2024 Transfer Rumours (and confirmed signings)

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,519

He was rumoured to be signing for Ineos before the Vuelta started, as a long term replacement for Jonathan Castroviejo.

• r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,423

Sorry think that was my bad, today's news article was Cummings being replaced by Kurt Bogaerts for the ToB, not permanently (which was how I initially read it)

• Is that not part of the DSM moneyball model though with the expectation that decent riders will be bought out for transfer fees rather than see out their contract?

================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,633

Jacopo Guarnieri retires, and yeah, that's how to do a retirement video

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,423

Daniel Benson reporting that Trinity Racing might fold at the end of the year if they can't find a major sponsor

• andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,186

Ah, somebody on a Reddit thread mentioned that a few months ago - which I thought surprising. However, they're not really sponsored; Specialized supplies them, and interestingly, they have both Shimano & Sram groupsets. Would be a massive loss as they've provided so much talent.

All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,247
    edited September 6

Yep, as you say, dropped the last man. Impressive at the finish but he had a lot of help there. I hope Ineos didn't take it into account when signing him. For perspective, when Ayuso took it off Vingegaard (whose KOM was also achieved via a Coloquick TTT), it was toward the end of a hard 180km training ride.

Any idea what is happening with Theodor Storm? No races at all in 2024 as far as I can see. Is he injured?

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,940

Good shout on Storm, recall him being signed, but not a single event for him in 2024, surely must be injured, or unable to ride for some reason.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 515

Surely a perfect opportunity for Ineos to step in and support them. They're crying out for a development team.

• DeadCalm

That makes so much sense. Therefore, it is bound not to happen.

• Isn't one of the McQuaids involved with Trinity in some way?

The agent one, who has a number of Ineos riders on his books? Andrew, I think his name is?

Surely there's a way for the team to carry on, but then maybe this was foretold as Pete Kennaugh seems to have lined a different job up

• roscoe

Yes, Andrew McQuaid.

What an opportunity for Ineos to send young riders to domestic races.

• daniel_b
    edited September 6

They could also rebrand them as The Ineos Guardsmen :-)

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • andyrac

Yes, the team was set up originally for Pidcock as TP Racing after he left Telenet, and Team Wiggins folded. Since then they became Trinity Racing, and they've had some major talents pass through, whether onto the WT, or into top level MTB.

All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • DeadCalm

Just to follow up on this, I believe Ineos, Red Bull, Jayco, EF and Movistar are the only WT teams without development squads.

Movistar seem to barely have any interest in U23s, instead relying on picking up the best from the Spanish pro tour teams with predictable degrees of success.

Jayco and EF both seem to have their fingers on the pulse of the U23 scene and are adept at picking up decent riders overlooked by the other teams. This works for their more modest ambitions but is unlikely to bag them a top, top talent.

Red Bull are starting an U23 squad from next year and going for it in a big way if the rumours are to be believed. They have realised that if you want to attract the cream of the crop, you need to identify the best riders at junior level and get them to sign to your development squad. Yes, there are riders (Evenepoel and possibly Withen Philipsen) who are capable of going straight to the pros from the juniors but they are few and far between. Most need at least a year riding U23 level.

Ineos seem to have realised that they need to find the riders when they are young as evidenced by their spate of recent signings. Their ability to spot talent seems questionable to me but the even bigger problem is that they aren't able to give these youngsters a race schedule that would best suit them.

So, yes, I agree that a tie-up between Ineos and Trinity would seem a perfect solution.

• andyp

Jayco are a co-sponsor of Hagens Berman Jayco (big hint there), Axel Merckx's development squad.

• DeadCalm

As I understand it, there is "an arrangement" in place between the teams rather that HBJ being a full on dev squad. I'm not sure what that amounts to, possibly placing riders like Alastair Mackellar and Hamish McKenzie in the HBJ squad, maybe? Actually, a similar arrangement between Ineos and Trinity, with Ineos providing enough money to keep Trinity afloat, might be a perfect solution.

In any event, it further emphasises just how out of touch Ineos are having no U23 squad.

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,633

There's assumption of an illness, but it's all been kept very quiet and I wouldn't want to speculate. Danish cycling media has also respected that. He's back riding his bike now though.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • andyp

Another Trinity supported rider joins the pro ranks, as Imogen Wolff signs for Visma-Lease a Bike.

• andyrac

And Junior XCO World Champion Viktoria Chladonova also joins Visma; the team where MTB careers end........

• DeadCalm
    edited September 9

Ineos have apparently tried (but failed) to steal l'Avenir runner up Pablo Torres from UAE. That's the sort of signing they should be looking at but, without a U23 team, is going to be extremely difficult to make.

Edit: I've just seen that Paul Seixas isn't confirmed to be staying at Decathlon. If I were Ineos, I'd be all over that situation.

• andyp

Oier Lazkano confirmed to be leaving Movistar for Red Bull-Bora-Hansgrohe on a two year deal.

• andyp

Pablo Torres, who very nearly won the Tour de l’Avenir on the Finestre, is likely to be joining the UAE World Tour team next season. He’s been riding for their development team, and was expected to turn pro in a year or two, but it now looks like it’ll happen sooner. Ineos made him an offer, but it sounds like he wants to stay with UAE.

• andyp

Not a rider transfer, but Daniel Benson is reporting that Luke Rowe will be joining Decathlon-AG2R as a DS for next season.

• m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,472
    edited September 16

Well that's surprising. Does Ineos not need him at all? Would have seemed like a no brainer.

PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,392

Might not be a bad thing, you can sometimes be too close going into management at a team where you've just been one of the 'players'.

• roscoe

Ineos need fresh ideas and input, I’m not sure promoting a rider that’s been there for 13 years would have brought that.

• daniel_b

Could be from both sides, but maybe with everything he can see happening over the last few years, and potentially being more aware of it over the last few months having not ridden, he has decided he needs a total new team to work with.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b

Just watched some of a Simon Yates interview - he took a paycut to go to VLAB.

I was one of the people who thought he had gone there for one final big payday, so monumentally wrong there 🤣

Good luck to him, he's clearly still very driven, and sometimes I think a change of scene / approach is a requirement.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18