Commute distance.

Comments

• MattHybrid
    MattHybrid Posts: 27
    I'm 3.33 miles from work, but my commute varies between 6.5-10 miles each way as choose to go via the scenic route. I hit a circular park about half way, so I get from 6.5-10 miles by doing laps, if I'm ok for time!

I'm moving house on the weekend though, so my commute will then be a short train ride, followed by a choice of 2 direct 8.5 mile rides along dedicate bike paths arriving at my managers house, followed by a 30 minute drive to work in his car!
    I'm riding a Revolution Courier Race fitted with mudguards. Did get a Pannier rack but it fell to bits!
  • JoeSoap76
    JoeSoap76 Posts: 109
    7 miles each way. Takes about 30 - 35 minutes on a good day (a 'good' day being one where I'm not trying to lug a pannier stuffed with books and a laptop into a head wind).

I'm lucky in that I walk out of my front door directly onto Route 75 of the National Cycle Network. That takes me almost all the way to the office.
  • dan1w
    dan1w Posts: 7
    34 mile round trip now, consisting of hilly country roads, a rural A road, and surburban streets.

Hertford>B158>A1000>High Barnet High Road>Finchley

Anyone else use a similar route? I see loads of other cyclists and am still yet to get a wave back. Although an old fella did cycle with me for a few minutes chatting away until he put on the gas and left me in his dust!

Diamondback R10 flat bar road bike. Waiting on my cyclescheme Ridgeback Panorama tourer.
  • fezzyboy
    fezzyboy Posts: 6
    Well

I go from Watford (Garston) to Oval in Sarff London.

I haven't really done it on a mileometer.. but a rough guide on t'internet isabout 21 miles each way.

I try for 4 days a week, and my bike is suffering for it. I have a twenty year old MBK Mistral steelo, with fricton shifters. Journey time last September was about 1:20- 1:25 hrs but I now have it down to about 1:10 hrs now (and I stop at the reds). My highlights have been........

Punctures and no tube to repair (twice) 3+ hrs to get home walking.

No front brake for 18 miles........ (nervous for 2 weeks after)

Two complete wheel sets courtesy of Barnet and Herts Councils (looked like a comedy joke bike after hitting big holes.)

New set of pedals after one fell to bits on route..literaly.

3 really near misses and finaly got nailed on Vauhhall bridge tuesday this week by an Audi driver...... No offence to Audi drivers......

The fellas at work look forward to my arrival for the next installment.......

i know that was a bit "off the message " but just writing "21 miles" seemed bland.

Love to all...............

No
    A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single turn of the pedals. ;-)
  • johnnyhotdog
    johnnyhotdog Posts: 142
    not my commute as such but my most regular ride - 4 or 5 times per week, if not more is 25 miles each way.

it's here:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/newmilns-to-glasgow-city-centre

:D

edit: don't know if this is relevant but i use a fixed wheel with a gear ratio of about 70.1 inches.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Commute diatance for me is approx (slight variations in route) 14.3 miles each way.

Starts on country roads (I live in a village), then onto a bridleway, then suburban roads, which can either lead onto a main urban road, or a cycle path, then city centre urban, and finally a cycle path past Pride Park.

Nice bit of variety on the way in and home
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • fonty1978
    fonty1978 Posts: 101
    Hi All

First time posting so thought this was a good post to reply to!

I recently bought a Scott Sportster p45 {R2W Scheme} which i have been riding in to work at least 3 times a week. The distance is 12.6 there and back.

It took me ages to find a decent route as one way is flat for 6.5 miles but 40mph narrow dual carriageway [a no go area after 4.30 pm for cyclists!!] this is probably the quickest but the least enjoyable as trucks like to force you into the gutter.

The route i ride now has more varied terrian lots of climbing but with some traffic calmed roads so this is my fave.
    Commuter Surosa Toledo S34 Audax
    Best Bike Merida Road Race 901-18

In truth i love them both
  • 30kms each way. And I'm not sure I recommend it!
  • Downwardi
    Downwardi Posts: 132
    Anywhere between 7.5 and 8.5 miles.
    Only doing 1 day per week due to circumstances but hope to go to 3 in the next month.

Still trying to find the best route currently to avoid the big hills (well the hill 1 mile from home) - Maybe 1.5 miles of Flat going around the hill may be better than struggling up the hill and feeling totally knackered when walking through the door.
    Will have a go tomorrow see which feels better.
    FCN 8 Hybrid
    FCN 4 Roadie
  • ManInMK
    ManInMK Posts: 1
    21 miles to the office and the same back, maybe 3 times a week but sometimes less.

Interesting point much earlier about the distance in not matching the distance out - mine varies by at least 0.2 miles whenever I do it. Probably the roundabouts...
  • emaichael
    emaichael Posts: 109
    i commute 16miles there, to college in the morning at 8oclock, and get in for 9, and in my class by 9:15am, after getting changed into a pair of jeans in my locker, lol. cus i wear all my racing Lycra haha! :)
    i then commute back 19miles to go to work, which takes just over an hour. as there are slightly more downhills on the way back, i go past my house and straight to work, in time for 5:30pm. then i finish work (part-time) and cycle 13.3miles in opposite direction of home, and back again and get home for 10pm...ish. and i do this 5days a week.
    sunday is my day off, but i'll probably go cycling on my own or with club then, at race speed for over 80miles (probably 120miles+ as i need to get to where everyone meets to cycle)

commuting commuting... its great fun with ur mp3player in one ear, and lots of energy drinks etc etc.
  • Harrid
    Harrid Posts: 22
    A smidge under 10 miles from Dumbarton into Glasgow, 3 or 4 times a week.

Got back on the bike a couple of months ago to lose weight, and it was another month before I had confidence enough in myself to try 10 miles twice in one day.

Started off using the NCN7 route into Glasgow but got sick of being gobbed on by groups of neds, so switched to the roads.

Don't go very fast but slight improvements each time.
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    About 7.5 miles down the A6 (Antrim Road) from north Belfast to the city centre. Slightly longer on the way back because of the one-way system in the city. It's all tarmac, mostly two lanes and there are combined cycle/bus lanes for some of the wider stretches. It's easy on the way in as it's all down hill (500ft altitude difference), unfit me can cruise my knobbly MTB at around 24mph, but the ride home can be tough!

I have an alternate route home that is flatish for most of the way but has a very steep climb at the end. Not sure which one I prefer :)
    Today is a good day to ride
  • Tinks29
    Tinks29 Posts: 4
    Hi,

I have just started commuting and try to attempt 14 miles each way but its hard going at the moment
  • JMC39
    JMC39 Posts: 38
    Done my first week of 9 mile round trip, although I've discovered nobblies and rain aren't my friend!
    FNC 13 - Nobbly MTB, Pannier, Normal clothes, and GPS!
  • 15 miles each way.
  • Mine is about 8-9 miles depending on route. South West Wolverhampton to North Wolverhampton. Mainly canal as the canal runs past work and its a mix of gravel path, block paving and tarmac as its a heavily used route. I do about 2 miles on road to get to/from the canal to my house.

Nice an easy, most of the route is traffic free and fume free!
  • karl j
    karl j Posts: 517
    Why don't pages 27 & 28 work ? I just get a message saying "no posts exist for this topic"

ho-hum ... anyhow ...

c.26 miles each way but it's spaced out through the week. As its an East - West ride the wind is usually headwind going in in the morning so i only do that once or twice a week but the, usually tailwind assisted, ride home i do on average 3 or 4 times a week. Remaining journeys are bike / train / bike.

Exact routes, or a reasonable approximation of, in my sig
    Morning route (when i don't get the train)

Evening route ,
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    Manchester To Hyde and back 7 Miles Each Way
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • 11.5 miles each way - across from Charlton to Knightsbridge. I've found a wonderful route that avoids much of the worst of the London traffic. I've been cycling this regularly in good conditions and find it so much better than public transport. Not looking forward to the autumn/winter either way.

It soon adds up - reckon I've cycled nearly 400 miles in the last month alone. Should have started earlier in the year.
  • GregP
    GregP Posts: 23
    5.5 miles each way, mixed bag of industrial estates, main roads and country lanes. Gently undulating.
    Commuting: Brompton M3L (2009) - FCN 13
  • 10 miles in and back from Midsomer Norton to Bath(fairly hilly but quite fast) or 16 miles Midsomer Norton to Clifton, Bristol (evil hills and cvntish HGV drivers) on my new bike......
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0280602739
    Takes just over half hour for the 10 miles to Bath, on my old cannondale cad 2 r500 about 50 mins :shock: The bike definately makes a huge difference 8)
  • P.s, due to traffic/ bus routes if i feel lazy/ it's to miserable then i get the bus and it takes an hour or more :shock:
  • Leatherhead to Soho - which is about 23 miles each way, normaly 5 times a week, unless I break a spoke which has happened 3 times now !
  • ajf1
    ajf1 Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm also new to the forum, I must have the shortest commute, if thats what you could call it. It is infact 0.63 of a mile each way. :oops:
    Saracen Vortex LE08
  • I have two routes (& two different bikes)
    Start & End points are the same , being Esher to Stockley Park

Route 1 is 13 miles - Bike = Genesis Day 2
    via Thames Ditton, Hampton Court, Bushy Park (v nice), Teddington, Hounslow & Hayes

Best time to ride 55mins, To drive same route is anywhere between 40mins - 1h 20m

Route 2 is 18 miles, Bike = 15 year-old Peugeot, with knobbly tires
    via Surbiton, then along Thames path through Kingston, Teddington, Richmond, across Richmond Bridge, then through Syon Park onto Brentford where I pick up Grand Union Canal all the way to Stockley Park. Only about 4 miles on road & it's a nice route when you have time to appreciate the wildlife (Herons, Coots, Swans)
    Time - about 1h 20m to 1h40m

Mike
  • 34 miles round trip. Outward is 16.5 miles (down a hill with an awkward roundabout at the end) inward is 17.5. The inward avoids the roundabout/hill by following the riverside cycle path. Managed to get both down to 1 hr 5-10 mins. Took me 45 mins to drive 15 miles on Friday!? :lol:
  • 12 mile round trip for me! Slingsby to Malton (North Yorkshire) on a fairly busy (not by London standards!! lol) country road that has one or two minor hills/slopes!
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    depending on which route I take (through the hilly way through the town, or the flat way via the river) between 12 and 14 mile around
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I don't think I could handle a commute of more than 10 miles each way - I'd get too bored, or too demotivated by the thought. For every day I have where I wish my 7 mile commute was longer, I have another day just wishing I could be home.
This discussion has been closed.