Dragon Ride 2008

Comments

• anyone really stuck you can stay at my house...girls only that is ...
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    anyone really stuck you can stay at my house...girls only that is ...
    But you live in Ystrad Mynach :D
  • BMCCbry
    BMCCbry Posts: 153
    anyone really stuck you can stay at my house...girls only that is ...
    But you live in Ystrad Mynach :D

Shame...I'd been thinking of taking Steve up on that one! :wink:
  • huret
    huret Posts: 62
    Re; Booze.
    I rode an event in the Auvergne this year where they had boxes of wine at the Rav' stations :D
    Savoie between the Glandon and the Madeleine.
  • Any advice for a Dragon Ride first timer apart from get out on my bike and train like a t***.
    All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific.
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    jackfeeder wrote:
    Any advice for a Dragon Ride first timer apart from get out on my bike and train like a t***.

As well as general training, I'd really recommend going there for a scout some time before the event. I was a Dragon novice last year, but did a self-guide Medio Fondo a few weeks earlier, and then on the day itself did the Gran Fondo. It really helped that I had seen the hills before and knew what was going to happen.

Where I live, there are hills, but not long drag hills like on the Dragon. So, the scout was helpful both to give me a sense of what the route was, but also to give experience on these longer hills.

One other thing that helped me on my scouting trip was looking for markers on the Bwlch, the long climb. Knowing that at this house I had 5 miles left, and at that house it was only 2 was a really helpful motivator.

And the standard advice about trying to ride in a group will always apply.
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    jackfeeder wrote:
    Any advice for a Dragon Ride first timer apart from get out on my bike and train like a t***.

On the long climbs keep a steady pace and spin a lower gear than you would usuually use. They sap your energy more than you'd imagine. In 2007 we had to climb Bwlch twice - second time was a killer.
  • topcattim
    Dombo6 wrote:
    jackfeeder wrote:

On the long climbs keep a steady pace and spin a lower gear than you would usuually use. They sap your energy more than you'd imagine. In 2007 we had to climb Bwlch twice - second time was a killer.

In a strange kind of way, I'm disappointed not to be climbing the Bwlch twice this year. :? Last time I found it not too bad first time round, but struggled second time up, so I was hoping to pace myself better this year and beat it on the second climb.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    topcattim wrote:
    In a strange kind of way, I'm disappointed not to be climbing the Bwlch twice this year. :? Last time I found it not too bad first time round, but struggled second time up, so I was hoping to pace myself better this year and beat it on the second climb.
    I believe it is being climbed twice. Just that the first time is from the other side. So you get to do the "second" climb exactly as before having done the same amount of climbing as before. :D
    Rich
  • RichA wrote:
    topcattim wrote:
    I believe it is being climbed twice. Just that the first time is from the other side. So you get to do the "second" climb exactly as before having done the same amount of climbing as before. :D

That is I believe correct. IMO it's harder from the "other" side, or new side for 2008. Maybe not quite so long but its steeper. The hardest of the lot is the rhigos from the Hirwaun side, this year the route descends thats side again. None of them though compare to the Tumble or Gospel pass with which I became scarily acquainted with last week....
  • topcattim
    RichA wrote:
    topcattim wrote:

That is I believe correct. IMO it's harder from the "other" side, or new side for 2008. Maybe not quite so long but its steeper. The hardest of the lot is the rhigos from the Hirwaun side, this year the route descends thats side again. None of them though compare to the Tumble or Gospel pass with which I became scarily acquainted with last week....

Oh good :?:
    I think.... :D
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Gospel pass isn't too bad, i've done it from the Abergavenny side, and it catches you by surprise, you're in the trees for ages and can't see the climb, then suddenly youre in the open, going up a really steep section for 100 metres, and you're at the top.

The Rhigos is a right b*stard from the Hirwaun side :D

Hopefully ill not have exams during the dragon this year.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • nolf wrote:
    Gospel pass isn't too bad, i've done it from the Abergavenny side, and it catches you by surprise, you're in the trees for ages and can't see the climb, then suddenly youre in the open, going up a really steep section for 100 metres, and you're at the top.

The Rhigos is a right b*stard from the Hirwaun side :D

Hopefully ill not have exams during the dragon this year.

You want to try it from the Hay side....its much much harder than the rhigos. It's 20% in places for up to 50 yards at a time, doesnt sond like much until your half way up each section. It's like doing sprint intervals with a cheetah chasing you....
  • oldwelshman
    Some of these guys are panicking unecessarily :D None of the dragon climbs are that bad, just long and steady. Ok it is slightly harder from Ogmore side, but not very long and kicks up a bit at the end.
    The Rhigos is not hard either way and doable easily on 39 x 19 :D
    The potential worst one is the climb to Storeys if its windy as it is so exposed.
    One of the worst ones I did last year was in ine Autumn epic in mid Wales, cant remember name but it was close to end, and after a lovely steady longish climb you come out of trees and see a wall infornt of you!! As I had not ridden for a month and only had a 23 on I almost got off, not quite, but I was seeing double by the top!!
    I might do it again this year just to compare to see what its like after some training :D

Steve, you on track friday? I am down again.
    Is the saturday ride out from cardiff? Would not mind doing some climbs on weekend again.
    Could go up and down bwlch and rhigos both ways if you like? :D:D
  • Some of these guys are panicking unecessarily :D None of the dragon climbs are that bad, just long and steady. Ok it is slightly harder from Ogmore side, but not very long and kicks up a bit at the end.
    The Rhigos is not hard either way and doable easily on 39 x 19 :D
    The potential worst one is the climb to Storeys if its windy as it is so exposed.
    One of the worst ones I did last year was in ine Autumn epic in mid Wales, cant remember name but it was close to end, and after a lovely steady longish climb you come out of trees and see a wall infornt of you!! As I had not ridden for a month and only had a 23 on I almost got off, not quite, but I was seeing double by the top!!
    I might do it again this year just to compare to see what its like after some training :D

Steve, you on track friday? I am down again.
    Is the saturday ride out from cardiff? Would not mind doing some climbs on weekend again.
    Could go up and down bwlch and rhigos both ways if you like? :D:D

Don't know yet haven't decided. Probably not.

More than likely, but again I don't know for sure - try ringing Ian at Cyclopaedia (in Crwys road). I'm going for another biggie on sunday, rhigos and bwlch down to blackmill then ponty and home.
  • I'm riding out of Cardiff on Saturday/Sunday if either of you guys are interested in some company for some long miles and Blwch/Rhigos sounds great...

I would certainly have thought the ride from Cyclopaedia would be on, it certainly has been the last few weeks, although the routes have been less than inspiring and quite short (2 to 2.5 hours maximum)...Sundays have been better but quicker.
  • oldwelshman
    I sent you a pm with contact number dodge.
    If it is dry on sat would like to do group ride from Cardiff with a good route with some climbs.
    If no climbs, weather permitting I will ride from swansea sunday and do bwlch and rgigos and the new climb in the dragon from swansea and probably bump in to Steve struggling up somewhere :)
  • Saturday is the easy day, sunday is longer and faster.

No track tomorrow night, am taking my boys to see the Blues play Edinburgh at the Arms Park. Wont be out saturday morning, maybe afternoon in the hills, and will be out sunday morning about 10 riding up to mountain ash and over rhigos and bwlch. That's if I dont decide to drive into cardiff and ride with the Jif/Ajax.
  • Has anyone got the data from last years ride regarding the amount of climbing?

The Menory Map software shows 3800m of climbing for the 180km route, which seems way too much. A Garmin 305 GPS unit used in my car around the route showed 2700m which seems to be a bit low.

I'm all confused
    TL
  • oldwelshman
    Doesn't matter its a different route :D
    I did have th egarmin data but as its softwares is shite, when uploading a later rides data it wiped out my entire history for 6k miles !!
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    My HAC4 showed 2600m climbing on last years Dragon. By comparison same unit showed 2900m on Tour of Black Mountains and 1900m for the June Highclere event. For the last friends 305 showed 2600m for exactly same ride. A
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Signed up for this with my 2 Etape buddies the other day, really looking forward to it. Is the weather usually ok for this ride? It'll be our first attempt.
  • Not in 2005 it didn't. It was boiling hot. I got cramp in both legs (all the way up) and fell off. Grr!
  • This thread is starting to make The Dragon sound even harder than the Etape itself. Bit of a worry as it's suposed to be my warm-up ride.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    This thread is starting to make The Dragon sound even harder than the Etape itself. Bit of a worry as it's suposed to be my warm-up ride.

No chance StJohn. The Pyrenees are a totally different kettle of fish and you also have the broom wagon to contend with...
    Rich
  • oldwelshman
    At the end of the day the ride is not a race so you can ride it as hard or easy as you like.
    As most people know, to increase your av speed for whole ride by 2mph is a huge effort so I suppose it depends what your goal is on these rides.
  • jhop
    jhop Posts: 369
    The Dragon Ride is ideal preparation for the etape but nothing like as hard, I have not found any other UK sportives with the long climbs we will face in the Pyrenees but the Dragon is one of the best we have so make the most of it.

What I have found totally different in the etape in recent years has been the searing heat and last years Dragon was nigh on perfect cycling temperature with just a little drizzle at the start no preparation at all for Foix and the heat or Gap to The Alpe the year before however it was pretty much like Pau to Bayonne in 2003 so it may turn out ok this year you just can't tell.
  • A series of articles written by Eurosport commentator David Harmon on the most suitable components for sportive bikes is to be run on the Dragon Ride website. Topics on the best frame types, groupsets, wheels/tyres etc will be added roughly every week. The articles are on the News/information page of the website.

Entries are now well over the two thousand mark, however places are still available if you feel like trying out those new bits over the hills of South Wales.

We will be holding a few hundred places back for overseas entries, so get your name down before all the UK places disappear.

Lou Lusardi