Marmotte

Comments

• vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    Aiming for gold which is 9h15m for my age group. Missed it by a MFing 17 minutes last year.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,452
    bahzob wrote:
    I'll be trying to get under 7:30. Got lowish 1002 so hopefully will at least start quickly..
    When I last rode in 2006 I had a low number (636) and was surprised to see that the pen I was in was something like 500-2500. I arrived at the start at about 0615 and managed, without much difficulty, to get a position 2 rows back from the front of that pen. Once the first 500 had started we were away and had a great run down to Allemont.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    I have recieved my confirmation letter, which lists me as a Randonneur.

I believe that this is because I have yet to submit a medical certificate.

Is it possible to upgrade from Randonneur at registration by showing a medical certificate?

What are the main differences between Randonneur & Full ebntry?

Many thanks.
    Rich
  • vermooten
    RichA wrote:
    Is it possible to upgrade from Randonneur at registration by showing a medical certificate?
    I believe so, yes. I took a photo of mine on my phone and emailed to to them, the upgrade from Randonneur occured 2 days later.
    RichA wrote:
    I think you don't get to use a timing chip, but someone else might know more than me about this.

Manchester Wheelers
  • craigenty
    craigenty Posts: 960
    RichA wrote:
    I have recieved my confirmation letter, which lists me as a Randonneur.

Many thanks.

If you win it won't count :lol:
  • richa
    craigenty wrote:
    If you win it won't count :lol:
    Will I not be allowed on the podium?
    :lol:
    Rich
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    leg warmers or knee warmers
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • Vermooten, what time did you do for the FWC? I'm trying to judge what my likely suffering will be on the Marmotte.
  • richa
    leg warmers or knee warmers
    The weather is 33 deg C out there at the moment !!!
    Rich
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Someone has suggested to me using old ladies pantyhose as disposable leg warmers. Good idea or is he having a laugh?
  • vermooten
    edited June 2008
    Vermooten, what time did you do for the FWC? I'm trying to judge what my likely suffering will be on the Marmotte.
    7h59m48s

I suffered more on this year's Fred than I did in the Marmotte last year, but the climb of Alpe D'Huez in the Marmotte was harder than anything ever. See the Fred was hot all day - in the Marmotte, there was snow at the top of Galbier and 42 degrees on the lower third of the climb to Alpe D'Huez, according to Ken Night's bike computer, so that kind of messed a lot of my sh*t up.

42 degrees. After 100 miles and 4000m of climbing.

In short, if you're not suffering to the max on the Marmotte, then you're not doing it right. Good luck!

Manchester Wheelers
  • Mark Alexander
    clanton wrote:
    Someone has suggested to me using old ladies pantyhose as disposable leg warmers. Good idea or is he having a laugh?

Whatever turns you on but I think that should be kept behind closed doors :shock:

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    clanton wrote:

Jockeys apparently wear womens tights under their silks to help them stay warm. It might be 33 deg now but come the day you may face all conditions. I was out there last July (2nd) and the summit on the Galibier was closed due to snow and at Alpe d'Huez, the temp was heading to 30 deg C. Remember you are starting early so it may be cold but you are going to approx 2700m so you need to carry eqpt. to get you thro' Newspaper is a good insulator and disposable and there are water fountains in all the villages as well as shops (s/market on the left in the centre of Valloire, before the l-hander that takes you to the Galibier)
    M.Rushton
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    I was there recently and the Telegraph was hot, but not boiling (which was nice), the Galibier fine but even with a goretex jacket and arm warmers I got pretty cold on the descent to La Grave when an icy rain-shower opened up. Of course by the alpe it was hot again....

The road from the Lauteret is still in places chaussée déformée and there are cracks and holes in it which can be a little sketchy in the wet with cold hands etc.
    I am not so bothered about weight etc that I need disposable stuff, I'll just use what I normally use, less chance of any issues.

This photo was taken on the 11th June.

DSC07472.jpg
  • Being a first timer I'm not sure what to expect, but it seems that cycling down the Alpe in the morning and standing about in pens at the crack of dawn will make you cold! People have suggested tights (funnily enough this was also an old football trick to keep blisters at bay), those disposable boiler suits from screwfix, an old tracksuit etc Basically anything to keep the chill off that you don't mind leaving in Bourg and never seeing again.
  • barrybridges
    barrybridges Posts: 420
    Hello,

Apologies if I'm a latecomer to this thread, but I'd really like your advice.

I'm down to ride la marmotte next week but I'm having a bit of a panic and I'm thinking of pulling out - I want to know whether you think I can do it.

I literally haven't ridden my road bike for 6 months - largely because I have been training for three running marathons this year, but also because I have been busy with work and I haven't been able to combine any cycling around my running. I used to be a pretty decent cyclist when I was younger - top 50 BBAR, 55mins for a 25 - and kept my fitness well though haven't raced since I was a junior. Last year I rode the course of la marmotte over three days of separate rides, so I know what is involved (sheer hell, pain and desperation!) but I also know that without proper training it might be beyond me.

I know it's entirely my fault, but I'm thinking it might be sensible to pass on la marmotte this year as I have no bike training behind me in the past 6 months, but at the same time I'm thinking 'what if I just gave it a go...'.

I'm 25, fit from the running training I've been doing (last marathon was London in April) but still carrying a few extra kgs. I'm just starting to panic a bit. I reckon I've could get on the bike tomorrow and do a solid 90 - 100 mile ride with the right nutrition and on flat roads, but I know what the Galibier is like and it's defeated me before even with training (actually, oddly I found the telegraph harder than the Galbier itself).

What do you think? Sensible to skip it, or should I give it a go?

Part of me is thinking I'll start it but turn around at the top of the croix de la fer if I'm not feeling it. I'm going to head out for a long ride on Friday to see how my legs feel after such a lot of time off.

Thoughts welcome.
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079
    Just do it! Whats the worst that could happen!?
  • diarmuid
    diarmuid Posts: 73
    Just do it! Whats the worst that could happen!?
    It depends on how much it will cost you to do it now but in principle I would agree. I'd imagine if you did fail to complete, it would be great motivation for next year.
  • barrybridges
    You're not supposed to say these things! ;) You are advocating lunacy!

I'm going to be out there for the week anyway, regardless of whether I do la marmotte or not, I'm just fearing putting my body through hours of hell if I don't think I can finish it. Right now I'm just not sure.

As for 'next year'...doing it twice in a row definitely is madness :)
  • ded
    ded Posts: 120
    I'm going to be out there for the week anyway, regardless of whether I do la marmotte or not, I'm just fearing putting my body through hours of hell if I don't think I can finish it. Right now I'm just not sure.
    I pulled out of this year because I thought I wouldn't be able to finish it (crash injuries meant I couldn't train). Not finishing would have annoyed me immensely! So I'll try again next year. But only you know what effect that would have on you. If you're out there anyway and you have a Marmotte entry, why not skip the main Marmotte and do the "Grimpe d'Alpe" or whatever it's called on the Sunday? Then you'll have an idea of how hard it might have been! Of course, if you romp up that then you'll be forever thinking "what if..." :wink:

Me? I transferred my flights somewhere else entirely so I wouldn't be tempted to try it, or get frustrated watching my training mates doing something I couldn't!
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079
    You're not supposed to say these things! ;) You are advocating lunacy!

As for 'next year'...doing it twice in a row definitely is madness :)

Ah well, if you're out there anyway then definately might aswell. You got someone who can meet you in the car if you're struggling? Often if you've always got in mind a get out plan then you keep going til the end anyway because you know you have that safety net. Good luck...let us know how you get on :wink:
  • barrybridges
    Thanks - I will!

