broken hip recovery advice needed...............

Comments

• Six months post broken femur neck and DHS screw fixing I am cycling regularly, but not on a road bike. Planning to buy a gravel bike with disc brakes as to me it feels more stable to have wider tyres. Just don't want to fall again.
  • Lots of experience on here then, but I haven`t read all 29 pages yet!
    I had a right acetabular fracture of pelvis in a fall in October. 7 pins and a plate which I am told will stay there. Collar Bone aswell of course, yet to decide if I get fixed, and a very broken helmet which did its job well. Thanks Giro!
    Got ok 2 weeks ago to weight bear, and was off crutches that night. Great to just walk.
    Had 2 turbo sessions this week, only 15 and 20 mins each but its good to be on bike.
    Family seem more worried about me going back out on bike than me, which I can understand. The day it happened was a bit of a shock to them.
    Friend has Fat Bike I can borrow to start with, and I might swap one road bike for cross or mtb eventually!
    Boardman Team Carbon SRAM Red 2010
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Alu Veloce 2011
  • tyskie wrote:
    I don't think a straight fall should break the femur, unless you have weakened bones, and what's the chance of it happening again? :wink:

Came off my bike last June during an audax (I'd been riding about 150 miles a week), when the front wheel went ove a manhole cover on a bend on a steep downhill. Smacked into the road and thought I'd winded myself, tried to stand and felt the broken bone ends move against one another. Spiral fracture of the femur just below the trochanter. Cue 45 minutes lying in the gutter, in the rain, waiting for the ambulance, the ORIF operation to insert the titanium rod (plus two pins and the knee and two ruddy great lag screws into the hip), ten days in Intensive Care, 7 weeks non-weight bearing (by which time my leg muscles were GONE), three months off work, 18 weeks on crutches and seven months in, I'm still not allowed back on the bike as the bone has been slow to heal and the surgeon doesn't want me falling off again. It's left a scar at he hip, at the knee, and one almost the full length of the thigh where he went in to line up the bone and wire it back together prior to nailing.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByzVNqCc6XQYN053c2sxRmhrMzJyZGV1U2lVZmR5SjRrS1Jv

And no bugger to sue, so with all the decent gear I was wearing (second ride only for my £200 Gore Tex jacket, for example) it's been an expensive endeavour.

Still doing physio, just started a couple of spin classes, been using a recumbent exercise bike since week 8 and I'm recently back on my own bike, on the turbo. But mounting/dismounting is tricky, and stairs still sodding well hurt.

Surgeon's discharged me (just as well, the hospital was 60 miles from home) as the bone's clearly going to heal well, but he's refused to take any hardware out - although I'm deeply concerned with the pins and bolts doing a lot of damage when I fall again (it's not an "if I fall" IME).

Back on the bike at Easter (9 months after the break), and hopefully the turbo will mean that I can get straight back commuting on my bike as I did last year. The aim is to complete that 100mile audax at the first anniversary mark, but right now that's feeling like a big challenge.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • Hi year on from my accident from a broken neck of femur all good on x rays so far ive got into road biking to help get my fitness back with the aid of zwift I'm now a much stronger cyclist regular riding over 100 miles a week i mainly notice the metal work in me when it's cold and wet and when I sleep. I think to get over this type of injury you need to be dedicated to come back stronger all the best and ride on
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,101
    tomorrow it'll be a year since i broke mine, and over 7 months since i got back on the bike

last x-ray showed good healing with no sign of avn, just want to get the final all clear on that now

still missing about 10% power vs. before, but after a long long build up the physio now has me on a brutal three sessions a week in the gym to develop power and strength, plus impact work for bone density, i commute and do weekend rides though generally knackered by the gym work, i sometimes wonder if i'm getting too old for this

endurance is much better now, trying to get back to higher cadence with power

the screw heads still bug me every time i turn onto my side, but it'll be end of the year before they'll consider removal
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    13 months since my accident and subsequent NoF fracture.

I've had ups and downs and the first winter with 3 big screws in my hip has showed that the cold and wet does seem to have an impact on how it feels.

I've tailed off on the winter riding as I'm very risk adverse now, but this last month I've been upping the miles again and seem to be finding some form - went out on my first club ride of the year on Sunday and felt pretty good up some decent climbs.

The aim this year (as was last) is to do a crit or two, so I'm focusing on some structured training come March once I've got a few more base miles in.

I really need to do some work on my core too and makesure I do my physio exercises! I've had a few busy weeks where I've not done them and the niggles start coming back, you really need to keep on top of it, even if it's just 10 minutes a day.

I've just built up a new bike for racing on, so I've got no excuses!
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • In case there are any other women out there looking for encouragement to get back on their bikes after a hip fracture (I'm 59). I started cycling on the road six months after my fracture..but on a very old upright Dutch touring bike, to gain a bit of confidence. I couldn't bring myself to get back on my Cannondale Synapse with its narrow tyres and side pull brakes, the bike I fell off skidding on a descent. I splashed out on a gravel bike with 33mm tyres and hydraulic brakes. It feels more stable and after two months on that I have built up to the kind of times I was doing on the Cannondale. Don't let a fracture discourage you. Just take what steps you can to avoid another fall. I am hoping to get the hardware removed in July as from what I have read there is a weakness at the screw sites. Still very nervous, but nothing beats being back in the saddle.
  • Hi
    Broke my hip 6 weeks ago discharged from hospital day after on crutches with plate and screws. No weight bearing for 6 weeks, saw registrar who seemed unsure as to how much weight could be used for for following 6 weeks,they then went to speak to consultant who advised up to fifty percent. Looking at the various replies on here there doesn't seem to be any concensus as to the right approach, and how you measure fifty percent of your body weight as pressure through a joint is a mystery. I am 58 and was given the decision between hip replacement or plate and screws with a fifty fifty chance of success with the latter due to the possibility of vascular necrosis. Thought it was a little unfair to put the decision on me as I have limited medical knowledge or experience, but consultant and doctors refused to make the decision.
    Any guidance on how soon could go on rollers or turbo would be grateful as consultant had no idea.
  • sungod
    everyone is different, and injuries differ too, so i'd be very wary of relying on what others did in the first 2-3 months as a guide

when i was in a&e the discussion was that they wanted to try screws, there was a risk of failure (i was 55 at the time), but overall they thought it worth it as i'm fit and it was only about an hour since the injury

i broke mine right below the head, which seems to be about the worst for risk to blood supply, it was over three months before they allowed me any weight on it (allowed just 10% after 12 weeks), frustrating but i did what i was told

if you've been told 50%, maybe 'gentle' turbo is ok, but i'd stay away from rollers or any other exercise where you've got more risk of a fall

consultants are going to be conservative in their advice and most will have no idea about cycling, i read up on my specific injury and on the bone healing process, there're plenty of open access medical websites, so i could get a feel for what's involved and be informed in my decisions and subsequent discussion with doctors etc.

eat healthy, if you're taking any drugs/supplements, check for any reliable info on the effect +/- on bone/tissue healing, again look for published research not hearsay or quackery (of which there are enormous amounts)
  • Good advice there. If you're the sort of person who peruses web forums for advice, you can find some excellent advice out there.

I have no idea at what point the risk posed by another fall diminishes. My surgeon was like "look at what you did to your bone when you were fully fit and healthy; you're leg will never be as strong as that again, and you still managed to break it". I got the impression that he's not too keen on my riding again - whereas I'm not to keen on giving up!
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • sungod
    ...I have no idea at what point the risk posed by another fall diminishes...

in my case i've been told the consequences of a fall could be much worse while the screws are in place, the surrounding bone isn't as tough (because the screws are bearing some of the normal loading, the bone stays weaker) and there's a risk bone will shatter around the screws rather than fail in a 'clean' break

i'd guess it'd be similar for any injury where there's artificial support for bone
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    sungod wrote:
    ...I have no idea at what point the risk posed by another fall diminishes...

