broken hip recovery advice needed...............

natureboy
natureboy Posts: 155
edited August 2019 in Training, fitness and health
I broke my hip back in january and have been off crutches for a week (I can walk 1 mile ish).
I was wondering if anybody out there had also broken their hip, and if so, do they have any advice.?
My biggest question is:- how long, after beginning to walk without cruches, should I wait before I start back on the bike?

Comments

• ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    natureboy wrote:
    My biggest question is:- how long, after beginning to walk without cruches, should I wait before I start back on the bike?
    I don't have any medical knowledge or personal experience of recovering from such an injury, but I would have thought that if you used low gears and didn't push yourself too hard, cycling would be easier than walking? One piece of rather obvious advice - you want to make damn sure that what ever you do, make sure you don't fall off your bike onto that hip!
  • natureboy
    Thanks for the advice Colin.
    I also think that riding my smallest gear would be ok, but I think standing up to pedal would put too much strain on it.
    I'll try an excercise bike first, and I'll do my best not to fall off again!
    Hebden bridge? You lucky bugger!
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    natureboy wrote:
    Hebden bridge? You lucky bugger!
    hebden_bridge_hills.jpg

Why :wink: ?

I used to come over here a lot when I was a student in Manchester. Having seen what Yorkshire looked like, I didn't want to move back to the midlands after graduating 8) !
  • tyskie
    tyskie Posts: 252
    Is it your femur that has broken or something else that forms the hip?

In any event, you should speak to your Orthopedic Surgeon and get their advice. The last thing you want is a set-back. From experience, I know that leg strength takes a long time to come back after a femur break and personally, I won't be getting back on a bike on the road until my broken femur is fully healed and quad strength is back up to a good level.
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Swimming, always a good one for excercise without putting weight onto a limb.
    Also, never mind the surgeon, it's what the physiotherapists say that counts.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • natureboy
    It was the neck of my femur that broke - just before the socket - usually known as a broken hip.
    I should start phisio next week, so I'll wait till then and go on an exercise bike first.
    My consultant is the cautious type, so there's no point asking him
  • tyskie

During my recovery the physio is being instructed by the consultant on a stage by stage basis as to the level of exercise I can do. The physio then sets and changes my exercise regime according to those instructions. That makes sense to me as it's the consultant who is the bone expert, not the physio.

Natureboy - I wouldn't just dismiss your consultant as cautious and therefore not worth asking. He has treated more broken femurs than us.
  • natureboy
    tyskie wrote:

During my recovery the physio is being instructed by the consultant on a stage by stage basis as to the level of exercise I can do. The physio then sets and changes my exercise regime according to those instructions. That makes sense to me as it's the consultant who is the bone expert, not the physio.

Natureboy - I wouldn't just dismiss your consultant as cautious and therefore not worth asking. He has treated more broken femurs than us.
    .All good points.
    Thanks for the advice everyone
  • V-twin
    V-twin Posts: 49
    NB,

That's bad luck - I do know how painful and depressing it is; you have my sympathy. I can only talk from my own perspective but if this helps then that's good...

My 'event' was in August 2005 when I was in my mid-50s and my femur break was clean so the femur was held in place by compression screws during recovery so that the two parts lined up properly.

My training diary says I was back on the rollers for 15 mins @ 2 months from the day of the break and the operation. At 4 months I was back up to 40 mins on the rollers. Pins removed under general anaesthetic 13 months after the initial break. I rode on the road but not as much as before; when you have pins in your thigh and cleats holding your feet in place a certain sensitivity develops about crashes... (or it did with me anyway)

Coupla things to add: I suffered a slight loss of leg-length as a result and have had to adjust my setup accordingly. It's only a few mils but it does make a difference. I did a lot of walking as part of my rehab which helped to build back the muscle and encourage bone growth.

Not sure any of this is relevant but I found that once the consultant said there was no reason why I shouldn't be riding again I set my sights on doing that .... as I'm sure you are...! Good luck

V-T

mox senex dormit
  • natureboy
    V-twin wrote:
    NB,

That's bad luck - I do know how painful and depressing it is; you have my sympathy. I can only talk from my own perspective but if this helps then that's good...

My 'event' was in August 2005 when I was in my mid-50s and my femur break was clean so the femur was held in place by compression screws during recovery so that the two parts lined up properly.

