6 Nations

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    not been at that game for the second one have you mate

and there is a limit to what support can do...Nothing ever changed in the welsh team untill you got to the WC and it all went hideously wrong (be honest it did did nt it!) Perhaps if they'd looked at the shocking performances over the 6 nations last year instead of basking in and england victory you might have been challanging in the second phase of the tournament...god knows we needed a few more N hemisphere treams there

beating england does not mean the WC final is next,

although i'm not looking forward to england A vs Italy tomorrow i must admit..... :? :? :?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Sadly for a lot of Welsh folks beating England is actually preferable to winning a WC. The rest of us just go along with the joke, but most iof not all of my Englihs friends (who are the majority) don't see it the same way and ironically would prefer to see Wales to do well against non UK teams (e.g. France). It is possible to take all of this far too seriously you know.... :wink:
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    S It is possible to take all of this far too seriously you know.... :wink:

:P
  • ddraver
    well if you can't have a load of intra-national banter (ducks and covers for real this time) on a bike forum where can you have it?!

My mother is welsh so by the attitudes of some of my friends I am as well (i don't consider myself welsh, I was born in Cornwall, so i am at least Celtic, and have only lived in wales past the age of 18,) so its all a bit tounge in cheek

although I do honestly believe that the england issue is holding wales back against the rest of the world, which is unfortunate
    - @ddraver
  • And for all those rugby fans,

watch this on youtube,,,,,,,,,,,,"message to soccer"

Enjoy!
  • ddraver
    linky no worky.....
    - @ddraver
  • http://www.scrum.com/39_50896.php

What a telling insight to perhaps why we have had a dismal 2006 and 2007 season. . Phillips was such a lynchpin for the blues, and when he and Nicky Robinson played for wales against Fiji in 2006 (which was dismal) he was the only player that turned up that evening. Always rated him, but he needs to play week in week out which he won't at the Ospreys. Gloucester? Or better the Quins...their SH is playing like a bag o'sh1te at the moment :wink:

Quote:
    ".....His frustration peaked in the build-up to the World Cup, when previous coach Gareth Jenkins told him he was only in the squad as Peel's back-up.

Even when Phillips played against Japan it was so Peel could be rested - and despite producing a barnstorming performance, there was no doubt who would start in the crunch pool game against Fiji the following week.

As a result, Phillips has welcomed Warren Gatland's hard new regime like a breath of fresh air and he is determined to take his chance.

``I am enjoying it much more,'' said Phillips, who scored the winning try last weekend as Wales won at Twickenham for the first time since 1988.

``I feel much more part of the squad now and that has given me a lot more confidence.

``I think the last regime were really a bit behind Dwayne, but the new coaches are a bit more open-minded. It is very positive to be able to feel that......"

Coaching is as much about managing people as it is working out a game plan, shame no one ever told the WRU that, let alone Jenkins. Great to see Ruddock starting to gel Worcester at Sixways too. Seen them this season and they look a tidy team
  • robbarker
    Anyway - home game today :-)

Red_005.jpg
  • robbarker wrote:
    Anyway - home game today :-)

Red_005.jpg

We Luuuurrrrrve Kathrine :D

C'm on Cymru :twisted: :twisted: :!:
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • ddraver
    nah...Hayleigh Westerana (spelling , Kath's NZ equivalent) is fitter

although she is unlikly to be making an appearence this weekend, lets hope the Itai's have put on a fit singer.....
    - @ddraver
  • Katherine is a Godess :D

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Two poor performances, but two wins. And that wasn't a try.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • robbarker
    _44416116_hooktry_huw203.jpg

Up, up and away!
  • No Try! Not a great performance, There haven't been any of those in this tournament yet.
    poor performance interspersed by a few well deserved moves.
    However, A win is a win. :D:D

• ddraver
    not a good day for wales then?! (i took advantage of the fact that every welsh person
    would be watching to do the marin trail in virtual solitude)

the scoreline looks OK....?!

what happened in France-ireland?!
    - @ddraver
  • Two poor performances, but two wins. And that wasn't a try.

In the kingdom of the kiwis again....

It was a try, look and look again. Only Andy Nichol could sea patch of white paint kick up, but look after the boot left the ground and miraculously the line is unmarked. Good call by the video ref.

As for poor performance, thats damning the Scots with the faintest of praise. A great contest, however though as entirely expected not a great spectacle - wait for France for that, so long as Wales beat Italy and possibly Ireland. And anyone who does not agree that Williams' 2nd try isnt in the category marked "Fckg spectacular" must have been asleep with their eye closed, we'll be watching that one on BBCi player in 2028 I predict.

After all the bllx of the Western Mail today it was refreshing to see Hook taken off at 60" in the interests of public sanity. Maybe after all it takes a kiwi to spot the thin slivers of reality in the valleys....
  • Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
    Steve,

Watch the replay and look to the right of the touchline, behind the flag. There's a huge amount of dirt coming from somewhere, suddenly launched into the air. If that wasn't a foot, WTF caused it? I tend to prefer to believe in physics rather than magic but....

Credit to them for winning, but they've had a lot of really fortunate decisions in their favour & few against. Both the matches would have been hugely different if the decisions had gone the other way &, at best, they were 50/50 calls.

I said earlier, but this isn't looking like a good tournament, just lots of patchy rugby....

I'm shamed to say, but I think that Scotland are headed for the wooden spoon :oops: & the victors will be Wales or France, but Wales if they keep getting the decisions they have been getting :wink:
  • ddraver
    hmm so maybe Gatlin has this england isn't everything waled need (hic)....(hic)

yes its £ am and i'm ver y very drunk.....
    - @ddraver
  • robbarker
    It was a try - the mud is kicked up from his heel but only the ball of the foot was in contact with the ground and it was well inside the line - the replay on iplayer shows it clearly.

Not only was it a try, it was probably try of the tournament - absolute genius.
  • Richrd2205 wrote:
    Steve,

Watch the replay and look to the right of the touchline, behind the flag. There's a huge amount of dirt coming from somewhere, suddenly launched into the air. If that wasn't a foot, WTF caused it? I tend to prefer to believe in physics rather than magic but....
    Credit to them for winning, but they've had a lot of really fortunate decisions in their favour & few against. Both the matches would have been hugely different if the decisions had gone the other way &, at best, they were 50/50 calls.

I said earlier, but this isn't looking like a good tournament, just lots of patchy rugby....

I'm shamed to say, but I think that Scotland are headed for the wooden spoon :oops: & the victors will be Wales or France, but Wales if they keep getting the decisions they have been getting :wink:

Watch the replay again. Of course there was mud flying around from hos boot, but it has to touch the line to be out. He didn't touch the line. That is clear both from watching the point of impact of his foot, and confirmed by the fact that the line is undamaged i.e. no divot after he raises his foot.

Whether or not the score would have been different had it been disallowed is a question the wesh have been asking for the last 20 years or os of mostly indifferent performances / results, and we know its a fruitless exercise!
  • Richrd2205

Watch the replay again. Of course there was mud flying around from hos boot, but it has to touch the line to be out. He didn't touch the line. That is clear both from watching the point of impact of his foot, and confirmed by the fact that the line is undamaged i.e. no divot after he raises his foot.
    I've watched the replay several times, a divot suddenly flies up from behind the flag where there is only his boot & the ground. His foot must have either hit the ground to create the divot, or hit the ground to shake the mud loose. Given that his boot must have been in touch, it was a dodgy decision. This is largely irrelevant now since the try was awarded & can't be removed retrospectively, so it was a try, whether or no it was correctly awarded.
    Whether or not the score would have been different had it been disallowed is a question the wesh have been asking for the last 20 years or os of mostly indifferent performances / results, and we know its a fruitless exercise!
    I agree & am not trying to do this. Credit to them for taking advantage & Scotland & England should not have wobbled following these decisions. It's a shame when the referee's decisions are such big post-match discussions & overshadow the performance of the winning team to some degree. The commentators identified a penalty, a try & 2 offences that could have been sin-bin offences that all went Wales' way yesterday, which is far too much & reflects badly on the standard or refereeing, which was what I was trying to get at rather than talking about Wales.
  • Richrd2205 wrote:
    I've watched the replay several times, a divot suddenly flies up from behind the flag where there is only his boot & the ground. His foot must have either hit the ground to create the divot, or hit the ground to shake the mud loose. Given that his boot must have been in touch, it was a dodgy decision. This is largely irrelevant now since the try was awarded & can't be removed retrospectively, so it was a try, whether or no it was correctly awarded.

sorry to labour the point, but why?? His foot was not in touch when it hit the ground, it was clearly approx 2" inside the line. As his lifts off the ground, it roatest outwards and flicks either a divot or a lump of mud off the sole of his boot. The question is whether the heel of his boot brushed the line as it lifted up and rotated. IMO it didnt! Buts its soooo close we'll be arguing it for years to come! FWIW I thought Mark Cueto was unlucky in a similar situation during the world cup.
  • Richrd2205
    Steve

Can we agree to disagree? I still think it was cut & dried, but the try was awarded & arguing it seems a little irrelevant. So I'll stay silent...

You mention Cueto, but also Sackey last week, & Phillips not being penalised when he ignored the referee telling him he was offside this week. All of these were very close calls. Wales have +22 point difference so far & 17 points come out of, at best, 50/50 calls. What I'm trying to say is that TMOs were brought in to stop this sort of discussion &, if I were a Wales fan, I'd be annoyed that the results are subject to this sort of discussion. I tend to be fairly neutral WRT the home nations & am a bit annoyed at the standard of officiating (as well as the standard of rugby) in the tournament.
  • I think all teams suffer equally and benefit equally on average throughout a tournament on incorrect decisions,. Wales are no more or less lucky than the other teams in that respect.

So what happened in Italy???? Do England actually have a captain??

I think the most amsuing part is Brian Moore almost completely losing his marbles as the most unbaised and objective commentator in any team sport...ever!!
  • robbarker
    There's nothing like a bad loser ;-)

Quote of the day:

"They've kicked it away again. SH1T"

Brian Moore
  • Richrd2205
    That would have been funny if it wasn't so dull to watch! What is going on in the England dressing room at half-time? Are they experimenting with sleeping pills as possible performance enhancers?

To be fair to Brian Moore, I think it was more frustration at the terrible standard of rugby on offer. An average side should have humped England in the 2nd half (which is what happened last week).

What an awful tournament thus far: some stunning moments, but the bits in between have been really poor.
  • I should imagine there are flood warnings throughout the southern hemisphere with them all pssng themselves at the standard shown so far. Must be so looking forward to the next kittens, sorry Lions tour....
  • ddraver
    Oh good god in heaven save us from ourselves!!!!!

brian moore for England coach!!

(you re right about him being biased, if it was BBC2 england he'd be great but not so much for the whole country. The S4C commentators don't sound overly impartial to me, but i can't tell what they re saying obviously, Ironically its fine for england v wales cos eddie favours wales and so they balance each other out in a really good mix, england v anyone else though is a bit unfair on the opposistion)
    - @ddraver
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    I don't think Moores commentary is bad really. He's always offset by someone who's reasonably neutral anyway and its not as though he just cheers and shouts at the game. He knows what he's talking about and doesn't look at the game one eyed. You can tell who he wants to win but he offers enough insight for the commentary to be interesting. Its good to have a bit of bias too I think. Its nice to get a bit of exitement coming across rather than some 'mr chumley warner' style description of the events and nothing more.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    First of all, it was a try, definately.
    For thos who don't know the rule, to be in touch, a part of the body would have to be in contact with the ground on the touchline or outside the touchline, in the air is ok.
    As Williams was tackled his left foot was in contact with the pitch inside field of play, then as it lifted out of play, you can see the divet fly off his boot, but his foot was "inthe air" so not in touch, watch the replays.
    The other thing that had to be looked at was the contact with the corner flag but he managed to ground the ball just in time.
    With respect to commentator, I have to say I like the current setuo BBC have. I never liked Brian Moors as player but I think he is a good commentator and adds some fun to it, also Austin Healy provides good analysis as does Jiffy.
    Makes you think whay these guys have not been snapped up by the RFU's to provide some coaching?

Wales game this weekend? Almost like Englands against Wales, did not put away early chances, thoughh they did eventually score some good tries.

England Italy? Hmm, what happens to Englands pack in second half? England normally are very strong in back row, but second half yesterday they were useless and would have been punisged by a better team. I would be very worried against France, if they do not provide cover around fringes they will suffer.
    Italy only saw this gaps late on. There were many times an inside pass from outside half would have gone thorugh a huge gap, where were the flankers? I think Brian Moore also noticed this.
    I would go for Tate fullback, Balshaw is not up to the job, they should look at building a younger pack that can last 80 minutes also. It is no good having one of the best packs in the world for only 45 minutes!!!