in my case i've been told the consequences of a fall could be much worse while the screws are in place, the surrounding bone isn't as tough (because the screws are bearing some of the normal loading, the bone stays weaker) and there's a risk bone will shatter around the screws rather than fail in a 'clean' break

i'd guess it'd be similar for any injury where there's artificial support for bone

Thanks for "cheering me up" sungod. I've got two plates and 30 some screws in my tibia and fibula. Have not been allowed to put weight on it since it happened in late November and I've got a least another month to go. My bike has already threatened to leave me if I don't ride it soon.
  • sungod
    my mood was similar after over three months of no weight, i mostly read as time seemed to pass quicker

but once they said, ok, start walking again, i was back on my bike as soon as i could hobble a few metres without crutches - this was a necessary distance for cafe stop - think it was about ten days from two crutches to two wheels

your turn will come, things get better fast once you're on the bike :)
  • Hello,
    I would like some advice please from someone who has been in a similar position - I am 30 years old, broke my hip December 15, am now 8 months post accident. Broke the femoral neck, Dr operated and fixed with 4 screws. Were on crutches, no weight bearing for 12 weeks. Started physio and walked fine, normal and relatively no pain. Took exercising quite easy and slow in order to have the hip heal. Started skipping rope about 2 weeks ago, cycling again on Sunday and have been doing lunchtime walks (about 5km's) around the office to get the leg moving. Have been experiencing a burning/pulling pain feeling lately, especially at night when in bed, laying down, or when in office and sitting on chair. More effort is required as well lately when I am walking and have some pain in groin area. any advice??
  • sungod
    if pain has developed for no apparent cause and is persistent, check with your doctor

fwiw it took me a long time to be able to sit more than a short time without stiffening up, even 18 months on i can still get it after a while, plus various twinges, the screw heads were pretty uncomfortable at times but that's improved a lot

you mention physio, was this physio to walk, or physio to recover previous level of performance? once i was mobile i went through about 9 months physio with http://www.iseh.co.uk/ i'm discharged now but with a continuing program of exercises and targets, it's been pretty tough, but i'm just starting to hit the level i was at before the injury

aside from the bone, you've got the soft tissue damage, scarring and muscle loss, you need the right progression and combination of exercises, stretching etc. to recover strength, flexibility, power and endurance

if you're not getting guidance from a physio any more, then i'd recommend seeing one for at least a few months to put you through a structured program with some specific goals
  • matt_n-2
    Well it's approaching 2 years since I came off.

I'm still having a few issues and beginning to think I always will, I've got my 2 year x-ray in January so I'll raise some points with the consultant then, specifically:

- Can't lay on the affected side for any period of time
    - Leg goes numb very quickly when sat in certain positions whilst other leg remains fine
    - Still have muscular inbalance
    - Weakened quads / ham has brought about a few niggles in my knee I think, taking some of the strain
    - Have quite a lot of niggles in my glute on the affected side too

At the end of autumn my fitness was pretty decent, some PBs but my endurance seems to have been affected.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
  • sungod
    Matt_N wrote:
    Well it's approaching 2 years since I came off.

I'm still having a few issues and beginning to think I always will, I've got my 2 year x-ray in January so I'll raise some points with the consultant then, specifically:

- Can't lay on the affected side for any period of time
    - Leg goes numb very quickly when sat in certain positions whilst other leg remains fine
    - Still have muscular inbalance
    - Weakened quads / ham has brought about a few niggles in my knee I think, taking some of the strain
    - Have quite a lot of niggles in my glute on the affected side too

At the end of autumn my fitness was pretty decent, some PBs but my endurance seems to have been affected.

fwiw i found laying on the side got much better as muscle came back

must be about 13-14 months since i started serious rehab, on the golden cheetah cp graph i'm still missing 10% across the board vs. before the injury, i now think a lot of this is down to that leg being a bit 'lazy', which perpetuates imbalance, the gym work the physio gave me is gradually improving things but this last 10% is not coming easily
  • matt_n-2
    Ii had my 2 year post accident x-ray yesterday, was all looking good until the Dr looked at the last picture and saw an area of shading around the end of one of the screws in the head, he was quite confident that it was an overlay as it was only present in one pic but I've got to go back again for another x-ray to check.

