Dragon Ride 2008

Comments

• snipz
    snipz Posts: 85
    Weren't people sent off in groups of 200? If it were a rolling road closure everyone would have been on there way within 10 mins. The 2000+ folk, including myself, on last weeks Time Megeve certainly were.

As to that corner, it just wasn't where it should have been! :D
  • So, come on then! Is there really 3000m of climbing?
  • No. More like 2600.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    No. More like 2600.
    I have 9047 feet on my Garmin or 2757.5256m.
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    My Gpx log got 2725m. Bizarrely the less obviously hilly Highclere the week before had 3025m (but was 30km longer)
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • oldwelshman
    phips wrote:
    Rich.H wrote:
    As others have said, there were some lovely bikes out. For some reason, I have now developed an irrational longing for a pair of Lightweights :wink:
    Rich

I'm with you there Rich :) At the second feed stop a chap from Dynamo popped his Parlee down next to me. I could barely keep the water in my mouth. If you're reading Mr Dynamo-Parlee-Lightweights, that was one very, very nice machine.

Had a great ride (it was my first time doing the Dragon) and thoroughly enjoyed all the bunch riding. 6:39 official time, with the Garmin reporting 6:12 of riding. That contrasts to my 7:59 for the Tour of Pembrokeshire the weekend before - what a difference having some quick groups to hang on to makes :) (and not having loads of 15% climbs too, I guess :))

I did the TOP in 6:51 and rode the 180km alone apart from couple of Km at the start. Did the dragon in 5:53. The difference was not riding in groups as I did large parts of Dragon alone and with 2 others rest of time, the big difference was the descents. In TOP they were nearly all slow with blind bends so never got a chance to improve av speed back up after climbs. In the Dagon, after the long climbs the descents are very very fast so when you descend at over 40mph your av speed goes back up a lot.

--Mark
  • OK, thanks - still pretty hilly then!

I'm very impressed with the finishing times.
    :o
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    My Garmin made it 6352 feet so close on 2000m.
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    The Garmin looks like an accurate device then....

The map on Bikely, makes it 2600m FWIW
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    For taking corners you can maximise you visibility of the bend by moving to the opposite side of the road to the bend.

For a right hander move as far to the left as you can, and for a left hander move as far to the right as conditions allow. If you get this and the vanishing point trick right you won't have any problems.

As mentioned above, I think riding motorcycles helps no end when it comes to dealing with high speed corners. Tricky on a bicycle through as every twat wants to overtake, no matter how quick you're going.
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    MartinJ wrote:

my pics (1140) Aaaarrrrrgh! :shock:
    Who's a handsome hunk then? :?

Sod Garmin.. my legs measured it as 3000ft :lol:
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Pirahna wrote:
    For taking corners you can maximise you visibility of the bend by moving to the opposite side of the road to the bend.

For a right hander move as far to the left as you can, and for a left hander move as far to the right as conditions allow. If you get this and the vanishing point trick right you won't have any problems.

Advice above plus other very helpful advice on descending can be found in this factsheet
    http://www.flammerouge.je/images/factsheets/Corner%20Schematic.pdf
    taken from this page http://www.flammerouge.je/content/3_factsheets/2006/descend.htm

I know it helped me on self same corner described above last Sunday.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • oldwelshman
    I do not have problems normally descending and usually descend very fast and did all of the above but the bend on that particular descent did not have usual chevrons (ok it is down to rider yes I know) but it was not really the sharpness of the bend, but also the gradient on the bend that made it difficult. I slowed into bend as usual but in the bend actually had to brake again ( do not normally do this) as I was picking up speed through the bend.
    Good test of bike handling skills though :D
    Pics of ride, could only find 2.
    http://sportivephoto.thirdlight.com/viewpicture.tlx?gsearchid=1213805073&pictureid=6746509
    http://sportivephoto.thirdlight.com/viewpicture.tlx?gsearchid=1213805073&pictureid=6739387
  • MartinJ
    MartinJ Posts: 104
    So, come on then! Is there really 3000m of climbing?

Memory Map said 3435m of ascent - but that always overestimates ascent.

My Polar HRM said 2518m - I believe this to be pretty relaible.

For comparision my Polar read the following on other sportives this year:

Kirklees 2463m
    Etape du Dales 2975m
    Gran Fondo Cymru 3133m
    White Rose Classic 3127m

So the Dragon is not as tough as some of the others - I was 1 hour quicker than Etape du Dales for the same distance. I like the fact that it's different. I thoroughly enjoy the different challenges and wouldn't want either to be different.
  • Mossrider
    Mossrider Posts: 226
    I was 1hr 30 faster than on the Etape du Dales - there is no way you could keep up that kind of pace on that route. Also did the Kirklees. Certainly the Dragon is nothing like as hard as either of them (albeit the Kirklees is shorter, it is pretty much without flat bits). However as you say, it makes a good change and I'll certainly look forward to having another go.
  • Ken Night
    I was only 49m quicker than on EDD, what was I doing wrong?

Are you two mountain goats, and able to cope better with the extra and steeper climbing on EDD?
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • MartinJ
    MartinJ Posts: 104
    Ken Night wrote:

Are you two mountain goats, and able to cope better with the extra and steeper climbing on EDD?

You must be the mountain goat, Ken as you obviously coped better with the steeper climbs, hence the smaller time gaps!

What were your times for the two events? - I did 7.08 for EDD and 6.09 for Dragon
  • caw35slr
    caw35slr Posts: 439
    Mossrider wrote:
    One huge cause of upset for me was the amount of gels etc littering what were often otherwise pristine roads. I complained when one chap (yes - you in the Gerolsteiner kit) threw a gel on the floor in front of me. I took his number so I'm tempted to report him.

Go!
  • Ken Night
    edited June 2008
    MartinJ wrote:
    Ken Night wrote:

You must be the mountain goat, Ken as you obviously coped better with the steeper climbs, hence the smaller time gaps!

What were your times for the two events? - I did 7.08 for EDD and 6.09 for Dragon

It's not quite what it seems, as I'm reasonably powerful on the flat, and descend faster than most, so I would have expected a bigger relative advantage on the Dragon

I'm not a mountain goat-my vast bulk is a constant source of irritation, not to say an impediment

6h 44m for EDD and 5h 55m for the Dragon

BTW, you can upload your stats on Cyclosport-and see how others did on the same event, or look at how others have done on other events you might want to do

though the process of loading your stats is quite flaky, it seems to get better after a while-I somehow get the impression Mark Harding is sat behind the screen inputting the data, as I do so!

Here is a screen shot
    EDd.jpg

I do think Mossrider should report the gel wrapper chucker, or name and shame here

What were your times on the two rides Mossrider?
  • caw35slr
    caw35slr Posts: 439
    phips wrote:
    The vanishing point is the point at which you cannot see the road frther ahead.

Yup, quite. The two sides of the road *will* converge to a point, at some point. And like Steve says, on a straight that will be far away - the horizon. On a bend, however, that's much closer to you. And the speed at which that point moves in relation to you dictates how fast you can take the corner. It's an IAM (motoring thing, if you're not aufait) technique, and is taught by any savvy motorcycle instructor too.

As a motorcyclist I agree - there is one fundamental skill we all concentrate on: line.

Entire issues of magazines, complete books, man-years of beer-fuelled debate are dedicated to nothing other than how to take a corner correctly. the vanishing point is just one of many thechniques.

The last two sections of this link are a good starting point (for beer-fuelled debate!): http://www.motorcycle-training.f2s.com/position.html

Next topic: counter-steering. :-p
  • popette wrote:
    nice avatar picture steve :)

It was taken on the day of the Tour of Pembroke at Freshwater. The guinnesss and cider from the night before resulted in me and my mate riding part of the short course backwards. We stopped at all the cafs and the beachs and took in all the views.
  • Mossrider
    Mossrider Posts: 226
    On the EDD I completed in 8.02 - although I think i would have pulled back some time except that I was riding with someone on their first century ride (what a ride to pick - the boy did well!). The Dragon ride was 6.33. I think the long steady climbs really suited me on the Dragon. (Which probably means that I should practice the other brutes more). I also suspect that I was a little fitter.

I probably will report the gel chucker - I've id'd him on the photo's.
  • I appreciate and thank you all of the comments relating to this years Dragon Ride, good and bad.

In general from the main forums we see that riders would like some savoury items at the feed stations and many grizzled about the delay at the start. Both issues and the others mentioned are easily remedied for next year and we will do our utmost to make sure that the riders get what they want.

The college venue has a major expansion scheme for 2009 which will include widening and resurfacing of the access road, which we used this year. This will potentially allow us to bring the start/finish 200m closer to the arena area. More staff in the car park and a different approach should eliminate the traffic tailback which caused the delayed start. The inflatable arch will probably be replaced with a scaffolding structure.

We will review the comments relating to the course and not necessarily be drawn into the trap of trying to make the event harder each year. And additional 20k is possible and a shorter route could be added. However we feel that the course this year was demanding but achievable. So why fix it if it isn’t broken!

We will introduce corporate team packages for next year, along the lines of what they successfully do on the Cape Argus. Businesses will have packages which will include bespoke cycling kit in their company liveries and pre/post race hospitality. The companies will be encouraged to get riders to raise money for their chosen charity.

Other proposed improvements for 2009:

• More toilets at the start/finish area and some in the car park.
    • Improved signage on the route.
    • Introduction of Gold/Silver and Bronze standards.
    • Either a finisher’s medal or certificate – or both.
    • Revised timing system
    • Additional activities for families etc. at the start/finish area.

It’s also interesting to see that you all have varying data relating to the actual amount of climbing on the ride. We have Memory Map, Garmin and a Ciclosport bike computer and they all give different readings!

Congratulations to all who slayed the Dragon this year, I look forward to seeing you all again on June 14th next year.

Lou Lusardi
    Ride Director
    Dragon Ride Wales
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Thanks for reading Lou - good to know our feedback is welcomed

Just one minor comment that I don't think has been mentioned before - as for 2007, the intermediate timing mat (in the bus layby this year) wasn't that well signposted and it required a bit of a sudden change of direction which could cause issues in a big group - some really large fluorescent signs pointing it out well in advance would be good
  • oldwelshman
    Bronzie, we could have you dressed up in a yellow chicken outfit pointing out the mat to riders :D
    Check out my new track bike in photo bucket, won't be at Welwyn due to race tomorrow and sunday :(
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I appreciate and thank you all of the comments relating to this years Dragon Ride, good and bad.

In general from the main forums we see that riders would like some savoury items at the feed stations and many grizzled about the delay at the start. Both issues and the others mentioned are easily remedied for next year and we will do our utmost to make sure that the riders get what they want.

The college venue has a major expansion scheme for 2009 which will include widening and resurfacing of the access road, which we used this year. This will potentially allow us to bring the start/finish 200m closer to the arena area. More staff in the car park and a different approach should eliminate the traffic tailback which caused the delayed start. The inflatable arch will probably be replaced with a scaffolding structure.

We will review the comments relating to the course and not necessarily be drawn into the trap of trying to make the event harder each year. And additional 20k is possible and a shorter route could be added. However we feel that the course this year was demanding but achievable. So why fix it if it isn’t broken!

We will introduce corporate team packages for next year, along the lines of what they successfully do on the Cape Argus. Businesses will have packages which will include bespoke cycling kit in their company liveries and pre/post race hospitality. The companies will be encouraged to get riders to raise money for their chosen charity.

Other proposed improvements for 2009:

• More toilets at the start/finish area and some in the car park.
    • Improved signage on the route.
    • Introduction of Gold/Silver and Bronze standards.
    • Either a finisher’s medal or certificate – or both.
    • Revised timing system
    • Additional activities for families etc. at the start/finish area.

It’s also interesting to see that you all have varying data relating to the actual amount of climbing on the ride. We have Memory Map, Garmin and a Ciclosport bike computer and they all give different readings!

Congratulations to all who slayed the Dragon this year, I look forward to seeing you all again on June 14th next year.

Lou Lusardi
    Ride Director
    Dragon Ride Wales

Like this idea.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    Great eventy again.

My thoughts on proposed improvements for 2009:

More food and some savoury stuff would go down well.

Toilets in the car park would be great idea.

Thought signage on the route was adequate - with the exception of the timing layby (which was badly signed last year also). The marshall who was flagging people in to the layby had parked their car on the road just past the entrance and this worsened the hazzard.

Introduction of Gold/Silver and Bronze standards would be good.

Either a finisher’s medal or certificate or both. No added value for me. If you weant to give something away I'd much rather have a t-shirth or water bottle. A medal/certificate will just sit in the back of the cupboard.

Revised timing system. What is wrong with the current system?

Additional activities for families etc. at the start/finish area. If this is an issue. Not sure I'd ever bring my family along. Try selling this to the wife: A trip down the M4. A night in the travelodge, an early start and 8 hours sitting in the car whilst I am out cycling. A 3 hour drive home...
    Rich
  • Ken Night
    .........more family orientated activities would be good-the Iron Mountain did it last year, and you get it at continental sportives....not just the biggies, but especially at some of the smaller club events, decent dining, bouncy castles, market nearby

More stalls-Wilier/Castelli/local bikeshop/CTC all had stalls at the much smaller Dartmoor Classic. More food joints-the farmer doing the burgers/noodles could have had another trailer

My wife went off shopping, while I rode the Dragon-a factory outlet apparently. Why not get teh factory outlet to print a £3-£5 voucher, to be distributed in the Dragon pack, and spendable between the hours of the ride...?

The timing system is better than the Sportident, dibbed system

There are plenty of very hard sportives, and this is the first one I've done over here that has a climbing you can really get a rhythm on, and fast flowing descents. Don't fall into the trap that harder=better

Thanks Dragon Master, it's a great event