The Smoking Ban 01/07/07

Comments

• andyoxon
    andyoxon Posts: 2,205
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Smokin Joe</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by andyoxon</i>

Roll on the ban...I was in a pub on Friday night and didn't enjoy the smokey atmosphere at all.

Active or passively inhaled cigarette smoke is carcinogenic, oxidising and generally damaging to health. My aunt and grandfather, both smokers, died of lung cancer and emphysema respectively... [:(]

I used to know a consultant respiratory physician in London who smoked - which goes to prove it isn't what you <i>know</i> about the dangers which makes the difference. Nicotine is addictive. <b><font color="red">And as demonstrated by non-(active) smoker Roy Castle, breathing large volumes of air in smokey venues is not good for your health.</font id="red"></b>
    Andy

--- Beware of 'all things being equal' - because very often they are not. ---

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    That is merely a theory Andy, not a fact. It can never be proven that any individual case of cancer is down to cigarette smoke because if cigarettes had never been invented people would still get lung cancer.

Nobody ever got laid because they were using Shimano

I know that the case of Roy Castle is anecdotal - and that there are other causes of lung cancer. There is a risk in just about any activity, but knowing the chemical composition of cigarette smoke - one could never describe passive smoking as desirable or harmless.

This is from ASH admittedly but quite informative...
    http://www.ash.org.uk/html/factsheets/html/fact08.html

Andy

--- Beware of \'all things being equal\' - because very often they are not. ---
  • Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Peyote</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tourist Tony</i>

Bonj:

"eh? I'm not understanding what you're on about here."

At last, some Bonjocks I can agree with!
    Well, some people's idea of pleasure is smoking. The residue of their pleasure is smoke, which apparently, as it gets into my nose, mouth, eyes, clothes, food etc, only annoys me if I let it.
    My pleasure is beer. The residue of my pleasure is urine.
    Bonj, you know it will only annoy you if you let it when I stand on a chair and p<i></i>iss all over you...

Interesting analogy TT! [:)]

However, I think to make it a bit more accurate I would vapourise your urine and allow it to permiate the same medium that 2nd hand cigarette smoke inhabits!

So I'll make sure I get it into his mouth and eyes and all over his food. After all, it'll only annoy him if he lets it.

If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • It may not annoy him at all TT, in fact you may even be able to charge. I've heard rumour some folk like such... ...activities!
  • The Bosscp
    The Bosscp Posts: 647
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Commuter</i>

It's not the health aspect I don't like, it is the stinking clothes once you have been in a smoky pub and smoke from the end of a cigarette drafting into my face.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    But then it comes back to the green shirt analogy. You can't ban something just because YOU don't like it. Even if a lot of people don't like it, a lot of people don't like bright lime green shirts, but it's no reason to ban it. The point I'm making is the nanny-state anti-smoking lobby knew they couldn't get it banned just on the grounds that people don't like smelling other people's smoke, so they had to invent and propogate the myth that it's harmful to health.
  • The Bosscp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tourist Tony</i>

Well, some people's idea of pleasure is smoking. The residue of their pleasure is smoke, which apparently, as it gets into my nose, mouth, eyes, clothes, food etc, only annoys me if I let it.
    Bonj, you know it will only annoy you if you let it when I stand on a chair and p<i></i>iss all over you...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Well, that's not socially acceptable. And standing on a chair and doing it over somebody is done purely out of spite, you don't NEED to do it over somebody. Smoke is just a by-product of smoking, and not particularly unpleasant, not in the same way that pi<i></i>ss is.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Absinthe Minded</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Joe Sacco:

You seem to have missed the fact that they may want the choice of going to that restaraunt? Choosing not to go is hardly a choice is it!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">So, what you're saying is that some non smokers might like to go to a smokers restaurant but they don't want anybody smoking there?

So why do they want to go to a <b>smokers restaurant</b>?

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="2"><b><font color="purple">Ja sam napisao ovo ovde samo zbog toga da izgledam pametan...</font id="purple"></b></font id="size2">

<font size="2">See My route to work!</font id="size2">

But surely they are just restaurants? I didn't realise they were special smoking restaurants - will they exist after the ban? [:)]

Isn't the issue that every restaurant where smoking is allowed (which at the moment quite often is the norm) is therefore a "smoking" restaurant? Smoking impinges on other people. Non-smoking doesn't. After all, there is nothing I can do as a non-smoker that will impinge upon smokers (except maybe fart a lot - hey that's an idea![:D])

Stephen
  • andyoxon
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by The Boss</i>

Bonj, you know it will only annoy you if you let it when I stand on a chair and p<i></i>iss all over you...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Well, that's not socially acceptable. And standing on a chair and doing it over somebody is done purely out of spite, you don't NEED to do it over somebody. Smoke is just a by-product of smoking, and not particularly unpleasant, not in the same way that pi<i></i>ss is.

What do you make of this lot..?

<i>A few of the 4,000 chemicals in secondhand smoke, several of which are cancer causing agents, are listed below.

This is from Table 3-1, 1992 EPA Report, Respiratory Health Effects of Passive Smoking.

Benzene
    2-Napthylamine
    4-Aminobiphenyl
    Nickel
    Polonium 210 (radioactive)
    Nitrogen oxides
    N-Nitrosodimethylamine
    N-Nitrosodiethylamine
    N-Nitrosopyrrolidine
    1,3-Butadiene
    Analine
    Formaldehyde
    Hydrazine
    N-Nitrodiethanolamine
    Cadmium
    Benzo[a]pyrene
    Benz[a]anthracene
    Y-Butyrolactone
    Particulate matter
    N-Nitrosonornicotine
    NNK
    Carbon monoxide
    Carbon dioxide
    Carbonyl sulfide
    Toluene
    Acrolein
    Acetone
    Pyridine
    3-Methylpyridine
    3-Vinylpyridine
    Hydrogen cyanide
    Ammonia
    Methylamine
    Dimethylamine
    Nicotine
    Anatabine
    Phenol
    Catechol
    Hydorquinone
    Cholesterol
    Quinoline
    Harman
    Zinc
    Benzoic acid
    Lactic acid
    Glycolic acid
    Succinic acit
    PCDDs and PCDFs (Dioxins, Dibenzofurans)
    Formic acid
    Acetic acid
    Methyl chloride</i>

• Mister Paul
    Mister Paul Posts: 719
    You lost him after the B of 'benzene'.

• Medals
    Medals Posts: 44
    A couple of years ago me and my 3 mates were being 'smoked out' by two women next to us in the pub. Pi**ed off by this, my mate farted, saying outloud, words to the effect of, 'if I've got to smell your exhaled gas you can smell mine'. So starting the farting competition. Don't think they saw the funny side. But then, neither did we find it amusing having to breathe their smoke.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by andyoxon</i>

<i>Acetic acid</i>

Vinegar? Carcinogenic? Fish 'n' chips will never be the same again!
  • marinyork
    marinyork Posts: 271
    I thought vinegar was supposed to be bad for your heart?
  • I thought that was salt, couldn't find Sodium Chloride on AndyO's list!
  • The Bosscp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by andyoxon</i>

A few of the 4,000 chemicals in secondhand smoke, several of which are cancer causing agents, are listed below.

This is from Table 3-1, 1992 EPA Report, Respiratory Health Effects of Passive Smoking.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> Yes, but those are mainly trace compounds i.e. only present in miniscule quanitities, a lot of which are in fact probably present in the air aswell.
  • Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    So why do you allow p<i></i>iss to upset you, Bonj? You tell us it's a matter of choice!
    You prove one of my claims, anyway: those who deny climate change are the same sort of knobheads who deny that smoking is harmful.

Do you know if the giant lizards smoke?

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • speshcp
    speshcp Posts: 3,746
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by The Boss</i>
    Smoke is just a by-product of smoking,<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">No $hit Sherlock, I'd never have guessed that on my own... [:0][:D]

Somebody give that man a cigar! [:o)]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> and not particularly unpleasant...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">So you don't think being fumigated by cigarette smokers is unpleasant? Do you wear full NBC kit and a gas-mask on your nights out, then? [}:)][:D][}:)]

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." (Albert Einstein)
    </font id="size1">
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." (Albert Einstein)
  • andyoxon

A few of the 4,000 chemicals in secondhand smoke, several of which are cancer causing agents, are listed below.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> Yes, but those are mainly trace compounds i.e. only present in miniscule quanitities, a lot of which are in fact probably present in the air aswell. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> It takes many years for the harmful effects of these chemicals to cause symptoms of the most likely end diseases... Have a look at this... <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Most of the harmful substances in tobacco smoke are found at low levels in a single cigarette. But over months and years, many of them can build up to high levels in our bodies. This is why a smoker's risk of cancer and other diseases increases the more cigarettes they smoke a day, and the more years they spend smoking. Compared to non-smokers, the breath and blood of smokers can have: <font color="red"> * twice as much cadmium, * four times as much radioactive polonium-210 * ten times as much benzene * ten times as much arsenic</font id="red"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> And this... for more info on the chemicals themselves...
    http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/health ... ls/?a=5441

Not worth the risk really is it? Nor is it fair to subject others passively to these chemicals.

Andy

• The Bosscp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by spesh</i>

So you don't think being fumigated by cigarette smokers is unpleasant? Do you wear full NBC kit and a gas-mask on your nights out, then? [}:)][:D][}:)]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Not really, no. IF you don't like it, don't go there.
  • The Bosscp

So why do you allow p<i></i>iss to upset you, Bonj? You tell us it's a matter of choice!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Well, I don't know. Pi<i></i>ss on me, then. I'll take bets on how long it will take me to have you arrested.

You prove one of my claims, anyway: those who deny climate change are the same sort of knobheads who deny that smoking is harmful.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    I don't deny it's possibly slightly harmful to the smoker themself, what I deny is that it's harmful to other people who aren't the ones doing the smoking.
  • The Bosscp

Not worth the risk really is it? Nor is it fair to subject others passively to these chemicals.
    Oh, the old precautionary principle - that old one. We can't prove it, but you may aswell take our word for it because it might be true.
    The issue here is not non-smoking versus smoking, or whether passive smoking's harmful or not, it's just the nanny state brigade ever eager to clock up yet another ban.
  • andyoxon
    I don't deny it's possibly slightly harmful to the smoker themself, <font color="red">what I deny is that it's harmful to other people who aren't the ones doing the smoking.</font id="red">

Then have a look at this...

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> <font color="blue"><i>]<b>Second-hand smoke consists mainly of sidestream smoke, which is about four times more toxic than mainstream smoke, although people inhale it in a more diluted form.</b>

This is because sidestream smoke contains much higher levels of many of the poisons and cancer-causing chemicals in cigarettes, including:

* up to three times as much carbon monoxide
    * five times more cadmium
    * 3-10 times more polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons
    * 10-40 times more Nitrosamines
    * about 15 times more benzene
    * 40-70 times more ammonia</i></font id="blue"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/health ... ke/?a=5441

• Gary Askwith
    Gary Askwith Posts: 1,835
    Are you a chuffer Bossj perchance? [xx(]

Economic Growth; as dead as a Yangtze River dolphin....

• Mister Paul
    Mister Paul Posts: 719

So why do you allow p<i></i>iss to upset you, Bonj? You tell us it's a matter of choice!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Well, I don't know. Pi<i></i>ss on me, then. I'll take bets on how long it will take me to have you arrested.

You prove one of my claims, anyway: those who deny climate change are the same sort of knobheads who deny that smoking is harmful.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    I don't deny it's possibly slightly harmful to the smoker themself, what I deny is that it's harmful to other people who aren't the ones doing the smoking.

Bonj

I repeat the suggestion that I made to you a while ago.

Go and have a look around your local hospital. You may find the ENT department particularly interesting. You might want to look at it in your normal way -peering through squinted eyes with your fingers in your ears.

• andyoxon

Oh, the old precautionary principle - that old one. We can't prove it, but you may aswell take our word for it because it might be true.
    The issue here is not non-smoking versus smoking, or whether passive smoking's harmful or not, it's just the nanny state brigade ever eager to clock up yet another ban.

Not really, no. IF you don't like it, don't go there.

Well, it's academic thankfully... because after 1 July, and it's about time too - we won't have to sit in a pub (for example - chosen by a friend for a birthday drink) and breathe in everyone's else toxic second hand and sidestream smoke...

Andy

• The Bosscp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gary Askwith</i>

Are you a chuffer Bossj perchance? [xx(]
    Only socially, not in a public pub.
  • The Bosscp

Well, it's academic thankfully... because after 1 July, and it's about time too - we won't have to sit in a pub (for example - chosen by a friend for a birthday drink) and breathe in everyone's else toxic second hand and sidestream smoke...
    Don't think it'll be enforced to the letter in all pubs. There'll be some areas where it'll be a 'gentleman's agreement' / 'unwritten rule' that you can smoke in there, and no-one reports it because no-one in there minds.
  • andyoxon

Don't think it'll be enforced to the letter in all pubs. There'll be some areas where it'll be a 'gentleman's agreement' / 'unwritten rule' that you can smoke in there, and no-one reports it because no-one in there minds.

Now that is wishful thinking... the writing is on the wall, and the pubs are soon to be smoke free; from July...

• Gary Askwith
    Gary Askwith Posts: 1,835

I don't think so, no bar manager will risk the œx,000 fine
    BTW you must be the only 'social only' smoker in the UK.....I cant think of a single one who does not light up at any and every opportunity esp in the public bar

• jel
    jel Posts: 758

The fines are punitive and enforced by the council as it's a licensing issue backed up by health and safety legislation. The council want the fines and between licensing and H&S there will be very little wiggle room and it would be a brave man indeed to risk the enforcement on the basis that noone minds.

I run a licensed business, and work in a smoky environment day in day out: Can't come in soon enough.

On another note I guarantee that your gentleman's agreement will be reported because although people will tell you that it doesn't bother them ('do you mind if I smoke?") it does. And people are a bit insane anyhow.
  • The Bosscp
    I bet airport staff are bracing themselves for some angry stressed passengers.
  • snorri
    snorri Posts: 2,981

I bet airport staff are bracing themselves for some angry stressed passengers.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Not at all, many passengers will be more relaxed not having to contend with smokers in their midst.[:)]