6 Nations

Comments

• wow what a day! 70 mile audax then wales winning at twickers. To cap it all I slipped and fell down the stairs in the early hours and spent 3 hours with family in A&E to find ive split my toe open and cant walk let alone cycle for a few days ffs. What makes it really galling is I wasn't even pssd when it happened :evil:
  • It has taken a while to sink in.... no wonder Ashton was speechless. What a load of rubbish, I've always had my doubts re Balshaw, and as for Wilkinson and that pass. There seemed to be a total lack of leadership, which is staggering, given the experience there was out on the pitch. Do we have any better Scrum Halves, who are not injured!! :(:(

Does anyone know the extent of Tindall's injury, it looked pretty bad? still at least he will have Sara to kiss it better. :lol::lol:

Monday morning and all of a sudden everyone at the office is Welsh, oh well Murrayfield in a couple of weeks, deep joy. :? :?

"Remember, youre fighting for this womens honor, which is probably more than she ever did"
  • Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
    Tindall has a "bruised liver" & is under observation in hospital just now. He is likely to miss the rest of the tournament.
    (source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/7225333.stm )

I've not seen an opening weekend like this one: only France seem to have played to a reasonable level. Everyone else's games appear to be full of schoolboy errors, which made it look like they'd not played for several months & just met each other. Not really what I expect from (supposedly) some of the best teams in the world halfway through their domestic seasons.
    I guess it can only improve from here!
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Richrd2205 wrote:
    Tindall has a "bruised liver" & is under observation in hospital just now. He is likely to miss the rest of the tournament.
    (source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/7225333.stm )

I've not seen an opening weekend like this one: only France seem to have played to a reasonable level. Everyone else's games appear to be full of schoolboy errors, which made it look like they'd not played for several months & just met each other. Not really what I expect from (supposedly) some of the best teams in the world halfway through their domestic seasons.
    I guess it can only improve from here!

Ironically, the French have just met each other :D Thing is with France, they never seem to play well for two games in a row. I'd expect them to beat Ireland though.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    _44400256_wales.jpg
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    just remember you ver not won anything yet dragon...... no one will care if you loose the rest of the games a la last year...

I hope wales don't but it would nt be the first time...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Mike Willcox
    Mike Willcox Posts: 1,770
    edited February 2008
    redddragon

Posting that picture says more about you, and the rest of the welsh nation in thier attitude to the english, than anything anyone could say. Beating the welsh is NO big deal to us pal. We've been doing it for years.
  • redddraggon
    ddraver wrote:
    just remember you ver not won anything yet dragon

We've won the first match and passed the first test.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • redddraggon
    redddragon

Posting that picture says more about you, and the rest of the welsh nation in thier attitude to the english, than anything anyone could say. Beating the welsh is NO big deal to us pal. We've been doing it for years.

I also an Everton supporter, and beating Liverpool also brings that sort of Joy.

You're right you've been beating us for years at Twickenham, that's why it feels so good to finally get that victory. I can't remember ever beating England at Twickenham - I was 18 months old last time.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • All I can think to write is a load of abuse which will get me banned. I suppose if you haven't got a winning habit then you don't know how to behave as a winner should.
  • redddraggon
    All I can think to write is a load of abuse which will get me banned. I suppose if you haven't got a winning habit then you don't know how to behave as a winner should.

I don't know what your problem is Mike, all I did was post a few pictures from the BBC site, I haven't said anything inappropriate.

It seems like the loss has affected you negatively.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    hmm I think posting that picture shows the joy of welsh supporters in a really cool way - I just hope that england win the footy in a few days time otherwise there is going to be alot of unhappy brits doubting their countrys rugga and footy teams..

in terms of the everton/Liverpool thing - I wish I understood the whole thing and even tho I live on the wirral and work in Lpool I am not a red nor a blue.. I love football and may the best team win.. However when I grew up in South Africa I I was a bit envious of liverpool only probably because they used to win cups back then.. :oops:
    cartoon.jpg
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    redddragon

Mike, at your age you should have a better memory :D
    Surely you havent forgotten the time in the 70's when Wales beat England every game and England nearly always got the wooden spoon ? :D
    You have to remember that rugby in Wales is like football in England with respect to expectation.
    I also think you hit the nail on the head why England might not have won when you said it is no big deal to beat Wales. I think with the more experienced guys it probably does but maybe not so much with the newer players.
  • I've never seen a team implode like that before in my life. What the hell was going on they just starting throwing the ball anywhere, even Wilkinson lost the plot. it was the most bizarre way i've ever seen Wales win.

Well done Ospreylia I guess!
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    Hey come on. Nothing wrong with the Welsh celebrating the win. I don't blame then and I didn't see anything in your face about what Red posted. Hell, i'm sure there was alot worse being said in some pubs :roll: Luckily I was in a Welsh pub that had a nice bunch and some friendly banter. I've been in alot worse places for England games.

Anyway, back to the game. What an awful second half. I can't really remember much about it, not because I was drunk or anything, it just seemed to be chaotic. Balshaw proved what a shaky selection he was. Wales took advantage of Englands disorganisation and pulled off the win. I'm a fan of Ashton but I'm getting a bit worried about him. Gatland and Edwards seem to be doing a good job at Wales :roll:
  • ddraver
    and i think thats the first time i ve seen Mr Wilkinson have a complete shocker..... we needed a johnson or a Dalaligo (sp?) to come and buck everyones ideas up
    - @ddraver
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    all I did was post a few pictures from the BBC site, I haven't said anything inappropriate.
    Post as many victory pictures as you like, let's bask in this victory for as long as we can.

