Marmotte

Comments

• oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Hope I go OK.
    My prep was going good, decent time in CGF (gold if I ignore 40 minute wait for kind chap to give me inner tube) gold in Tour of Pembroke and under 6 hours for dragon.
    Then last weekend in a race I crashed due to a muppet rider pulling into my front wheel :D
    Gravel rash healing nicely but boy is the bruising hurting so not been on bike all week. I hope to get on bike for couple of long rides on weekend, then rest until wednesdays flight.
    Keep an eye out for me and say hello:
    th_mje88426.jpg
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    I'm in the queue at the ferry terminal in Dover, got a 580 mile drive ahead of me, just discovered my car radio's not working. Bugger.

Good luck everyone!!
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    Should you do it on 0 miles training.

So far this year i've ridden the best part of 130hrs and 2,700 miles inc a 100TT and the Dragon ride. I'm concerned that i'm not ready for my first alps ride. :shock:
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • What is this - the "I'm just like Contador" thread??!!!! Or is this forum turning into a typical group ride where we all claim we've not done any miles, had a cold, been away, had to work late, been doing DIY, had to look after the kids, got a squeaky bottom bracket, the rear brake is rubbing etc etc....when we've all be secretly training like bustards?
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    ok then...I had to walk up the Galibier and failed to do the final climb in 2005. I vowed then to...

Buy a bigger cassette - done
    Train more - done an extra 1500 commuting miles this time round
    Loose some weight - seems to have happened, everyone says I look thin

I am going to eat and drink more on the ride than last time.

The rest of you EAT MY DUST...(and give me a push as you go past :oops: )
    Half man, Half bike
  • barrybridges
    barrybridges Posts: 420
    What is this - the "I'm just like Contador" thread??!!!! Or is this forum turning into a typical group ride where we all claim we've not done any miles, had a cold, been away, had to work late, been doing DIY, had to look after the kids, got a squeaky bottom bracket, the rear brake is rubbing etc etc....when we've all be secretly training like bustards?

Haha!

Yes, very true!

This reminds me of school before exams when other people would say 'Oh, I haven't done any revision', only for them to subsequently thrash you.

Where are other people staying?
  • Oh, I haven't anywhere to sleep, I'll probably have to lie on rocks overnight in the open air. What with that and no breakfast and all the training I haven't done...........
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    I plan to purchase my bike this weekend. What's a good one for the Marmotte ?
  • craigenty
    craigenty Posts: 960
    le patron wrote:

The bike shop in Bourg opens at 6am so you could just turn up a week Saturday and hire one.

Craig
  • To make it a little tougher, I plan to not put any air in my tyres....

As for a bike, triple chainset or compact, and two water bottles and you're set.

Russell
    www.grenoblecycling.com
  • coulcher
    coulcher Posts: 95
    Le Patron - I'd wait until Friday afternoon to pick up a last minute Marmotte special discount in one of Bourg's bike shops. That will give you the evening to get used to it.....

We're staying in a Gite in La Danchere near Venosc. Driving down on Saturday and picking up wife & baby at Lyon airport Sunday night. Thought a 2 day drive wouldn't go down well with a 7 month pregnant wife & 18 month old.

I'll probably be climbing Galibier on Monday so might see some of you. I'll have St George Cross socks on!

Dan
  • Mark Alexander
    le patron wrote:
    Leaving it a bit late aren't you? :shock:

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • Mark Alexander
    The BBC say it's getting HOTTER!!!
    i's going to be 91 on Tuesday in Grenoble :shock:

• ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    It'll be fine on the circuit until you reach the foot of Alpe d'Huez: a south-facing climb in mid-afternoon heat – nice!
  • ridgerider
    All the weather stations I am following are saying thunderstorms on Thursday/Friday, with Saturday being a bit cooler than 31 degrees!

I'll take that...
    Half man, Half bike
  • ridgerider
    Sorry, what I meant to say was...

Weather sounds just about right for my tweed jacket and plus 4s. Might have to role my sleeves up on the climbs though.
    Half man, Half bike
  • agnello
    agnello Posts: 239
    I did the Glandon today - it was harder than I anticipated. I did Sestriere yesterday though so I think the body is saying
    chill
    eat cheese and ham
    and pasta
    put the bike away it's too late now anyway

Like a true mad dog I set off at Midday - I can tell you it is hot! The tarmac was a bit sticky and chewed up on the bends on the way down, Can't say I noticed on the way up! The thing with the Glandon is that it has 2 downhill sections on the way up. Good for foxing any rhythm I had.

Prepare for all weather as I was out on the mountain bike 2 days ago sweating like a glassblower's intimate bits and then it hailed garden peas and turned into a thunderstorm.

My incling is that it will be a hot one come next saturday.

P.S the espresso on top of the Glandon in the cafe is rubbish.
    Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    Eddy Merckx Strada
    Gios Compact KK
    Raleigh Dynatech Diablo
    Canyon CF CLX / Record
    Charge Plug 3
    Kinesis GF Ti disc - WIP...
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    agnello wrote:
    P.S the espresso on top of the Glandon in the cafe is rubbish.
    I shan't stop then :P

Good luck one and all................see you at the top of the Alpe

Bon chance!!
    Bronzie
  • agnello
    they're predicting temps of 12-20 (depending on altitude) and a few mm of rain so may be just about perfect
    Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    Eddy Merckx Strada
    Gios Compact KK
    Raleigh Dynatech Diablo
    Canyon CF CLX / Record
    Charge Plug 3
  • agnello wrote:
    they're predicting temps of 12-20 (depending on altitude) and a few mm of rain so may be just about perfect

http://www.meteo-grenoble.com/previsions.php

Lol, is that really perfect. Thankfully the local website is predicting 27 to 29 degrees and sunshine in Grenoble so fingers crossed. Having descended Galibier in rain, it's a lot nicer without it.

Russell
    www.grenoblecycling.com
  • agnello
    presumably the tacit location in your user name confers the right to patronise.
    I said a few mms
    i've climbed the galibier in 30 degrees and that has its own brand of discomfort.

i am sensitive mind.

you can go back to 'LOL'ing at all the idiots now
    Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    Eddy Merckx Strada
    Gios Compact KK
    Raleigh Dynatech Diablo
    Canyon CF CLX / Record
    Charge Plug 3
  • I've been on the forum for a while and only try and give help and advice where possible.

http://www.grenoblecycling.com/2002-July.htm

I rode the Marmotte in 2001 and 2002 with a few mm of rain, and the comment made me chuckle....that's all.

Russell
    www.grenoblecycling.com
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,452
    agnello wrote:
    presumably the tacit location in your user name confers the right to patronise.
    I said a few mms
    i've climbed the galibier in 30 degrees and that has its own brand of discomfort.

i am sensitive mind.

you can go back to 'LOL'ing at all the idiots now
    I've done the Marmotte in 25 degree sunshine and 5 degree rain. I know which I'd prefer.
  • sparkymcm
    sparkymcm Posts: 5
    the forecast has changes since this morning.

first thing today they were forecasting rain in the afternoon, now they are saying sun and clouds with max 20 at Alpe D'Huez.

ps - they is meteo.fr
  • sparkymcm
    sparkymcm Posts: 5
    agnello wrote:

http://www.meteo-grenoble.com/previsions.php

Lol, is that really perfect. Thankfully the local website is predicting 27 to 29 degrees and sunshine in Grenoble so fingers crossed. Having descended Galibier in rain, it's a lot nicer without it.

Russell
    www.grenoblecycling.com

so the marmotte is in grenoble now?
  • Last Saturday I rode for 150km into the hills behind Nice. The weather was extremely hot which is why I went out. To get used to it for this weekend. As it was so hot I just wore a top and carried nothing else. On the last small climb I was amazed to hear thunder rumbling in the hills. Reaching the top I look across towards Castalline where the sky was black clouds and lightning strikes. Needless to say I got back in double quick time! No I didn't get caught by the rain but I do know that the weather in the Alpes and surrounding hills can change unpredictably. Even if the forecast says sun all day, I will still take a waterproof top, if I can a Gillette as well.

Meteo.fr is showing a lot of rain clouds in the area for Saturday afternoon. :?

That can change of course. One way or the other.
  • Mark Alexander
    today I bought myself a welsh bandana to wear. I was on the Taff trail on my way back and some bugger stepped out forced me into a steel post and sent me flying. All ok, the bike didn't have a scratch just a twisted saddle.

• sparkymcm wrote:
    so the marmotte is in grenoble now?

It's the local event that everybody knows about like the BRA, and brings the out non-cyclists out to attempt a feat that they can talk about over the campfire.

Alpe d'Huez is over the Belledonne mountains behind the city, so 16 miles as the crows flies. We can get an idea for the weather nearby by checking Grenoble weather, and taking off a few degrees for the altitude.

In the summer, we often start the day with a clear, blue sky, before the clouds form over the mountains and then electrical storms.

Russell
    www.grenoblecycling.com
  • Mark Alexander
    So, only a non-cyclist would consider a challenge...
    right. :lol:

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    if I can a Gillette as well.

What do you need a razor for?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr