Richmond Park 3-lap Challenge - 2008

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Yeah, Guinea, great effort. :D There's no way that's down to an absence of roadworks. That's a a huge chunk of time off your PB. In terms of distance on the road, that's easily from the Roehampton Gate car park entrance up to and beyond the roundabout turning to Sheen Gate.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    Nice work indeed Guinea, more than 15mins off your first ever effort if I recall :D

Name............................Anti or Clock......Weight....Time.......Month AndrewBye....................3laps/anti........75kg......52:07......Feb
    KingstonWheeler............3laps/anti........67kg......53:52......Feb
    seabadger......................3 laps/anti.......78kg......54:01......Mar
    CJ...................................3laps/anti........80kg......57:50......Mar
    RedGreenBaron.............3laps/anti........70kg......58:20......Jan
    AmateurDC.....................3 laps/anti.......88kg......58:45......Mar
    Shane p..........................3laps/anti........64Kg......58:45......Feb
    MatHammond..................3laps/Anti.......84kg......58.50......Feb
    Damo...............................3laps/Anti.......??kg......59.25......Mar
    Toks................................3laps/Anti.......73kg......61.00.....Jan
    Gradiric...........................2Cloc/1Anti.....75kg......63.14.....Feb
    Statts...............................3laps/Anti.......72kg......64.10.....Mar
    Christ-on-a-bike!.............3laps/Anti.......78kg......64:30.....Feb
    toontra............................3laps/Anti........75kg......65.42.....Feb
    Les shaw........................3laps/Anti........67kg......65.45 [touring bike].. Feb
    Onehipwonder................3laps/anti........84kg......65.97......Mar
    Hobbes...........................3laps/anti........95kg......66.00......Mar
    KMahony ........... ....... ...3laps/Anti........98kg......66:31.......Feb
    London-Red.............. ....3laps/Clock.....84kg......68.20.......Feb
    Guinea............................3laps/anti........84kg......69:47......Mar bikecarbike.....................3laps/anti........100kg....71:30......Jan
    Greenbank......................3laps/anti.......78kg......72:32......Feb
  • Shavedlegs
    Shavedlegs Posts: 310
    Wow. That's just brilliant Guinea.

I've been waiting for you to post that message. It's a great achievement.

Hope to meet again soon and shake your hand.
    Alex
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    I went back and looked at my first lap time from the other thread. It was over 1hr 25mins and I felt like death after it. I remember going home, sinking into the bath and falling asleep. Nowadays after three laps I do a couple more for a warm down.

I actually went to Richmond park twice before I set my first time. On each of those occaisions I didn't even finish three laps. I was too knackered.

I have to say, this thread (and its predesessor) has given me great motivation. Without it I wouldn't have known about the great a cycling resource that Richmond Park is. This thread has also given ma a target to aim at.

Thanks for the support all, see you down there...
  • rolo tumazi......................3laps/anti..........faah*.....59:25.....Apr

*faah = fat as a house. i'll use more appropriate units when i can find the scales.
    your move mr billios!
  • Toks
    rolotumazi wrote:
    rolo tumazi......................3laps/anti..........faah*.....59:25.....Apr

*faah = fat as a house. i'll use more appropriate units when i can find the scales.
    your move mr billios!
    Hi rolo tumazi its the Ricmond Park thread police here. Excellent first effort. If you're going to let us all know how you've done (which of course we want) Please put yours entry in with the others. Once people start to post individual entries it starts to get messy. Oh sod it I'll do it for you. Well done :D

Name............................Anti or Clock......Weight....Time.......Month AndrewBye....................3laps/anti........75kg......52:07......Feb
    Les shaw........................3laps/Anti........67kg......65.45 [touring bike].. Feb
    Guinea............................3laps/anti........84kg......69:47......Mar bikecarbike.....................3laps/anti........100kg....71:30......Jan
  • Les shaw
    Les shaw Posts: 10
    :D So I've put the touring bike away until next winter, spruced up me audax bike and donned a pair of cruddy shorts to 'ave another bash. One can't legislate for who or what you're gonna have to negotiate in Richmond Park. F'rinstance: A brisk westerley wind intent on pushing you backwards on the first drag after Sheen gate, then cars wanting to turn into the cp at the top and block the inside lane [for a cyclist], an ambulance forcing the car in front of me to just pull over despite there being enough room and the said ambulance was going in the opposite direction :evil: Grrr! Then finally on the home stretch 100 mts before the cafe I overtook a cyclist, who I kid you not, at the very moment of me overtaking him without the meerest glance over his shoulder decided to pull over to the otherside of the road! :shock: I don't know who was more alarmed but we escaped and I called him a "nutter". The more I think about it I'm the "nutter".

Anyone recommend a time of day to attempt this 3 lap challenge in relative peace?

Les shaw.........................3laps/Anti..... 66kg......63:47[audax bike].....Apr
  • "Anyone recommend a time of day to attempt this 3 lap challenge in relative peace?"

That's the joy of it - the chance of perfect conditions is almost zero so there's always an improvement out there waiting for you - even if it's in the hands of an inattentive dogwalker, or a driver actually obeying the limit.

V. early at w/e or between 10 and 12 weekday morning probably best.
  • Well somebody has to go at the bottom...

Name
    Anti or Clock----Weight
    Time
    Month

Wackyjack
    3 laps/Anti
    92kg
    April

Still think we should include age range so us "novice veterans" don't feel so humiliated....
  • guinea
    Don't be embarassed! I was far slower than you on my first attempt. Use it as motivation to get out more.

Les shaw.........................3laps/Anti..... 66kg......63:47[audax bike].....Apr
    Guinea............................3laps/anti........84kg......67:08......Mar
    bikecarbike.....................3laps/anti........100kg....71:30......Jan
    Wackyjack......................3 laps/Anti......92kg......79.15......Apr
  • The emu
    The emu Posts: 347
    Thanks RedGreenBaron for the offer.

I'm actually in W14 (Near Olympia) but still neighbours I guess.

As it happens, I've just started a new job and there are days when I'll be working from home. Weather permitting, I plan to take advantage of this and get a lot of K's (Sorry Miles) under my belt as unfortunately I'm seriously unfit.

Not having done barely any fitness in 6 months and then after bungin my knee up just as my new bike arrived a month ago, I'm just easing into it, embarrasingly so might I add.

I took my first ride around Richmond to familiarise myself with the track, but with so many fellow riders it was so demoralising getting overtaken as often as I did I didn't hang around to do 3 laps. (22 minute lap :oops:)

Can I just say though, on a serious note it is inspiring it is to see so many people both running and riding in the park today, and in particular the number of para athletes out on the roads.

The long grazed legged one
  • cjcp
    The emu wrote:

As it happens, I've just started a new job and there are days when I'll be working from home. Weather permitting, I plan to take advantage of this and get a lot of K's (Sorry Miles) under my belt as unfortunately I'm seriously unfit.

Not having done barely any fitness in 6 months and then after bungin my knee up just as my new bike arrived a month ago, I'm just easing into it, embarrasingly so might I add.

I took my first ride around Richmond to familiarise myself with the track, but with so many fellow riders it was so demoralising getting overtaken as often as I did I didn't hang around to do 3 laps. (22 minute lap :oops:)

Can I just say though, on a serious note it is inspiring it is to see so many people both running and riding in the park today, and in particular the number of para athletes out on the roads.

Seriously unfit at 22 min laps. :shock: Just how fit were you six months ago!?

Your comment about the Park is spot on. I'd never seen anything like it when I moved hee three years ago. I'm sure that a number of the athletes in wheelchairs have competed/do compete for GB.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • The emu
    I'm never seriously fast, but I'm basing my comment more on how comfortable (or lack of comfort) I rode.

The way I am at the moment harks me back to the days when I first started riding a few years ago, it's not that enjoyable but with every ride I'll gain my fitness back and the enjoyment follows.

Once I get my first time up on the board, my first target is doing the 3 lap challenge under an hour. Am tempted about heading out this afternoon for a crack but really hesitant of ice on the roads. What are peoples thoughts on this?

• cjcp
    I very much doubt there'll be ice because the temperature didn't drop that far. But it might be a bit slippy being wet.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • The emu
    No your right,

I ended up going out and completing my first 3 lapper.

No ice, but riding in the snow on the second lap was a novel concept.

So after being over taken first by a guy wearing tracky dacks, and then a chap with mudguards on his treadly, :roll: I finished with a lame 73:28. I'd say the wind was tough, but then it's probably normal for Richmond Park.

Guinea............................3laps/anti........84kg......67:08......Mar
    The Emu..........................3laps/Anti.......88kg......73.28.....Apr

Rock on!

• guinea
    edited April 2008
    Recently I beat my season's target of 70 minutes and last monday I managed to hit my new PB of 67:08. A few days later in perfect conditions I tried again. I got sub 22 for the first lap and I started to dream of a 66 minute lap. I pushed too hard though and blew up. I finished with 68:35 - about a minute and a half slower than my PB. I thought at this point that it would be a good while before I beat my current time and my new target of a sub 65 time was a challenge.

Tonight changed that.

I popped down to do a 6 lap session and I noticed that my time getting to RP was faster than normal so I decided to push on. I was a lot more comfortable in the drops today and was sailing at around 30mph overtaking cars on the descent between Richmond and Ham gates.

My first lap was 21.21. I decided to push on and not worry about blowing up. The second lap was slightly faster 21.18 even though I got held up on the drap back up to Richmond gate by some deer spotters. I knew I was onto something so I pushed hard on the last lap. The drag to Richmond gate was hard into the wind and my speed dropped a lot, but I still made it in 21.38. I didn't actually know my time until I got home and added up my split times. I was delighted to see I got 64.17.

Rather than try to create another easy goal, I might as well now focus on getting under 60 minutes. I was held up at least 30 seconds today...

Guinea............................3laps/anti........84kg......64:17......Apr
  • cjcp
    Guinea: awesome. Sub-one hour here we come.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Toks
    "After a thorough test a couldn't find any problems. More traffic, dozy deer, further wheel screeching and my own paranoia continue to slow me down even further so I was left with a 3 lap time of 59.30 mins. Booo! didn't even make top 10" http://theademerckx2008racingfiles.blogspot.com/"

Toks................................3laps/Anti.......73kg......59.30.....April
    Wackyjack......................3 laps/Anti......92kg......79.15......Apr[/quote]
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    edited April 2008
    Just knocked almost 4 minutes off my previous best - well pleased. Put it down to: fairly light wind today, no traffic holdups, a new (lighter) bike, losing 12lb of body weight, but especially doing power training intervals in the gym - they really seem to help with the hills. The magical 1 hour is within sight!

Name............................Anti or Clock......Weight....Time.......Month

AndrewBye....................3laps/anti........75kg......52:07......Feb
    Toks................................3laps/Anti.......73kg......59.30.....April
    toontra............................3laps/Anti........71kg......62.16.....April

a serious case of small cogs
  • Toks
    Hey Fantastic effort Tontra. Yes indeed you'll soon be able to call it an 'hour of power' :D
  • guinea
    toontra wrote:
    Just knocked almost 4 minutes off my previous best

Great effort, well done!

Oh, and thanks for knocking me back into the bottom ten, just after I crawled out :D
  • toontra
    guinea wrote:
    toontra wrote:
    Just knocked almost 4 minutes off my previous best

Great effort, well done!

Oh, and thanks for knocking me back into the bottom ten, just after I crawled out :D

I'm sure you won't be there for long :wink: See you the other side of 1 hour :)

• AmateurDC
    AmateurDC Posts: 26
    Going for 54 minutes tomorrow in my third 3 lap challenge lol. I have not done it for a week and a bit now so I'm pretty nervous. If I can manage it I'll try and get sub 50 before I turn 19.
  • The emu wrote:

Hi again emu.
    You're going to have lots of fun seeing your time plunge. I'm a bit jealous - went out today in lovely conditions, though with one hand metaphorically tied behind my back since I'm not meant to be killing myself (marathon on sunday), and reckon that even if I'd stayed for 3 laps I would only have matched my previous best.
    I hadn't checked the site, so I hadn't seen your post about daytime cycles. I'll try to pm you.

By the way, speed trap today at the bottom of the hill that guinea mentioned overtaking cars at 30!

Bye for now

Nick
  • AndrewBye
    AndrewBye Posts: 35
    I was out there this evening on my TT bike and with nice weather and light traffic I was going round quite nicely.

Unfortunately on my first lap as I went over the speed bump coming down from richmond gate towards ham dip I jolted the tribars pretty hard and they became dislodged meaning I had to stop and repair it (thanks to some kind triathletes from ful-on-tri who provided the allen key required for said repairs). Because of this haven't been able to improve on my time again (just yet)
  • kmahony
    kmahony Posts: 380
    AndrewBye wrote:
    I was out there this evening on my TT bike and with nice weather and light traffic I was going round quite nicely.

Hi Andrew, how much quicker do you go on the TT bike or tri-bars vs normal setup?
    thanks

Everyone's times are dropping like crazy. I should be there this evening. Good conditions, but I'm a bit tired. (that's the excuse if I need it)
  • toontra
    Just put in another 62.18 - no quicker than Tuesday but at least consistent. The forecast said 5mph SW but it felt more like 10mph going up Sawyers Hill. IMO the best wind direction is a light nor-easterly. I'll be keeping an eye out for favourable conditions to try for the "power hour".

• guinea
    I did three laps last night. The first was a 21:03 which inspired me to go faster but the second was a 21:42 and the last far slower again so I missed a new PB.

Disaster nearly occured when I tried to leave around 9pm and found I was locked in! Luckily a London Dynamo rider on the other side helped me get the bike over the gate. Thanks very much mate.

The weather looks pretty crappy for the rest of the week, so I will probably go out tonight for a quick lap, or six.

We should come up with a signal so we know each other as we pass.

A couple of guys flew past me yesterday, one with a rear disc. I was doing a fairly healthy 21mph and made me look thoroughly pedestrian. I've still a long way to go. The Dynamo rider suggested I go along to one of their sunday rides, but I'm a bit worried that I will not be able to keep up.
  • The emu
    You'll recognise me, I'll be the only one wearing the lairy purple SouthAustralia.com outfit and my lungs blowing out the big ones with my face the same shade of colour! :oops:

Unforuntately my only kit until next pay day.

Think I'm going to give first thing tommorrow morning a run, tends to be very little wind first thing. What time do they open the gates in the morning?

• guinea
    The emu wrote:
    What time do they open the gates in the morning?

I've been a few times at 0630 and haven't had a problem getting in, although it was through the pedestrian gate.