Marmotte

Comments

• le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    http://www.la-marmotte.org/index.php

Guys, you can now check out your intermediate times around the course now on the Sport Communication website.

Number 6023, and I can see that I left at 7:55 and looks like I took 1:13 to climb the Alpe d'Huez.

Cheers, Russell
    www.grenoblecycling.com

I think the commissaires should take a closer look at Antonio Corradini's "results". He seems to have no splits until the alpe. I suspect that after the start he skulked around bourg for a few hours and then rode up the alpe. :lol:
  • genki
    genki Posts: 305
    Not as suspicious as 3312, the fastest of the later starters. One of the slowest up the Glandon and the Alpe, yet still managed to finish 11th. That means he went from the Top of the Glandon to the bottom of ADH in just over 2hrs. I wonder which route he took :?

1:07 for me on the Alpe. I'm happy with that since it took me 1:24 on it 2 years ago finishing the Etape and I felt even more knackered this time.
  • guv001
    guv001 Posts: 688
    I have got to give this ago next year...great tales from all and well done to all that did it.
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    guv001 wrote:
    I have got to give this ago next year...great tales from all and well done to all that did it.
    Yes you MUST! A life-changing experience.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    agnello wrote:
    I did a 9:20

Not bad as my front tyre exploded off the rim near the top of the glandon descent.

...unless i do it next year i suppose.... 8)
    That's an awesome ride given the stack - unfinished business methinks? :wink:
    Glad you are still with us - the descent off the Glandon is extremely technical and potentially fatal.
  • Bronzie
    See, there you go again fellas - Le Patron claiming hell on earth but doing a time with 8 hours in it!!! If anyone else posts such stuff they'd better attach a training plan....................
    Just 'cos he did 8 hrs didn't mean it didn't hurt - I know of an elite rider who finished top 10 a couple of years back just over 6 hours - he says it was the hardest thing he's ever done, and he's hard as nails.

Fact is if you finished, no matter what the time, that is an achievement in itself. Chapeau.
  • vermooten
    Indeed - who was it who said that, as you become a better cyclist, it never stops hurting, you just get faster? Millar maybe.

Manchester Wheelers
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    Wow, I've just taken a look at my split times.

at start Bourg it was 7.31
    at Glandon it was 2.17 (2.17)
    at Valloire it was 6.02 (3h 45)
    at Galibier it was 8.50 (2h 47)
    my clock said 18.09 at Bourg.

Christ I wasted some time :evil:
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • vermooten
    Have they ever used the Marmotte route in the Tour? Would they, or is it too tough for those nancy-boy pro riders?

Manchester Wheelers
  • grimpeur
    grimpeur Posts: 230
    1998 Grenoble - Les Deux Alpes stage was similar, the etape also did the route that year.

That is actually nearly tougher as the drag up from Grenoble past Vizelle before the turn to Allemond is quite a long one.

You could also give the Brevet de Randonneur des Alpes a go which is held every other year and is similar to the Marmotte but starting and finishing in Grenoble, hence no uphill slog at the finish.

http://www.ctg.free.fr/Nos-organisations/BRA/BRA.html
  • Yorkman
    Yorkman Posts: 290
    vermooten wrote:
    Have they ever used the Marmotte route in the Tour? Would they, or is it too tough for those nancy-boy pro riders?

Stage 17 this year goes up Galibier, Croix de Fer and then up the hairpins to the Alpe.

210.5km of a stage, more than 2 weeks after starting.

As Boonen said, you wonder why we dope.
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Just back from the blue skies of France to the grey drizzle that is the UK. Happy to say I pretty much came in on target of 7:30 at 7:34.

I'm knocking up a guide to the Marmotte based on experiences. Will post link here shortly...
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • coulcher
    coulcher Posts: 95
    Yes but they start 200m higher than Bourg on Stage 17 and climb the easier side of Galibier, plus they have lighter bikes, daily massages, no food & drink stop scrums to deal with it. Basically it's too easy for them.......

I was chuffed with my 9:29 finish easily achieving my silver target so now have to up it again and go for gold. A little less faffing about at stops perhaps. Did La Grimpee up the Alpe the next morning with a rather elite looking bunch of 100. Was afraid I'd finish very last by a long way but managed to keep about ten behind me and get a PB of 1hr 8mins! How can I PB the day after the Marmotte? A couple of other chaps at the finish also said they just got their PB and couldn't believe it. I kept wondering if I would cramp or bonk due to everything I'd used up on Marmotte. Must have taken it too easy the day before....

