Today's discussion about the news

Comments

• wallace_and_gromit
    wallace_and_gromit Posts: 3,390

My daughters are the same sort of age and have spent a lot of time in communal changing facilities for swimming galas. Not all pools and sports centres have cubicles, and even if they do, squeezing into race suits can be a shared task (they are seriously hard to get into) which is best done in a more open space.

But anyway, why should females have to surrender their private spaces to males? Society needs to find a different way to solve whatever issues make some males feel they can only cope with the female rather than male changing rooms. This may involve males making sacrifices, which is likely one of the impediments to common sense breaking out on this issue, as males tend to not like doing this if there's a potential solution that involves females making sacrifices.

• carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771

Could be. Shes been a gym member for a few years, I think its pretty common to go to the gym in gym kit, and go home afterwards to get showered and changed? I guess people do get changed there (commuters etc) but its easily avoided.

2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • wallace_and_gromit

"For trans women to potentially adversely affect all women there would need to be a lot more trans people and for all of them to be in it with some kind of ulterior motive."

This is demonstrates one of the problems with this issue. For many females, the mere presence of males in changing rooms / toilets is extremely distressing. Not so much an issue with a well known work colleague perhaps, but a definite issue when the male is not known to the female. There doesn't need to be an ulterior motive. Think of it as if your wife / gf is walking alone at night e.g. heading across a dimly lit car park. Is she likely to be sh*t scared as a matter of course if she hears/sees a guy running up to her, or will she only be scared if there turns out to be an ulterior motive involved?

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625

Tbf the issue is not trans people but men nefariously using concessions to trans people to indulge in inappropriate behaviour.

• rick_chasey
    edited June 4

Not really. I swim in the gym and I’d say most people there with me are getting changed and showering there.

Tbf it’s not like its without its problems - I had a man hit on me as I was drying myself after I’d taken my swimming shorts off 🤷🏻‍♂️

• wallace_and_gromit

re [changing rooms] are "easily avoided" the question of course is why should females have to avoid changing rooms to avoid males who are legitimately in there via being able to self-ID as a woman? Surely the fairer solution is to have female-only changing rooms.

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602

Sure ok, but you still make it sound like there are trans women lurking in most public toilets and changing rooms across the country, whilst also maintaining they are a tiny minority.

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771

To avoid any conflicts Id like to see a move to maybe communal areas for those that are comfortable and provision of cubicles etc for those that want privacy - as RC showed above, plenty of scenarios can occur. I wouldn't want to force a trans woman into a mens changing room.

Withouhout going down rabbit holes, I think most problems that get discussed can be solved quite easily.

2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,536

The finance bros I met? That gender identity seems much more varied among current graduates than people who gave had long enough in their careers to be worth Rick meeting?

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084

Lol. Round it up to half a percent if you like. Do you think they can predict next year's public spending to ±0.5%?

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,683

Possibly I guess. He only liaises with the top 1%....

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598

That is a lot of money in absolute terms however you try to spin it.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    edited June 4

In the scope of public spending it isn't. It would also be a bit cheaper if we hadn't just handed half a billion to a country that isn't going to take any UK asylum seekers. To put it into perspective, the government has allocated £10bn just for blood contamination compensation.

Are there better ways to deal with immigration? Sure. But the current government clearly haven't got a f***ing clue where to even start.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• wallace_and_gromit

Don't recall opining on the quantities lurking anywhere. But it's not really a numbers game tbh. It's more a case of "Why should females be forced to give up their rights, to solve someone else's problems, when other solutions exist?"

But if you want to play the "numbers game", at the British Summer Swimming Champs last year, on the first day, there was a trans woman (an accredited volunteer) in the female changing room whilst the female swimmers were attempting to get changed into race suits prior to racing. The trans woman didn't come remotely close to "passing" as a woman, and word quickly got round that there was a bloke in the female changing rooms. The situation was eventually resolved, as the parents and the pool management took an uncompromising view, but until it was, there were circa 200 female swimmers adversely affected (fear, unease or simply having to change their pre-race routine to get changed somewhere else in private) on potentially the most important race day of the season, just because of one male who happened to need a sit down in the female changing room when there were lots of young, athletic females wanting to get changed.

• rick_chasey
    edited June 5

I think the real issue is not about fair use of the rules that allow for trans issues to be handled easily - the issue is about how open those rules are to abuse.

I do not think there is a way around it.

The question then becomes what is more costly, the cost to the trans community for not having the legal allowances, or is it the cost to everyone else when men (and lesser extent women) abuse the rules.

I suspect the amount of cis men and women who are interested in abusing the rules are probably more numerous than the number of trans people but I have no evidence for that.

Within the trans community I would imagine there is a minority who also are interested in the rules for nefarious reasons too.

• wallace_and_gromit

Rick - What legal allowances do you think the trans community currently lack?

• pangolin

You made it a numbers game when you said it potentially affected 50% of the population. The 0.1% must have one hell of a rota system.

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    edited June 5

Things like legally being able to change your sex -

If you are born a man but want to identify as a women and you get sent to a men's prison, I imagine if you're authentically trans (and not doing it to give you access to women to abuse) it can be quite traumatic to be segregated on the wrong side of the gender, right? We can decide, tough shit, you went to prison, but they're the kind of things.

I think in general, trans people who are fundamentally unhappy with being born the other sex do find it extremely hard when society won't go a long with their gender change. It makes the unhappiness/trauma, whatever you want to call it, much worse.

So they want rules that allow them to be the other gender in instances where gender is segregated.

But if someone is a male predator on females, wouldn't it be easy if they can self-identify as a woman and stroll into women's only spaces?

You can't square that circle.

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387

Well just over 50% of the population are female.

The key word used was POTENTIALLY.

• wallace_and_gromit

Rick - re "If you are born a man but want to identify as a women and you get sent to a men's prison, I imagine if you're authentically trans (and not doing it to give you access to women to abuse) it can be quite traumatic to be segregated on the wrong side of the gender, right? We can decide, tough shit, you went to prison, but they're the kind of things" it is indeed a difficult circle to square.

But the issue for males who identify as women is violence from other males. It's not obviously a problem for females to solve by accommodating males in prison, changing rooms etc. Or put another way, why should females be exposed to the fear / risk of male violence to prevent males being exposed to the fear / risk of male violence?

Re "I think in general, trans people who are fundamentally unhappy with being born the other sex do find it extremely hard when society won't go a long with their gender change" the UK population is remarkably tolerant of all manner of what could be termed "unusual lifestyles" but only to the point where their rights don't have to be given up. Or put another way, trans folk encounter very little hostility from the masses. But what they won't get is much "validation". e.g. folk on the whole are quite happy for blokes to wear dresses and make up change their name etc. but they are much less happy to agree that said dress-wearing bloke is actually a woman or has changed sex.

Anecdotally, validation is what a lot of trans women want. e.g. where there are outdoor swimming pools that are men-only, women-only and mixed. Guess which pool the trans women want to go in where such a 3-way split is available? (Violence unlikely in any of them as they are generally lifeguarded.)

• rick_chasey

We're saying the same stuff tbh Wallace.

• wallace_and_gromit

Quite biology lesson - circa 50% of the population is female and it's somewhat concerning that you're so casually dismissive of this half of the population.

And the 0.1% stat is the relates to genuinely trans folk i.e. those with a medical diagnosis. It's those who seek exploit weaknesses in safeguarding procedures that are the real concern.

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,536

Is that allowance not currently there. It just takes a monumental amount of effort.

If I recall correctly, the current NHS guidelines/ process is that you have to live as the opposite gender for 2 years, at which point you can start hormone treatment. Which can mean two years of looking pretty unconventional.

• pangolin

I'm not dismissing them I'm saying they're not all affected. We can be sure the actual number is somewhere between the couple of hundred in your anecdote and ALL WOMEN though.

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rjsterry
    edited June 5

Some muddled thinking here. If the argument is about risk then it is a numbers question and we are being very selective about what risks we are trying to mitigate. If the argument is about whether people feel comfortable with this or that, it's a completely subjective and culturally varying question. There seems to be a fair bit of starting from some people's discomfort and then trying to justify mitigation of that discomfort (which causes discomfort to others) with unquantified risk.

Segregated changing rooms are not a designed solution to a carefully assessed risk. They're a cultural norm. That's not to trivialise those norms Thinking carefully about where trans prisoners are housed is a risk mitigation. It's a different thing.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523

There must be something newsworthy not related to the election to discuss.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756

Indian election?