West Lothian Roadies

Comments

• OS 65
    OS 65 Posts: 415
    Hi JMC
    I was thinking of joining the ERC and doing the Kirliston TT but decided not to because the Edinburgh club run starts are too far away. I'd be interested in finding out more about the local sunday ride - what time does it start? what kind of pace?
    OS 65
  • JMC33
    JMC33 Posts: 16
    Hi There OS, the ERC weekend runs were a prob for me with distance and was having to work a Saturday, but shifts have changed so will need to check them out though. The Sunday ride from Linlithgow (9.30am) was mainly in the hills and some decents but I would not worry too much about pace, there was only three or four of us. The time trials were great fun, and I never thought I could ride flat out for ten miles-lol, you should give it a go next season, they are a friendly bunch a wide range of ages and the TT is more about the challenge for yourself than comparing your speed to anyone.
    I will make a point of trying to get along on the Saturday for a spin out.
    JMC
  • Hi, as I said to OS on last week's run it doesn't look like I'll be out this Saturday so have a good one...
  • alan1
    alan1 Posts: 15
    Hi All,

New to the forum, I live in the Bathgate area and would be interested in coming out on the Saturday morning ride, usually ride in the bathgate hills a couple of evening a week, What sort of distance do you do on the Saturday morning rides and what average speed, dont want to be slowing anyone down.

Cheers
    Alan
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    JMC33

I hate puirwives brae - not because its that hard but just because I cannot really get a gear to suit the incline as I am eiher overgeared or undergeared. My mate George always hammers up there and I try to keep a poker face whilst grimly trying to hold his wheel.
    Brian B.
  • Foz72
    Foz72 Posts: 81
    >New to the forum, I live in the Bathgate area and would be interested in coming out on the Saturday morning ride, usually ride in the bathgate hills a couple of evening a week, What sort of distance do you do on the Saturday morning rides and what average speed, dont want to be slowing anyone down.

I tried it out for the first time last week and was thinking same sorts of things. Shouldn't have worried. There was a group of 5, quite a mix but relaxed mood. I did 10 miles from Falkirk, 18 mile loop with the others, steady pace and then back home. If you cycle at all regularly you shouldn't have a problem.

Forecast's looking decent......
  • alan1
    alan1 Posts: 15
    I tried it out for the first time last week and was thinking same sorts of things. Shouldn't have worried. There was a group of 5, quite a mix but relaxed mood. I did 10 miles from Falkirk, 18 mile loop with the others, steady pace and then back home. If you cycle at all regularly you shouldn't have a problem.

Forecast's looking decent......[/quote]

Thanks for the reply FOZ72

Sorry for all the questions but what sort of Distance do you guys do on the Saturday Morning.

Alan
  • BillR1
    BillR1 Posts: 271
    Usually 30 to 40 mls just depends on the mood and who is up for what.

Me and Stevie will be there in the morning, see you then.

Rgds, Bill
  • OS 65
    4 of us got out today, we did about 30-sh miles at 15.5mph, a bit faster than last week.
    How did you find the pace Foz?
    The idea is to ride an even pace to keep the group together and not let anyone get dropped in the middle of nowhere. We have a wee sprint every now and again up hills but wait for anyone at the top
  • OS 65
    Anyone meeting up at the Korean War Memorial tomorrow, Saturday 6th?
    I'll pop over for 8am to see who is oot.
    Last week 2 of us rode around to Crammond bridge and back, about 35 miles.
    Cheers
    OS 65
  • Fat Head
    Fat Head Posts: 765
    i'll be there too........
  • Fat Head
    just myself and OS 65 out today in what was another splendid morning.....I think we did about 20 miles after meeting up at the KWM, heading to Winchburgh and back before taking in a few steepish bits in the Bathgate Alps....was a decent workout as is the norm with OS 65....
  • BillR1
    Is anyone up for a run this Saturday, usual meeting place 30 miles ish?

Rgds, Bill
  • Fat Head
    i'll confirm nearer the day but it looks ok the now
  • BillR1
    Good run on Saturday, around 30 miles with a mix of various terrain and the usual climb from Linlithgow main street to Beecraigs at the 28 mile marker for good measure !!!

We will be moving the start time to 8.30am for next week as the light is not on our side at 8am so for safety sake we will start a little later. It would be good to get a 50odd miler in one week so open for suggestions on that?

Rgds, Bill
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    For a 50 miler I sometimes go from Bo'ness over Beecraigs and then through Bathgate/Blackburn and head up over the Lanark road and turn around at Carnwath and back to Bathgate and take a different road up over Beecraigs and back to Bo'ness.

Or I head up to Avonbridge and them head over to Bathgate and then up to Beeecraigs and make my way from there down to Winchburgh then Kirkliston and take the back road to Queensferry and from there back to Linlithgow and back up Preston road to Beecraigs.

