broken hip recovery advice needed...............

Comments

• PaulLCFC wrote:
    Having read a little more are you all in the UK?

My break was July 5th last year op 9th kicked out 11th. No follow ups no physio offered my own Dr sorted that. I'm starting to feel left out.

I'm in the UK.

I was operated on the same day as my fall and discharged 3 or 4 days later.

Two weeks after that I had my first Physio session and had around 12 weeks of NHS provided Physio.

I was an outpatient at the fracture clinic for two years, with X Rays every 6 weeks for the first 6 months, then three 6 monthly ones before being discharged with the all clear.

The main after affect for me has been muscular, really need to keep on top of the exercises and stretches to keep the niggles at bay.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,101
    Harry-S wrote:
    Thanks for the ISEH link.
    It looks just the job, and I'm definitely thinking of giving it a go, but at the moment at least, it would be a long cab ride to get there. How regularly did you visit them?
    I think I've looked after diet and exercise as well as I can so far, and weight has stayed constant. Physio guidance has been restricted to sets of leg lifts, a walk round the park would probably be a tough call (although I'm not sure what the park/perimeter constant is...).
    I've got a follow up with the consultant later this week, and an appointment with my local NHS Physio the day after, so I'll think a little bit more about what I want out of the next month or two then.
    At the time of the op, the surgeon reckoned the chance of AVN was around 30%, so not too far from what the studies you found are saying. Interesting to see that in that paper that they seem keen to recommend very little load bearing. The NHS Physio was of the opinion that a some load bearing would promote blood flow and vessel repair, - so a difference in opinion there.
    Good info sungod.
    the leg raises sound like what i was restricted to, seemed like healing was slow, it was 3-4 months before i was allowed to start putting weight on the leg, after that i got on the bike as soon as i could walk a few steps, checked with consultant that it was ok and went to see iseh

iseh visits were every 1-2 weeks, later on bigger gaps - i live in central london so getting there was easy - at the start it was frequent as he was evolving the therapy fast, i never had a point where it was easy, there was always a new exercise/target, maintaining motivation was a big part of it, after 5-6 months i didn't need to go again, just follow the program, but in retrospect it was bloody tough

if you can find a good sports/cycling oriented physio near you i'd think that'd be fine, it's the method that counts not the institution
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Harry-S wrote:
    Thanks for the ISEH link.
    It looks just the job, and I'm definitely thinking of giving it a go, but at the moment at least, it would be a long cab ride to get there. How regularly did you visit them?
    I think I've looked after diet and exercise as well as I can so far, and weight has stayed constant. Physio guidance has been restricted to sets of leg lifts, a walk round the park would probably be a tough call (although I'm not sure what the park/perimeter constant is...).
    I've got a follow up with the consultant later this week, and an appointment with my local NHS Physio the day after, so I'll think a little bit more about what I want out of the next month or two then.
    At the time of the op, the surgeon reckoned the chance of AVN was around 30%, so not too far from what the studies you found are saying. Interesting to see that in that paper that they seem keen to recommend very little load bearing. The NHS Physio was of the opinion that a some load bearing would promote blood flow and vessel repair, - so a difference in opinion there.
    Good info sungod.
    Sounds like you’re in the same boat as me Harry. I was told it was a 70/30 split in favour of AVN. I’m 2 weeks post-op and looking for more info on physio options as I’m non-weight bearing for 6 weeks until my first fracture clinic appointment. As soon as I can I’m going to make a GP appointment to find out about physio referrals.
  • harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
    Commiserations atomixers, this isn't a club I'll be applying for re-election to...
    I had my 6 week follow up last week, the consultant seemed to be happy with things, although it was a pretty short consultation.
    The advice was another 6-7 weeks without full load bearing (so 2 crutches still), but it would be ok to gradually increase the load from tip-toes only over the next 6 weeks. As a result the physio has given me a few more exercises with a view to putting a bit more weight on the dodgy leg, to be reviewed in two weeks time. I'll admit it's a painful injury, 7.5 weeks in and not many signs of it settling down much, and muscle wastage is very obvious now. I think I'll make an effort to get down to the local swimming pool fairly soon and have a splash around, the tedium is killing me...
    On the 'plus' side, I've worked through a few box sets and I also know what happened to Dion Dublin.
  • I'm 14 weeks post-fracture and thought I'd add my story so far.
    The thing that has struck me from reading through this forum (and many others) is how much the recovery varies from person to person, so my story is just another one to add to the database.
    I suffered an undisplaced intertronchanteric fracture to my right leg, with subtrochanteric extension, when I crashed my mountain bike (hit a bush that was protruding into the trail and was pitched over onto my side at 30 kph). Operated on the next day with a titanium nail down the length of my femur and 2x screws across the fracture. Was made to walk on crutches the day after the op, with enforced 50% weight bearing. Yes - enforced - they wanted me to weight bear to encourage the bone to heal. Discharged 2 days after the op. The surgeon said I would be riding outside again in 3 months.
    Staples removed after 10 days and first physio session. Squats, calf raises, bridges and seated knee raises. This is when I found out just how messed up my adductors were. Lateralis also messed-up, but this was expected as collateral damage from the operation.
    After 3 weeks I was back at work (office job). Probably a bit early, but I was bored.
    After 5 weeks I climbed on the bike on my indoor trainer and pedalled very gently for 20 minutes. It felt tender but the leg went round and round fine, which was a relief. The next day I rode an hour on the indoor trainer.
    After 6 weeks I had my first follow-up with the surgeon. X-rays showed the fracture was healing and metalwork still in the right place. Surgeon happy, put me on one crutch for another 6 weeks.
    I then stepped-up the indoor riding and physio. After 3 days I had to go back to 2 crutches because my adductors were so incredibly sore. 2 days later I was back to one crutch. Getting up after sitting down for a while was really sore on the adductors, until I walked for a minute or so then they loosened up. I started foam rollering the leg daily and that made a big difference.
    After 10 weeks I started walking short distances without a crutch.
    After 11 weeks I had a sneaky ride outside. Up until that point I really hadn't been tempted, I figure your body lets you know when things are right.
    After 12 weeks I had my second follow-up with the surgeon. He said he couldn't see the fracture anymore and discharged me "without restriction". He will bring me back in after a year to remove the metalwork. It's not essential but he advised I should have it removed as I am still relatively young (51 - ha!) and lead an active lifestyle. He said the chances of AVN are very low given my fracture was away from the neck of the femur and undisplaced.
    I immediately started riding to work again (7km each way) and a few days later I joined my friends for our Saturday social ride - 45 km round the Swan River. Happy day.
    A week later I did a 100km ride on my gravel bike - very slow with plenty of stops - enjoyed every minute.
    Cycling is much easier than walking. The adductors still tighten-up given the slightest chance - I am doing plenty of physio and aggressive stretching and suspect that will be necessary for a long time to come. But improvements are there if I pay attention, it's just a bit of a glacial pace. Swimming pool physio is very good for it.
    I am still pretty nervy on the bike. Although I have had stacks before, this is the worst and I am aware now how quickly things can go pear-shaped.
    That's my story, like I said it's just one to add to the forum - everyone's experience will be different.
  • I am five weeks into my recovery. I had a Dynamic hip screw with plate and four screws. I was told I am only allowed to be touch toe weight bearing until I go back to the hospital after six weeks. I am now really in the frustrating phase as I don’t want to cause further injury but equally want to keep progressing. I am also a bit worried about what the prognosis will be when back at the hospital. As it is Zwift season I am hoping the physio decides cycling (at least indoors) is a good form of recovery. My operated leg also looks visably longer than the other so guess a bike fit will be due.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,081
    Delliot123 wrote:
    My operated leg also looks visably longer than the other...

Really? I would be very concerned if this was true.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • harry-s
    IIRC just before my op I was advised that leg length may change, this advice was given along with all the usual pre-op warnings of possible bad outcomes. I didn't take too much notice as I wasn't really in a position to negotiate. It may well be a posture problem Delliot123, after 5 weeks on crutches and protecting the injury, and resolve itself during rehab.

Almost 10 weeks PO for me now, and still pretty much more of the same. I'm seeing an NHS physio once a fortnight, and they're gradually increasing the nature and number of exercises, and these are mostly lifting and stretching and not load bearing. A letter from the consultant came through following my last hospital visit (sent to my GP, and cc'd to me) which basically confirmed what he said when we met, except he mentions that one of the screws has worked loose. If I'd known this at the time I'd probably have asked for a look at the X-Ray. He doesn't seem too concerned, but English is not his first language and there's also a few ambiguities regarding rehab in his letter, so I'll have a few more q's at my next visit.

Getting down to the pool was a revelation. With the water level somewhere between navel and nipple I was able to walk around normally, this felt strange at first, but soon felt pretty damned good. I've been going almost every day, and my usual routine is 10 minutes walking and then laps on my back with a flutter kick, every time I turn around at the deep end I tread water for a couple of minutes with a kicking action (similar to kicking a football). I've also managed a couple of laps front crawl, although rotating to take a breath is painful. I'm going to persevere with this, on the basis that this rotation is a good stretch. It takes me ages to get dressed mind....

My original goal was a decent club run before Christmas, i.e. 4 to 5 months PO, and I thought that would be easy, I'm not so sure now though.

Good luck to all other 'club members', and hipsters all.
  • pinno
    Hydrotherapy is brilliant.

Why wouldn't you manage a club run Harry? What age bracket are you in (an approximation would suffice), if you don't mind me asking?
  • harry-s
    Hi Pinno, - well, I've got a railcard and a bus pass...
  • harry-s
    Pinno wrote:

Why wouldn't you manage a club run Harry?

Based mostly on the rate of progress (it's not linear, I know). I've tried a couple of sessions on a spin bike, and even with no resistance it didn't feel good, - most of the problem was not been able to sit comfortably for more than a few minutes. I'm intending to do this every day this week, even if it's just for a few minutes, and hopefully I'll be able to build up the session time.
  • pinno
    Harry-S wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Why wouldn't you manage a club run Harry?

Based mostly on the rate of progress (it's not linear, I know). I've tried a couple of sessions on a spin bike, and even with no resistance it didn't feel good, - most of the problem was not been able to sit comfortably for more than a few minutes. I'm intending to do this every day this week, even if it's just for a few minutes, and hopefully I'll be able to build up the session time.

It does not look like you are lacking in motivation so perhaps the yardstick should be the progress you make. Forget Christmas club runs. If by luck and a little design, you are in a position to go off on a club run at that time, then fine. If not, don't worry.
    The only real yardstick is yourself. Everybody recovers differently.

Now that spin bike: Has a lot of momentum, difficult to retard should you get carried away, or, it gets carried away. Not my cup of tea. I have a set of rollers. It has a T bar fitted, so no more offs :D
    The resistance is light and the momentum is minimal.
    When I get my next hip replacement (which is imminent), the rollers and the swimming pool will be my friend.
    The one thing with hip operations I find is the reduction in flexibility, to the extent it causes problems and may be a key factor in being comfortable on a bike. Have you had a chance to talk to the physio about basic stretches and a slow increase in them? Also, lying around and slow recovery may have weakened your core. You can do crunches with your legs bent and very little use of the legs. So no awkward angles/leverage/pulling etc. Just a few a day. Leg raises (the extension of the leg can be checked) can also firm up the gluteus maximus.
    Personally, you must look at your body as a whole - the sum of all it's parts following the trauma of an operation that cuts into certain muscles, the side effect of reduced activity, the possible increase in weight and muscle deterioration. Plus the physical effect of drugs of one description or another. On top of that, your cardio vascular fitness has been compromised.
    Small steps, nutrition and patience.
  • Follow-up for 2+ years? Ha. My surgeon saw me at six months, said "your leg's not completely healed yet, but it will. Bugger off, you're discharged”.

Agree on the hydrotherapy - ace stuff. And on the club runs (but then, my local club has several septuagenarians, and caters for all speeds. By the time I was actually ready to go out on a road bike I was already too fit and too fast for the slowest of the groups :)

And spin bikes can be properly scary when your hip's recovering. That momentum thing can catch you out - I know I had a few "interesting" experiences, and hadnt gone near a spin bike until I was 4-5 months post-op.

Still, we are all different.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • harry-s
    Coming up to 12 weeks Post Op now for me.

The swimming pool was definitely the way to go. After 2-3 weeks there I'm able to walk in the shallow end, tread water endlessly and flutter kick like a lunatic. I've even worked up to 200m fc at a decent pace. Anything resembling a breast stroke kick however is enough to have me scuttling for the drinks cabinet when I get home (a bit of a "no sh**, Sherlock" moment, that one). It's probably time to start looking at what else I can do in the water, and change my routine a tad.

