Richmond Park 3-lap Challenge - 2008

Comments

• The emu
    The emu Posts: 347
    I'm new to London (Yes another Aussie), and have been waiting patiently for my bike to come through from back order.

Its now sitting in my living room ready to rock, but still waiting on a couple of things to come in before taking off. I can't wait.

I haven't ridden in 6 months, and in hindsight would have been better served bringing my old bike over here with me (someone told me bikes were cheap over here :shock: ).

Anyway, back to to topic on hand. I'm keen on having a real crack at this challenge not living too far away (West Kensi), but my LBS mentioned that there are speed limits on these roads and the cops are out in force (including cyclists).

Any truth in this rumour?

I'll post my times when done, but I don't expect anything speedy given my fitness and get accustomed to my new treadly.

The long grazed legged one
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    There is a 20mph limit on the roads in the park. This was introduced a few years ago to try and limit the roadkill of deer by cars. There is occasional enforcement by the police. They are usually positioned on the clockwise downhill between the richmond and sheen gates. I prefer anti-clockwise anyway :)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Tbh, if you want to do the best time you can, you need to get there in early morning or around closing time, when there's much less traffic.

Looking forward to see your times, DC and Emu. Might have a couple of guys who challenge the likes of Shavedlegs and Andy Bye? :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • AmateurDC
    AmateurDC Posts: 26
    Yeah I scrapped my initial plan as I am not fit enough yet, and doing single hard laps is not going to help me much in that respect, and I need to get my bike into better shape as well as myself before I can post top times, but 50 minutes is still my target for April 20th.
  • AmateurDC
    Also, regarding Emu's post, does the speed limit really apply to cyclists in practice. I'm sure they know the park is a valuable resource for cyclists so I doubt the police enforce it against cyclists.
  • cjcp
    AmateurDC wrote:
    Also, regarding Emu's post, does the speed limit really apply to cyclists in practice. I'm sure they know the park is a valuable resource for cyclists so I doubt the police enforce it against cyclists.

Cyclists have been stopped. IIRC, the Met became involved in patrolling the Park and I think there's also a Park bye law concerning cyclists' speed. Is that right, folks?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • The emu
    The emu Posts: 347
    20mph = 32kmh....WTF?

I'm no speed demon but can only imagine if the cops are around, overtaking cars at speed on a bike will stick out like the proverbial (speed gun or no speed gun)....

Thanks for the heads up, will make the challenge even more interesting.

The long grazed legged one
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    It's not that bad. Very few cars obey the limits. Even if you're pedaling at 25mph the cars still all fly past you. It's rare to get slowed down too much.

The only place I get slowed regularly is the steep descent at the south of the park where you'll exceed 30mph for a while. This and the occaisional roundabout queue is the only place I regularly lose time.
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    Just keep ya head up when you on the top of the climbs. The cops usually wait at the bottom of the descents with speed guns in hand :D
  • cjcp
    A policeman was at the top of the steep hill at 8am this morning checking the speed of cars coming from Kingston Gate (anti-c/wise).
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • seabadger
    seabadger Posts: 26
    Anyone know if the roadworks have finished?
  • AmateurDC
    I'm off now I'll let you know
  • danseur
    danseur Posts: 70
    Apparently the police have stopped a number of cyclists and written down their names / told them off. They have only fined one cyclist clocked at 41mph!

