West Lothian Roadies

Comments

• OS 65
    OS 65 Posts: 415
    Korean War memorial, 8am on Saturday is good for me, rain or shine!
  • Fat Head
    Fat Head Posts: 765
    ok OS, I'm up for that, see you there
  • OS 65
    edited August 2007
    Met up with Fat Head on Saturday 25th, had a great ride - 40 miles from the KWM to Avon Bridge, slammanan, limerigg and back.

How about making it a regular ride? Meeting at the Korean War Memorial, 8am every Saturday. Anyone up for that?
  • OS 65
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    Fat Head wrote:

Sorry Lads, On saturday I'm driving to Bala in Wales to do the Wild Wales Challenge...its finishing with the infamous Bwlch Y Groes then the Hirnant Pass...sounds like pain to me...weathers looking great! Have a good un.

I rode the Bwlch when I was 13 on my brother's Raleigh Europa. It was snowing so the 3" of slush on the roads didn't do my weimann brakes and steel rims any favours on the descent. My fingers were so frozen I couldn't pull the brakes tight enough to grip.

Global warming has has put an end to those kinds of rides...
  • OS 65
    Two of us met up at KWM on Saturday 1st. Rode about 28 miles, ending with some pretty heavy hills out of Falkirk to Shieldhill.

Anyone want to meet Saturday 8th at 8am?
  • Hi, not clear at present whether I'll make it this Saturday either but I will let you know one way or the other.
  • OS 65
    Hi There, can't make it tomorrow - 8th have a good ride
    OS 65
  • three of us out today in what was a glorious morning - a 2 hour ride out winchburgh way then back for some fun in the bathgate hills
  • Foz72
    Foz72 Posts: 81
    Hi, I'm relatively new to both road biking and Falkirk and pretty keen to ride more in groups a bit more. Know some of the roads you're talking about but much more to see.....

Chances are that I could make a ride next Saturday (15th) if you guys post some details I'll do my best to make it. If I run out of steam I know the way home :wink:
  • Hi foz, thanks for expressing an interest. Our usual meeting point is at the Korean War Menorial in the Bathgate Alps, er sorry hills, 8am Saturdays. You are most welcome to join in whoever is out as we want to get as many local riders involved as possible, to makw regular Saturday group riding in the area a possibility. If the numbers swell we may even start to incorporate the odd cafe stop and sprint for 30 sign although no riders will be left behind.....keep your eye out for this thread, we have managed something the last three Saturdays in a row between us
  • Hello all. I'm also new to road riding, coming from a long MTB background. I'll be working the next couple of Saturdays but after that I'd be interested in joining you for Saturday morning rides.

I'll keep my eye on the thread and give you a shout when I can make it.

My Bikes:

Road
    Dirt
    Fast
  • OS 65
    I've made some cards which I could laminate and we could hand out to riders we see out on the road to let them know about the ride

They could also be enlarged and posted up in bike shops and cafes.

I could post an image of the different options - anyone know how to post a jpg onto the forum?
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Good to see that you're getting out together. I cycle that area at least 3 times a week but I work most weekends at present. I managed to get out this Sunday however and I was amazed at the amount of cyclists that I saw when coming from Bathgate heading back to Bo'ness. I usually go out with my mate during the week as we both work shifts and its rare for us to see another cyclist then.

I hope to meet up with the West Lothian Roadies soon as I am off this weekend but I am heading down to Sanquhar with my mate for a cycle run and watch the T.O.B. last stage. I may have a chance in a few weeks time.
    Brian B.
  • OS 65 wrote:
    I've made some cards which I could laminate and we could hand out to riders we see out on the road to let them know about the ride

I could post an image of the different options - anyone know how to post a jpg onto the forum?

You need to host your pics somewhere (like photobucket / flickr) and link to them.

I can pm you my e-mail address if you want me to do it for you.

My Bikes:

Road
    Dirt
    Fast
  • Brian B wrote:
    Good to see that you're getting out together. I cycle that area at least 3 times a week but I work most weekends at present. I managed to get out this Sunday however and I was amazed at the amount of cyclists that I saw when coming from Bathgate heading back to Bo'ness. I usually go out with my mate during the week as we both work shifts and its rare for us to see another cyclist then.

I hope to meet up with the West Lothian Roadies soon as I am off this weekend but I am heading down to Sanquhar with my mate for a cycle run and watch the T.O.B. last stage. I may have a chance in a few weeks time.

hi Brian, are you riding down or taking the car with bike?
  • OS 65 wrote:

On behalf of OS 65, here are options

SAturdayRun.jpg

Post your preference and any suggested amendments.
    He'll get some A5 sized ones printed out and stuck in bike shop windows and can also get some business card sized ones to be handed out to any bikies

Personally, I like nos 2 & 3.

My Bikes:

Road
    Dirt
    Fast
  • Brian B
    Fat head we are taking the car - only got a small run organised for when we get down there as my mate and me have time restrictions for that day. Are you interested in going?
    Brian B.
  • Brian B wrote:
    Fat head we are taking the car - only got a small run organised for when we get down there as my mate and me have time restrictions for that day. Are you interested in going?

hi, i might have considered riding down from up here if a few folk were going but i'll stick around up here and probably do a local run. enjoy!
  • well done OS give yourself a pat on the back for those cards.....2 and 3 are good because they detail the meeting place more but i prefer the modern image to the retro one because it's crisper and communicates the cycling theme clearly which is what we are after....do we have enough space to put something like 'all abilties welcome'...this might be necessary to coax some people to come along...this raises broader questions about the run relating to speed/ability etc but maybe it would be good to try to get as many people along initially as possible, especially those who havent ridden in a group before, we need to tap into the large number of roadies about the area... we could then split into faster or slower groups depending on who's out....again, nice one
  • OS 65
    Cheers FH
    I'll make some changes and get them uploaded.
    Are you out on Saturday 15th? Anyone else coming out for a ride? I'll pop over to the Korean War Memorial at 8 to see if anyone is about
    OS 65
  • Would you have any objections to a Lanarkshire man joining up with the West Lothian team?

BrianB - I'm thinking of watching the ToB at Whiteside Hill between Sanqhar and Crawfordjohn. Probably going to cycle up from Abington services towards Leadhills then through Apache Glen to Crawfordjohn. Hope the rain stays off until later in the afternoon!!!
    Flying Scot? You must be joking!
  • andy, we would be delighted to have one of the board's more distinguised members come for a run with us. you are welcome any time. we can show you some nice roads and decent climbs in the area. not sure if we are a 'team' yet though!
  • Brian B
    Arranandy. Just read this at 2240hrs and may see you at Whiteside hill. I will be on on a black Storck and my mate George will be on a black Kuota. If I see another cyclist I give a shout(if there is not too many).

Cheers.
    Brian B.
  • Foz72
    Foz72 Posts: 81
    Good ride this morning, hope to be back next week.
    For those that can put a name to a face, I was Graham!
  • good to see you along graham. there was a grand total of 5 of us out yesterday in what was a cold, clear and lovely morning - i ended up doing about 35 miles by the time I got home, which was just in time to avoid the rain....
  • Brian B
    Arranandy did you get to Whiteside Hill? We had to stop a mile before it as I had got a puncture which had slowed us up somewhat before I got it fixed.

I hopefully may make it for the WLR Sat. morning run this W/end if I do not have to work.
    Brian B.
  • Brian B wrote:
    Arranandy did you get to Whiteside Hill? We had to stop a mile before it as I had got a puncture which had slowed us up somewhat before I got it fixed.

Yeah, I got to Whiteside Hill. Watched the race pass then rode like a maniac through Glen Taggart to try and catch the race again at Glespin - missed them by a couple of minutes!!!!

I'll maybe try and join up with the WLR within the next two or three weeks
    Flying Scot? You must be joking!
  • JMC33
    JMC33 Posts: 16
    Great to see there is a fair bit of interest in the West Lothian area for roadies, regularly use the hills and roads around the place, stay up at the top of Puir wifes brae so have no excuse of climbing it most days am out-lol, are any of you guys going out from the War memorial this Saturday? as it is only a few miles from my area and would be good to meet. There is also a small Sunday run from the cross in Lithgae organised by one of the ERC riders, takes in Kingscavil, and the surrounding hills, check a thread on ERC website.
    Peace.
    JMC
  • OS 65
    I'll be there 8am on Saturday...
    The Sunday run you mention, is that the Linlithgow Cycling Club ride? They go out every other sunday at 9am for a relaxed leisure ride, catering for beginners. It isn't an official club just a group of like-minded riders.
    OS 65
  • JMC33
    JMC33 Posts: 16
    Hi OS, thanks for the reply, will endevour to get across on Saturday morning, the ride out on a Sunday is just a few Edinburgh Road Club members, I joined them this year for the Time Trials at Kirkliston and for the faint hope that I will get fit enough for some Road Racing!!.
    Will call up a couple of others as well to see if can get a bit more interest going.
    JMC