COME ON WALES!
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    edited January 2009
    redddragon

Beth sy'n bod 'da chi Mike? Dych chi'n sarrug? :-)

Amser newydd yn dechrau.. hefyd. Cymru am byth - twll din pob sais ;-)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    :D
  • heavymental
    ddraver wrote:
    and i think thats the first time i ve seen Mr Wilkinson have a complete shocker..... we needed a johnson or a Dalaligo (sp?) to come and buck everyones ideas up

Unfortunately we lost a several old heads when Moody and Tindall both went off. We had 3 debutants on then and as we were on the rack we didn't have the experience to fall back on and make the game safe. It was also rare to see Wilko not taking the game in hand and calming nerves. As Wales were fielding a team that plays together alot then they were able to catch us cold and use their advantage. In the second half we didn't look like a team at all.
  • robbarker wrote:
    redddragon

Beth sy'n bod 'da chi Mike? Dich chi'n sarrug? :-)

Amser newydd yn dechrau.. hefyd. Cymru am byth - twll din pob sais ;-)

Rob kelo fon dowhy wuff couy tuny?

The word "welsh" is in there somewhere.
  • heavymental
    Lets not start insulting each other in dead languages now :lol::wink:
  • Mr Willcox,

What you have to remember is that Wales have had a shocking few years, so to go to Twickenham and win there for the first time in 20 years is something for us to really savour. It was so unexpected and the way it was won (by a titanic comeback, coupled with an English implosion) makes it even more enjoyable. Surely you can understand the desire to celebrate it?

You should take it as a compliment that beating England means so much to some people!
    I was only joking when I said
    by rights you should be bludgeoned in your bed
  • Nexus
    Nexus Posts: 4
    I was disappointed in England's performance in the last half hour or so, two strings of errors proving completely catastrophic.

Still, it's not too bad if the Welsh promise not to win at Twickers for another twenty years :wink:
  • heavymental
    I don't think anyone minds a Welsh celebration as long as its not done with some aggressive finger pointing and an outright racist outburst. Thats all too often my experience of such events as an Englishman in Wales. Friendly banter is all good as far as I'm concerned. Then again I guess plenty of Welsh folk are on the end of some small minded comments from the English so maybe we should just shrug and turn the other cheek knowing that it'll always be that way.
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    It looks like Wilko might be cited for taking Jonathan Thomas out too.

We'd better get it dusted off ready...

spoon.jpg

:P

I support two teams: Wales, and anyone England are playing..
  • heavymental
    Laugh it up boys but remember we didn't look that great when we lost to South Africa in the pool stages of the world cup. A few weeks later we'd got to the final and Wales were at home booing us from their armchairs after losing to a tiny island nation in the pool stages. England have enough quality in the side to bounce back. Do Wales have enough quality in the side to go on and win the championship? A win against England is only good if you go on and win a title.

Its so sad that that is actually true for alot of people. One day those people might get over it eh Rob?!
  • redddraggon

Its so sad that that is actually true for alot of people. One day those people might get over it eh Rob?!

I'm a bit different. Nothing beats beating England, but if they're not playing Wales the dislike goes. Prefer the English to the Scottish, (all the Scottish I know are proper Arrogant tw@ts - David Moyes excepted, not that I know him personally), so enjoy it when the Scottish get hammered (except by France - dislike them even more).

I supported England in the last two world cup finals, as they were lesser of two evils.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • heavymental
    When I first came to Wales I had never realised what hatred there was towards the English. After a few years at college/uni where I had arrived thinking Wales was a friendly and admirably patriotic country, I got fed up of watching people turn into complete w@nkers whenever England were playing rugby (against Wales or anyone else) and I soon changed my opinion of the friendly nature of the people. I still feel that today despite living here for over 8 years now. There's always that feeling that you're an outsider and unwelcome so I avoid watching sport in pubs. There's too much hatred in the world to get angry about people just because they're English...or any other nationality, especially when its over sport. Just get on with life. I know a good number of people who cheered on the Boks in the final. Why would you want to cheer on SA? Its hardly a gleaming example of utopia.

Anyway, to be fair, I live and work among plenty of people who have a more mature attitude but knowing there's always the handful of racists in the pubs gets my goat. I guess this is also true of Welsh folk living in England and Scots in London so at the end of the day I accept that there will always be small minded idiots wherever you go in the world!
  • ddraver
    robbarker wrote:
    It looks like Wilko might be cited for taking Jonathan Thomas out too.

We'd better get it dusted off ready...

spoon.jpg

:P

lets just remember Wales have crashed out of the last two tornaments they ve been in...i can tell you from recent experience that it sucks to eat your words (OK so you can't crash out of the six nations, but last equal on points is pretty close...)

There was nothing deliberatly wrong with that tackle, if he'd happened to have hit his shoulder not his head it would be called a normal tackle and everyone would have got on with it...these things happen, its rugby
    - @ddraver