2024 Transfer Rumours (and confirmed signings)

Comments

• m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,472

I don't think a DS is in charge of the roster. He'd be responsible for day to day race operations and tactics. Not much there that you can change as it's a fairly reactive job and dependent on the roster at the race. Having someone who understands peloton politics and racing ought to be a good enough base to build on.

PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,520

Jan Tratnik's much rumoured move to Red Bull-Bora-Hansgrohe is confirmed.

• roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 515

Surely there’s input from the staff, feedback, suggestions? They’re the guys on the ground, seeing riders day to day, interacting. Are you saying they have no input at all?

I still think it’s better he goes to a different team, he’s too ingrained in the Ineos way.

• DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,247

Paul Seixas (recently 3rd in the European junior road race) is being promoted from the Decathlon U19 team directly to the WT team next year. He's widely regarded as the best climber riding in the juniors right now and has a bunch of wins including Giro della Lunigiana and junior LBL, but I wonder if he'd not have been better to do at least a year in the U23s.

• DeadCalm

WVA has re-signed for VLAB for the remainder of his career.

• m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,472

No I agree with you. At least that is how it should be. Not sure every team operates that way though. As to building a roster, there is only so much info you can get on a rider who isn't in your team. Cycling seems to be easier to manage that though, since there are plenty of objective metrics to base your decision on compared to many other sports.

PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • andyp

Elise Chabbey to FDJ-Suez on a two year deal. If, as expected, Vollering does sign for them, SD-Worx are going to have a genuine rival.

• amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,312
    edited September 19

• andyp

Valentin Paret-Peintre joins Soudal-Quick Step on a two year deal.

I’m surprised Decathlon-AG2R didn’t do moremto keep him as he was a very valuable rider for them at both the Giro and the Vuelta this year.

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,633
    edited September 26

wrong thread

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • andyp

Wrong thread I think, @No_Ta_Doctor ?

• DeadCalm

Jelte Krijnsen who impressed during the ToB while riding for Q36.5 as a stagiare has earned himself a WT deal with Jayco.

• andyp

Evenepoel has confirmed he is riding for Soudal-Quick Step next season, i.e. the long-rumoured move to Red Bull-Bora-Hansgrohe isn't happening.

• Ben Wiggins is a stagiaire for Jayco at the Croatia Tour

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,940
    edited October 1

I noticed that :-)

A stagiaire is effectively like a trainee or an apprentice I think (?), but I don't think they are guaranteed a move up to the parent team afterwards is that correct?

Potentially a more logical path though.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • andyp
    edited October 1

Wiggins has been riding for Hagens Berman Jayco this season, Axel Merckx's development team that is partially supported by Jayco Alula (hence them being one of the title sponsors). It's normal for u23 riders to do a few races as a stagiaire at this time of the year, mainly to give them experience of riding in the pro peloton, and to give the team a chance to see how they fit in, assess their performances etc.

Jayco-Alula have already taken on two stagiaires; Alistair Mackellar and Pavel Novak. The former has also been riding for Hagens Berman Jayco this season.

None of the three have a contract with Jayco-Alula next season, but they still have space in their roster as they currently have 26 riders confirmed for next season (and WT teams can have 30 in total).

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,392

If he ends up in the pro peloton next season I'm going to feel very old.

• andyp

Elisa Longo-Borghini's much rumoured move to UAE-ADQ now confirmed.

• No_Ta_Doctor

I reckon you're alright unless you remember his grandad riding 6Days in Gent

• andyp

Decathlon-AG2R finalise their lineup for next season, announcing four new signings; Stefan Bisseger, Callum Scotson, Tord Gudmestad and Johannes Staune-Mittet.

Which means no contract extension for the Motown Maestro, Larry Warbasse. 😢

• wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 862

That's a shame; he's a decent man on the inside for podcasts.

Wonder if there's room for him at the Israel retirement home or if that's it?

================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,940

That's a real shame for Warbasse, wonder if any other team will look to pick him up.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,247

He's 34 and had 12 years at the top table. That's a good run for a domestique. So no shame. I'm sure his podcast work will open some decent doors.

Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,392

He did some stints on the Tour?? for Discovery + didn't he?

• andyp

Natnael Tesfatsion moving from Lidl-Trek to Movistar.

Brodie Chapman has followed Elisa Longo-Borghini from Lidl-Trek to UAE-ADQ, presumably at the request of the latter.

• andyp

There's no shame at all if he chooses to retire, but he's been a valuable (and loyal) domestique for Decathlon-AG2R and Ben O'Connor specifically, for the past few seasons so it's a shame they don't have a role for him next year. (Although it wouldn't surprise me if he moved into a team support role in the future, especially one that was performance related).

I'm sure if he wants to ride for a season or more then he'll be able to get a ride somewhere.

• No_Ta_Doctor

Ben O'Connor is moving to Jayco though. They still seem to have a few roster places for next season, so maybe Warbasse goes with him if the relationship is tight.

Personally, I'd have thought 34 was about prime age for an experienced domestique who wants the road captain role, that's the same age as Rowe, who's only retiring because he's taken one too many knocks to the head.

• r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,423

Hope he finds a new team, remember he's already had a near miss when Aqua Blue folded

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,647

Daniel Lloyd left him a space at Eurosport, he’s ideal.