On dry land however, progress seems slow, and although I knew at the time that it was going to be a game of patience, I'm being reminded of that every time I look at the calendar. I'm still on 2 sticks, it's still painful and a full night's sleep is a rare thing.

The spin bike is getting easier, - I don't have a problem with the inertia of the fly wheel, it only takes a few revs to stop, and there's always the brake button if needed. I usually train on rollers at home, so they are available, but tbh I wouldn't like to use them. I'm not sure I could throw a leg over the bike, and the thought of falling off isn't a good one.

Yeah, reduction in flexibility is a worry. I'm hoping this will improve, and the swimming should help here, but it's very obviously a long way off the mark. My injured leg/side also seems to be 35-50mm shorter than the other side, again, a bit of a worry. I suspect/hope this may be just muscle tension, as a protective reflex around the site of the repair.

NHS physio support has been good so far, so I guess I'm lucky as it seems from some of the earlier posts it's a bit of a lottery, depending on where you are. There's no doubt though that their experience mostly lies with elderly patients with hip replacements, so I'm starting to think that it's maybe time to use someone whose specialty is sports rehab.
  • harry-s
    For the interests of continuity should any other victim fall on this thread:

17 weeks post op now. I visited a sports physio shortly after my last post, and their approach has been a lot more aggressive than the NHS physio. My week now goes gym and swim on alternate days, my pool work is still pretty much more of the same. The gym has been more interesting, with the usual bridging, superman type routines and, wait for it, instructions to 'get on the exercise bike'. As a result I went straight into a TrainerRoad plan, starting with an FTP test (the short one). FTP turned out to be about 70% of what it usually is, but the real truth lies in the endurance side, it's rare that I can complete a session, and sometimes have to bail just after the warm up. The balance graphic on the Wattbike shows a 75/25 bias to my good side, even when making a conscious effort to press evenly on the pedals. From the Wattbike it's then onto a 20 or 30 minute session on the cross trainer. After that I'm well and truly knackered.

There's definitely been progress, but it's slow. I still need a crutch to walk and my range is limited, the paper shop is just about my limit. Standing for more than a few minutes is also difficult. Pain levels are still fairly high. Visiting a physio with sports rehab experience was definitely the right move, and also helped to put a realistic level on expectations.
  • Hi all. It’s just over two years now since I fell off and needed a hip replacement. I set up a very similar thread ‘ Just had hip replacement- any advice please’ as wanted some thoughts and to share my experiences as ther was not too much else out there. A very quick post to hopefully give you all hope. 2 years on and at age 54 I knocked nearly 2 minutes off my previous Alpe d’ Huez time this last summer. I worked hard like you guys with my walking, working in the pool and on the Wattbike. Used the Wattbike in the gym as easiest kit to get on. Although shattering at the time, it may me very motivated to get back and beyond where I was before ( which I’ve done). I also have a much greater respect for those with bigger injuries and those with disabilities. Do as much as feels comfortable physically taking in the medical advice at all times. Let the injury heal before doing too much re the flexibility as you don’t want to pop the new hip was the advice of both the surgeon and my physio. Water is wonderfully supportive for suitable stretching.
    I do a class of Circuit Training with sprints, squats etc . I have slightly less mobility in my hip replacement, but doesn’t impact. I take corners and roundabouts with a little more caution but love my cycling. Time is the healer. Walking at the beginning helped me massively too.
    Good luck all. If anyone wants any other info/ thoughts do let me know. There were lots of people who shared their experiences on the other thread which may be useful.
    BW

viewtopic.php?f=40011&t=13073435&p=20064091&hilit=Hip+replacement+advice+needed#p20064091
  • harry-s
    Thanks for the link BW. I had a quick scan through, skipping a few posters...

Obviously everyone and every injury is different, but I get the impression that those people with a THR made a quicker recovery than those with a repair after injury (using screws, rods etc). Walking without sticks at 6-12 weeks, or even being on a static bike, would have been beyond me. I reckon the sooner I get back on the road the better, but I'm definitely not ready for it yet.
  • Agreed the THR appearing to have a much quicker healing time. Also agreed Harry about going out on the road too. I think at this time of the year especially- something to aim for. Your determination is great and in time you will channel this back into your actual cycling- I know I appreciate it even more than before the accident now. I think the THR with its quicker healing time gives you more ‘ quick gains’ at the end of each week so that progress can be more easily seen - stupid things like being able to tie your shoe laces etc. As I said I now have a much better insight into those who have pain every day and those with a permanent disability- complete respect.
    It will be interesting to see how long the THR lasts. I did start to literally click loudly with every step at the end step at the end of our fortnight holiday in the Alps this past year. Think it was more the mountain walking rather than the cycling. Luckily it subsided after a week or so,! I didn’t fancy having to walk with an eternal click to be sure!
    Good luck with the recovery Harry and keep people posted as unfortunately there will be others in the future who will find the post as they recover. BW
  • TimDee
    TimDee Posts: 2
    Hi all
    Latest joiner to the club! Fractured my right femoral neck on 5 December, training in the dark my front wheel slipped into a hole at the side of the road and down I went. Going uphill too! I was operated on that afternoon - had a dynamic hip screw and a derotation screw inserted and then let out the next day.
    My 2 week X-ray showed was healing as expected and I was given the ok to start physio. I’ve been doing that privately as was told would be waiting until the 6 week mark for nhs physio. Progress at first was painfully slow - trying to slide my foot towards me lying on my back I could barely bend my knee and sitting on a chair I couldn’t bend my leg under me at all.
    Now at 4.5 weeks and after lots of physio I have most of the movement back and doing leg raises with 2.5kg- still can’t quite get my leg straight doing this but hopefully that’ll come soon. Got on a very old exercise bike yesterday and managed 5 minutes on zero resistance with not much discomfort.
    Sleeping was really difficult at first but getting easier now leg has loosened up. Can’t do a whole night on my back as I wake up with a numb right glute, which has become really weak. But have found success lying on my side with a pillow between the knees.
    My nhs consultant advised no weight bearing for six weeks. Im coming up to that in 2 weeks but not due to see the consultant for another 6 weeks. I would have expected an X-ray at the 6 week mark so we could determine progress and so how much weight bearing. Is that most people’s experience?
    My main concerns are AVN and when I get back on the bike, crashing with the screws in place. Whilst I understand the potential implications of AVN I’d be really grateful for any info on anything I can do to reduce the risk. And with respect to the screws, it seems from reading the posts here there seems to be a mix of keeping vs removing. My nhs consultant said they’d stay in forever- is this normal advice? I’m not sure I’m keen on the implications of crashing with them in place!
    This forum has been really helpful in the last few weeks as there seems to be relatively little information available for hip fractures outside the elderly, so massive thanks. Cycling was a huge part of my life before my crash, I raced at quite a high level and at the age of 40 I’m not ready to hang up my wheels just yet!
  • sungod
    with the dhs i think you get to be weight bearing much sooner, small consolation perhaps, but probably better for maintaining muscle

x-ray frequency will depend on what the consultant thinks is necessary, they'll want to limit radiation exposure

i'd read a lot on avn but didn't find anything that looked like it'd make much difference, the main factors seemed to be the exact nature of the injury and how long it was before treatment - i found a review of research the covered 'younger' patients, there's a link to it somewhere in this thread

imo just maintain a good diet with regular meals and snacks as it feels like you use a lot of energy during recovery, i was eating lots but had no significant weight gain

i had three screws, i can the heads and can sometimes get a nasty twinge as a tendon/whatever catches on them, plus pressure is uncomfortable, i've asked consultants and physios about removal, all said it's better to leave them in place...
    . the bone is stronger with them, i.e. less likely to break in the same place
    . operation will cause more tissue damage/scarring
    . recovery period for the holes to fill in
    . avoids risk of infection or other complication
    ...unless the screws are causing enough trouble to outweigh the risks, they stay in

i was non weight bearing over three months, in retrospect i think that left my arms weakened and led to elbow problems, so as well as the leg phyio i wish i'd added some basic arm exercises - just basic curls, holds etc. that can all be done seated
  • drummer
    drummer Posts: 246
    Hello All!!
    OK, I’m coming up to 6 years post crash in May.