What a great ride that Marmotte is. Respect to Galibier.
  • Bronzie
    coulcher wrote:
    Did La Grimpee up the Alpe the next morning with a rather elite looking bunch of 100. Was afraid I'd finish very last by a long way but managed to keep about ten behind me and get a PB of 1hr 8mins!
    "Forkez moi" as they say in France - I could hardly walk the next day - RESPEK!!

Respect also to Bahzob - that is a very decent time. Top 400 stuff.

I note that Bert Dekker who was 2nd on the Marmotte was also 2nd in the Grimpeur with a 45min climb - the eternal 2nd!!
  • vermooten
    Bronzie wrote:
    "Forkez moi" as they say in France - I could hardly walk the next day - RESPEK!!
    I drove for 17 hours the next day back to Manchester- sounds awful but it was really just sitting in a comfy chair for 17 hours watching a very boring film of the motorways of France and Britain.

Manchester Wheelers
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    genki wrote:
    Not as suspicious as 3312, the fastest of the later starters. One of the slowest up the Glandon and the Alpe, yet still managed to finish 11th. That means he went from the Top of the Glandon to the bottom of ADH in just over 2hrs. I wonder which route he took :?

1:07 for me on the Alpe. I'm happy with that since it took me 1:24 on it 2 years ago finishing the Etape and I felt even more knackered this time.

He must have jumped in a car as he missed 2 splits.
    If genuine he would have had to pass over 5 000 riders to get 11th !! :D
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    vermooten wrote:
    Bronzie wrote:
    I drove for 17 hours the next day back to Manchester- sounds awful but it was really just sitting in a comfy chair for 17 hours watching a very boring film of the motorways of France and Britain.

were you driving solo or sharing the drive? We did 18 hours from pyrenees but did 3 hours each and then swapped - f*** me, it was hard going.
    Well done on your marmotte by the way. I watched the video and the heights would have done me in.
  • vermooten
    Twas a solo effort popette, and I kind of enjoyed it. A failed attempt to stay at an F1 (room stank of smoke) meant that I had no choice but to go for it.

But tell me this, Mrs P: did you ride the Etape? I see posts saying you were a spectator.

Manchester Wheelers
  • I remember a Marmotte event a few years ago, and watching a cyclist from Belgium jump in a car with about five kilometres to the Galiiber, and then seeing him get dropped off near the top of the Col. And another time, a guy hanging onto a car on the Alpe d'Huez to get a free ride for a few hundred metres.

It's kind of like playing golf and telling everybody that you took five when you know you took six on a hole.

I may not have been first, but I have the satisfaction that I made it around a course like that and it was my body that got me around with water, energy drink and a few bananas.

Russell
    www.grenoblecycling.com
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    vermooten wrote:
    Twas a solo effort popette, and I kind of enjoyed it. A failed attempt to stay at an F1 (room stank of smoke) meant that I had no choice but to go for it.

But tell me this, Mrs P: did you ride the Etape? I see posts saying you were a spectator.

I didn't do it. Found out about 3 months ago that i have a heart condition called Atrial Flutter and so couldn't do it as I have to keep my HR below 120. I did have a go at Tourmalet the day before at a very slow pace (about 2.5mph) but even then my HR was going over 250 and at one point it just stopped registering values and with my condition, that could mean that I'm over 300! I managed Alpe D'huez a few weeks ago and kept my HR in the 120s but just couldn't do the Tourmalet.
    I'm on warfarin and in a few weeks, all being well, I should have my heart restarted by an electric shock. 8) Then, I'm going to be motoring.
    I will definitely do it next year - can't wait. Watching it was an amazing experience and I'm really looking forward to being part of it. The marmotte looks really good too - what a challenge to do all those huge climbs in one day. I might go for that one the year after.
  • vermooten
    wowee that's quite a story - and yes you must sort it out and get back up those hills. Good job you found out about it before the Etape huh.

Manchester Wheelers
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I remember a Marmotte event a few years ago, and watching a cyclist from Belgium jump in a car with about five kilometres to the Galiiber, and then seeing him get dropped off near the top of the Col. And another time, a guy hanging onto a car on the Alpe d'Huez to get a free ride for a few hundred metres.

It's kind of like playing golf and telling everybody that you took five when you know you took six on a hole.

I may not have been first, but I have the satisfaction that I made it around a course like that and it was my body that got me around with water, energy drink and a few bananas.

