Richmond Park 3-lap Challenge - 2008

Comments

• london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    Had a run around tonight - along with half of London, it seemed. Mind you, it was around commuting time so that could explain it. Conditions were okay - but a reasonably strong south westerly made the stretch from richmond gate to kingston much slower.

Still, hacked 3 minutes off my last time which gets me closer to last year's best of 62 mins. Really beautiful night tonight as well...

Name............................Anti or Clock......Weight....Time.......Month

AndrewBye....................3laps/anti........75kg......52:07......Feb
    KingstonWheeler............3laps/anti........67kg......53:52......Feb
    seabadger......................3 laps/anti.......78kg......54:01......Mar
    CJ...................................3laps/anti........80kg......57:50......Mar
    RedGreenBaron.............3laps/anti........70kg......58:20......Jan
    AmateurDC.....................3 laps/anti.......88kg......58:45......Mar
    Shane p..........................3laps/anti........64Kg......58:45......Feb
    MatHammond..................3laps/Anti.......84kg......58.50......Feb
    Damo...............................3laps/Anti.......??kg......59.25......Mar
    rolo tumazi......................3laps/anti..........faah*.....59:25.....Apr
    Toks................................3laps/Anti.......73kg......59.30.....April
    toontra............................3laps/Anti........71kg......62.16.....April
    Gradiric...........................2Cloc/1Anti.....75kg......63.14.....Feb
    Les shaw.........................3laps/Anti..... 66kg......63:47[audax bike].....Apr
    Statts...............................3laps/Anti.......72kg......64.10.....Mar
    Guinea............................3laps/anti........84kg......64:17......Apr
    Christ-on-a-bike!.............3laps/Anti.......78kg......64:30.....Feb
    London-Red.............. ....3laps/anti.........84kg......65.07.......Feb
    Onehipwonder................3laps/anti........84kg......65.97......Mar
    Hobbes...........................3laps/anti........95kg......66.00......Mar
    KMahony ........... ....... ...3laps/Anti........98kg......66:31.......Feb
    bikecarbike.....................3laps/anti........100kg....71:30......Jan
    Greenbank......................3laps/anti.......78kg......72:32......Feb
    The Emu..........................3laps/Anti.......88kg......73.28.....Apr
    Wackyjack......................3 laps/Anti......92kg......79.15......Apr
  • Shavedlegs
    Shavedlegs Posts: 310
    Blimey, I blink and everyone has cut 5 minutes of their times!

Well done Guinea, inspirational stuff. Just shows you can reach your goals even if they seem distant at first.

Amateur DC how did you get on?

I've just made 2nd Cat which has pleased me no end, thought it might take more than five races. Now like Guinea I need a new goal for the season.

I've been off the bike a while trying to set the business up, but I will try to set a time this weekend. Anyone else about?

Alex
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    Ooh, cat2, congratulations!

I've got a little more motivation to get under the hour mark. I was speaking to the missus and she's agreed to my little plan...

Since I started to lose weight I've set myself goals and rewards. I've bought myself camera lenses, a kayak and of course the wilier. If I get under an hour this summer, then I'm going to get a set of very bling wheels. So Alex, I may be in touch for a set of Shamals before the end of the year :)
  • hobbescp
    hobbescp Posts: 197
    I'm interested to know, how much difference does really good kit make to your times on here e.g. comparing a session using a £2k bike to an entry level £500 bike.

If you put the same rider on each bike are we talking seconds or minutes difference on a 3 lap time?
  • guinea
    I'm guessing it really only makes seconds of a difference but it could be more.

I saw a calculation that worked out you'd save a second every mile by having a lower spoke count (with aero spokes). That alone would get you 20 secs after three laps. I guess that kind of gain could be made all over the bike.

However, my big gains have all been due to increased fitness, concentration and technique. I take the corners much faster than I used to, get on the drops for longer period and push myself harder without blowing up.
  • hobbescp
    hobbescp Posts: 197
    ahh, don't worry, that wasn't a back handed dig at your improved times (congrats btw, you've pushed me further down the list!) - I am just curious as to how much difference it makes.

I ride a £500 bike and there's no doubt in my mind that shifting excess body weight will make me much faster than upgrading my bike.
  • guinea
    No worries, it didn't cross my mind you were maybe having a dig.

It's just that for me upgrading kit is useless as there's no way I could assess if it was me or the gear that made a difference.

If you've got a large bike I'm happy to swap for a lap or three and see if my times go up and yours down. Even though I spent £2k+ on my steed I'm not that convinced it makes a huge difference. I only bought the bike I did because itwas comfortable and looked nice :)
  • sorry about the posting blunder group. i'll remember next time to post my time proper when i manage to break into my season's best.

i'm just sitting staring out the office window dreaming of a 3-lapper. won't have any time during the next week :cry:

conciliation will be coming through by watching the paris-roubaix on sunday though. my money is fabian!
  • The emu
    The emu Posts: 347
    Well I went for a ride this morning. Beautiful conditions except for a deceivingly tough wind on the way down From Richmond Gate to Kingston (Is that a Northerly?).

I actually felt like rubbish on my first lap but slowly improved and just tried to focus on getting into a rythm.

Thought I was on track to shave 3 minutes off my time and get under 70, as I left a bit in the tank for a sprint finish up the hill, but much to my devastation turned for the last time to head back up to Richmond Gate to find the wind had changed and stiffened, and I was straight into it :(

Throw in a mechanical problem that had be sidelined for 15 seconds and my time is 72:18. It's over a minute off my PB so I guess I can't complain.

MatHammond..................3laps/Anti.......84kg......58.50......Feb
    Les shaw.........................3laps/Anti..... 66kg......63:47[audax bike].....Apr
    The Emu..........................3laps/Anti.......88kg......72.18.....Apr

Cheers

Wilf

The long grazed legged one
  • AndrewBye
    AndrewBye Posts: 35
    Riding on my TT bike is probably worth for me about 30s a lap (at a guess)

I'm more comfortable on my road bike (as I ride it a lot more). All the little get out of the saddle and stamp on the pedal hills are better suited to riding the road bike. But on the flatter straight sections of the lap the TT bike probably does give a couple of KM / h advantage.
  • AmateurDC
    AmateurDC Posts: 26
    Shavedlegs wrote:
    Blimey, I blink and everyone has cut 5 minutes of their times!

Well done Guinea, inspirational stuff. Just shows you can reach your goals even if they seem distant at first.

Amateur DC how did you get on?

I've just made 2nd Cat which has pleased me no end, thought it might take more than five races. Now like Guinea I need a new goal for the season.

I've been off the bike a while trying to set the business up, but I will try to set a time this weekend. Anyone else about?

Alex

I'm afraid I never got round to it. Rowing training is underway and takes precedence. Seeing as I have been out of it for a while the rowing will make a big big difference. 13 sessions a week must do my times some good when I come back after henley. So I'll get back on in mid July and let you know how I do. Hopefully 52 minutesish considering how little training I was doing to get the recent times.
  • The emu
    The emu Posts: 347
    Went for a ride again this morning, but was a bit late getting out of bed and didn't get out there until late morning.

Lap 1, Felt really strong into the breeze, powered up the rise down the bottom of Kingston but then got held up by a slow Volvo driver for a good length of the segment going down hill with the wind :x

Cost me at least a minute but went around on track to make some minor imrprovement on my time, on the basis that I wasn't held up any more.

Lap 2, alas not only was I constrantly breaking heading down to Kingston, on the way back up had to deal with another chain of cars for almost the length of the same fast segment along with having to stop as a little nipper who decided in the middle of the road to stop and play with some horse sh*t. :x

Lap 3.....there was no third lap, got p*ssed off and went home. :evil:

The long grazed legged one
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Got up nice and early this morning, got to RP by 8am and did 3 quick laps in almost perfect conditions (bit windy but not bad). Managed to knock 50 secs off my season's best, but not really happy as felt like I was on for a better time - need to keep working at it!

MatHammond..................3laps/Anti.......84kg......58.00......Apr
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    AmateurDC wrote:
    [?
    I'm afraid I never got round to it. Rowing training is underway and takes precedence. Seeing as I have been out of it for a while the rowing will make a big big difference. 13 sessions a week must do my times some good when I come back after henley. So I'll get back on in mid July and let you know how I do. Hopefully 52 minutesish considering how little training I was doing to get the recent times.
    Let me be clear, are you expecting to ride faster because of rowing training?
  • guinea
    Good job getting a PB today!

I arrived at 9am this morning and was on for a very quick lap until the turn on to Sawyers Hill for the drag to the Richmond gate. The wind wasn't as bad as yesterday but still enough to take a huge chunk out of my time. I would say it adds at least a minute onto my lap times.
  • MatHammond wrote:
    Got up nice and early this morning, got to RP by 8am and did 3 quick laps in almost perfect conditions (bit windy but not bad). Managed to knock 50 secs off my season's best, but not really happy as felt like I was on for a better time - need to keep working at it!

Ok Mat I'll pick up the gauntlet - you've pushed me down to 6. Revenge should come in the next fortnight, God willing.
    Just need to let my pins recover from yesterday's margarine fest.

Thinking about Toks' question about rowing as cycle-x-training, I've found that my cycling has helped my running no end (at least 15 mins!), with much less collateral damage, but I haven't really tested vice versa (I was a jogger before an RP biker). I'm happy to believe that anything that keeps your heart rate up there for long enough should have a positive impact on all the cardio sports. Swimming, on the other hand,.......
  • BrianMc
    BrianMc Posts: 2
    BrianMc..........................3 laps/anti.......76kg......54:29......Apr
  • BrianMc wrote:

Well done Brian. What's your aim (not that you can't already be happy with that)?

Nick
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Went out on Saturday morning for this first attempt of the year (10mth old baby in the house has reduced the amount of time available for riding over winter!). Beautiful day, but rather windy. Loads of bikes on the road and very few cars, which was nice. 6 mins worse than last year's PB so there is work to be done. Replacing a suspect bottom bracket this weekend then waiting for the wind to drop then I'll give it another crack - by the end of summer I'm hoping to break the hour mark, but it isn't going to happen unless I get out more.....

Gussio...........................3laps/Anti........87kg......67:03......Apr
  • BrianMc
    BrianMc Posts: 2
    BrianMc wrote:

Well done Brian. What's your aim (not that you can't already be happy with that)?

Nick

Hi Nick,
    Am tryin to move up the racing categories..
    Need to join a club I think, get a bit more experience of riding with people.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    is there any reason why everyone seems to cycle anti clockwise? ive been going clockwise - is one way quicker than the other?

new to this - training for a triathlon so am doing four laps but think my 3 lap time would be about 66 mins. aim to do it sometime in the summer properly and aiming to get down to 60 mins.
  • daveys
    daveys Posts: 6
    Been riding round the park on and off since i bought my bike in mid jan and always wondered how i was doing. Got my time down to 64 and 25 secs and am pretty pleased on the whole as i started off at about 77 mins the first time i did 3 laps in early march, a 60 min lap is my goal i suppose. rookie i think anti is a bit tougher than clock but i'm also a novice so someone else would probably know better than me. Happy pedaling everyone.

Steve D.

daveys..........................3laps/anti........75kg......64.25.....Apr
    Gussio...........................3laps/Anti........87kg......67:03......Apr
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Shamed by Saturday's efforts I "worked" from home today, stripped and cleaned the BB cups, and took 3 mins off my time...

Gussio...........................3laps/Anti........87kg......63:48......Apr
  • guinea
    Did a few laps this morning at around 69 minutes but the traffic was bad. There was also a westerly wind making the drag to Richmond Gate harder than it needs to be.

I was bored tonight so cycled back to the Park. The wind had changed and was coming from the east and I was able to do it in 65 minutes. I was getting cramp twinges in my left calf so had hold back. At the weekend into the wind I was averaging 13mph with a HR of 140+. Tonight I was over 20mph on the drag to Richmond Gate with an HR of 120. What a diference the wind make.

The next time I get out with fresh legs and an easterly wind I should be able to get another minute or so closer to the hour.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BrianMc wrote:
    Hi Nick,
    Am tryin to move up the racing categories..
    Need to join a club I think, get a bit more experience of riding with people.

Hello again Brian,
    This may not be the right forum for mentioning clubs, but if you live reasonably close to RP then my club the London Dynamos might be one of the convenient clubs. Sat morning round RP (Sheen roundabout 9am) and sunday morning to Surrey (Kingston gate 8am medium-fast, Hampton Ct bridge 9am slower). Non-members welcome. If you want moral support let me know (pm me?).

Nick
  • Bush75
    Bush75 Posts: 29
    KingstonWheeler............3laps/anti........68kg......53:00......Apr
    Bush75...........................3laps/Anti.......78kg.......60.10....April

I was too embarassed to enter my 65 min effort last week - but happy with 60.10 in windy conditions this am. Last week I am blaming on jetlag, hangover and any other excuse anyone can summon up.

Hoping to nail the hour by May. It's amazing how hard you can go when you focus on keeping HR above a level - makes it more like a Turbo session for me.
  • guinea
    edited April 2008
    I took advantage of the wind and a couple of rest days to put in a decent effort this morning. I did an extra couple of laps and realised that I would have lapped myself on my first time.

Tomorrow's wind should be good for a few records to get broken.

Guinea............................3laps/anti........84kg......62:34......Apr
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    Bush75 wrote:
    It's amazing how hard you can go when you focus on keeping HR above a level .
    Hey nice work mate. Don't be a slave to your HRM. Its speed/power that important :D
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Man, that was frustrating. Conditions were good, traffic was bad :(
    With the finish roundabout in sight (ish), I had to stop and crawl behind a queue of traffic that was stopping to let pedestrians cross...

I put myself at the end of the 58:45 block coz I did it later than the others (strictly Shane p should have the honour there: lighter and earlier)

Note to self: get up earlier

JonGinge ........................3laps/anti........67Kg......58:45......Apr
    Guinea............................3laps/anti........84kg......62:34......Apr
    Wackyjack......................3 laps/Anti......92kg......79.15......Apr[/quote]
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides