Photography Thread

1202203204205206208»

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,388

Agree, that was a quick edit on the phone as I didn’t have the cable to connect to my laptop. I’ve now realised that as I’ve transferred them to my phone via the Canon app I can upload to my laptop with the phone cable so will edit properly tonight.

• Pross

Really annoyed with myself for not rechecking focus after moving. I messed up what should have been some decent shots. I did take the ones at our cabin again but the aurora had died down a bit by then.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157

Look on the bright side. While you were concentrating on all the other things required to take these shots you weren't thinking about what else is going on in the world. Good for mental health.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross

Just a couple of phone snaps today as it was pissing down most of the time so I didn't want to damage the camera. Cragside was quite atmospheric in the mist (and a very interesting place) then onto Lindisfarne / Holy Island. Didn't manage to photograph the seals we saw or the 3 roe deer that decide to cross the causeway right in front of my car.

• pblakeney
    edited October 8

Ooooo! Much better. This is the answer when people ask me why I bother spending the time post processing.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross

Just a heads up but it looks like there could be incredibly strong aurora tonight (proper dancing columns) and I think the skies are looking like being clear in many places. Worth grabbing your camera / phone and getting away from light pollution as much as possible.

• Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,492

Out of my bedroom window. Taken with the phone on a 20sec exposure. Handheld then cropped to take the house out.

Wasn't visible with the naked eye to me in Sussex but liking the silhouette of the oak.

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,058

Some aren't the best but I'm still giving likes out for the aurora effort.

You're welcome.

• Pross

I got my photo with the Aurora / STEVE with the farmhouse put onto canvas (600mm x 450mm 20mm thick). I was a bit worried that the colours would be wrong as we’ve discussed before how different the image can look on different displays. I ordered yesterday morning with this company https://www.tradecanvasprint.co.uk/ the website allowed me to upload the full 300mB TIFF file which none of the big companies did. It turned up today. It’s exactly the same as on my screen and the wife had already hung it by time I got home. I’d highly recommend them for anyone looking to get prints of a favourite photo. It was only after ordering I discovered they’re in a tiny village where we go for Sunday lunch when staying at the in-laws caravan.

• pblakeney

Just out of curiosity, which one of the three did you get printed? I'd have went for #1 but that's irrelevant.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross

Yep, that’s my favourite composition by far. The others were more to capture the weird white streak that is the now famous STEVE. That first one is also really high definition as it was a 15 shot panorama albeit cropped a bit. I was really pleased how it came out on canvas. I had a previous Milky Way photo done as a print and it came back really dark so I’ve never put it up.

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,987

Thanks for the tip about canvas printing, Pross - useful to know. I've had some done by Photobox in the past, including a 3x2ft one I've got in front of me right now, but good to hear of somewhere else that does a really good job.

Meanwhile, at Two Bridges yesterday morning...

• Pross

There was a beautiful lunar corona when I was walking the dogs, basically a circular rainbow around the road from the bright moon behind thin clouds diffracting the water in the clouds. Grabbed my camera when I got in the house but the cloud had cleared by then.

• briantrumpet

Must go out and have a look.

Meanwhile, on the ride home... taken on my £140 Samsung.

• briantrumpet

Not overwhelmed, either by the moon, or the ability of my camera to capture both ground and bright moon. My aged eyes do a much better job.

• Pross

Full moon in a landscape are a real challenge for any camera. It needs a composite really to deal with the different exposures.

• briantrumpet

Yeah. TBH, even a full moon by itself in darkness is a challenge for my cheapo gear, let alone trying to get anything in the foreground.

• pblakeney

IIRC a "supermoon appears 30% bigger than a standard moon. Trouble is the standard moon appears to be about the size of your pinkie nail at arms length (try it 😏). Our brains interpret it as being much bigger than it actually is which is why photos are generally disappointing.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross

Yeah it’s not helped that you get people shooting it rising behind buildings miles and miles away with 600mm lenses that make it look huge so then when some with the sort of kit most people have (phone, compact or DSLR with kit lens) it looks puny. Others just use editing software to make the moon bigger in comparison.