I would like to try and get out with you guys at some point but I am working 8 out 10 w/ends at present and my good lady and the kids find things for me on my two off. :wink:
    Brian B.
  • Will try and get out my pit this saturday to join you guys as haven't down anything for a few weekends now. 08:30 at war memorial ?
  • BillR1
    Yes 8.30 tomorrow, see you there.

Bill
  • OS 65
    Hey there, can't make it tomorrow. Next week I'm at the braveheart ride so see you in a couple of weeks
    OS 65
  • Fat Head
    Won't make it tomorrow. Just finished a long drive back from Wales and need a lie in!

Stayed on the west coast in Barmouth which is on the edge of Snowdonia. Managed to get out twice including a 70 miler that took in the infamous Bwylch Y Grois and a couple of other meaty ones....for me the Bwylch is the hardest climb in the UK as iit taxed me way more than both Hardnott and Wrynose which I did only a few weeks ago...the last kilometre really has you seeing stars, reaching 17%...I made it to the top without getting off but my arse was collapsing...at the top I ended up unclipping and collapsing over the handlebars, head virtually touching the front wheel!
  • Late leaving house this morning and then held up by loose cow on the SouthMains road above Dechmont. Ended up doing Torphichen, Avon Gorge, Standburn, limerigg, Blackhill transmitter then back via A8/A89 to Uphall. Only passed 2 roadies this morning they were heading north back towards A89 from the Blackhill transmitter road - was that you guys?
  • BillR1
    Sorry we missed you we waited until 8.40 then decided to leave.

We went to Linlithgow, Kirkliston, Cramond, South Q Ferry, Newton, Champany, Linlithgow Bridge, Muiravonside, Standburn, Avonbridge, Westfield and Torphichen 41 miles total.

Hopefully see you next week.

Rgds, Bill
  • Won't make this week as away to the Braveheart Ride this Saturday
  • Fat Head
    Bill, are you doing the Braveheart run too??

I think I may do it as well and just enter on the day. I know a few people who are riding down from Glasgow to do it, I wouldn't mind doing that if the weather forecast is good but it doesn't look great...
  • BillR1
    Sad,

Not doing the Braveheart as I may have to work but should know by this evening. I may go out on Sunday instead if your up for that. I have a good hilly 16 miler round the Bathgate alps that we could do x 3= 48 miles if your up for it??

Rgds, Bill
  • OS 65
    Hey Bill
    I could be up for a sunday ride - Korean war Memorial 8.30? will try to make
  • BillR1
    I will keep you posted but 8.30 would suit me fine.

Rgds, Bill
  • Fat Head
    ok, sunday actually looks ok for me too. i will confirm with you all at some point tomorrow. three times round a hilly loop - are we sharpening form for something??? i know, we are trying to teach OS what it's like to get dropped? first one to drop him gets a chocolate watch....
  • Fat Head
    Three of us out today. Rode pretty hard into the headwind towards Limerigg, taking in a few hard drags, then back, doing through and off to Avonbridge where a certain rider enjoyed a glorious win in the sprint finish :D . Stayed dry although last nights rain had left a lot of debris on the roads.

Me and OS spoke again today about forming a West Lothian road club, possibly through an affiliation with the Clarion organisation. 5 riders are enough to form a Clarion, and while I don't know specifically what is required to form a 'standard' club I'm sure it won't be too difficult....

I think this is a good idea to pursue as our area deserves a club given the decent roads (esp. those in the bathgate hills) and the number of road riders about. In the meantime we should do all we can to encourage other riders along. I mentioned posting about our rides on the Braveheart forum but I aint a member and they aint accepting members at the moment so if anyone is a member perhaps they could do the honour.....

There is also a case for switching the 'official' ride to Sunday's if this meant attracting more riders.....what do current and prospective riders think about this? if you haven't been out with us would this be enough to get you out? Would this pose a problem to any of the current regulars?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I was out today aswell Sadiq....planned to do around 55miles...in the end did around 40...up Kinscavle..Winchburgh....West Binnie....Beecraigs Resturaunt...Dechmont...Bathgate...Sport Center climb...back to Bo'ness...MURDER!...Havent done very much at all recently and have been feeling terrible....taking Flu Capsules etc...but being honest I think my route was a bad move with the South Westerly Howling wind...it killed me for around 25miles...straight into it...gald I made the decision to head home as on the last climb over the flints to Bo'ness I started to weaken bigtime....anyway glad ive finally managed to get a few miles in...should be better next week.

As ive said many times I feel I'll most probably be able to join you at the weekend only very seldomly...mainly because I only manage to get a decent run at the weekend and since I'm always pottering about West Lothian I always try and do bigger adventures elsewhere...just makes cycling a good bit more interesting for me...change is a great sobering thing....but our area does deserve a cycling club...the roads are tremendous and very demanding..hopefully be able to tag on sometime but certainly not the now..it would be embarrasing :oops: Would need to get a few more miles in for any kind of pace setting in current shape :wink: