Dragon Ride 2008

14567810»

Comments

• bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Aye, the factory outlet is only 5 minutes away. A good few hours shopping etc.

There's also a pretty good kids indoor play type thingy in Ogmore, 10 minutes away.

Maybe someone (happy to do so) could put together a "what to do in Bridgend" type thing for the non locals.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    Maybe someone (happy to do so) could put together a "what to do in Bridgend" type thing for the non locals.

If done as part of the organisation, facilities, shops, etc, should all buy in....with promotions...
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • bendertherobot
    They certainly should. I warned McD's about the impending deluge on Wednesday of the week before. I still had to wait 25 minutes at 6:30 for my breakfast.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Some events have the time posted within minutes of you crossing the line, the tour of Pembroke time was up on an LCD TV before I even got to the tent !!
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    phips wrote:
    Check out my new track bike in photo bucket, won't be at Welwyn due to race tomorrow and sunday :(

Is that the link in your signature oldwelshman? I only see one photo in there, of a winding road :(

You just click on bikes on the left of the page, here it is anyway:

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll245/oldwelshman/bikes/
  • Thanks Dragonmaster for reading the feedback and responding.
    Ken Night wrote:
    More food joints-the farmer doing the burgers/noodles could have had another trailer

The queue for the principal food van did seem to be 20-30mins the whole time, so I never bought anything. I may not have been the only one. Clearly there was scope for more food options, but I guess the question is what?
    I would vote for one that sells some pre-prepared stuff to cut down on queueing, and personally a juicy sandwich would have gone down best, but that might be just me! Any other opinions?
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    Thanks Dragonmaster for reading the feedback and responding.
    Ken Night wrote:
    More food joints-the farmer doing the burgers/noodles could have had another trailer

The queue for the principal food van did seem to be 20-30mins the whole time, so I never bought anything. I may not have been the only one. Clearly there was scope for more food options, but I guess the question is what?
    I would vote for one that sells some pre-prepared stuff to cut down on queueing, and personally a juicy sandwich would have gone down best, but that might be just me! Any other opinions?

you didnt miss much my burger was pretty unpleasant, personally i like meat cooked :(
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Thanks Dragonmaster for reading the feedback and responding.
    Ken Night wrote:

Rock festivals I've been to usually have at least one van serving stir fry (ofen in massive quantities). If had the choice would prefer a bowl of noodles to a burger.

Also, I know its a bit non PC but after riding 6 hours I'm gagging for a pint. A few firkins of whatever the local ale is would be very welcome..
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • bendertherobot
    bahzob wrote:

Rock festivals I've been to usually have at least one van serving stir fry (ofen in massive quantities). If had the choice would prefer a bowl of noodles to a burger.

Also, I know its a bit non PC but after riding 6 hours I'm gagging for a pint. A few firkins of whatever the local ale is would be very welcome..

Believe it or not, the pub was just to the left of the starting inflateable. 200 yards away.
  • Sfelt
    Sfelt Posts: 55
    Bronzie wrote:
    Thanks for reading Lou - good to know our feedback is welcomed

Just one minor comment that I don't think has been mentioned before - as for 2007, the intermediate timing mat (in the bus layby this year) wasn't that well signposted and it required a bit of a sudden change of direction which could cause issues in a big group - some really large fluorescent signs pointing it out well in advance would be good

I will second that two of our group had to turn round and come back whilst the rest of us made some hasty changes of direction to get in there, I think the poor girl directing must have glazed over for a moment or two, cant say I blame her :)
  • Sfelt
    Sfelt Posts: 55
    bahzob wrote:

Believe it or not, the pub was just to the left of the starting inflateable. 200 yards away.

Now that is two hundred yards I did have left in the tank, :P
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Sfelt wrote:
    bahzob wrote:

Now that is two hundred yards I did have left in the tank, :P

Nose must have been playing up, I can usually sniff them out at that distance...
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • bprice
    bprice Posts: 61
    So who missed the turning off the A470 for Defynnog? I was visiting my Dad at the Mountains nursing home during the time the Dragon ride was on and whilst there spotted numerous riders zipping past Libanus on the way to Brecon. How far they went before realising they were heading in the wrong direction I dont know. But it was surely a long day in the saddle for some of them!

On another matter, that stretch of the A470 between Libanus and Storey arms was doubly busy as,not only were there Dragon riders on that particular stretch of the road but runners heading in the opposite direction who were taking part in the Castles relay.
  • Hi Guys,

Im doping the dragon ride this year for the first time. The start sounded as if it was mayhem last year - in terms of delays at the start. I kow its changed this year, but does anyone have any tips to avoid the holdups ? I guess travel to the start is also pretty tricky?

The last fun ride I did was lodon brighton- about 15 years ago. The people who walked up the hills did my head in as there was sometimes impossible to ride - its not like that on the Dragon I hope : (
  • jhop
    jhop Posts: 369
    Hi Guys,

Im doping the dragon ride this year for the first time.

Each to his own but me I 'm riding clean :wink:
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    Only way to avoid holdups at the start is to get there early enough to be at the front. As for walkers, don't worry, the Dragon Ride attracts on the whole a different sort of rider.
  • FUD
    FUD Posts: 1
    I was hoping to use the dragon ride as part of our preparation for L'Etape this year - but to my horror have just found out it is fully subscribed. Any body out there need to transfer their entry? or know of the best way to get a entry transfer. I am after two places.