Russell
    www.grenoblecycling.com

Quite right. I saw someone hanging onto a Renault Espace near the top of the Galib. What's the point? :?
  • bahzob
    Bronzie wrote:

I note that Bert Dekker who was 2nd on the Marmotte was also 2nd in the Grimpeur with a 45min climb - the eternal 2nd!!

Actually he also got quite a few firsts. Along with the Marmotte and Grimpe there were a couple of events the previous week all making up the "Trophee D'Oisans".

The first was the Vaujany sportive (175km, but a mere 4400m, of climbing, last 4km at 10%) which Bert won in 5:41, 9 minutes clear of next rider.

Second was something called the Grandes Rousse which starts at the bottom of ADH, goes right to the top (so higher than the Marmotte finish) then back down to turn 6, across to Villard Reculans, big descent then a climb to Vaujany le Collet. This is a mere 6km at 10%. All in all its 41km long but has 1800m of climbing. Bert won this in an incredible 1:37!

Naturally he also won the Trophee D'Oisans which added up times for all 4 events
    http://www.la-marmotte.info/resultats/oisans2008.pdf by a mere 42 minutes..

I did not manage quite as well but just snuck ahead of the first lady, who was a quite delightful great Dane called Carol Rasmussen who also won my prize for biggest smile of the weekend.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • Bronzie
    I think Christine Muller Seiller was first woman - no 92 - 7:12:10 - 170th overall. Carol Rasmussen was actually 3rd woman. Your right about the smile though :wink:

1299884_Screen.jpg
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Sounds llike a great day - must do it next year - a couple of lads in my club rode this year - just over 7 hours and 10 hours respectively - it's the descending that I'd worry about though I may be imagining wrongly that everyone in these events is fearless at high speed descents.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • vermooten
    I may be imagining wrongly that everyone in these events is fearless at high speed descents.
    Not quite everybody... I'm one of the exceptions.

Manchester Wheelers
  • tonyscp
    tonyscp Posts: 111
    Thought I'd add my experience of the day. Given that I turn 50 next month (although for some reason I'm in the 60+ group on the website), I'm well pleased with my time of 8:39:12. All down to acclimatisation I reckon. A friend and I camped in Bourg for a week before the ride, did the Vaujany on the Sunday before and rode round all the Marmotte course, apart from going up the Alpe , on the Wednesday. We also did a few other smaller rides to keep ourselves ticking over - I loved the climb up to Villard Notre Dame out of Bourg that's been talked about at various times (don't forget lights for the tunnels though!). Even though I live in Manchester and ride hills in Derbyshire 3-4 times a week, nothing can really prepare you for the heat, altitude and cols like being there.

The hardest part of the day was the Galibier - I knew I was going to suffer on it and I did, thank god for my granny ring I say unashamedly. The best bit was the descent from the Lautaret and the start of the climb up the Alpe. I'd gotten into a group of 50-60 riders that tore down the valley, turned off the road to the Alpe and then just started climbing. I'd intended to take a rest at the bottom, eat some food and generally steel myself for the ascent. In the end I got so carried away, I managed to climb it in 1 hour 16mins, which I'm amazed at. Anyway, a great day and I'll probably be back next year to show the Galibier who's boss.

Cheers, Tonys
  • Bronzie
    vermooten wrote:
    Not quite everybody... I'm one of the exceptions.
    One of the guys in our group suffered vertigo on the roads with steep drop-offs - he lost 30 mins to me on the descent of the Galibier but then flew up the Alpe. Missed gold because of it.

He tells me Gianni Bugno used to suffer the same thing and managed to cure it with doses of Mozart! Must've worked 'cos Bugno now flies rescue helicopters in the Dolomites.
    http://cozybeehive.blogspot.com/2008/05/bugno.html
  • vermooten
    I don't get vertigo, just start to get a mini-panic attack when I see the whole world below me. Even descending from Alpe D'Huez sh*ts me up at that point when you suddenly see Bourg - something is telling me I can fall all that way down if I'm not careful even though the evidence does not support that. Mozart eh.

Manchester Wheelers
  • bahzob
    Sounds llike a great day - must do it next year - a couple of lads in my club rode this year - just over 7 hours and 10 hours respectively - it's the descending that I'd worry about though I may be imagining wrongly that everyone in these events is fearless at high speed descents.

Definitely not. The descents were what I was least looking forward to. However they turned out to be a lot better than I feared. I think the trick is to find a good, fast but safe descender and follow them. Worked a treat down from the Galibier and I ended up really enjoying the experience.
    Martin S. Newbury RC