The police are under pressure from other users of the Park to treat all road users the same so they are unlikely to let up in the near future.
  • AmateurDC
    This cyclist speeding issue is a joke frankly, you can speed on a mountain bike. How many deer have been killed/injured due to cyclists, and how many cyclists injured by deer, any stats, I'm sure there is quite a different league between cyclist and car incidents. Anyway, I started training on a daily basis at last the other day, did 3 laps with my dad and was pretty average but at least I got them done. Did some indoor fitness yesterday and finally got round to doing a timed three laps, got 60" which I'm happy with for my first go. Hopefully I can knock it down to 58" by the end of the week. Still targeting 50" for a month's time.
  • AmateurDC
    Road works are still there which was irritating
  • AmateurDC
    58:45
  • Been meaning to do the three lap challenge for ages, I usually two then rest then two, sub 20 minutes (just) each. So when I finally try the 3 lap on bank hol Monday I find there are some road block road works and horizontal ice and snow and more snow and I did 1 hr 9 mins. Never did a hot chocolate at Pen Ponds taste so sweet. Looking on the bright side I can only get quickerwhen it gets warmer. Anyone else crazy enough to ber out monday, how much slower were you ?
  • Toks
    Hey Christopher L and Amateur DC glad to see your efforts. Please follow the thread protocol and put your times in with the rest of the list. Cheers Toks :D
  • AmateurDC
    AndrewBye....................3laps/anti........75kg......52:07......Feb
    KingstonWheeler............3laps/anti........67kg......53:52......Feb
    seabadger......................3 laps/anti.......78kg......54:01......Mar
    CJ...................................3laps/anti........80kg......57:50......Mar
    RedGreenBaron.............3laps/anti........70kg......58:20......Jan
    AmateurDC.....................3 laps/anti.......88kg......58:45......Mar
    Shane p..........................3laps/anti........64Kg......58:45......Feb
    MatHammond..................3laps/Anti.......84kg......58.50......Feb
    Damo...............................3laps/Anti.......??kg......59.25......Mar
    Toks................................3laps/Anti.......73kg......61.00.....Jan
    Gradiric...........................2Cloc/1Anti.....75kg......63.14.....Feb
    Statts...............................3laps/Anti.......72kg......64.10.....Mar
    Christ-on-a-bike!.............3laps/Anti.......78kg......64:30.....Feb
    toontra............................3laps/Anti........75kg......65.42.....Feb
    Les shaw........................3laps/Anti........67kg......65.45 [touring bike].. Feb
    Onehipwonder................3laps/anti........84kg......65.97......Mar
    Hobbes...........................3laps/anti........95kg......66.00......Mar
    KMahony ........... ....... ...3laps/Anti........98kg......66:31.......Feb
    London-Red.............. ....3laps/Clock.....84kg......68.20.......Feb
    Guinea............................3laps/anti........87kg......71:27......Mar
    bikecarbike.....................3laps/anti........100kg....71:30......Jan
    Greenbank......................3laps/anti.......78kg......72:32......Feb

Heheh cheekily above Shane, but there were road works to be fair. I was wondering since I've only done 11 laps in total, is it better to go anti-clockwise, seeing as most people are doing so I assume it is. I decided to because when my Dad took me round he did the first lap anti, and the other two clock, and it is bloody hard going kingston to richmond. I find going anti you have two hard climbs, but they are relatively short and sharp so once you get them out of the way you can pick yourself up again pronto.
  • AmateurDC
    Are there any races in the summer, I'm looking to get sub 50" by July, so I'd like to start seeing what racing is like, I'll never be fantastic till I stop rowing because of upper body muscle restricting my bottom weight boundary to a very very lean 80kg. But it would be interesting.
  • Toks
    AmateurDC wrote:
    Are there any races in the summer, I'm looking to get sub 50" by July, so I'd like to start seeing what racing is like, I'll never be fantastic till I stop rowing because of upper body muscle restricting my bottom weight boundary to a very very lean 80kg. But it would be interesting.
    July is possibly a bit more realistic. Sub 50 next month is gonna be a tall order. There a lots oof races check out the BCF website. You'll need a license for most races. http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/si ... future.asp
  • danseur wrote:
    Apparently the police have stopped a number of cyclists and written down their names / told them off. They have only fined one cyclist clocked at 41mph!

The police are under pressure from other users of the Park to treat all road users the same so they are unlikely to let up in the near future.

To belatedly add to what danseur has mentioned, the police are actually very supportive of cycling in RP, with the Inspector in charge being an ex time trialist. They have to respond to the parks authority, by which they are employed to enforce limits, when there are genuine complaints, so not annoying other park users is a really good idea.
    Apparently, the police have issued hundreds of fines to motorists in the last few months.

My club, the Dynamos, has a rep on the RP panel, and a pretty good relationship with the police. Reps of other cycle groups are presumably welcome to join also.

A handy excuse for never improving on my time!?

Nick
  • The emu wrote:
    I'm new to London (Yes another Aussie).
    I haven't ridden in 6 months, and in hindsight would have been better served bringing my old bike over here with me (someone told me bikes were cheap over here :shock: ).

Anyway, back to to topic on hand. I'm keen on having a real crack at this challenge not living too far away (West Kensi) quote]

Hi Emu,
    I also live in West Ken (gledstanes); yes despite not being antipodean (though I guess I am to you) they still let me in, so let me know if I can help/you want to know a good route down/you need a track pump etc. I work from home so sometimes cycle daytimes during the week.
    Nick
  • guinea
    I'm delighted with tonights run. I made it below 1hr 10 minutes for the first time. There is plenty room for improvement was the road works are still there forcing an off road excursion and I was quite slow on the faster sections due to not wanting to risk pusing it with the poor visibility in the dark.

Damo...............................3laps/Anti.......??kg......59.25......Mar
    Les shaw........................3laps/Anti........67kg......65.45 [touring bike].. Feb
    Guinea............................3laps/anti........84kg......69:47......Mar
  • cjcp
    Nice one, Guinea.

Anyone know when these roadworks are supposed to be completed? I've not checked the signs myself.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • damo_d_b
    damo_d_b Posts: 18
    After a good first lap this morning I seemed to have lost a bit of concentration and slipped back sightly. Still a bit of a headwind between Roehampton Gate and Richmond Gate, but possibly not as bad as it has been. Also had the usual obstacles and delays which added on a few more seconds. But generally quite happy with how it went.

The road works were still going on this morning, but looked like they may be coming to an end soon.

Damo...............................3laps/Anti.......??kg......58.47......Mar
    Guinea............................3laps/anti........84kg......69:47......Mar
  • guinea
    I did a few slow laps this morning. The wind + the mileage I've done this week means that it was pretty hard for me today and my time was very poor.

I actually made it through one lap going over the new road while they took away the fencing. The surface is very nice. The patch it replaced was always a reminder of the coming climb.
  • guinea
    It looks like my cycling time will be severely limited for a while as my mother is coming to stay for a fortnight. I decided to take the chance this morning to get a few miles in.

I left the house at 6am and headed the 5 miles to RP. Banged in a few fast laps. I really tried to concentrate on keeping going. Too often I daydream and dawdle for a few minutes. There was none of that today.

I kept on the pace. The first lap was completed before the gates were open. I noticed it was fairly quick and this gave me the motivation to push it on. The next two were even faster.

I did it in 67:08 taking 2:39 off my time. Some of that will be the fact the roadworks are now complete, but I really did feel like I was flying today. My goal was to get under 70 minutes this year. I guess I need a new one. 60 seems almost impossible to me. Averaging 20mph around that place is a distant dream. I'm going to try to get under 65.

Damo...............................3laps/Anti.......??kg......58.47......Mar
    Guinea............................3laps/anti........84kg......67:08......Mar
  • Fantastic, Guinea
    was tracking your blog last year and really excited to see the result of all your hard work off and on the bike in this very respectable time.
    I hope your calorie intake has made it into 4 figures now!

Nick
  • guinea
    Thanks for the support.

I decided to stop updating the blog at Christmas time last year, although I get many requests to update it. It served its purpose , which was to keep me motivated to lose all my lard.

Yes, my calorie count has increased significantly, and my weight is still good. I'm eating around 1900 cals a day. Any more than that and I put on weight due to my decreased metabolism. As I ride more and get my muscle back the metabolism will increase - as will my food intake.