Marmotte

davedins
davedins Posts: 17
I'm entered for the Mamotte and have got my number etc. We're not doing it through any of the organised tours, however. Trying to translate the French website, it appears I may need a medical certificate. Is this the case and, if so, is it okay to take it with you to the registration or does it need to be submitted in advance?

Thanks

Comments

• clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    You do need a medical certificate and there is one that can be downloaded from the website. I THINk you're supposed to post it to them but I haven't gotten around to doing that yet!
    I HATE that frikking website!
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,451
    You can risk not taking one but I always think how pissed off I'd be if my entry was refused because I didn't have one. They'll ask to see it at registration unless you've already sent it to them. I faxed mine across last time I rode the event and once they'd received it they updated my entry on the website to acknowledge receipt.
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    I went to get mine from my GP today - gonna cost me a tenner, pick it up next week. I could of course just print out a letter and sign it with a fictitious doctor's name but that's just a bit rubbish. When you sign on to the Marmotte you get your things checked out by hassled teenagers, not all of whom speak English.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    I am reliably informed that if you have a BC racing licence, you can copy both sides and send it to them. I sent mine last week so not sure if this will work, but a friend of a friend assures me he did this a few weeks back and his registration is now shown as "complete" on the website. Worth a try rather than hanging around the doctors if you already have a licence.
  • mozwyn69
    mozwyn69 Posts: 170
    Save yourself and tenner and postage and just scribble a note and sign it yourself. Hand it to the 14yr old at registration atop the Alpe the day before the ride. My fella didnt cast it a glance and just folded it away somewhere.
    Sometimes you have to lose yourself
    before you can find anything.
  • genki
    genki Posts: 305
    Bronzie wrote:
    I am reliably informed that if you have a BC racing licence, you can copy both sides and send it to them. I sent mine last week so not sure if this will work, but a friend of a friend assures me he did this a few weeks back and his registration is now shown as "complete" on the website. Worth a try rather than hanging around the doctors if you already have a licence.

I did this and I think my registration is complete. But if someone reminds me where to check on that website I should be able to verify this.
  • I have to admit that the sportcommunication website is one of the worst websites I know.

Yep, you can bring it with you and hand it to them when you pick up your number etc. That's what I've done in the past when I've needed one.

http://www.la-marmotte.info/GT/certificatgb.pdf

Here's the link on their website. It says you do need a stamp on there to prove it's a real doctors who has filled in the form. I'm not sure how much attention they pay to that.

See you there in July. I'm sure that the Galibier will be open by then.

Cheers, Russell
    www.grenoblecycling.com
  • Bronzie
    genki wrote:
    But if someone reminds me where to check on that website I should be able to verify this.
    1. Open the link http://www.sportcommunication.com/GT/index.php?langue=1
    2. Click on "Rechercher" to left
    3. Enter your surname in the "Nom" box and first name in "Prenom" and then click "Rechercher"
    4. Click on the rider registration number to the left of your name
    5. Enter your date of birth (security)
    6. This brings up your own personal records
    7. Click on "Inscription"
    8. Click on the pdf symbol to the right of your category
    9. This brings up your confirmation of registration for the event - if it says "votre inscription est incomplete" it means they still need you med cert or racing licence

Not that it's long winded or anything :roll:
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    Bronzie wrote:
    genki wrote:
    But if someone reminds me where to check on that website I should be able to verify this.
    1. Open the link http://www.sportcommunication.com/GT/index.php?langue=1
    2. Click on "Rechercher" to left
    3. Enter your surname in the "Nom" box and first name in "Prenom" and then click "Rechercher"
    4. Click on the rider registration number to the left of your name
    5. Enter your date of birth (security)
    6. This brings up your own personal records
    7. Click on "Inscription"
    8. Click on the pdf symbol to the right of your category
    9. This brings up your confirmation of registration for the event - if it says "votre inscription est incomplete" it means they still need you med cert or racing licence

Not that it's long winded or anything :roll:

Thanks guys, wow, that was close :shock: I have just called Spourtingtours and they are emailing me the forms. I checked the site :roll: long winded is an understatement!
    I am incomplete too!
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    edited June 2008
    I scanned both sides of my BC license and e-mailed them. I have changed from a randonneur and now is says 'Votre inscription est complète'.

I think it also tells you on the left, between steps 7 and 8, if there have been any changes to your profile/inscription.

I guess you can also e-mail them a scanned medical form.
  • craigenty
    craigenty Posts: 960
    The entry system needs a shake up!

I've done two Sportcommunication Grand Trophee events already this year and haven't been asked for a licence / med certificate yet. La Ventoux on Saturday will be my 3rd and La Marmotte will be the 4th

Both my confirmation letters for these events have said "incomplete" yet I can't work out what the difference is becuse my results are up on the website.

I'd still say bring a certificate or a BC licence because the day you don't is the day you'll get asked for it.
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    craigenty wrote:
    The entry system needs a shake up!

I've done two Sportcommunication Grand Trophee events already this year and haven't been asked for a licence / med certificate yet. La Ventoux on Saturday will be my 3rd and La Marmotte will be the 4th

Both my confirmation letters for these events have said "incomplete" yet I can't work out what the difference is becuse my results are up on the website.

I'd still say bring a certificate or a BC licence because the day you don't is the day you'll get asked for it.

I was told once you've done 4 Sportcommunication events, you own your chip. Mine was given to me last year, and I believe it's this that exempts you from having to produce the certificate/licence
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • genki
    genki Posts: 305
    le patron wrote:
    I scanned both sides of my BC license and e-mailed them. I have changed from a randonneur and now is says 'Votre inscription est complète'.

Yup, that's what mine says now, having scanned and posted them a copy of my BC licence but I'll take the licence with me just in case. Last time I asked the doctor to sign a mdical certificate he charged me £20.
  • davedins
    davedins Posts: 17
    Thanks for the help. Luckily I have a GP for a sister-in-law. Hopefully she will sign it in lieu of a Christmas present!!
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    I am going through company called King of the Mountains (UK family living near ADH) who sent me PDF. (PS recommended as being very friendly and quick to reply to questions with helpful local knowledge).

Ignorance being bliss and not knowing even a chance of being asked to pay made an appointment with GP this morning. Had blood pressure and HR checked + quick chat about how Highclere went this yesterday and cyclists tans and she duly signed/stamped form.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    bahzob wrote:
    I am going through company called King of the Mountains (UK family living near ADH) who sent me PDF. (PS recommended as being very friendly and quick to reply to questions with helpful local knowledge).
    Yes they are! They have a place near Ornon, extremely nice people, especially 2 km from the top of Galibier when they're handing out bidons. And I have to add that someone standing very near them - maybe part of the same group? - lifted up her top at the passing riders. Seriously. I got an eyeful. Just the job.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • craigenty
    craigenty Posts: 960
    bahzob wrote:

You'll have a fantastic time with Guy and Helyn.

Craig
  • Ken Night
    vermooten wrote:
    bahzob wrote:
    I And I have to add that someone standing very near them - maybe part of the same group? - lifted up her top at the passing riders. Seriously. I got an eyeful. Just the job.
    ......Andy got melons.....all I got were some quarters of orange handed out by the very nice KOM people. Probably of more use to me at that stage too
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • zoomcp
    zoomcp Posts: 975
    vermooten wrote:
    bahzob wrote:
    Yes they are! They have a place near Ornon, extremely nice people, especially 2 km from the top of Galibier when they're handing out bidons.

oh so that's who they were; I saw their van in 2006 and assumed they were supporting a rider. They copped my East Grinstead top and shouted encouragement.
  • coulcher
    coulcher Posts: 95
    More praise for Guy & Helyn. Lovely couple who we've stayed with 3 times for Etape/Marmotte training. I was grateful for the sandwich on Galibier last year but sadly missed Vermooten's experience.....
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie wrote:
    I am reliably informed that if you have a BC racing licence, you can copy both sides and send it to them. I sent mine last week so not sure if this will work
    I am now "complete" so it does work 8)

Less than 4 weeks to go!! :shock:
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Bronzie wrote:
    Bronzie wrote:
    I am reliably informed that if you have a BC racing licence, you can copy both sides and send it to them. I sent mine last week so not sure if this will work
    I am now "complete" so it does work 8)

Less than 4 weeks to go!! :shock:
    How did you check your status?
    I am taking my bcf licence.
  • Mark Alexander
    not long to go now. I'm going to the doctor today to get my certificate signed. I'm taking some results sheets with me to help

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • Bronzie
    I'm taking some results sheets with me to help
    Race results, blood test results, drugs test results :?: We deserve the truth :wink:

Welshie, see my instructions on the first page on how to check status - if you haven't sent them anything you'll still be "incomplete"
  • Mark Alexander
    I did check and I am incomplete (just like my damn training :?)

race results... slow
    blood results... 8 pints and it's red
    drugs test.... only beer :wink:

• Jaguar.
    Jaguar. Posts: 51
    davedins wrote:
    I'm entered for the Mamotte and have got my number etc. We're not doing it through any of the organised tours, however. Trying to translate the French website, it appears I may need a medical certificate. Is this the case and, if so, is it okay to take it with you to the registration or does it need to be submitted in advance?

You've got a few options...

1) Get a medical certificate from a GP.
    2) Do you own as has been suggested, that's obviously fraud though!
    3) Take a race license (provisional will do).
    4) Don't bother with any of the above.

4 is the most amusing, you're still allowed to ride, you still get a chip, you still get a published time and you still get a published position in the results sheet but you ride as a 'randonneur' , hiker quiite literally translated, and if you win you won't be recognised so if you think you're in with a chance of a top slot, don't do it!

Any of the above can be presented at registration or posted in advance.
  • oldwelshman
    Bronzie wrote:
    I'm taking some results sheets with me to help
    Race results, blood test results, drugs test results :?: We deserve the truth :wink:

Welshie, see my instructions on the first page on how to check status - if you haven't sent them anything you'll still be "incomplete"

I have an X so guess I am not complete so will take my licence.
    Bronzie, what time you heading off on the dragon?
    I am going down friday and doing track on the saturday, they have an open session from 4 until 8 for £1.
    How many of you riding? I have done last two sportives alone so don't fancy another 100mile+ ride alone!! I promise to do a bit on the front, and JIm will :-)
  • Ken Night
    How many of you riding? I have done last two sportives alone so don't fancy another 100mile+ ride alone!! I promise to do a bit on the front, and JIm will :-)
    Not sure I could live with you guys, hoping to be able to get near gold and I'd like to meet up, with some of these names I keep seeing-Bronzie/bahzob/oldW/Mark A etc

I plan to start off at around 8.20am-four of us wearing the kit on the left...ask for me if you see one
  • zoomcp
    zoomcp Posts: 975
    I never rode it in 2006 as they never got my medical certificate; the photo of me at the last hairpin of AdH is fake :wink:

There seems to be a French rule that if you don't submit a certificate you get classified as a cyclotouriste by default. They won't stop you riding your result just won't get published (but you will be given it)
  • oldwelshman
    Hi Ken.
    I might be there for 8:20 so may see you there, Bronzie is unmissable in the crappy cc luton kit urghh :lol:
    Not sure how my legs will be as I did 40 today and legs still sore after Tour of Pembroke.
    Will go out easy tomorrow again and I am doing 4 hours on velodrom saturday so you may beat me up the bwlch which is not far from the start. I may take abiout 50 miles to warm up same as last year :D