At least I'm hoping to use the week as a good kickstart into training for next season's Surrey League. Box Hill will forever be an Hors category for me ;)

I'll let you know how I get on. I'm probably just being a chicken. I think that I could probably finish it, but it's the doubt that gets at you isn't it? :)
  • DominicB
    DominicB Posts: 15
    BarryBridges,

Here's the thing: you are clearly competititve; you enjoy 'the race day'; you are pretty fit (maybe not 'Marmotte fit', but more than the average bear); you are going out there anyway.

The answer is simple: you have to do it. Anything else would not be doing yourself justice in your mind. Your determination from earlier sporting successes will nesure that you will be able to push yourself hard enough. If you fail, so be it. You will have had great fun trying.

Above all, when you get there and you see the cyclists all training, all the excitement, all the spectacle, you will kick youself if you were not a part of it.

The only difference is that the challenge is slightly different for you. It hurts everyone; if it didn't we wouldn't do it.

Give it a go!
  • barrybridges
    Thanks for all your support! I was expecting you to tell me now to do it...but now I have no excuses not to give it a go.

I'm cycling it with a Scottish friend and a German friend which should make for some interesting competition. I'll let you know how I get on. Planning to stay in Bourg D'Oisans at the excellent little campsite by the river - if you get a chance and are feeling bold I'd definitely recommend taking a quick dip in its glacier-fed waters!!
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    With no bike training I would definately advise against doing it however fit you are from other sports. That is not going to prepare you for the pain of climbing for mile after mike and you will definately cramp up, no doubt.
    It is was me and I was going to be there for the week anyway, I would probably do a lshorter ride and finnish on the Alpe and watch the thousands sufferring on the last climb whilst you will be relatively fresh :D
  • Mark Alexander
    so the temp can fluctuate then lol :lol:

there's a lot more advice here
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/forums/vi ... t=marmotte

• Hello,

Apologies if I'm a latecomer to this thread, but I'd really like your advice.

I'm down to ride la marmotte next week but I'm having a bit of a panic and I'm thinking of pulling out - I want to know whether you think I can do it.

What do you think? Sensible to skip it, or should I give it a go?

Thoughts welcome.

I've ridden the Marmotte five times, from 2000 to 2004, with a best place finish of 105th. The first Marmotte I rode was a learning experience and you can take so much from riding the event. I was stopping every few hundred metres on Galibier, and Alpe d'Huez was even worse. You can learn about eating, descending and find out how your legs are doing at the bottom of the Alpe d'Huez.

My diary from the first year I rode.
    http://www.grenoblecycling.com/2000-July.htm

This year, I have a little over 600 miles in my legs, so I have no grand ideas about riding around the course in seven and a half hours, but I do have the experience which should help me get me around. I won't feel very good at the end, but I think I can make it and have some fun over the day.

If I had a tip, it would be to take it easy on Croix de Fer and Telegraphe, and then push on Galibier and Alpe d'Huez if you have the legs.

I'd say do it, and enjoy a social Marmotte. The views are some of the best in the Alps, and at least we have the summer here now.

Russell
    www.grenoblecycling.com
  • barrybridges
    I think a social marmotte is definitely the way forward. I've taken today off from work and just about to head out on a long ride - going to see how far I can push it to gauge my fitness. Planning a nice little loop from Balcombe >> Brighton >> Newhaven >> Eastbourne and back.

I'll let you know how I get on!
  • barrybridges
    ...and I'm back!

Well, the good news is that the legs are there. I just completed 104 miles, albeit pretty slow - that included Beachy Head too, which I know isn't exactly comparable with anything but a foothill in the Alps! The legs felt a bit empty to start with but got better as the ride went on. A few niggles with the bottom bracket but altogether very encouraging.

It's a nice day out there :)
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    Not when you are commuting home to Eastbourne into the gale this evening.

Sounds like you're ready for the Alps. See you there!
    Half man, Half bike