I’m now 46 and am fitter and lighter than I’ve been in years. I’ve just built up a Merckx 525 for this year so I’m still as obsessed as ever.
    No pain or issues with the hip. Once screws came out it all fell away!

Hope everyone else is doing OK.

And if it’s just happened to you then........ RELAX! Take your time and you’ll come back strong!
    chris
  • harry-s
    Erm, "welcome", TimDee...
    If it's any consolation (and I'm sure it isn't) you're doing a lot better than I was at that stage. At 4.5 weeks it was just about all I could do to press the green button for another episode of The Wire.
    I'm about 22 weeks post op now, the crutches have been thrown away, and I've got a reasonable 'range' without them. It's still painful though, and it takes a lot of effort not to look like a metronome when walking. My avn research seems to have had similar results to sungods, but it's a worry. I'll probably chill out a bit more once the 18 month mark has passed.
    The screws... should they go or should they stay? I think the medics would rather leave them in, and that's an understandably cautious approach. The engineer in me says that a fall with them in would be bad news, with the bone shattering around the screws, rather than a clean fracture. Having said that, it would be pretty difficult, without some destructive testing, to be sure. And I'm not sure how many laws that sort of testing would contravene.
    I managed to get a ride in before Christmas, not a club ride, but a ride with some club mates who were kind enough to tolerate me for a slow 40 miler. It was nice to get that out of the way.
    Another FTP test still has me way down on what would be 'normal', and I know my good leg is doing a lot of the work. In the spirit of Pete and Dud, I've nothing against my right leg, but sadly, neither has it.
    Like sungod I was non weight bearing for 3 months, but I think my time in the pool helped with upper body strength, and I think this is important. Moving from two crutches to one played havoc with my neck and shoulders, the more force you can push on the crutch with, the better, I'd say.
    As above, patience is the name of the game, but that's easier said than done.

Edit: And here they are...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbnkY1tBvMU
  • TimDee
    TimDee Posts: 2
    Thanks Harry and sungod. Met with private consultant last week (5weeks post op), felt very rushed with the nhs consultant previously and really wanted to discuss things further.
    Re AVN the consultant was reluctant to give a % chance. He noted it was good I’d been operated on quickly, beyond that he agreed the evidence wasn’t clear of what could be done to reduce the risk- except for not smoking.
    In respect of removing the screws he noted we’d discuss this after one year.
    Next week I get to lose one crutch and become partial weight bearing. I did ask if I needed an X-ray before I did this as my last one was at 2 weeks so I’d have thought another would have been useful to check progress, but he said it wasn’t necessary.
    I’m comfortably doing 3 x 20 mins on the exercise bike each day now on very low resistance, just for RoM and keep the blood flow going. I’ve been doing seater leg raises with weights with the physio and up to 4kg now - I can see a bit of muscle coming back! We’ve also done lots of glute work and that’s coming back too which has been great, feel much more comfortable sleeping.
    New turbo arrived this week, looking forward to having a go later. Not entirely sure how I’ll get on the bike yet! Maybe a step ladder, or remove the front wheel to get on...
  • drummer
    drummer Posts: 246
    ****** A PAINFUL UPDATE ********

I’m back fella’s. Almost exactly 6 years later......

Holiday to NY with my daughters and Mrs a few weeks ago. They wanted to go to a market in Brooklyn and so at the Manhattan side of the bridge, we hired some city-bikes as we thought it would be cold to go over the bridge on the cycle lane and walkway.
    30 metres from the Brooklyn end, I see a bloke on a mountain bike cycling fast in the opposite direction. As I get closer I can see his heads down and he’s texting on his phone. You can guess what comes next.......

As we crosss he loses control and piles in to me between my front wheel and frame. Straight up in to the air I go and I come down hard.
    Lots of pain, can’t turn my foot and shoulder feels really weird.
    Cue police and an ambulance ride to a hospital in Brooklyn.

Another ‘Neck of Femur’ fracture (on the opposite side to last time) and for good measure a Posterior Dislocation of my left shoulder.

Operation and 4 pins in my hip. Shoulder reset twice as it kept coming out (posterior are the worse!). They think my shoulder will probably need an op but said it wasn’t an emergency so have put it in a brace.

5 nights in hospital, and then not allowed to sly home for another 7 days after.

Appointment at fracture clinic in Sheffield tomorrow and here we go again.

