Today's discussion about the news

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,525

So this chap didn't want to join the pro Israel counter demonstration that was happening nor did he want to march with the pro Palestinians. Instead he wanted to walk in the opposite direction of the march, because he should be able to walk where he likes.

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,521

It's probably just as well you're not in charge of any police tactics, given that you can't seem to accept that humans in crowds behave in unfortunate ways. I too hate how football crowds behave, but I'm not going to claim to know how to police them. I'm not sure if you think it would have been better to disrupt 20,000 protesters (or however many there were) than one person who appears to have been gunning for conflict, but that's how it's coming across.

• secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,027
    edited April 22

Pretty much so. He was on the Stephen Nolan show on 5 live last night. When asked what he wanted he said, the resignation of Mark Rowley and for the pro-Palestinian marches to be banned.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,635
    edited April 22

Hey look, I've never pretended I am a policing expert. Far from it.

I am however of the view if the police took a zero tolerance policy for hooligan behaviour (aka, arresting anyone and everyone who breaks the law) and equivalent at these protests, the troubles would stop fairly quickly.

Problem is, they don't have the manpower. But I don't see why that absolves the police from criticism. If my company ballses stuff up because we don't have enough employees, that's still our problem.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,525

Then he should join the counter protests, but he didn't seem to want to do that.

• briantrumpet

If using a few unfortunately chosen words (and the transcript suggests that even that is debatable) is the worst thing that happened at a demonstration involving thousands of protesters (some of whom might or might not have been trouble-makers), then I think that would probably go down as a policing success.

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,878
    edited April 22

That's a pretty weak argument. The police have limited resources but also little to no control over the demand on those resources (and practically little way of increasing manpower), they also don't get paid more for taking on more 'work'.

• rick_chasey
    edited April 22

Little or no control over demand, lol.

I mean, they could catch the criminals. Give over.

• monkimark

Yes, why haven't the police chiefs thought of that? 😒

So if 100 protests are planned for tomorrow, they should still be able to resource them all?

You can't think the world is that simple.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,150

Does your company depend on how much public funding they are given to have enough people to do their job?

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,088

I think we're spinning off into the realms of fantasy policing. Given a crowd of 20,000, how many police do you think you would need to operate your zero tolerance approach without the police themselves being in serious danger? Or do we just go full authoritarian and start shooting into crowds?

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • monkimark

Just draft in a load of recruitment consultants to sort out the next riots 😄

• rick_chasey

Feel free to share your profession so we can opine on how qualified you are to discuss cycling.

• rick_chasey
    edited April 22

Yeah, so how much problems is this wind up merchant really going to cause?

I appreciate in the modern world the idea that we arrest people for breaking the law is novel. The police always have an excuse not to. Not enough, police, not enough funding, blah blah.

• monkimark

I'm a construction project manager, I don't know a massive amount about cycling, knock yourself out.

• secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,027

Had not realised, Falter is not some random guy going about his business, he has been a high profile anti-semitism campaigner for many years. His face might well have been known to the police, hat or no hat.

• Pross

So the real issue here is yet another chip on your shoulder, this one being the police?

There are plenty of examples of the police being more "proactive" and then being criticised for a heavy handed response - see the miner's strike, G20 protests. I suspect you'd be complaining in those instances too, I remember plenty were on here with the G20 protests, it really is a case of damned if they do damned if they don't. I watched a documentary on The Met that was filmed after all the scandals that saw Cressida Dick resign. In one instance they were called to a reported knife incident in a fast food restaurant and responded as you would hope. When they arrived the person didn't have a knife and they were completely surrounded by people filming them and complaining about police over-reaction, WTF are they supposed to do?

• rjsterry
    edited April 22

A bit more than you or me, and I would have been asked to find another route as well. Same as if I pulled an Iknowmyrights stunt and wanted to walk through an EDL march to prove a point.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey

I think it can be fair to say that the guy is a wind up merchant, that's his bit, and that his wind up merchant bit proves his point; that it is potentially unsafe to be visibly Jewish around these protests.

Now I get that the rozzer needs to keep the peace and uphold the law, but it's quite plain to see that he understands the problem with that lack of safety.

Now, he's doing the "keep the peace bit" but he's not really doing the "upholding the law" bit, and I can entirely see why if you're Jewish that gives anxiety.

Furthermore, because the pro Palestine movement is largely a lefty thing, there's some massive blind spots about the motives and the impacts of these demonstrations, and it does my head in.

If I'm a Jew, it's hard not to read the rozzer as saying "yeah, it is unsafe, and we can't protect you, so we'll move you" which is what the police always do - blame the vicitm because it's less hassle in the moment.

• briantrumpet

"If I'm a Jew who deliberately wants to wind up protesters or get arrested while being filmed, to further my agenda..."

• Pross

I suspect the police would do similar if either a Jew or a Palestinian were to try something similar with an EDL protest. They're not doing it for any biased reasons and it doesn't prove a point at all. If you are a member of a group that is being protested about then it isn't a good idea to try to act in a way that will wind up that group. It's not the same thing as people from that group being unable to go about their day to day business when there isn't a protest happening which of course they should be free to do.

• rjsterry

At the risk of putting thoughts in the police's heads, I think it's unsafe predominantly because he's made it clear he is intent on provocation rather than it being unsafe because he's Jewish.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet

And I'd suggest that the transcript evidences that they were trying to do exactly that, in effect "If you're just trying to get somewhere safely, we'll help you." But it looks plain that he wanted to put himself in harm's way, or get arrested: not actions of someone who just wanted to get somewhere safely.

• briantrumpet

Like Falter, Braverman "just wants them [pro-Palestinian marches] banned". That's the agenda.

• monkimark

Maybe there are antisemitic thugs in the crowd but i don't think inciting violence and then arresting the participants is a good idea for anybody involved.

I have flicked through the full length video and it seemed like the police officer was being polite, calm and professional throughout.

I'm not sure what you think the correct response would be in that situation RC?

• rjsterry

Preemptively identify the individuals in the crowd who will respond with violence to the provocation and arrest them before they have a chance to commit a crime is I think what is being suggested.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760

It looks like he did do some walking against the flow while a march was going on and didn't get beaten up. Must have been very disappointed.

• monkimark

Didn't the proposed accommodation get sold to locals?