Dragon Ride 2008

The Dragon Ride organisers have listened to many of the suggestions from the last few rides and there will be a new start/finish venue a short distance outside of Bridgend which will avoid any traffic lights on the return run. It also avoids having to go through Port Talbot on the run out. The Bwlch is now climbed twice in different directions.

They will make sure that the feedstations are very well stocked with supplies in reserve and will ensure that the split timing points are better identified.

Date is Sunday 15th of June.
TL

Comments

• vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    Ace can't wait
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • There will be a new website which will be launched in a few weeks. The route details should be on the new site.

They are going to use the British Cycling online entry system which should be much more straight forward than the old shop style system they used to have.

Lou Lusardi told me the route will be more "intense" than last year.
    TL
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I need to call Lou to ensure they dont give silly gifts out at the end like "degreaser".
    Could also do with providing food at the end.
    The pinarello in Italy had great food and more recentlyI did Autumn epic in <Mid Wales and the food afterwards was great even though basic.
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    I need to call Lou to ensure they dont give silly gifts out at the end like "degreaser".

I've still got mine if you're feeling hungry.

:D
  • I promise there will be no sachets of any kind handed out at the finish!

There is always food available at the finish and we will have more outlets in attendance this year. We will however try to use up any surplus food from the feedstations at the end. I'll be buying loads next year to allow us to have plenty in reserve that we can move around to the feedstations if they run low.

My ambition is one day to have a post event pasta party as they do in Italy. The GF Vernaccia in San Gimigniano even has bottles of wine on the tables!

Lou Lusardi
    Ride Director
    Dragon Ride Wales
  • oldwelshman
    I promise there will be no sachets of any kind handed out at the finish!

There is always food available at the finish and we will have more outlets in attendance this year. We will however try to use up any surplus food from the feedstations at the end. I'll be buying loads next year to allow us to have plenty in reserve that we can move around to the feedstations if they run low.

My ambition is one day to have a post event pasta party as they do in Italy. The GF Vernaccia in San Gimigniano even has bottles of wine on the tables!

Lou Lusardi
    Ride Director
    Dragon Ride Wales

The one I did in Italy even had free beer on draught :D but we were all so knackerred and it was so hot we only drank water :(
    Having said that it tatsed much better than the de greaser !! :D
    Mind you the de greaser was actually very good when diluted and used as a de greaser :D
  • rusty nuts wrote:
    There will be a new website which will be launched in a few weeks. The route details should be on the new site.

They are going to use the British Cycling online entry system which should be much more straight forward than the old shop style system they used to have.

Lou Lusardi told me the route will be more "intense" than last year.

like hill reps up and down the Cimla? How else can it be harder, unless Lou's managed to squeeze in the Tumble / Llangynidr or worse Llanellly hill...
  • Fair play to the Dragon Ride organisers for taking the feedback seriously and looking to improve things.

What about some proper marshalling at key junctions/roundabouts. Is there any way the police might be persuaded to help with a few?
  • Hmmmmmmmm.... The Bwlch from both sides very interesting, please leave the climb out of Glen Neath in, never mind a Compact a chairlift might have been more appropriate.

However might give it a miss next year, the tour of the black mountains looks a bit tasty, failing that I might sit glued to my Computer in the hope of getting in the Fred Whitton.

"I have fixed the ringing, there is no charge........"
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    The Cimla was a great little climb. The more intense the better. That might seem a bit odd, but I my gearing was out of sync until a chap from Tredz fixed it so couldn't keep up with people on the flat, and the hills were the only place I could keep up.

Unfortunately, the 2008 version is on the day I go on holiday so I'm going to try for the Fred Whitton Challenge instead. Otherwise, I'd definitely be back.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Hmmmmmmmm.... The Bwlch from both sides very interesting, please leave the climb out of Glen Neath in, never mind a Compact a chairlift might have been more appropriate.

However might give it a miss next year, the tour of the black mountains looks a bit tasty, failing that I might sit glued to my Computer in the hope of getting in the Fred Whitton.

"I have fixed the ringing, there is no charge........"

It's from Neath up to Cimla. Glynneath you passed thorugh about 30 minutes before that. It's a tasty little one, but its nowhere near as brutal as Llanelly hill, or even the tumble which is just as steep as the first part of the Cimla but is over 3 miles long...
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    What's the one I clocked 60mph on? I don't fancy riding up it.
  • 60?? Were you one of the chaps dressed in dayglo orange by any chance?? :wink:
  • oldwelshman
    Pirahna wrote:
    What's the one I clocked 60mph on? I don't fancy riding up it.
    It was probably Defynnog but surprised you clocked that much.
    I went down it flat out, no brakes, flying past everyone and only hit 53mph!!! It is 25%.

Steve, you around sat 17th? I might be down for track on fri night and ride sat or sun.
    Are the rides long and hilly now?
    Which is hardest sat from shop or sunday from maindee?
  • Im about on the 18th tho its o0ur club dinner in the afternoon. The sundays are the hardest, but you'll have no trouble. Route depends on who turns up and what mood folks are in. You should be doing nice steady low intensity rides now, kick back and enjoy the scenery....
  • Steve, what do mean by Llanelly hill - the road up to the church above Gilwern?

My parents live in Gilwern, and am going to do some riding around there next time I go back.

Dave
  • MartinL
    MartinL Posts: 102
    daveecp wrote:
    Steve, what do mean by Llanelly hill - the road up to the church above Gilwern?

My parents live in Gilwern, and am going to do some riding around there next time I go back.

Dave

Llanelly hill is on the other side of the valley from the village of Llanelly and is much harder then the climbs up to the hafod. Although the climb furthest right is bloody hard.

Llanelly hill starts from the A465 Heads of the Valleys road and climbs up to meet the B4248 Brynmawr to Blaenavon road. It's rough and steep and gets a fair amount of traffic, there's a 30 sign at the top if you've still got anything left by the time you get to there.
  • hobbescp
    hobbescp Posts: 197
    So when does registration open for the dragon ride?
  • midnight on boxing day...or xmas night whichever way you want to look at it
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I promise there will be no sachets of any kind handed out at the finish!

Lou Lusardi
    Ride Director
    Dragon Ride Wales

Pardon for my ignorance, but what's stopping you?
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    midnight on boxing day...or xmas night whichever way you want to look at it

Looks like it will be 48 hrs later...

"The 5th Anniversary Dragon ride will take place on Sunday 15th June 2008, entries will be available from 00:00hrs on 28th December 2007".
    Rich
  • Bonza was looking for something else and stumbled onto this gem.

Now if I can remember to do this around xmas time is another matter!
  • The new Dragon Ride website is now live with details of the 2008 event.

New start venue at Pencoed College less than a mile from M4 J35, with no traffic lights to negotiate on the run in to the finish this time!

And a new climb at Llangeynor on the way back.
    TL
  • oldwelshman
    How about after ride food such as tea and cakes instead of degreaser?
    The route looks better this year, going up through Ogmore Vale side then up from Netah side later rather than doing same climb twice. It is very similar to the old five valleys route for the shorter ride.
    Hope it will be warm :D
  • 100 advanced Dragon Ride entries are currently available via the Cycling Weekly website www.cyclingweekly.co.uk

56 left as of 3pm today.
  • vermooten
    I'm in!

Second sportive entered today.

Manchester Wheelers
  • Doom
    Doom Posts: 133
    vermooten wrote:
    I'm in!

Me too yeehaw
    FCN: 4
  • vermooten
    There aren't any actual benefits to signing up in advance are there?

Manchester Wheelers
  • Doom
    Doom Posts: 133
    vermooten wrote:
    There aren't any actual benefits to signing up in advance are there?

No but this was my favourite event this year...
    FCN: 4