre/tube appears to however.

I suspect I wiil be more circumspect in future though... He says as his scabs itch away.
    Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    Eddy Merckx Strada
    Gios Compact KK
    Raleigh Dynatech Diablo
    Canyon CF CLX / Record
    Charge Plug 3
    Kinesis GF Ti disc - WIP...
  • mark_d
    mark_d Posts: 61
    When does registration for 2009 open?
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    mark_d wrote:
    When does registration for 2009 open?
    1st January I think - if you go for it, don't forget to book accomodation, flights and transfers asap as it fills quickly with 6,000 riders in the area
  • mark_d
    mark_d Posts: 61
    1st January I think - if you go for it, don't forget to book accommodation, flights and transfers asap as it fills quickly with 6,000 riders in the area

Mm. I rode this year and registered in March. We booked accommodation through the ADH tourist office and trains on eurostar.com without too much trouble but the earlier the better. Early registration also means low start numbers and quieter roads!

I finished this year in 8:38, 9m outside gold, Looking back I think I spent about 30m stopped -- next year I'll be prepared, carrying enough to skip the first (heaving) stop. Goal for next year is 7:45. I'd better do some training!
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    Some where still registering the day before in Alpe d'Huez...
    Rich
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    Just reporting in, alive and well.

12hrs 36mins but I got round this time, and that was my target.

Very emotional ride.
    Half man, Half bike
  • Things have improved a lot these days with the Marmotte so I think it matters a little less when you sign up. A few years ago, once the depart was given, if it took you 50 minutes to cross the line, then this was lost time. However, now with the timing chips that we're wearing, they track you over the day. As soon as you pass over the start line, you timer starts. I didn't pass the start until 7:55, but I can see that they took this into account.

If you expect to stay with the guys at the front, then you have benefit to in or near the front group, but for most people, wherever you start will be fine.

Russell
    www.grenoblecycling.com
  • tonyscp wrote:
    Anyway, a great day and I'll probably be back next year to show the Galibier who's boss.
    That'll be the Galibier then :D

The time I rode in the 2006 Marmotte (and first time I rode the Galibier), it seemed really not too bad at all. I found myself smiling and having far too much fun on the slog from Plan Lachat. In 2007's Marmote, the weather was hotter. That same section of road was one long stream of cyclists crawling along with no trace of enjoyment on their faces. I was not smiling. One problem was that I knew where the summit was. So I could tell how far I had to go.

Didn't do the Marmotte this year and missed it a lot :? I intend to do it again next year.
  • Mark Alexander
    Things have improved a lot these days with the Marmotte so I think it matters a little less when you sign up. A few years ago, once the depart was given, if it took you 50 minutes to cross the line, then this was lost time. However, now with the timing chips that we're wearing, they track you over the day. As soon as you pass over the start line, you timer starts. I didn't pass the start until 7:55, but I can see that they took this into account.
    If you expect to stay with the guys at the front, then you have benefit to in or near the front group, but for most people, wherever you start will be fine.

Russell
    www.grenoblecycling.com

Don't forget the 1800 cutoff that they don't tell you about in theory, if you start at 0800 and you're 30+ you have 120 hrs to finish but the silver time is 10h 35.
    my ride time was 10h 34 but lost time stopped which I could have lost easily.

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • tonyscp
    tonyscp Posts: 111
    tonyscp wrote:
    Anyway, a great day and I'll probably be back next year to show the Galibier who's boss.

That'll be the Galibier then :D

You're probably right. What I should have said was that I'll be back next year and respectfully ask the Galibier to treat me a little more kindly. :wink:
  • ridgerider
    The gradient from the Valloire food stop to the end of the valley surprised me this year, I remembered it at being a bit flatter. It took me 3 hrs from the timing mat in the town to the top of the Galibier...although I blame my long lunch break building up my courage to take on the monster!
    Half man, Half bike
  • Luckily my wife is expecting in October so I won't be doing it next year as I suspect nappies and such like will take precedence over cycling. However, now that the full horror is starting to dim.....perhaps I'll think about it in 2009. This time aiming to cycle all of it rather than taking an age to walk the 2nd half of the Alpe and recording 11h 52' - I wasn't on a 'time' anyway I found myself going well on the lower bit of the Alpe, but blew up at hairpin 12 and couldn't get going again, lots of sitting, wobbling, walking and mental torture after that. Took 2h 27' to get up it. 5 years ago I did 1h 3' up it.

Also, note to self and a word of warning to others: don't use Graham Baxter/Sporting Tours. Under impressed.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Anyone know the 2009 Marmotte date?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • ridgerider
    It seems to be the first or second Saturday in July, usually the first.
    Half man, Half bike
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Just in case you dont know: go here and enter your ride number and you will get splits for the ride..

http://www.la-marmotte.org/
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • Mark Alexander
    Luckily my wife is expecting in October so I won't be doing it next year as I suspect nappies and such like will take precedence over cycling. However, now that the full horror is starting to dim.....perhaps I'll think about it in 2009. This time aiming to cycle all of it rather than taking an age to walk the 2nd half of the Alpe and recording 11h 52' - I wasn't on a 'time' anyway I found myself going well on the lower bit of the Alpe, but blew up at hairpin 12 and couldn't get going again, lots of sitting, wobbling, walking and mental torture after that. Took 2h 27' to get up it. 5 years ago I did 1h 3' up it.

Also, note to self and a word of warning to others: don't use Graham Baxter/Sporting Tours. Under impressed.

I agree with you they weren't too great as quite a few people mentioned in the hotel.
    what number were you stephen?

• vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    Google StreetView has now been done for the road to Alpe D'Huez. I suffered Vietnam-style flashbacks when I saw it.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Please tell me it's not the first weekend in July next year - I really want to do a UK event that's on then.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283

Can somebody recommend a good tour company that does the Marmotte ride?

Thanks.
  • Mark Alexander
    Quite a few people commented that the 'flat' section to the foot of Galibier was slow going and it felt like an up hill before the up hill.

• coulcher
    coulcher Posts: 95
    maander wrote:

Thanks.

Maander - You don't really need a tour company for Marmotte.

Entry is very cheap, easy and direct through the website.
    Unlike Etape, start/finish are very close together so travel & accommodation logistics are simplified to getting to/from Bourg area and finding somewhere to stay. Most people don't seem to have a problem getting a place to stay on the Alpe or one of the many campsites. Drive from Grenoble (1 1/2hrs) or Lyon (2hrs) airports.

However, I can thoroughly recommend Guy & Helen at kingofthemountains.com who will look after you very well for the duration and can pick you up from airport. I've stayed with them the past 3 years for long training weekends prior to Etape/Marmotte. You'll have to sort Marmotte entry but they'll help you with everything else and be atop Galibier to provide you with a sarnie or a Red Bull in my case. They can actually do a whole supported ride of the Marmotte route with you for training/pleasure.....
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    maander wrote:

Thanks.

I went with Alpcycles, and would recommend them to anyone planning on doing the Marmotte. They really look after you, make sure you're fed and watered throughout the stay. On hand with plenty of advice regarding the route, etc and best of all no single supplement, which was a bonus. As has been noted, you don't really need to go with a company, but it does take away a lot of the hassle and worry, particularly if it is your first time doing the event.
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Ditto above re using King of the Mountains for the event or pre-event training (or just a great place to stay even if not a cyclist).
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • FYI Mark...I was 3557. What about you?

I'm not sure I'd stay at the top of the Alpe again either as it makes for a slightly earlier and chillier start to the day. And I'd fly into Grenoble. And I'd stay for a week and do the other events. And I'd train with a bit more focus and not do so many UK sportives in the run up. And I'd not stop at the top of the Glandon in the 3,000 strong melee .. and...and...and...

I know what you mean Vermooten about the google earth pics. The 2nd half of the Alpe was 6.5km of hell for me and it's bringing it back.
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    maander wrote:

Thanks.

I arranged through Veloventoux and they will be going to La Marmotte again next year. Done lots with them.
    You can be as flexible as you like regarding duration, transport (flight/train/car), numbers etc, plus can combine with a ride up the giant of provence if the jelly that was once your legs can cope. Worth e-mailing them your rough plan.
    Craig himself is also threatening to not ride it ever again, which could be to your benefit as he'll be Directeur Sportive next time and will probably man an additional arrêt ravitaillement somewhere high up on the Galibier.
  • rasmussen
    rasmussen Posts: 1
    bahzob wrote:
    Bronzie wrote:

I note that Bert Dekker who was 2nd on the Marmotte was also 2nd in the Grimpeur with a 45min climb - the eternal 2nd!!

Actually he also got quite a few firsts. Along with the Marmotte and Grimpe there were a couple of events the previous week all making up the "Trophee D'Oisans".

The first was the Vaujany sportive (175km, but a mere 4400m, of climbing, last 4km at 10%) which Bert won in 5:41, 9 minutes clear of next rider.

Second was something called the Grandes Rousse which starts at the bottom of ADH, goes right to the top (so higher than the Marmotte finish) then back down to turn 6, across to Villard Reculans, big descent then a climb to Vaujany le Collet. This is a mere 6km at 10%. All in all its 41km long but has 1800m of climbing. Bert won this in an incredible 1:37!

Naturally he also won the Trophee D'Oisans which added up times for all 4 events
    http://www.la-marmotte.info/resultats/oisans2008.pdf by a mere 42 minutes..

I did not manage quite as well but just snuck ahead of the first lady, who was a quite delightful great Dane called Carol Rasmussen who also won my prize for biggest smile of the weekend.

Dear bahzob and Bronzie

Thank youfor the roses. I was very happy about my third place - have trained hard for this. And I am still smiling.

Carol Rasmussen :lol::lol: