Photography Thread

Comments

• Pleasing image taken, summing up an enjoyably pleasant weeks holiday in Amsterdam.

Really didn't want to come back.

You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157

Just cos stating the bleeding obvious is what I do best, 😉, manual focus and burst shooting?

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,391

When I took the dogs last night just before going to bed I noticed a few stars were beginning to poke through the blanket cloud we'd had all day. I hoped it might be enough to just grab a few shots in the harbour and thought I might not get any better opportunities whilst down here so grabbed my kit. By time I'd walked the 100m to the seafront the sky was completely clear and I could see the full arch of the Milky Way running southwest to northeast. Managed a load of photos from my one location then moved to the harbour beach and took some more then just as I was finishing it clouded back over. Couldn't believe my luck, I even got a few shooting stars. This is my first edit of the panorama I took of the Milky Way rising behind Mousehole (taken from the cliff pool for those who know it)

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,987

One of my traditional "I'm home!" shots to stop the middle-aged French female fans from worrying that I've been kidnapped or fallen off my bike. Good use of the 'hand held low light' mode, which takes four photos and blends them, with a fair bit of error correction from movement, I guess.

• briantrumpet

This was the other one I was quite pleased with from yesterday... kind of wanted it without people, but it'll do.

• Pross

Forgot the camera today for a trip to Cape Cornwall in proper Cornish weather and had to make do with the phone. So much better and less touristy than Land’s End.

• Pross

Then went full Poldark, just needed Brian and his scythe.

Could have done with my camera and zoom lens for the bottom one.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336

I love Bottallack. A close friend used to work for the National Trust and I've stayed in the cottage just up the lane from the Count House. The ruin at the base of the chimney with the winding tunnel (arsenic labyrinth) is designed to condense out arsenic from flue gases. Must have been a grim place to work. Difficult to imagine that the nearby Kenidjack valley was completely industrialised at one point.

Have also walked up to the Sennen Cove Coastguard lookout point in a storm, which is recommended. (Very basic photo from 2007)

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross

We only had about 15 minutes at Bottallack unfortunately as the weather was coming in and we’d left the oldies in the car. The main reason I went was to see it in daylight as it is somewhere I’ve got shots planned if I get a clear night. I hadn’t realised quite how extensive the workings there were. It would be nice to go back and explore a bit more. West Penwith is what I think of as proper Cornwall.

• rjsterry

Was reading more about the arsenic labyrinth. They calcined tin ore in a furnace and ran the flue gases through the tunnels and up the chimney. The furnace would be periodically extinguished to remove the ore and then men had to manually scrape the condensed arsenic off the walls of the labyrinth.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry

Last rays

Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    edited September 11

Was built in 1903 as well, so right at the end of the tin industry. By that point the first stirrings of H&S had started on the railways because they were killing or injuring something like 20,000 staff a year. The GWR had its own prosthetic workshop.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Webboo2
    Webboo2 Posts: 942

Yet folk like Steveio wonder why they have such strong unions, I wonder how many accountant’s were killed at work in 1903.🤔

• rjsterry
    edited September 11

Mine owners were worse: after one explosion, they docked the victims pay because they didn't complete the shift on account of being buried under tonnes of rock.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 677

@Webboo2 "folk like Steveio wonder"

The blind, singing piano playing one??

• Pross

The colour of the sea down here has been incredible. I guess South West Water dump all their sewerage in Devon instead!

• rjsterry
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross

I've had an idea for a composition to capture whilst down here for a few months but the weather has been frustrating. A week in advance it was showing clear skies but the closer we got the worse it was and it has been mainly cloudy nights other than that one unexpected hour last Sunday. Last night was looking to be a better chance so I went back to Botallack with the aim of capturing the Milky Way looking like it was smoke rising from one of the chimneys. Unfortunately there was stubborn cloud lingering plus the half moon was adjacent to the Milky Way and didn't set until after the Galactic Core had gone below the horizon but I waited until just after it set and managed to get something close to what I was aiming for. Image is a 5 x 3 panel panorama with each panel being a stack of 6 x 10" images (with all the work then being undone to get soething that can be uploaded on here).

• briantrumpet

The time, thought and effort/skill you put into this is very impressive, Pross.

• Pross
    edited September 13

I took around 450 photos when I was there. Most of them on my new (second hand) 50mm lens. Unfortunately those all got dumped as the moonlight was too bright and I’d somehow managed to knock it out of focus (probably when putting the lens cap back on after setting up). It’s really relaxing being in the dark on your own other than some wildlife plus, in this case, the sound of the waves. Saw a barn owl as I was walking back to my car, it flew in front of me then stopped on one of the ruins watching me before taking off again.

• pblakeney

These things are always subjective but I'd be knocking the exposure down a touch.

Feel free to ignore as I've never got the Milky Way looking so good as it's just not my bag although I do appreciate it.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross

I edited it on the laptop which I think has the screen settings too dark. My normal setup has the laptop connected to a proper monitor and that always looks much brighter. As soon as I sent it to my phone it looked much lighter. I could have done with doing the foreground on a longer exposure and blending that with the sky as it was too dark on the originals.

Off topic but having forgotten to bring my mouse away I really struggle to understand how people work solely on a laptop with the touchpad. I should probably have saved my editing until I got home and had a proper setup.

• briantrumpet

Yes, I thought the same. I actually find it hard to get my main two (cheap) laptops to hold whatever calibration I set (or maybe my perception is very variable), and then even if I get things looking what I think is good, I look at the same photos the next morning and think I've got it wrong.

• pblakeney

That makes sense, and why I calibrate my screen. But then you are relying on everyone's screen being close. I guess there is some comfort in knowing that your screen is correct and can calibrate comments accordingly. 😉

Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross

Oddly, both times I’ve sent a photo off for printing I’ve done it based on my main monitor and it has come back dark like on the laptop screen. I need to find somewhere to take the photos where they can adjust the file to match what is printed.

• pblakeney

Just in case you are unaware, Soft Proofing is what you need to do. Yet another rabbit hole to go down/research.

Veronese68 wrote: