Join the Labour Party and save your country!

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,866

He made a written promise when he was made a lord to become a permanent resident of the UK, then didn't. That's why he's no longer in the House of Lords, despite still being called Lord.

You said before that you thought it was probably inadvertent if she had underpaid her taxes - is that "dodging" in your view? Or is it only now that she has had advice you haven't seen from a tax expert that it becomes possible "dodging"?

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,846

That's why I said 'possibly'. I guess we'll find out at some point.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,209

Sure it's possible. Let us know when you find some evidence.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666

I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt for now on intent. However as she claims to have now received advice on the matter that allegedly clears her, why not publish the advice?

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    edited April 4

I've already shown you some facts which you have failed to debunk - a vague statement on the last page about hearsay doesn't cut it. Clearly there are some hearsay point but there are also some facts which you're trying to ignore as it suits you to do that. If you can address each point adequately and show why it is incorrect then you may have a point.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,297

If she has been given advice saying she's done nothing wrong she probably doesn't care what anyone thinks. The proof of the pudding will be if HMRC take any action. Do you accept that if they don't then she hasn't done anything wrong? They might not always be on the ball but they generally catch up with people who have made errors, deliberate or otherwise, and with the accusations that have been made I assume they'll be all over her. If she has done wrong then I would expect them to make her pay up with interest and penalty charges as appropriate. I really don't see why it needs any more than that.

• kingstongraham

OK, so if the HMRC disagree with the advice and she does end up having to pay £2000, then she gets the benefit of the doubt and she wasn't dodging, whereas if the HMRC agree with the advice she was given and she doesn't have to pay it, then... erm...

I don't see the scandal here unless HMRC decide it's deliberate.

• rjsterry

The facts don't add up to a presumption of underpayment of CGT, let alone electoral fraud. You're just choosing that interpretation because of the colour of the rosette. On another case you made a point of saying that people should be given the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise: prove otherwise.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry

It's fun to read back the comments on here on Zahawi (who also didn't resign for underpayment of tax) 😁.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• kingstongraham

I guess she might have to apologise if the HMRC say there was an inaccuracy and that it was "careless", but I can't see that it's a "setting up a trust in Gibraltar and putting £27m into it without considering there might be tax implications" level of carelessness.

• Stevo_666

If HMRC investigate and take no action then it's fair to say she's in the clear. However given their duty of confidentiality, they can't disclose their findings. Clearly Rayner may do so though and if shedoes have to cough up and is fined by HMRC she is unlikely to say so.

• Stevo_666

I thought you said you were out?

The level of penalties vary depending on whether it is seen as deliberate, careless etc. Even if not deliberate, it can still be classed as careless which still attracts fines, albeit at a lower level.

As I said, the amounts are likely not to be large but it's the principle.

• Stevo_666

Well everyone should have someone to defend them.

And as none of the claimed non-Labour supporters on here were going to cast a cynical eye over her claims that she did nothing wrong, I felt it was in the public interest to do so 🙂

• Stevo_666

I think that on the balance of probabilities, they do. See my reasoning upthread and let me know what you disagree with.

Whether she will be found to have been in the wrong remains to be seen, as I've already said.

• rjsterry

The Dan Hodges/DM thing is quite fun to watch. I think there are now two tax experts patiently explaining and re-explaining why the things he has written are incorrect, but he seemingly can't concede so on and on it goes.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,810

Yeah, I saw a Dan Neidle thread doing exactly that, but hesitated to post it here, despite his popularity amongst forum members.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
  • rjsterry
    edited April 9

Not sure that's true. Who's the audience? If it was Labour supporters they have been disappointed. I think some thought he was supporting Rayner but they've now realised he isn't. Hodges seems to have got sucked into this and is now attacking Neidle because the latter has pointed out his muddled understanding of CGT.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666

Police now investigating Rayner:

Appears that the focus is on possible electoral law breaches - as you would expect, given that it's HMRC's job to investigate underpayments of tax.

• Pross

"The police investigation has been prompted by a complaint from Tory deputy chairman James Daly.

A police spokesperson said: "We're investigating whether any offences have been committed. This follows a reassessment of the information provided to us by Mr Daly.""

A complaint has been made and they're following up as you would expect. Police also investigated 'Beergate' in the same way. Maybe they'll find that in this case it is more than a bit of tittle tattle from neighbours to a person with highly vested interests in making something of it in which case the appropriate action needs to be taken. Who knows?

• Stevo_666

Hopefully the police investigation will throw up the answers. It does imply that the police feel there is something worth investigating.

• kingstongraham

I'm glad to hear that the resource issues in the police are all fully resolved.

• kingstongraham

I can help you there - there is no breach of electoral law here that is worth the police investigating. It is about 10 years past the cut off time for any offence to be prosecuted.

I think the guy reporting it to the police will turn out to be a tactical mistake - when they come out and say there's nothing for them to investigate it gives Rayner a chance of claiming a win for absolutely nothing.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

They won’t investigate burglaries, bike thefts, phone thefts and vandalism. Why do the Tories expect them to find something here?

• carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,776

It’s job done already. Average punter will remember the investigation and will quote ‘they are all the same’ rhetoric to justify his right wing vote regardless of the outcome.

2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • rjsterry

Harder to refuse a complaint from an MP. Which is why people go to constituency surgeries, so not sure that is a bad thing. One would assume that Rayner and Starmer are pretty certain of their position by now and are possibly enjoying winding up the Mail and Telegraph.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205

You would imagine the former Director of Crown Prosecution will have a fairly good handle on what could be prosecuted and what can't. And wouldn't publicly back her unless he was sure.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,065

She has declared that she will resign if any criminal wrongdoing is found.

Either she is confident, or it is refreshing.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross

My wife had £50 stolen from her handbag in work a few days ago (she runs a hub for people with learning disabilities and other vulnerable adults and knew who it was who’d taken it). The police came the next day and did DNA swabs on her bag - apparently fingerprinting would have damaged it beyond repair. In the end the culprits mother called the office and he went in to return the money as it turns out he’s a bit of a klepto and can stop himself. However, it goes to show that once again your experience isn’t necessarily a global experience. Maybe have a word with your police and crime commissioner, ours are coming up for re-election soon.

• Stevo_666

Yep, it was a good plan in that respect I think.

But let's see what comes out of the investigations anyway, it's always a bonus to be able to skewer some leftie hypocrisy.