Still have a few muscular niggles, but I'm back on my exercises and core workout to try and get on top of it again.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
  • simonfr
    simonfr Posts: 57
    Thats very nearly 6 years since my accident. Still a few niggles and doscomfort sometimes, but nothing else to report. Back to mountain biking 100% as the hip can now easily handle the rough and bumps. No sign of AVN, or anything else degenerative. Can lie on my side, and good range of motion. Get frisked all the time at the airport!

Hope everyone else heals just as well.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    For me the sleeping on the back thing is the worst bit. I really do not look forward to going to bed now and know thwt im going to get an uncomfortable and disturbed night every time... 5 weeks in. Tell me it will get better!
  • matt_n-2
    Following on from the above, I've had another X Ray appointment come through for the 31st. Not sure that's a good thing really.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
  • Mikey23
    Hope it goes well for you!
  • LiamW
    LiamW Posts: 358
    I know when I had mine done back in 2013 that I was able to sleep on the non operated side with a pillow between my legs. Certainly made it a lot easier to get a few hours kip.

Have you tried that at all?
  • matt_n-2
    LiamW wrote:
    I know when I had mine done back in 2013 that I was able to sleep on the non operated side with a pillow between my legs. Certainly made it a lot easier to get a few hours kip.

Have you tried that at all?

Same here, although I was upright in bed for a while before able to do that.

I hated going to bed in the first few weeks, there was literally no point, I stayed up watching films / playing Xbox etc. going to bed around 1am then up at 6am.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
  • LiamW
    LiamW Posts: 358
    Mikey23 wrote:
    For me the sleeping on the back thing is the worst bit. I really do not look forward to going to bed now and know thwt im going to get an uncomfortable and disturbed night every time... 5 weeks in. Tell me it will get better!

It does get better, you just need a little patience.

I'm approaching the 4th year of my original operation (April 10th) and just recently completed a PR on my squats 110kg & 125kg on the deadlifts.

Took me a while to get my sleeping right with the pillow between my legs as I mentioned earlier, but once I had that sorted I was grand from there on in. Get a good firm one though so that your legs have a bit of space and are not lying on each other.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,081
    Yep, pillow between the legs. I had both done and the left revised. I found the stretchy elastic band I got from the physio really helped strengthen the leg - lateral movement, rather than forwards and back. 'Cos that is where the leg is really weakened when they sever the muscle/tissue to get access to the hip for surgery.
    Sleeping on your back is bloody awful. I was resigned to sleeping on my right only but now it's fine.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Mikey23
    And another downside of sleeping on my back is snoring levels which means missus cant get any sleep! Last night was much better, perhaps the corner has been turned...
  • LeonF
    LeonF Posts: 15
    Haven't posted for a while on this, good to see some of the people that helped me through still posting. Broke mine 4 yrs ago aged 47 and was repaired with a DHS. I was non weight bearing for around 7 months from memory as I saw a different consultant every time I went and I was high risk of Necrosis due to hobbling about on it for 8 days! so they were extra careful. It's been a bit of a mixed bag since to be honest I have had varying degrees of pain since the operation from longish spells of nothing to serious grief, cycling still okay most of the time on road and MTB, but walking can be uncomfortable over any sort of distance when I develop a waddle!. For the last few months I have been experiencing nagging groin pains and a general numbness and discomfort around the hip and lower back just above. Going to try and get through this summer then looks like it will be back to the Consultant again :-( ... Good luck to all....
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,081
    ...and good luck to you by the sounds of things.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!