My training diary says I was back on the rollers for 15 mins @ 2 months from the day of the break and the operation. At 4 months I was back up to 40 mins on the rollers. Pins removed under general anaesthetic 13 months after the initial break. I rode on the road but not as much as before; when you have pins in your thigh and cleats holding your feet in place a certain sensitivity develops about crashes... (or it did with me anyway)

Coupla things to add: I suffered a slight loss of leg-length as a result and have had to adjust my setup accordingly. It's only a few mils but it does make a difference. I did a lot of walking as part of my rehab which helped to build back the muscle and encourage bone growth.

Not sure any of this is relevant but I found that once the consultant said there was no reason why I shouldn't be riding again I set my sights on doing that .... as I'm sure you are...! Good luck

That's great advice V-twin.
    Like you my bad leg is now shorter that the other - by 5mm said the doctor - but it feels like a little more to me. Apparently anything over 2cm is problematic. It does still feel odd though.

I had 3 ti screws put in, followed by 18 weeks on crutches (bad!!!!!)- 12 non-weight bearing,6 partial.
    I havent started phisio yet but I'll try swimming and an exercise bike first.
    I've been through phisio before though so it'll be no suprise (dislocated knee - honestly much more painful than hip)
    I want to run before I can walk.
    Hope you're ok now V-twin
  • V-twin
    Yes, the hip is looking good. Just the prolapsed disc to sort out now... 8)

mox senex dormit
  • natureboy
    Ouch! Bloody hell! You're as bad as me. Its all worth it though......
    Good luck with your back
  • tyskie
    Because I had a titanium rod and screws in my femur (see x-ray), I was actually able to weight bear as soon as I could get out of the hospital bed, which was about 5 days. I found that absolutely amazing, although I was a bit nervous at first about 'walking' on a broken leg. As soon as my knee could bend enough (about 10 weeks), the physio gave me the go-ahead to get on the turbo trainer. Managed about 10 minutes at first but now can do 30 mins +. I've just had the screws taken out as the bone around the lower ones was beginning to reabsorb itself a bit, but the break is healed enough not to move (fingers crossed) and I've still got the rod in there supporting it. It's been about 8 months now and the bone should be fully healed in about another 3 months. After that it's just getting full strength back in the right leg which the consultant reckons will take a further year (although it'll be strong enough to get back out on the road way before that).

Natureboy - good luck with your recovery and try to keep your spirits up. I know how things can seem to be taking forever, which has got me down at times.

X-RAY
  • natureboy
    tyskie wrote:
    Because I had a titanium rod and screws in my femur (see x-ray),

Tyskie - I've just seen your x-ray! Christ!
    How did they get the rod in?!
    Did you not use crutches?
    I'm really suprised you walked so quickly, but the rod is nearly the full length of your femur and was strongly fixed with screws.
    From the x-ray it looks broken in more than 1 place.? Can I ask how you broke it?
    Judging by the size of that rod, it looks as if, when its fully healed, there's little chance of breaking it again.
    Its hard not to get depressed about it, but it sounds like you're making progress and you'll be back on the road again soon.

I was thinking of getting a three wheeled recumbent (two at the front), because as I wouldn't have as far to fall, and wouldn't have to balance it, there's less chance of breaking my hip again.! And I think there would be less strain on the body.
    Apparently they're faster on the flat and descents, and more comfortable, but heavier and slower uphill.
  • tyskie
    They make an incision at the top of the hip, drill a hole in the top of the femur and push it all the way down the bone canal. I think they use a guide wire to make sure it goes in straight across the break. It's broken in one place but the break fragmented a bit, hence the extended time it's taking to heal. I basically got hit side on by a car at 30-40 mph. The car driver said it happened because: 1. Her Tom Tom told her that it wasn't a junction; 2. She had run out of screen wash and the windscreen was dirty; and 3. The sun was in her eyes. Anyway, at least I wrote her car off as well!! 8)

I'm going to stick to a 2 wheeler. I don't think a straight fall should break the femur, unless you have weakened bones, and what's the chance of it happening again? :wink:
  • V-twin
    Maybe we need a group ride for all of us in this very select group of hip 8) recoverees..!?

(Broom wagon with crutches, police outriders, mandatory distance beteen bikes of 1 car length, flashing lights, paramedics, etc...)

V-T

mox senex dormit
  • natureboy
    What an operation, Tyskie! You've been through the wars.
    I've always found the recovery period to be far worse than the injury itself.

What a b*tch!
    Did she at least apologise? Did she phone for the ambulance, or send a "get well soon" or "sorry" card?
    I hope you have taken legal action - at least to teach her a lesson.
    She could be prosectuted for "driving without due care and attention" - I hope she has.
    The penalties for such incidents are way too lenient.

Like your idea about a recovery group ride V-twin(I like your sense of humour!). I'll go, just as long as its not where Tyskie lives - sounds dangerous to me!
  • tyskie
    There was a couple of cars following me and one of the drivers called an ambulance. That was quite handy as their statements clearly set out what happened. I haven't had an apology or anything from her and you're right on the lenient penalties - £100 and 7 points in her case. I was quite angry about that at first but there's nothing I can do about it so no point in getting wound up (but I know where she lives though :twisted: ).

How did you and V-twin both manage to break your hips? Except in the case of osteoporosis or something similar, it takes a hell of a force to break a femur.

On the recovery group ride thing, it's my intention to go out with another rider or two for the first few rides after I get back on a bike proper. I think I'm just going to need the 'safety in numbers' thing to ease myself back into it.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,170
    I broke my hip 4 weeks ago. An intertrochanteric fracture which is basically the bit after the neck, I think it was quite a bad one. :(

I have been told it will be three months from the op till I can start doing stuff. I hope it is before then. Proably be another 4 weeks till I can put weight on it though

The crutches are starting to annoy me loads!
    Mañana
  • tyskie
    Hi pb21. Have you had a plate and screws to hold it in place or a rod down the middle of the bone?

Are you having hydro-therapy in the first instance? I used to really look forward to those sessions in the pool as it was about the only exercise I could do in the first 6 weeks.

Good luck on your recovery and keep us up to date with how things are going.
  • pb21
    tyskie wrote:
    Hi pb21. Have you had a plate and screws to hold it in place or a rod down the middle of the bone?

Are you having hydro-therapy in the first instance? I used to really look forward to those sessions in the pool as it was about the only exercise I could do in the first 6 weeks.

Good luck on your recovery and keep us up to date with how things are going.

I have had the nails inserted in the bone. Three in total, one longish one going down a medium one going in towards the socket and a little one in the side.

At the moment I am not doing anything other than trying to straighten my leg and bend it etc. I do use the crutches as much as possible though, getting up hills brings on a good sweat! I see the doctor again in a week for some x-rays to see how it is healing, hopefully then he will suggest some stuff I can do.

Its pretty frustrating isnt it :twisted:
    Mañana
  • tyskie
    Extremely frustrating pb21! :( I've had over 8 months now of limited use of my leg, but finally the end is in sight. Went to see the Consultant last night and he wants to see me one more time in September, a year after breaking it, when he reckons the break will be as good as it's going to get (which should be fully healed but not looking the same as the other femur). He says to go full on ahead now exercise wise (without going too mad), but I'll wait until after that appointment until I get back out on the road on my bike. I'm still on one crutch anyway for walking any distance so it's going to take me some time to get the leg strength back to a road cycling level.

Regarding the bending of the leg, have yourself or the other hip fracture people lost any rotation of the knee due to lack of use? I had the added complication of a 6 inch wound just above my right knee which 50% severed the quadricep tendon. I was down to about 40 degrees movement of the knee which has taken me until now to get back to almost full rotation. Just make sure you keep straightening that leg and bending it to keep the knee flexible as it's amazing the speed that the leg seizes up and the muscles waste due to lack of use. I would advise you and the others to get down the gym as soon as possible and in consultation with your physio, work out a weights and exercise programme. My physio told me that it is particularly good to work on core body strength, not just the injured hip/leg, as having the injury places stresses on many other parts of the body when they try and compensate for limited use of the injured hip/leg. Diet is quite important as well for a good recovery - plenty of calcium and the foods that help the body absorb it such as nuts, seeds, fruits, greens and less of the nice stuff such as beer and coffee. I guess that a diet to combat osteoporosis would hit the nail on the head such as THIS

Good luck everyone in your recovery.
  • pb21
    Thanks tyskie, thats some good advice you give there.

I cant bend me knee properly at the moment. Its a little weired cos my hip feels relatively OK and its the muscles in the lower part of my thigh that hurt even though the incisions are all at the top!

I am think that some kind of swimming will be good early on and I also plan on doing pilates or something similar for the core muscles, as well as indoor cycling ASAP. I am not going to let this keep me doing stuff for any longer than it needs to.

I started taking calcium supplements straight away with added vitamin D & K, as well as glucosamine and chondrotin as I think I am not at a much greater risk of arthritis in my hip and of course eating a healthy diet with a good source of fats and protein. Although I do have a coffee a day (may cut that out).

I just want to ride my bike :(
    Mañana
  • daver1
    daver1 Posts: 78
    I haven't broken my hip but am recovering from hip and back problems caused by the build up of many minor injuries over 20 years of playing rugby. I recommend Pilates for anyone recovering from any type of injury but it is especially good for back and hip problems. Try and do the 1st 5 or 6 sessions with close supervision, ideally by a physio and then a class once a week will be enough. Don't try it without supervision until you have been doing it for a while.
  • pb21
    Just out of interest how long off work did you need?

I have been off for just over 4 weeks now. I only do a desk job but the problem is that I don't drive, I used to either cycle to work, or get the bus which involved over a mile of walking. Plus I will have to get up a steep flight of stairs once I am there (no lift).
    Mañana
  • tyskie
    I was off work for a total of 3 months, although the last month I was able to work from home. It was only after 3 months I could comfortably drive my car the 50 minutes or so to work. I used to cycle to work, 18 miles each way, 3 times a week so having to drive 5 times a week now is costing me a small fortune in petrol (the driving route is on average about 30 miles each way). Additional petrol costs is another line item on my legal claim.

Is there anyone at work you could get a lift off until you are able to get in under your own steam? However crap work can be, the novelty of sitting at home wears off after a short time.
  • natureboy
    I've been back out twice on the bike after 2 weeks after getting rid of the crutches (fractured neck of femur (hip).
    It was great! The first ride was 1/4 mile and only got a small ache once around my hip. I went up a 10% gradient no probs either! The second ride was about 2 miles, no problems.I'm doing 6 miles on monday and about 10 after that.

I started back on bike without the go-ahead from doc, phisio or consultant. It'll have been 3 weeks before I start phisio....
    I figured that if its not strong enough after 5 months it never will be.

I'd DEFINATELY reccomend swimming before starting back on the bike. It builds muscle without putting weight on healing bones, and builds the strength you need to ride. If you've got a lot of muscle wastage, SWIM FOR A WEEK OR TWO BEFORE YOU START BACK ON THE BIKE!!!!!!!!!!

I broke my hip by falling off my bike on ice, back in january, whilst going to work. It was dark, so I couldn't see the ice. I was doing about 15 mph and the first part of me to hit the road was my hip.
    A passer by helped me to my feet, and I tried to put weight on it, but it felt uncontrollable, so I lowered myself back to the ground and phoned for an ambulance.
    I knew I'd injured my leg but didn't realise it was my hip. I thought it was only people aged 50+ who broke their hips (I'm 33). I thought breaking a hip would be ultra painful, but I'd dislocated my knee years before, and that WAS painful!!!!!!!!!
  • Mapman
    Mapman Posts: 254
    Double fracture of thehip 31st jan 2007 Now have a plate and dynamic hip screw Amonth after the accident i started VERY slowly on the exercise bike first just one minuteat very low resistance then two minutes etc I didnt have full movement at the knee and so it was notuntil ealy april that i went out on my hybrid ,and managed to cycle round the block By june 2007 i had done my first 30 miles and now i am almost back to my old self If anything my average speed is up a little But this is perhaps because i am now doing more miles than before the accident ,, although i cannot run properly andto all intents and purposes running has now been abandonned My message is that it slow and steady takes a little time but you will get better All the best
  • combat_wombat
    combat_wombat Posts: 2,188
    it isn't about how bad the break is.
    its about how invasive the Surgery is

Bone can heal relatively quickly; muscle, tendons and ligaments less so.

The surgeon needs to cut through alot of tissue (incl muscle) to do some procedures.
    This mostly depends on the part of the bone they need to get at to insert the prosthesis. The plate, nail (rod down femoral canal) or whole hip joint replacement.

The further from the hip joint the less evasive.

Is the surgery is not very envasive Plates (including DHS plates used for broken femoral necks) and nails can be ready in a few months.

I have a friend who needed a DHS (for a broken femoral neck) was able to ride the last PBP less than 4 months after his accident

48/19 Winter : 105 Summer
  • pb21
    Bugger. Just seen the doctor and the brake is healing, just not that fast :cry: .

Got to go back in another 4 weeks for another check up. In the meantime it is back to the crutches and starting physio, no cycling yet though.
    Mañana