Family have already started with “you have to pack in. It’s too dangerous for you” (I should point out I do have osteoporosis).

So I’m currently GUTTED.com as I’m ‘back in the gang’
    chris
  • harry-s
    Holy Sh1t, mate, that's a bummer, drummer.
    I think 'gutted' is putting it mildly, it sounds like desperately bad luck, my sympathies to you.
    Riding while on the phone is such a bonehead thing, but you see it all the time.
    I hope you heal quickly.
  • harry-s
    An overdue update, in the interests of continuity.

First off, I hope others with this injury are doing ok.

Following my last post I started a Trainerroad block, - the general build. It was pretty tough at first but got through most of it, with swimming and pool work on the free days. After 8 weeks my increase in FTP was......... 1W. At least it was an increase, but not exactly encouraging. I quickly got in touch with a coach I know and we went through some LTR testing, he has my data from a few years ago, and after 1m, 5m, 10m, 20min testing we could see that I was pretty much 100W down across the whole range. I'm now doing a lot of work in the gym with weights, and following a plan of his, we'll see how it goes.

From a comfort point of view, it's still a PITA. Adductors are still shot, sleeping still fitful, walking is ok, but not a breeze, and the same for standing up for any length of time. The injured leg is about 25mm shorter than the other, which is not helping, and I'm not sure I fully understand why, - I rarely get a straight answer to this questions from the pros. From the x-rays my pelvis looks skewed, but the repair looks ok. I'll be chasing this up with a little more vigour at my next hospital appointment. In the meantime I'm waiting to see a podiatrist and get a gait analysis. Orthotics may help with walking, and after a bike fit I've now got about 12mm of spacers under one cleat, - I can tell the pedal stroke is uneven.

I remember during my first physio session asking how long this would take, and the answer was 'around a year or so', and this is starting to look like a pretty good guess, - 9 months for me now.
  • harry-s
    Well.... 12 months now since the op, and a follow up appointment last week at the 'orsepittle.

Riding is sort of ok, the pedal stroke still feels pretty uneven, but I don't think that will change. I finished a lejog ride a couple of weeks ago, and have squeezed a couple of TT's in, so I guess that counts as a recovery, but power (and comfort)is still down.

Walking and standing is still an issue. It looks from the X-ray as if the bone has collapsed a little where the break was, and the heads of the screws are now standing around 10mm proud of the bone surface. This means that when in a standing/walking position my ITB is rubbing over and catching the tops of the screw heads. Max range walking is about 2 miles, and I need a stiff drink afterwards. But that's about normal, - the drink bit.

I reckon the screws have got to come out, although the doc wasn't too keen to do this, - "maybe in another year...". I've another apt in a couple of months, and will argue the case then, I don't fancy another year of hobbling around. 24 months FFS!

I hope all other hipsters are healing well.
  • simonfr
    simonfr Posts: 57
    Hi All,

Hope all the 'hippies' here are good and are healing/healed well. Its been a while since the last post on this thread, so to keep it alive just that bit longer, an update from me.

Thats nearly 10 years now - 10 in Feb 2021 - since the Hip Screw. Its still in there and not causing any problems. No sign of arthritis or AVN in those years and never needed to go back to the surgeon for a follow up.

To anyone here whos had this, keep well, for anyone new here, keep the faith. Good info here and it always seems worse than it is early days.
  • sungod
    good going

about five and a half years for me, pretty much good as new by the time the physio was over, still got the three screws in there, sometimes get a beep at security checks :smiley:

• coinneach
    coinneach Posts: 79
    I’m late to this thread, and shouldn’t really post, ‘cause it’s just depressing.
    Broke hip in bike accident 04/19, hip replaced with titanium one.
    Gradual recovery, and by 09/19 was back to 90%. Still a bit sore in groin after ride, but easy to ignore.
    3/20 pretty much 100%!
    6/20 sore after hard hilly ride, then went “pop” mucking about.
    3 weeks gradual recovery, then tried Hill session after walk. Pop again, back on crutches. I think it’s an adductor tear, but who knows. May be looking at 6 months?
    My advice to others- Don’t ignore discomfort after a ride, and don’t have a problem during a pandemic if you can avoid it.
    Good luck to everyone who has broken a hip!!
    "It is good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters in the end."